Going from 5.1 to Soundbar - Opinions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By redrovermiami
  • 1 Post By drfreeman60

post #1 of 20 Old 05-23-2015, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Going from 5.1 to Soundbar - Opinions

Looking at selling/replacing my current system setup in my living room with a wireless system.

I am seriously considering the following. Sonos , Sony HT-ST5, or yes, even the Bose Cinemate 130. My wife and I dislike having speaker wires all over (we have wood floors) and the speakers we have are just too big for the layout and furniture we have. So looking at something wireless is ideal. Everything would be played from our Xbox One, or Amazon Fire, so having HDMI connections would be necessary.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-23-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Looking at selling/replacing my current system setup in my living room with a wireless system.

I am seriously considering the following. Sonos , Sony HT-ST5, or yes, even the Bose Cinemate 130. My wife and I dislike having speaker wires all over (we have wood floors) and the speakers we have are just too big for the layout and furniture we have. So looking at something wireless is ideal. Everything would be played from our Xbox One, or Amazon Fire, so having HDMI connections would be necessary.
Well the sonos has no hdmi so that won't work for you. I have a yamaha ysp-4300 in think it's ok--not worth the price overall after using it for 6 months.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-24-2015, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If I'm not mistaken the Xbox One should have an optical out just like the Playstation 4, if not then just sell your Xbox for a newbranded PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to do the exact same thing as OP. To bypass HDMI requirement, I will probably pick up an optical switcher and just plug xbox one optically.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No suggestions on sound bars????

Thanks
post #6 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Soundbars are on the way out. No one wants them as they are overpriced TV speakers for the most part.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #7 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Soundbars are on the way out. No one wants them as they are overpriced TV speakers for the most part.
LOL

ok so make a suggestion?

I have Some infinity TSS750 sitting in a box in a closet...what then you suggest?

I dont want wires all over my house and I dont want to spend 2000 on a sonos system
post #8 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
All depends. I mean, a soundbar is OK for a bedroom but for a living room, not so much. Of course, this is solely one mans opinion. Difficulty being wireless (too expensive) and wires running all over. Depends, have an unfinished basement? Have a closet anywhere near where the rear speakers will go? All kinds of oprions, but I have nothing to really go by.

If you want to buy an amp for the surround speakers and have an AVR up front with preouts, you could get a wireless link Tx/Rx like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ofers--300-580

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #9 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 11:30 AM

What do you think of a sonos sound bar?

and what do you think would be a decent receiver under 500?
post #10 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:

This is not true.

Soundbars are 10 times better than TV speakers. Its just that a good quality 5.1 or better surround system is 10 times better than a soundbar (100 times better than tv speakers) so if you don't want to mess with full surround, but want better than a TV, a soundbar is the way to go.

And soundbars were kind of on the way out, but suddenly they are making a comeback. Several manufacturers are actually reducing their surround packages and putting more emphasis into soundbars.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #11 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
All depends. I mean, a soundbar is OK for a bedroom but for a living room, not so much. Of course, this is solely one mans opinion. Difficulty being wireless (too expensive) and wires running all over. Depends, have an unfinished basement? Have a closet anywhere near where the rear speakers will go? All kinds of oprions, but I have nothing to really go by.

If you want to buy an amp for the surround speakers and have an AVR up front with preouts, you could get a wireless link Tx/Rx like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ofers--300-580
You don't have to have wires all over the place. running wires through the ceiling and the walls is the standard practice. no need to tear up your floors.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #12 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 12:06 PM

I have ceiling speakers already accessible and some older infinity speakers TSS750s

Maybe I just need a better amp...
IDK I have a fairly large room and the sound wasnt that great with what I had.

I just like the clean look of the soundbar

the more I think of it the more im into the sonos but they are EXPENSIVE...

thoughts?
post #13 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have had a good experience with a Sony HT-XT1 soundbase... plenty of sound output and clarity for my living room, about 14x18, about 250sq ft with true 8' ceilings, all plaster walls and ceiling.

Other than something like that, why not go with a solid 2.1 speaker setup? Minimal cabling required.. nothing running along walls or on the floor except at the speaker/amplifier/tv connections.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
post #14 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Heretic opinion.

I prefer good sound. I prefer good monaural over mediocre five channel. This is not the norm on these forums as everyone will tell you that multi-channel is always ten times better than a sound bar.

The Sonos has its attributes which mainly revolves around convenience. Good sound is not one of its attributes. It is above average. You pay a whopping price for convenience, but I have never heard anyone compare it to really good audio.

For less than half of the price of the Sonos, you can have good audio from Sony or Pioneer (designed by Andrew Jones who actually knows something about good audio). You can invest in a pair of very good power speakers to place on either side of your display which would also give you excellent sound and probably better sound than you will get from an inexpensive five-channel setup (no, I haven't heard them all and don't have time to investigate).

Soundbars are convenient. They offer the chance at decent two, three, four or five channel sound at a reasonable price. They are not going to give you an immersive home theater sound (don't believe any hype that says differently as I have probably setup more than sixty in-home theaters).

Find something that you like (including the Sonos if that is what you really want). Plug it in and enjoy.

David Freeman
post #15 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok, first thought is that by choosing a soundbar approach, youre willing to forego rear speakers, so, consider a 3.1 approach. Get two fronts and a center and add a subwoofer. You'll have much better sound for both movies and music.

Also, how will this be set up? With a sound bar you'll have at least the power cord and one audio cable that you have to account for.

Is the tv on the wall? Will the soundbar be on the wall? If so, are you digging into the wall to install? If not, how will handle hiding the cables?

I have my 55" tv in the wall and mounted my soundbar on the wall. I ran the hdmi from cable/sat, dvd, game console to the tv and then ran an optical cord from the tv to soundbar placed directly beneath the tv. I used a wall-mounted cable runner to run all cabling to the left of the tv and be covered.

If not mounting the soundbar on the wall, you still have cabling to contend with.

You dont have to resort to a soundbar because of wires.

Lastly, have you thought about running speaker wire under the wall molding at floor level? Worked well for me recently and theyre outta sight.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the opinions

Im gonna go check out some receivers then bring one home and set it up with what I have.

I think that probably is the BEST idea...for the best sound.

The sonos just seems SO Expensive I mean to do it right its 700 for the sound bar 700 for the sub and 500 for the amp for 2 rear channels I already have wired up to my wall behind the tv...

I got the speakers laying around so for 3-500 Ill try a new receiver first...
Squirrel! likes this.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrovermiami View Post
Thanks for the opinions

Im gonna go check out some receivers then bring one home and set it up with what I have.

I think that probably is the BEST idea...for the best sound.

The sonos just seems SO Expensive I mean to do it right its 700 for the sound bar 700 for the sub and 500 for the amp for 2 rear channels I already have wired up to my wall behind the tv...

I got the speakers laying around so for 3-500 Ill try a new receiver first...

This sounds like a wise choice. Anyone who believes they are receiving anywhere near a decent value from Sonos should talk to my African friend. Former prince who has millions that he is attempting to smuggle out of the country. He only needs someone to give him a few thousand dollars to assist with postage and he will divide evenly all of the money he retrieves. A really sweet deal for someone I am sure.
Squirrel! likes this.

David Freeman
post #18 of 20 Old 07-17-2015, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'll just quote myself from another tread:

You can get an LG soundbar (LAS751M, LAS851M or top tier LAS950M) + a couple of NP8340 (H3) speakers for rear. It's a wireless multiroom system like Sonos (but with much more features and codecs, like DTS support, Hi-Res audio BT, Wi-Fi, all sorts of online music services etc). It can also be configured as multi channel 5.1 system.

I, muyself went from 5.1 setup with Yamaha receiver to an LG NB3740 soundbar setup, because I needed to clear that space in the living room for two kids While I lost somewhat in soud quality, I gained in network connectivity (wireless and wired) and modern features like internet services, full remote control from smartphone etc.
For me it was fair trade.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-17-2015, 07:39 AM

What do you guys think of this onkyo?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN6...NR636&skipvs=T

Crutchfield suggested it to me
post #20 of 20 Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Onkyo makes excellent electronics and from what I have heard their approach (as well as Pioneer's) to Dolby Atmos is first class.

To do Atmos correctly, you do need dedicated Atmos speakers and I have not heard that Onkyo supplies the speakers.

If you are looking to do an Atmos system, currently I would look towards Pioneer as they offer the only complete system. However, the content for Atmos is rather limited.

If you are looking for a receiver for your current speakers, your money is better invested in a dedicated 5.1 system since you would not be paying for the features you will not be using.

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page