New Sony HTCT370 SoundBar - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 61 Old 11-23-2014, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw this in the best buy ad for black friday. @249. also on amazon for the same price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 11-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentElite View Post
Saw this in the best buy ad for black friday. @249. also on amazon for the same price.
Same price directly from Sony. If you've never had a Sony Card, you can apply and get an additional $100 statement credit.

I ordered one last night to go with my 40" Samsung in my bedroom.
post #33 of 61 Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can soundbars get anywhere near the audio quality of a stereo amp with separate speakers? Are these strictly for movie viewing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 61 Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 AM

I just purchased this to replace my YAS-101 bar for the main purpose of getting better dialog and a wireless sub, as well as HDMI inputs. It blows away the YAS-101 in every regard.

My dilemma now is do I have this thing set up properly? I've run into the issue above of it being set to TV input when I first turn it on. I'm trying to make this as simple as possible without fumbling through remotes. My current setup is as follows:

Soundbar -> TV ARC
Xbox One -> Soundbar HDMI 1
ATT Uverse box -> Soundbar HDMI 2

Should the external devices be hooked directly to the TV instead? Would this allow it to be set to only the "TV" input and forget it? The TV does 5.1 passthrough so I'm not sure if there's a need for the soundbar to be the device of record.
post #35 of 61 Old 12-01-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help????

Hi, I'm new to this forum but hopefully can get the help I need! Basically I really want to buy this sony sound bar but I'm in a bit of a pickle, my Sony TV is on the wall in my living room with 1 hdmi lead ran through the wall to it. I have a HDMI switcher down to my skybox, apple tv box, ps4. Im basically looking for ideas on how i could connect a sound bar to the tv with minimum work (i.e running more cables in walls). Any help would be massively appreciated.
Thanks Ross.
post #36 of 61 Old 12-02-2014, 07:30 AM

Has anybody been able to figure out the default to "TV" problem ? This is a real pain and likely a deal breaker.
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Gordon
post #37 of 61 Old 12-02-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswyman View Post
Has anybody been able to figure out the default to "TV" problem ? This is a real pain and likely a deal breaker.
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Gordon
Ditto on this. Love the sound of this bar for my apartment living room, but this TV default is getting annoying even after 2 nights of use. Also wish it would just skip over blank inputs rather than having to cycle through them all to go from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1.
post #38 of 61 Old 12-04-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behic View Post
Ditto on this. Love the sound of this bar for my apartment living room, but this TV default is getting annoying even after 2 nights of use. Also wish it would just skip over blank inputs rather than having to cycle through them all to go from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1.
Ok, I figured something out on my system, depending on your set up it might help you. I have four HDMI inputs on my tv with one of them marked ARC. I have been using the soundbar as my switch (for cable box and Blu-ray) with the output going to the ARC input on the tv. I tried using an optical cable and everything else you can image and couldn't get by the soundbar going to "TV" mode and having to manually move it back to "HDMI1".

I quit using the soundbar as the switch, plugged the cable box in my tv hdmi 1, the Blu-ray in tv hdmi 3, and the output of the soundbar into tv hdmi 2(ARC). Nothing plugged into the soundbar HDMI inputs. When the tv is powered up, the soundbar comes up in "TV" mode however now the sound from whatever active source you are watching is routed to the soundbar. I have tried cable box, over the air tv, Netflix from the tv internet connection and the Blu-ray.

Its all good, even my wife is happy, one remote.
And you know what they say about happy wife. Life is grand.

Gordon
post #39 of 61 Old 12-04-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I quit using the soundbar as the switch, plugged the cable box in my tv hdmi 1, the Blu-ray in tv hdmi 3, and the output of the soundbar into tv hdmi 2(ARC). Nothing plugged into the soundbar HDMI inputs. When the tv is powered up, the soundbar comes up in "TV" mode however now the sound from whatever active source you are watching is routed to the soundbar. I have tried cable box, over the air tv, Netflix from the tv internet connection and the Blu-ray.
Thank you for the confirmation. I was hoping to avoid that and just have the soundbar be the automatic switch when an input is used, but it doesn't seem to be the case for my Vizio e550i setup with Uverse, Vizio apps and an Xbox One. I think it might have to do with the always on nature of the Uverse box, which then prevents the soundbar to switching automatically to "TV" when a TV app like Netflix or Pandora is opened. Sound still comes through but of what is on the Uverse box, even though the app is running. Turning on the Xbox One however forces the bar to change inputs.

I'll plug everything into the TV tonight and go this route for easiest access.
post #40 of 61 Old 12-04-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I have been using the soundbar as my switch (for cable box and Blu-ray) with the output going to the ARC input on the tv. I tried using an optical cable and everything else you can image and couldn't get by the soundbar going to "TV" mode and having to manually move it back to "HDMI1".

Gordon

I just set up my new HT-CT370 and do NOT have this problem, it stays on HDMI 1 or what ever the soundbar was last switched to.

I got this Sony because my tv only has 2 HDMI ports and I needed to add more. It does not have an ARC port. Using the ARC port is only necessary if audio is to be sent from the TV to the soundbar. If all the devices go first to the sound bar then out to the TV, try using a HDMI port on the TV that is not ARC, I suspect the TV sends out a wake up call over the ARC to the soundbar when the TV is turned on and this causes the soundbar to default to "TV".

Just a suggestion worth a try, I don't have ARC on the TV so I cant test it out.
yo-mama likes this.
post #41 of 61 Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can I control this with the standard DirecTV remote for Vol & Mute?

On this Sony HT-CT370 sound bar has anyone been able to control the vol and mute from the standard DirecTV remote?

In the DirecTV remote setup feature for "AV1" which would be for an external "audio system" they have many Sony sound bar models very close by model #, but they don't seem to have this exact one. It would be a deal breaker for my 80 yr. old in laws if I have to introduce another remote to their daily routine. Otherwise, this looks like a great product. DirecTV lists the CT350, CT260, CT550, CT660, CT150, CT260H, but no CT370. Hope someone can help soon. I am teeing this up for a Christmas present.

Thx DD
post #42 of 61 Old 12-09-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by behic View Post
I just purchased this to replace my YAS-101 . . . . It blows away theYAS-101 in every regard. . . . .I've run into the issue . . . . .I'm trying to make this as simple as possible without fumbling through remotes.
Sounds like the Yamaha at least did a bit better in this department. Too bad Sony didn't design the unit to learn remote codes like the Yamaha does. (Yes, even Fios codes) Otherwise the Sony is a great unit.
post #43 of 61 Old 12-10-2014, 04:04 PM

Liked: 11
It's Samsung TV with Anynet+ that forces any CEC enabled soundbar with HDMI input to the TV input after it turns on. Is this the common TV here?
post #44 of 61 Old 12-11-2014, 12:13 PM
OT7

Liked: 16
I just purchased the CT370 unit and am experiencing the same issue 'defaulting to TV instead of HDMI with no sound output'.
Have to press Input once to get TV sound. Have ARC hooked up.
post #45 of 61 Old 12-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT7 View Post
I just purchased the CT370 unit and am experiencing the same issue 'defaulting to TV instead of HDMI with no sound output'.
Have to press Input once to get TV sound. Have ARC hooked up.
Did you try it connected to the TV HDMI port NOT marked ARC?
post #46 of 61 Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A possible Fix for the HDMI/ARC issue

I bought this unit for our other room. It works well. Here is my layout.

I have a w700b , a ps3, a comcast cable box and the htct370. One HDMI goes from the HTCT370 HDMI/ARC output to the TV HDMI/ARC Input. For apps on the TV, I have an optical going from the TV to the HTCT370. I have the PS3 and cable box going to the TV via HDMI. On/off and volume of all systems (except the PS3) is controlled by my comcast remote (can also do Menu functions and Home Key on the TV).

When I turn on the system, it defaults to TV mode and I get sound on all inputs. Even with the optical cord removed.

If you are setting it up this way or similarly, make sure to check the HTCT370 settings. It is possible that you have accidentally turned ARC off. See page 12-13 of the sound bar manual (not the set-up guide).
post #47 of 61 Old 12-12-2014, 09:38 AM
OT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3tro74 View Post
Did you try it connected to the TV HDMI port NOT marked ARC?
Need HDMI ARC for CEC Blu-ray player.
If I turn on soundbar power first, then TV I get TV audio.
Fixed , in settings set P. Thru Auto to On.
Now turn on TV and get soundbar sound.
Also set AAV to On.

Last edited by OT7; 02-16-2015 at 04:15 PM.
post #48 of 61 Old 01-01-2015, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm debating between this bar, and the previous model (ht-ct260) that's on clearance for $180 at target.com. I'm hooking up to my new XBR65x850b which has a beautiful picture but annoyingly bad speakers. Is this bar worth the extra $100? I'm planning to use the ARC function since my wife hates having anything other than one button or remote to turn the system on. Is the ARC issue discussed here also systemic to the prior year model? And finally, is the 770 worth the extra $100 over the 370, and $200 over the 260? Thanks!
post #49 of 61 Old 01-03-2015, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Easy to set up and sounds great

I bought the HTC370 soundbar yesterday and set it up only using the soundbar's hdmi arc port:

HTCT370 ARC -> TV ARC

I changed the TV sound setting from TV Speaker to Audio system.
Soundbar setting is TV.
Power and volume is still controlled by my TIVO remote. When I turn on/off the tv, the soundbar does the same.

Thank you for all the comments that helped me set this up.

I love this soundbar because of the low profile and black color. It blends in with the TV which I have on a stand on a console.
All other soundbars I have seen seemed so big and bulky.
It was very easy to set up my phone to play music via bluetooth.
The sound is great.
post #50 of 61 Old 01-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I just picked up this sound bar and am having problems with the audio setup.

I have HDMI out of my cable box into the sound bar, and then I connect the soundbar to the TV via HDMI.

I can't figure out how to use the TV speakers and NOT the sound bar.

If sound bar is off, TV audio won't work

If sound bar is on with volume down all the way, TV audio still won't work.

Do I have to hookup cable box to TV direct and use optical out of TV into soundbar? Am I missing something?

The TV is a Sony KDL60W630B
post #51 of 61 Old 01-17-2015, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bill,

Connect the hdmi from cable box to an hdmi port on tv
Connect the soundbar arc hdmi to the arc hdmi port on tv

Then use the remote you have been using. The tv should detect that you have external speakers connected and automatically change from tv speakers to external speakers.

My Sony tv does this. When you turn the tv on, it detects the soundbar and takes 2 seconds to adjust and sound to come out of the soundbar.
When you turn the tv off, the soundbar will turn off.
post #52 of 61 Old 01-21-2015, 10:50 AM

Will ARC give me the best sound?

I bought this soundbar along with the new Sony LED 60W630B. Both the Soundbar and TV have enough HDMI inputs for my needs.

I currently watch OTA (coax into the TV) but also use the Time Warner App on Roku. I also use Netflix and VUDU from the Roku. I do not use the TV's apps or a Blu-ray.

I currently use the soundbar as the HDMI switch with the Roku plugged into the soundbar via HDMI. The soundbar and TV are connected via ARC and optical. Im not sure optical was necessary but I plugged it in anyway.

Below are my questions i'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. When watching OTA via the "TV" input, how do I know if the sound is being passed through via HDMI or optical?

2. When watching OTA, this TV does pass 5.1 but does it even matter if its going to a 2.1 soundbar? Of is the sound down converted?

3. To get the best sound, should I use ARC even though I have an available HDMI input on BOTH the TV and Soundbar? Ive read that ARC only passes DD and not Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. But what about DD+ which is what Netflix passes on most of its movies. This soundbar decodes all of the above.

4. Does the #3 even matter if the source (ie Roku) is plugged directly into the soundbar? If the soundbar is decoding the format and using HDMI ARC to send the video, I don't need to worry about it sending sound to the actual TV, correct?

I understand what you get with ARC from a remote control standpoint but Im using a Harmony so that's not my concern. Im most interested in getting the best possible sound for this particular setup.

Thanks for your help!
post #53 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 AM
OT7

Had to go into settings to set P. Thru Auto to On. To fix no soundbar sound when power on TV.
Now turn on TV and get soundbar sound in 20 seconds.
Also set AAV to On. Better volume control.
post #54 of 61 Old 03-18-2015, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Recently got one of these and a Sony KDL55W700B TV.

I have my TiVo, DVD player, Media Player, Wii connected to the TV - HDMI ARC to the soundbar.

Turning on the TV turns out the soundbar, because HDMI control is turned on.

One thing I have noticed is it seems to lock out using the soundbar remote. Is this normal? To me it doesn't seem like it should. Makes it hard to connect the Bluetooth without walking up to the soundbar itself. Also - I can't get into the menu system because the remote response isn't working.

Second thing I notice is that sometimes the soundbar seems to make a sound before the TV switches the speakers to the external soundbar. Hard to explain - almost like the TV is trying to decide to switch to the external speakers and is making a clicking sound.

Turning off the TV doesn't turn off the soundbar, but I know why that is.

Maybe some of this a non high speed HDMI cable issue? It is an older cable.

Thoughts?
post #55 of 61 Old 03-23-2015, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa7 View Post
Bill,

Connect the hdmi from cable box to an hdmi port on tv
Connect the soundbar arc hdmi to the arc hdmi port on tv

Then use the remote you have been using. The tv should detect that you have external speakers connected and automatically change from tv speakers to external speakers.

My Sony tv does this. When you turn the tv on, it detects the soundbar and takes 2 seconds to adjust and sound to come out of the soundbar.
When you turn the tv off, the soundbar will turn off.
This works great except that to adjust volume I have to stand up every time because the sound bar blocks the IR sensor on the TV that feeds volume info to the soundbar.
post #56 of 61 Old 03-24-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post
This works great except that to adjust volume I have to stand up every time because the sound bar blocks the IR sensor on the TV that feeds volume info to the soundbar.
Find a way to raise the TV so the sound bar is not blocking the IR sensor.
post #57 of 61 Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 PM
TWD
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm thinking about getting this sound bar. Is there a way to defeat/dim the front panel display or is it constantly on?

Thanks

TWD
post #58 of 61 Old 04-06-2015, 01:07 PM
OT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post
I'm thinking about getting this sound bar. Is there a way to defeat/dim the front panel display or is it constantly on?

Thanks
Yes on remote control switch the brightness ( Bright/Dark/Off ) of the bar display.
post #59 of 61 Old 07-02-2015, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

So I have had this bar for a decent amount of time now I must say I still love it. I would not mind doing a true surround but with time.... The reason im posting on this is because. My wife has never seen any of the terminators! Yes, I know why did i marry her. Any way I have the sky net version of T2 I want the audio to be as best as it can with the HT-C370. Do I need to change anything via the blu-ray menu? For best sound? I know this is just a ok sound bar but any suggestions?

The blu-ray is
Audio Formats
English DTS-HD 6.1 Surround (48kHz/16-bit)
English Dolby Digital EX Surround (640kbps)

Digital Surround Formats: The HT-CT370 features Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, as well as support for multi-channel PCM. Supported formats include:
post #60 of 61 Old 07-12-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
can anybody verify if this soundbar does upscaling video to 1080p? It came up in a search I did but I haven't confirmed. also does anyone know if the newer models also do this? 770 and 780's too.

samsung un55hu9000 sek3500 Marantz av7702 Audiocontrol Savoy 7x150 4x MA500U
swope center, tmww fronts, tm surrounds and rears
polk audio OWM3 x4 atmos
4 12" t3 audio subs ep4000 amp 2x15" type r sonotubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page