Adding a subwoofer to Yamaha ATA-1010 / YAS-101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Adding a subwoofer to Yamaha ATA-1010 / YAS-101

Can someone share their experience of adding an external subwoofer to Yamaha ATS-1010 sound bar.

Does it have to be paired with the external sub only once or does it need to be paired every time it's powered up?

The manual says to “Press both the VOLUME – button and Power button of the main unit, release the button first, then release the VOLUME – button.”

It also says “The default setting is playback of the built-in subwoofer.” Does that mean every time I turn on the sound bar it will default to the internal sub even if an external sub is connected?

Do I have to go through the setup every time I want to use the external sub?

Additionally, is it necessary to go through the setup at all if you want to use an external sub? What happens if you plug in a sub, but don't go through the setup? Is there no sound from the external sub?

I am getting a new sub to use with my sound bar and the manual was not helpful.

Can someone using this sound bar with an external sub please advice.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizbar View Post
Can someone share their experience of adding an external subwoofer to Yamaha ATS-1010 sound bar.

Does it have to be paired with the external sub only once or does it need to be paired every time it's powered up?

The manual says to “Press both the VOLUME – button and Power button of the main unit, release the button first, then release the VOLUME – button.”

It also says “The default setting is playback of the built-in subwoofer.” Does that mean every time I turn on the sound bar it will default to the internal sub even if an external sub is connected?

Do I have to go through the setup every time I want to use the external sub?

Additionally, is it necessary to go through the setup at all if you want to use an external sub? What happens if you plug in a sub, but don't go through the setup? Is there no sound from the external sub?

I am getting a new sub to use with my sound bar and the manual was not helpful.

Can someone using this sound bar with an external sub please advice.

Thanks!
Correction, the title should read Adding a subwoofer to Yamaha ATS-1010 / YAS-101.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-05-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 26
According to the manual, you cannot use both subwoofers at the same time. The external sub output will be inactive until it is switched on, which in turn deactivates the internal sub. The bad news is some low midrange is lost when the internal sub is disengaged.

You shouldn't have to reset this each time the unit is powered up as the memory will retain the latest settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-06-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
According to the manual, you cannot use both subwoofers at the same time. The external sub output will be inactive until it is switched on, which in turn deactivates the internal sub. The bad news is some low midrange is lost when the internal sub is disengaged.

You shouldn't have to reset this each time the unit is powered up as the memory will retain the latest settings.
Yes, the manual says you cannot use both subwoofers at the same time; I was just trying to confirm that. Thanks.

The manual was not clear if the external sub needs to be activated each time or one time only, so I thought I'd ask users who may have used a sub with this sound bar. Have you used a sub with this sound bar?

Thanks!
post #5 of 6 Old 11-07-2014, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizbar View Post
Have you used a sub with this sound bar?
No, I use the soundbar mainly for casual TV viewing. Actually surprised how good the bass extension is on this unit. (Only had it for 2 weeks) I read somewhere that some weight/realism is lost on dialogue once the internal sub is disengaged.

I use the surround & sub from my 5.1 system when watching movies & use the Yamaha as the LCR speaker.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-07-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
No, I use the soundbar mainly for casual TV viewing. Actually surprised how good the bass extension is on this unit. (Only had it for 2 weeks) I read somewhere that some weight/realism is lost on dialogue once the internal sub is disengaged.

I use the surround & sub from my 5.1 system when watching movies & use the Yamaha as the LCR speaker.
Thanks for the additional info.

I did find out from Yamaha "when setting up the sub it will stay on its current setting until you either change it or reset the unit, you don't always have to do this procedure every time you turn it on, if you don't go through the set up and connect a external sub then the sound bar will not output audio to the external sub it will only play from the internal sub woofer."

The built-in sub is quite good, so I'm still debating whether an external sub is going to be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
ats-1010 , sound bar , Yamaha , Yas-101

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page