GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array XL 5.1 System Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #61 of 133 Old 01-12-2015, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
I'd imagine pretty well, as long as you can keep the subwoofer fairly close to the GE for imaging purposes.

I have almost the exact same set up in my bedroom, with a GE 3D Array X and Denon AVR-X2100W (which inside is identical to the S900W but with one grade higher Audyssey), and recently paired it with a SVS PC-2000. It's everything I could ask for in my application... TV dialog is now easily understood, movies have impact and music is so much more than you'd think possible with a soundbar. Without a subwoofer the GE would sound pretty flat, given it starts tapering off pretty substantially around about 120hz.
Thanks for the response. I don't have a lot of experience with setting up the receiver. I ran the calibration and when I checked the aud. numbers were all over. Do you suggest manually setting all the speakers to 120 hz and then rerunning aud? I am temporarily using an older sub until I am ready to buy new. It is a sonance son of sub, no tgreat but better than nothing
Also the denon set the speakers to small,is that correct?
Thanks
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 133 Old 01-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs414 View Post
Thanks for the response. I don't have a lot of experience with setting up the receiver. I ran the calibration and when I checked the aud. numbers were all over. Do you suggest manually setting all the speakers to 120 hz and then rerunning aud? I am temporarily using an older sub until I am ready to buy new. It is a sonance son of sub, no tgreat but better than nothing
Also the denon set the speakers to small,is that correct?
Thanks
Rich
Try to run Audyssey again, taking special care to remove any external noises you can (fans, pets, HVAC, kids, yourself, etc) and placing the set up mic correctly. The on-screen instructions do a pretty good job of how to do this in basic function, but there is also a number of very lengthy threads on here going over the more advanced stuff. In any case, I'd recommend running it as described above, and then manually changing the crossover for the GE at 120hz. I played around with a lower cutover, such as 100 or 110, and while they certainly weren't bad and sometimes I preferred these settings, there were cases where the inherent limitations of the speaker proved to be too much leaving a response gap in that 100-120hz area.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #63 of 133 Old 01-12-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Try to run Audyssey again, taking special care to remove any external noises you can (fans, pets, HVAC, kids, yourself, etc) and placing the set up mic correctly. The on-screen instructions do a pretty good job of how to do this in basic function, but there is also a number of very lengthy threads on here going over the more advanced stuff. In any case, I'd recommend running it as described above, and then manually changing the crossover for the GE at 120hz. I played around with a lower cutover, such as 100 or 110, and while they certainly weren't bad and sometimes I preferred these settings, there were cases where the inherent limitations of the speaker proved to be too much leaving a response gap in that 100-120hz area.
Thanks for the help. I will try it again tomorrow when I am alone again. Since I changed the crossovers to 120hz will rerunning the aud. keep those crossovers or will I have to change them again? And the polk surrounds shpould be 120hz too?

Thanks again and have a good night
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 133 Old 01-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I will try it again tomorrow when I am alone again. Since I changed the crossovers to 120hz will rerunning the aud. keep those crossovers or will I have to change them again? And the polk surrounds shpould be 120hz too?

Rich
Re-running Audyssey will wipe out any crossover settings you changed so you'll have to redo it after you run it again. I'm not positive on the capabilities of your rear surrounds... I'd say whatever Audyssey sets them at will probably work fine, if for any reason it's below 80hz I'd probably bump it up to at least 80hz to take the load off your AVR a bit.

How are you liking it so far? Have a good one!

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #65 of 133 Old 01-13-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Re-running Audyssey will wipe out any crossover settings you changed so you'll have to redo it after you run it again. I'm not positive on the capabilities of your rear surrounds... I'd say whatever Audyssey sets them at will probably work fine, if for any reason it's below 80hz I'd probably bump it up to at least 80hz to take the load off your AVR a bit.

How are you liking it so far? Have a good one!
So much better than the TV of coarse. But I just have to get the settings right.
post #66 of 133 Old 01-15-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:

Rich
Re-ran aid. Funny this time the crossovers stayed at 120. Tha sound seems much better.
post #67 of 133 Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Re-ran aid. Funny this time the crossovers stayed at 120. Tha sound seems much better.
Good to hear! The ambient noises in your environment can make a big difference in the calibration, along with where the calibration mic is placed. I still need to re-run mine, last time I ran it a neighbor started running a chainsaw or something half way through.

post #68 of 133 Old 01-15-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
I have a question for my fellow GE owners. I finally had a chance to set up and play around with my SuperCinema X tonight and I'm a bit disappointed in the sound. I can still hear the separation like in the store but overall the sound is, well, dull. It's lacking the clarity that I really liked in the demo. I've never been a believer in the 'speaker break-in' period but I'm wondering if any of you had the speakers sound improve from initial use to now.

I don't have a sub yet so all the bass is going to the SC3DAX. It's not the bass coming from it that's bothering me; it's the lack of detail and clarity. Did any of you play around with and without a sub and notice a difference beyond bass levels?

I'm powering it with a Marantz SR7002, which is a warm to neutral amp, IMO. It went wonderfully with my Klipsch. Maybe the GE likes a brighter sounding amp? IIRC, the store demo'd it with either an Anthem or maybe an Integra unit. I wasn't paying much attention to that, even though I should have.

I figured I'd follow up after I finally figured out what was wrong with my setup. I don't know how but the Dynamic Range Control on my PS3 had been set to on. I turned it off and the soundstage opened up just like I heard in the store. Blu-rays are nice and clear now and the front soundstage expanded left and right quite a bit.

I still think I prefer the sound of Klipsch, and in fact have offered to sell the GE soundbar to someone, but I'm glad to know that it was just a setting in my system causing the issue.
post #69 of 133 Old 01-15-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have the crossover set at 80hz and speakers set to Large seeing as I don't have a sub yet. Maybe I'll try it at 120 and set the speakers to small and see how it changes the sound.

I reset the receiver from the Klipsch setup prior to posting here. The room is 13'x20'x7.5'. I'm not trying to fill the room with sound, though. I'm in a condo so I can't play it too loud.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a matter of sonic signature. I've been listening to Klipsch for 25 years and I'm not used to a laid back speaker. I suspect that after I get a sub I'll be following it up with a new receiver. Is there a popular receiver match with GE? Yamaha, Anthem and Integra come to mind as brighter sounding receivers.
Be sure the speakers are at seated ear level. These speakers have a very limited vertical dispersion. If you can't get them to ear level, elevate the front or back so that they point at your ear level.
post #70 of 133 Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 255
For a couple years now I have owned a Def Tech Mythos SSA50 soundbar. Even though it is a five channel passive soundbar, I have been using it only for three channels (L-C-R). I decided to check out the GoldenEar SuperCinema X model to see how it compares to the Def Tech one I have. I took my SB to a local A/V store that is a GE dealer and a salesperson helped me hook up my soundbar so that we could do an A/B comparison. The Def Tech won the shootout, and it wasn't even close. The GoldenEar produced crystal clear vocals and everything north of say 2000Hz, but the Def Tech had a much broader dynamic range which was very noticeable for the lower frequencies. I went into the store planning to purchase the GE SuperCinema if it performed better then my Def Tech even if by only a small margin. But running them side by side was a real ear opener, the Def Tech really outperformed the GE. So I did not purchase a new soundbar, but I did purchase another pair of speakers so the salesperson got a sale out of the deal.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #71 of 133 Old 04-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mark:

Great review! I was able to demo the original model, the SuperCinema 3D Array X, at my local audio store and was surprisingly impressed! I never would have thought I would be in the market for a soundbar. That being said, you mentioned having your guests sit in the "sweet spot" to fully experience the 3D image optimization magic. Did you observe any sections within your listening area where Interaural Crosstalk Cancellation did not seem to work such as a couple of feet away from the sweet spot? For example, I have a couch which would be 11 feet away from the soundbar that I would consider my sweet spot, but then I have a loveseat to the right that sits perpendicular forming an 'L' shape seating arrangement. Would the effect be lost or significantly reduced when sitting on the loveseat?

Thanks in advance

-Sal
post #72 of 133 Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 717
After hearing the XL I just installed recently a bit more, I am still blown away. The sound dispersion is SO good for music. I can hear it loud and clear when I'm down the hall on either side, yet the sound doesn't seem to travel THROUGH the walls for some reason in this case (120Hz crossover perhaps? The HVFR tweeters?), so perhaps this would be great in apartments and condos. Fantastic for music (RARE for a soundbar). Equally as good for movies.

After getting more hands on experience with it, I'm realizing that I would literally pair my TV to this bar and not the other way around. Coincidentally, the 70" UHD TV I paired with this one came within like an 1/8th of an inch of the bar, so it looks aesthetically perfect, and THAT'S where I'd recommend this the most...in places where towers/bookshelves/etc just won't work. In this case, it was a walkway that crosses right in front of the tv from one hallway to the other and a door on each side. A thin soundbar was literally the only thing that would look right and be out of the walkway. It was a fantastic bonus that the Array XL sounds so freaking good. Sure, for ME, I still prefer beefy towers. In some cases though, this can be a great, elegant solution. Another thing I like about it versus active soundbars, is that being passive, we can keep the receiver and other components on the other side of the room. No distracting bright lights under your main display. Simply a low-profile mounted TV and a bar that blends in well. The way I installed it, there were no visible plugs, wires, or lights. It looks really good.

Highly, highly, highly recommended for those that want a clean setup that actually sounds really darn good!
post #73 of 133 Old 05-07-2015, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Between today and tomorrow I should be receiving my wires/cables, maratz 1403, pb1000 sub and hopefully my super X I ordered last week. I have high expectations as my current setup is a pioneer sp-sb23 I paid $300 for compared to the $2k I just spent.
however I am hugely happy with my current setup minus a couple little things the new setup should fix so I wonder how much better it can get. Also a little worried from those who preferred other passive bars better but everyone is differnt.
Will report in when set up.

EDIT: just saw this is the XL version. Oops lol. I wonder how differnt the extra 12" and 2 midrange make compared to the X.
post #74 of 133 Old 05-07-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2231 View Post
Also a little worried from those who preferred other passive bars better but everyone is differnt.
No need to worry. Like you said, everybody is different. That is why there is not one true "best" speaker out there on the planet. For you, yes, but for everybody, no. As you know, we all perceive sound differently. That's why it's so important to audition speakers when possible. I took the gamble on the XL since there's no local dealer for me, but thankfully was blown away in the end. This one will NOT be going back to the store. If the guy I got it for ended up not being happy with it, then I would have gladly bought it back off him. However, he absolutely loves it too. Yup. It rocks.

Quote:
EDIT: just saw this is the XL version. Oops lol. I wonder how differnt the extra 12" and 2 midrange make compared to the X.
If the XL's proportionate to your TV width-wise, then you are going to be VERY happy. I haven't heard the X, but I can tell you that I believe the width makes for a massively improved sound stage compared to narrower bars I've heard in the past.
post #75 of 133 Old 05-09-2015, 03:55 PM

Okay all put together but having some trouble with audyssey.

EDIT: figured out most of my previous questions but still have some.

Are most here still using bypass L/R for their audyssey setup?

What gets bypassed? Crossover? Levels? Distances?
Individual frequencies I know do but what else does?

Super cinema is sounding awesome, just a few more tweaks and things to figure out with the maratz 1403 it's hooked up to.

Watched interstellar, finally sound that can match the picture quality of the vt60.

Last edited by Ghost2231; 05-16-2015 at 08:32 AM.
post #76 of 133 Old 06-05-2015, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have a picture of the X on a 70" tv? The XL is slightly bigger then the Vizio P series 70 and not sure I'd like how that would look.
post #77 of 133 Old 06-06-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola View Post
Anyone have a picture of the X on a 70" tv? The XL is slightly bigger then the Vizio P series 70 and not sure I'd like how that would look.
I mounted the XL on a Vizio P70, and it turned out PERFECT. The dimensions on the soundbar show it being like a half inch longer, but that's because it's taking the curve of the sidea into account. The top of the XL lines up nearly flush with that TV.

Go with the XL for sure. It's a great match for that P70, and sounds amazing!
post #78 of 133 Old 06-11-2015, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgzarate View Post
Mark:

...., but then I have a loveseat to the right that sits perpendicular forming an 'L' shape seating arrangement. Would the effect be lost or significantly reduced when sitting on the loveseat?

Thanks in advance

-Sal
I am wondering the same thing, mind you in relation to the X not the XL can anyone comment on "off sweet spot performance"?
post #79 of 133 Old 06-12-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just found my cellphone pic of the Vizio P70 with the XL. Excuse the lack of trim and such. The place was under construction.

I'd say it matches up pretty darn well. Beautiful sound bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150501_153831415.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	772137  
post #80 of 133 Old 06-12-2015, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah that looks great. Do you have it mounted to the wall or on a TV bracket. If it's on a TV bracket how close to the TV were you able to get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #81 of 133 Old 06-12-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah that looks great. Do you have it mounted to the wall or on a TV bracket. If it's on a TV bracket how close to the TV were you able to get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The soundbar is mounted straight to the wall using its keyhole slots. The included template was easy to use and worked great to get my holes dead on. It's kind of tough to tell from the picture, but at least with the particular mount I used for that TV, the front of the soundbar aligned beautifully with the front of the TV. We couldn't have planned it better. The P70 and the SuperCinema XL are the perfect match dimension-wise.
post #82 of 133 Old 06-25-2015, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What are you guys using to power the XL and are you happy with the power/sound?
post #83 of 133 Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using mine with an older Onkyo AVR for now. The sound is great and it gets plenty of power. Long term when I finally get the room setup the way I'm intending, I'll upgrade to a newer AVR but that is for more HDMI inputs mainly.
post #84 of 133 Old 07-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you so much for this review. It may be a bit over my budget, but perhaps I'll save up and get one! Thank you again! Very informative.
post #85 of 133 Old 07-10-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Bought the SuperCinema 3D Array X Saturday to go with my SVS PC-2000 and Marantz NR-1504 receiver. I ran Audyssey which set the LCR speaker crossover to 150Hz but I manually dropped them to 120Hz. I kept the Audyssey speaker/sub distance settings and turned on the Dynamic volume to medium. I've read that Audyssey should not be used with the 3D Array but have also read a review where the reviewer used Audyssey to set the speaker distance/phasing and manually adjusted the crossover to 120Hz and set the Audyssey MultEQ setting to Audyssey Byp. L/R which does not optimize the frequency response in the L and R speakers.

Has anyone used this method or do you guys do a manual setup?

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro

Last edited by mbroadus; 07-13-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #86 of 133 Old 07-15-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone on this thread anymore?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #87 of 133 Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 AM

That's pretty high for the lcr to be set at 150hz. I believe it's okay to raise but not lower the crossover. I had a similar problem before figuring out the microphone was to close to back of couch.

I originally used bypass L/R but recently switched to using Audyssey and find it a bit better.

Oh and I use light dynamic volume. I would prefer to have it off but I find dialogue too difficult to hear but find the light setting acceptable.

Last edited by Ghost2231; 07-16-2015 at 11:22 AM.
post #88 of 133 Old 07-16-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's pretty high for the lcr to be set at 150hz. I believe it's okay to raise but not lower the crossover. I had a similar problem before figuring out the microphone was to close to back of couch.

I originally used bypass L/R but recently switched to using Audyssey and find it a bit better.

Oh and I use light dynamic volume. I would prefer to have it off but I find dialogue too difficult to hear but find the light setting acceptable.

Yea, I changes the crossover to 120Hz as suggested in the manual.

Do you have your sound bar mounted or on a shelf? I have mine on a shelf but I'm receiving sound reflections.

post #89 of 133 Old 07-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Yea, I changes the crossover to 120Hz as suggested in the manual.

Do you have your sound bar mounted or on a shelf? I have mine on a shelf but I'm receiving sound reflections.

Mine on shelf as well, it is set 1 inch from the front edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	833242  
post #90 of 133 Old 07-17-2015, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array XL 5.1 System Official AVSForum Review

Quote:
Mine on shelf as well, it is set 1 inch from the front edge.

Thanks...mine is 6-7 inches behind the front edge of my entertainment cabinet and even though I have the Array pointed up to the listening area, the sound reflects off the cabinet. I can't move it forward so I'm thinking of returning it and buying separates.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
frontpage , Goldenear , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page