Official Harman Kardon SB26 Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I just picked one of these up and noticed there wasn't a thread for them really, there is one for my TV in that section why not learn more about the Soundbar.

Maybe use this thread to figure out problems and tune this in correctly for the best experiance

Any tips/tricks with this sound bar?

Any issues you have?

Here is a PDF of manual

http://www.harmankardon.com/images/media/SB26_OM_EN.pdf

To start it out i dont understand the crossover that well, anyone care to give input? What setting do you have it on and what do you use the soundbar for??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 03-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love the Harman Kardon SB26! However, I wish I could disable the Bluetooth.
post #3 of 62 Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Liked: 10

Why do you wish you could disable the bluetooth?

I just bought one, but I have not opened it yet. I may take it back and get something else...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 PM

My neighbor's iPad keeps connecting to it. It has stop, because I asked them to be careful.
post #5 of 62 Old 05-21-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Bump! How you guys liking this system? This is one of my choices I'm looking at. Would like to hear an updated review. Thanks!

post #6 of 62 Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 AM

I love the SB26. The sound quality and bass are great, especially in my open concept apartment. The voice quality is clear and both my wife and I can hear the voices perfect. Connecting through the HDMI also works great. I have my sony S790 and PS4 connect, no issues so far. I would highly recommend the SB26.
post #7 of 62 Old 08-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 82
firmware update available:

http://ca.harmankardon.com/harman-ka...k-sb-2630.html

fixes the volume jump from 1 - 2.
post #8 of 62 Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 AM

Liked: 0
can i update this on my australian model of sb26?

cheers
post #9 of 62 Old 05-01-2015, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CEC volume control on SB26 ?

Helo, guys

I am just curious to know if the SB26 has CEC volume control in order to control its volume from the TV remote or if it is just possible through the infra red learning function.

Thanks
post #10 of 62 Old 05-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Jacques Adragna View Post
Helo, guys

I am just curious to know if the SB26 has CEC volume control in order to control its volume from the TV remote or if it is just possible through the infra red learning function.

Thanks
Yes, it does have both CEC volume control and learning mode. It works well with my TV (Panasonic), but I have read posts of some having problems with CEC compatibility with their TV.
post #11 of 62 Old 05-04-2015, 12:12 PM

thanks, Scandy
I just ordered my SB26 this afternoon so i'll tell if it works with a Sony TV soon.
post #12 of 62 Old 05-05-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Jacques Adragna View Post
thanks, Scandy
I just ordered my SB26 this afternoon so i'll tell if it works with a Sony TV soon.
I work for an electronics distributor to the OEM RV market. I have one of these in my showroom that can be easily paired with a current Sony or Samsung TV if you guys have any questions before purchasing.
post #13 of 62 Old 05-09-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy3535 View Post
I work for an electronics distributor to the OEM RV market. I have one of these in my showroom that can be easily paired with a current Sony or Samsung TV if you guys have any questions before purchasing.

Hello

Just received mine and kinda little disappointed, actually.

Sound is good, yes, but nothing to die for.

CEC does not work. When plugging the SB26 on my old Sony TV, TV "sees" the SB26 as an audio system and acts as such (lists "SB26 in the connected peripherals list / turns off its speakers and indicates on its OSD that it send volume +/- commands to an audio system) but SB26 will never respond to volume and on/off commands. May it be due to the fact that I don't have ARC, just CEC ... (I'm using HDMI + optical to connect the bar to the TV)

Is there any way to know what is the FW version on the SB26 ? first think would be to update ...

My 15 year old low end Focal - Denon stereo sounds a hundred times better, but the SB 26 has a better Woman Acceptance Factor, so I'll certainly have to use learning IR function and keep this bar, anyway.

thanks for your help
post #14 of 62 Old 05-09-2015, 07:35 AM

This was copied from Harman Kardon's software upgrade instructions:

To see if its software requires an upgrade, please follow these steps:
1. Connect SB 26 to a TV via HDMI TV connector.
2. Power ON SB26 and press the “Volume +” and the “Bluetooth” buttons simultaneously.
3. The software version will display on TV.
4. If the software MCU version shown is “25”, your Sound bar has the latest software version already, and no further action is needed
5. If the TV shows a version lower than this, please proceed and carry out the upgrade according to the installation instructions.
post #15 of 62 Old 05-17-2015, 09:09 AM

Hello, Scandy
Thanks for your prompt reply (and apologies for my late answers)
I have the software version 25 and I read a review on Amazon explaining the same as I described, so I think the CEC feature is actually not totally implemented on SB26 and I have to live with that.
post #16 of 62 Old 05-19-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just did the software update for my SB26. Got it working...

Last edited by TooTall87; 05-19-2015 at 09:41 AM.
post #17 of 62 Old 06-09-2015, 10:30 AM

I can't get the surround sound mode to stay on... if I use the button on the SB26 the light stays on in white for maybe 5 seconds and then goes out. If I use the remote I can use a couple of different modes to get the surround light to come on in white and amber... but they both go out after about 5 seconds. It does this both from the TV (ARC connection) and Bluetooth (android and iphone streaming music). Is the unit broken or am I doing something wrong? Manual states the light should be illuminated white/amber/blue when in surround mode.

Thanks,
Jason
post #18 of 62 Old 06-09-2015, 03:15 PM

punchy7080, It is working correctly.

When you first press the surround mode button, the light on the soundbar lights up to tell you which mode it is in. White = Stereo, Amber = Surround. If you then press the button a second time, it will toggle the mode between Stereo and Surround. After you set the surround sound mode, the light stays on for a few seconds, then it turns off. It is supposed to turn off, it does not stay illuminated.
post #19 of 62 Old 06-10-2015, 05:16 AM

Thanks so much, very appreciated!
post #20 of 62 Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
punchy7080, It is working correctly.

When you first press the surround mode button, the light on the soundbar lights up to tell you which mode it is in. White = Stereo, Amber = Surround. If you then press the button a second time, it will toggle the mode between Stereo and Surround. After you set the surround sound mode, the light stays on for a few seconds, then it turns off. It is supposed to turn off, it does not stay illuminated.
Okay, I have another question and then should be 100% good to go. I initally had some trouble getting the audio from my Vizio tv to consistently come through the SB26. When it would not work, we'd change back to tv speakers obviously. What I finally figured out is that this also changes the CEC settings which have to be changed back for the audio to go to the SB26 via ARC connection. My problem is that this connection does not seem to stay "active". I turn tv speakers off, CEC on and hit "TV" input on my HK remote app on my phone... everything works great. I can turn the TV and DISH box off and then right back on and my sound comes back on through the SB26. However, it seems that if I leave the tv off for longer periods of time, that connection gets lost and I have to go into my app and hit the "TV" source input button again to get audio back to the SB26. This surely cannot be how this is supposed to work. The SB26 lights up (power button turns white) when I turn on my tv and DISH Joey, but I don't get sound until actually hit the "TV" input button on the app. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!
post #21 of 62 Old 06-12-2015, 08:12 AM

From what you wrote, it sounds like my SB26 is acting the same way. I have a Panasonic 60ZT60 plasma TV and I am also using the ARC connection. For some reason, the SB26 does not remember to stay on the HDMI TV input when it is shut off.

When I turn my TV on or off, the SB26 also turns on and off like it should, but I always have to press the HDMI TV button on the remote to get the ARC audio to work. For some reason, the SB26 is always set to HDMI 1 when it is turned on. It would be better if it stayed set to HDMI TV, but I guess it is not too inconvenient to have to press the HDMI TV button after turning it on.
post #22 of 62 Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 AM

remote for SB 26

I just received this yesterday and spent several frustrating hours trying to use. I mounted on wall, but can not get the remote to work from my seat which is not that far away. 10 Feet maybe. Any ideas? I have to stand inches from it to to get it to work at all.
post #23 of 62 Old 07-22-2015, 10:42 AM

Dead batteries in remote? I routinely use mine at distances up to 15 feet with no problems.
post #24 of 62 Old 09-01-2015, 06:14 PM

When I turn my TV on or off, the SB26 also turns on and off like it should, but I always have to press the HDMI TV button on the remote to get the ARC audio to work. For some reason, the SB26 is always set to HDMI 1 when it is turned on. It would be better if it stayed set to HDMI TV, but I guess it is not too inconvenient to have to press the HDMI TV button after turning it on.[/QUOTE]

I'm experiencing something similar. Everytime I turn my LG 4K tv on, it activates the sound bar and turns it on, however I don't get any sound. It will only produce sound when I power the SB26 off and then on again. It is particularly annoying that i have to do this everytime I turn off the TV. I am using the hdmi arc. Anyone discover a fix for this?
post #25 of 62 Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Should the sb26's subwoofer volume be very loud? Even turned.all the.way to max my sub
post #26 of 62 Old 11-23-2015, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What confuses me is that there's an app for this unit and people say they use it.

How is that possible. This unit is not network capable, how are you guys using this Android app?

Last edited by sannitig; 11-23-2015 at 10:10 PM.
post #27 of 62 Old 01-01-2016, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
What confuses me is that there's an app for this unit and people say they use it.

How is that possible. This unit is not network capable, how are you guys using this Android app?
Enable blue tooth and download he app. It's a bit clunky but you should be able to see the SB26 and control it in the app
post #28 of 62 Old 01-01-2016, 11:30 PM

Volume display

Hi

I've got a Panasonic 60GT50 and have the SB26 plugged into my HDMI2 ARC, but it doesn't change the volume. Also is there a way to know the volume level on this sound At?

Thanks
post #29 of 62 Old 01-02-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arahambone View Post
Hi

I've got a Panasonic 60GT50 and have the SB26 plugged into my HDMI2 ARC, but it doesn't change the volume. Also is there a way to know the volume level on this sound At?

Thanks
When you use the ARC output from the TV, you will not see any onscreen display of volume levels, or any other parameters. In order to see the volume level, you have to route your video signal to the sound bar first (using one of the SB26's HDMI inputs). Then, when you select the ARC input from your TV (which on my TV is HDMI 2), you will see the onscreen display for the SB26.

I have the 60ZT60 so I am not sure if it will be the same for you, but I could not change the volume using the TV's remote until I put the soundbar into remote learning mode and 'taught' it the volume up/down from the Panasonic remote. It worked OK after that.
post #30 of 62 Old 01-02-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
When you use the ARC output from the TV, you will not see any onscreen display of volume levels, or any other parameters. In order to see the volume level, you have to route your video signal to the sound bar first (using one of the SB26's HDMI inputs). Then, when you select the ARC input from your TV (which on my TV is HDMI 2), you will see the onscreen display for the SB26.

I have the 60ZT60 so I am not sure if it will be the same for you, but I could not change the volume using the TV's remote until I put the soundbar into remote learning mode and 'taught' it the volume up/down from the Panasonic remote. It worked OK after that.
So that did work, thanks. I didn't realize the sound bar would be the switch, I was using the TV. Only problem now is that the SB only has 2 HDMI inputs and I have 3 devices. I think I can plug one of my sources directly to the TV and use the optical as input on the sound bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Harman Kardon Sb26 Advanced Soundbar With Bluetooth And Powered Wireless Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page