GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array XL 5.1 System Official AVSForum Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #121 of 133 Old 03-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Current configuration:

WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver

Last edited by Nick V; 03-09-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I posted on "recommend me a soundbar" but thought it made sense to also ask here. I'm deciding between the GE SC3D X and Phase Tech Teatro TSB3.0. No Phase dealers nearby so unfortunately can't test drive both. Price is not the ultimate consideration, but I'm trying to gauge whether the Goldenear is effectively worth paying 50% more for. Couple details on usage:

- 70/30 home theater to music
- I will add a subwoofer but no other speakers
- Room size is 21x17 but the back of the room is entirely open (opens into kitchen)

Reviews for both products individually are very good but haven't found anything comparing the two so would appreciate thoughts from anyone that has had experience with both. Thanks!
post #123 of 133 Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
I don't know about the Teatro TSB 3.0 but the Teatro PC3.0 I would definitely take over the GE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 133 Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Having lived with the 3D Array X for almost a year in my living room system, I can't recommend it highly enough. There is some "magic" built into the crossover and the outer l&r woofer that's designed to reduce "interaural crosstalk" between the front l/r channels, and it works!

When I close my eyes and listen to well recorded music on Tidal (HiFi) the stereo image extends well beyond the physical width of the speaker. Phase Tech makes good speakers (I haven't heard any of their soundbars) but to my knowledge, it's just 3 small speakers built into an enclosure. No "magic".

Mine crosses over to a Rythmik L-12 subwoofer at ~100Hz and sometimes I'm still in awe of what that system can do for the size (and price). My 3D Array X is in a living room that has 19' ceilings (open to two stories), has an open staircase leading to the upstairs, is open to the kitchen and dining area behind the couch and is open to the main hallway leading to the front entrance. In other words, not an ideal space. Together with the Rythmik L-12, this system can fill the area with sound, and it makes real music.
WOLVERNOLE and hingerson like this.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #125 of 133 Old 03-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Having lived with the 3D Array X for almost a year in my living room system, I can't recommend it highly enough. There is some "magic" built into the crossover and the outer l&r woofer that's designed to reduce "interaural crosstalk" between the front l/r channels, and it works!

When I close my eyes and listen to well recorded music on Tidal (HiFi) the stereo image extends well beyond the physical width of the speaker. Phase Tech makes good speakers (I haven't heard any of their soundbars) but to my knowledge, it's just 3 small speakers built into an enclosure. No "magic".

Mine crosses over to a Rythmik L-12 subwoofer at ~100Hz and sometimes I'm still in awe of what that system can do for the size (and price). My 3D Array X is in a living room that has 19' ceilings (open to two stories), has an open staircase leading to the upstairs, is open to the kitchen and dining area behind the couch and is open to the main hallway leading to the front entrance. In other words, not an ideal space. Together with the Rythmik L-12, this system can fill the area with sound, and it makes real music.
You have the exact setup as me, 3D array X paired with a Rythmik L12 and I agree with you the sound is amazing and I also highly recommend!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
post #126 of 133 Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
You have the exact setup as me, 3D array X paired with a Rythmik L12 and I agree with you the sound is amazing and I also highly recommend!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Currently running SC3D XL with two Speedwoofer 10S, powered by a Denon AVR-X4300H. Our Sony 65Z9D stands on a console, with the GE under it. Had to raise the TV 3" to clear the soundbar. Also, angled the SC3D XL upward to direct it at the listeners' ear level. The soundbar is a perfect match to the 62" width of the TV console.

In our 30X16X9 family room, open to the kitchen and a hall on one side, the sound has been very clear and, at higher levels, the sound stage is very wide. The subs are in the front corners, one behind the TV, which sits in a corner and the other behind a large chair in the other corner. Surround is currently handled by a pair of antique Realistic bookshelf speaker that have upgraded crossovers, sitting on stands. They actually do quite well.

Crossover is at 120 as Sandy recommended and I have boosted the center channel a little to make speech clearer. The bass, with the two small subs, is enough to shake the floor and I have had to turn the boost down a bit to keep the wife happy.

After listening to just about every high end soundbar I could find, both powered and passive, I couldn't find a bar that had better sound quality. In our environment, the XL provides a broader soundstage and seems to have a cleaner center channel. I could not go with any of the Atmos bars, due to the corner location of the TV, the openings in the room and the beamed ceiling.

In addition, got the SC3D XL, in brand new condition, for less than half the retail price. That made my choice a no brainer. Oh yes, my support phone call was returned by Sandy Gross. Can't beat that for customer service.

I heartily recommend the Goldenear.
post #127 of 133 Old 03-22-2017, 07:31 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I was leaning towards the GE anyways so it seems like my decision is basically made up now.
post #128 of 133 Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 AM

Had a chance to listen to it this past weekend (and separately the Triton 5's) and was blown away.
post #129 of 133 Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's a good, relatively inexpensive AVR to pair up with the 3D Array XL? It sounds like Audyssey is not necessary, although 4k HDR support would be ideal.

Something like a Denon X2200? Or is that overkill?
post #130 of 133 Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justins123 View Post
What's a good, relatively inexpensive AVR to pair up with the 3D Array XL? It sounds like Audyssey is not necessary, although 4k HDR support would be ideal.

Something like a Denon X2200? Or is that overkill?
I use a Denon AVR X3200 and it's not overkill. I still use Audyssey for the subwoofer and center channel in "bypass l/r" mode. Because of the crossover design, Sandy recommends against using Audyssey on the front l/r channels. I think he actually recommends against it altogether, but I still use it in "bypass l/r" with great results.

post #131 of 133 Old 04-30-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Post deleted

Sony A1E OLED | Yamaha RX-A1060 | Sony UBP-X800 | PS4 | ATV4
B&W 684 S2 | HTM61 S2 | SVS SB12-NSD

Last edited by RolandOG; 04-30-2017 at 03:47 PM.
post #132 of 133 Old 06-06-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've done a ton of reading on the 3D Array XL, it seems like the perfect fit to my problem, but this thread has been quiet for over a year. Has something better come along that I should look into?

I moved into a new house that I absolutely love, however the biggest draw back is the living room is horrible for audio/video. The only place to put the TV is above the fire place, the room is very large, opens to the kitchen, and a stair case to bedrooms upstairs. The ceilings are vaulted and at peak are about 15' high. The wife wants nothing to do with separate speakers and has requested in wall or a sound bar to accompany the room. Everything I have looked at seems to lead me to the GE 3D Array XL.

My current setup is the following:
Denon AVR 1913 (Will want to replace, need 4k passthrough)
Polk Monitor 60 Series II L/R
Polk Center
In Wall Proficient surrounds
Proficient M3 sub (In Wall)

Id like to replace the L/C/R with the 3D Array XL and look to replace the Denon 1913 as well. Any thoughts on what to pair it with? I think the surrounds are probably fine for now unless there is a reason to replace them. Any thoughts are more than welcome.
post #133 of 133 Old 07-21-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craer View Post
I've done a ton of reading on the 3D Array XL, it seems like the perfect fit to my problem, but this thread has been quiet for over a year. Has something better come along that I should look into?

I moved into a new house that I absolutely love, however the biggest draw back is the living room is horrible for audio/video. The only place to put the TV is above the fire place, the room is very large, opens to the kitchen, and a stair case to bedrooms upstairs. The ceilings are vaulted and at peak are about 15' high. The wife wants nothing to do with separate speakers and has requested in wall or a sound bar to accompany the room. Everything I have looked at seems to lead me to the GE 3D Array XL.

My current setup is the following:
Denon AVR 1913 (Will want to replace, need 4k passthrough)
Polk Monitor 60 Series II L/R
Polk Center
In Wall Proficient surrounds
Proficient M3 sub (In Wall)

Id like to replace the L/C/R with the 3D Array XL and look to replace the Denon 1913 as well. Any thoughts on what to pair it with? I think the surrounds are probably fine for now unless there is a reason to replace them. Any thoughts are more than welcome.

To answer your question... "Has something better come along that I should look into?" - not that I am aware of.

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
frontpage , Goldenear , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page