Sony Soundbar with Wireless Rears - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 154 Old 10-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I really wanted this setup up but I have two issues. The volume is just to low when using Dish through HDMI with it. Also though I like the bass during big action scenes there is just to much gap between the small drivers and the sub so during normal watching there doesn't seem to be any lows. All other features I really like. The supported formats, the HDMI switching, the IP control, and blue tooth streaming. It's a shame because the price was perfect. I'd say for the price it's still a bargain even with the issues though I wouldn't want it with something as large as my 70" Vizio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 154 Old 10-21-2015, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1der View Post
I really wanted this setup up but I have two issues. The volume is just to low when using Dish through HDMI with it. Also though I like the bass during big action scenes there is just to much gap between the small drivers and the sub so during normal watching there doesn't seem to be any lows. All other features I really like. The supported formats, the HDMI switching, the IP control, and blue tooth streaming. It's a shame because the price was perfect. I'd say for the price it's still a bargain even with the issues though I wouldn't want it with something as large as my 70" Vizio.

Totally agree with the above summary.

I feel there is an overall lack of perceived power, and if you turn off the sub you quickly realize your listening to several 2" full range speakers. The sub does a good job, but its tasked with too much gap filling and thus its directional. If you put it in the back of your room you can easily pinpoint where the sub is.

The lack of treble is what killed it for me. Its not musical at all, and there is just too much detail missing from the really good DVD's.

If Sony comes up with this same system but with their high definition drivers it will be an awesome setup. I can't imagine why other manufacturers are not coming out with 5.1 soundbar systems with wireless rears.
post #33 of 154 Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Philips came out with a wireless 5.1 system with decent drivers (Philips Zenit Cinema Speakers CSS5530G 5.1), but Philips (or Woox or Gibson) hasn't released it here in the US. It is, however, on Amazon for $499.95, though it is not in stock, and appears to be a pre-release.

Weirdly, it can be purchased from Germany through ebay for $948.3...without warranty.

The design is interesting, in that the central, controlling "soundbar" constitutes the center channel, and the other four channels all use fairly large wireless satellites, along with the wireless subwoofer.

These four satellites also utilize a D'Appolito configuration, with a silk dome tweeter in between two mid-woofers, vertically placed.

Because of the use of physically distinct satellites, and a dedicated center, you are assured real L-C-R separation, and a large soundstage.

This appears to be a much better solution than the 4.1 Fidelio soundbars.
elsonium likes this.

Last edited by taichi4; 10-21-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 154 Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the Sony HS-ST9 which consists of a main/centre and a subwoofer. If I were to add on a pair of Sony wireless speakers like X77, will it give me full 5.1 channels? I knew the Sonos can do that because of its intelligent software, but not sure about Sony. Appreciate experts' advice.
post #35 of 154 Old 10-21-2015, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I downloaded the manual for the HT-ST9, and it does not appear that you can add rear speakers.

It makes sense, in that the technology used to project so many discrete channels (as opposed to simulated channels) would not likely accommodate external drivers.

It's a minor miracle that the Sony, as well as the higher tier Yamahas, do as well as they do in a good acoustic environment.
post #36 of 154 Old 11-09-2015, 04:41 AM

i all, I've been looking at this soundbar myself, i don't fancy having wires trailing around all over and this product looks great. I see a few negative reviews on here which are putting me off though. I bought a sonos playbar originally but wasnt impressed with the lack on Bluetooth and only premium Spotify steaming. I felt it was punchy but being a single unit obviously there was no surround whatsoever and the sounds age wasn't very wide or emersive.
My question is this, how would the Sony compare to a playbar, I presume it would blow it away with the three added speakers??? If it's a decent upgrade from the playbar then I'm sold. I don't need the greatest surround sound ever but I want something a step up from the playbar.
post #37 of 154 Old 11-11-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_Coaster View Post
Totally agree with the above summary.

I feel there is an overall lack of perceived power, and if you turn off the sub you quickly realize your listening to several 2" full range speakers. The sub does a good job, but its tasked with too much gap filling and thus its directional. If you put it in the back of your room you can easily pinpoint where the sub is.

The lack of treble is what killed it for me. Its not musical at all, and there is just too much detail missing from the really good DVD's.

If Sony comes up with this same system but with their high definition drivers it will be an awesome setup. I can't imagine why other manufacturers are not coming out with 5.1 soundbar systems with wireless rears.
How do you think this stacks up soundwise to a playbar? Surely must sound better with the added speakers?
post #38 of 154 Old 11-17-2015, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 517
I've had the RT5 for about a week now and honestly, although it could have been better, I'm not disappointed by it either.

For reference, I have a pair of KEF Q500, Q100, Q200 center, SVS SB-2000 sub hooked up to a Yamaha RX840 in my living room. They're not high-end I know, but I think everyone agrees that they're pretty good mid-end stuff.

Now the Sony RT5, why did I get it? For my small-ish game/bedroom (about 8x12 ft.). I don't really have the luxury to get bigger speakers in there and since I was offered a pretty good deal on the RT5, I thought why not? Let's try it.

To cut right to the chase, which is the sub. I agree with an earlier post, it is one-note-ish. But is it really that bad? No, not really. I mean, if you've heard the older down-firing subs that Sony was so fond of on the CT770, CT660, and CT260, NOW that back then was some terrible sub. It was full of bloat, no balance, bleeds into the mids no matter how you adjust it or place it. The sub on the RT5 is actually much better than its predecessor, sure it is still mediocre but it is no way I'd say "bad".

As for seperation of the channels. Show me a soundbar which has better sound seperation than the RT5 at the same price point. You won't find one, I guarantee it. Yup, the bar could have been longer and the drivers bigger. But are most people willing to pay more? Nope. Design and economics goes hand in hand, there's no 2 ways around this as long as money drives everything.

With that, I think the sound seperation on the RT5 is decent enough. I don't have issues pinpointing players in Destiny on a Crucible/PVP match. Nor did I have much of an issue hearing where footsteps are in direction when playing stealth heavy games like MGSV. Sure, it's not ever going to be as engaging as my KEF setup, but I know the limitations of a soundbar + 2 rear channels design, of which didn't dissapoint me. If anything, I think Sony surprised me that they are still able to have a good soundstage with pretty good (in my book, since I do game semi-competitively) audio cues. The rear speakers may sound narrow in its soundfield, but for my bedroom I think it is adequate.

As for the treble, yes it could be more energetic, more sparklish with some aggressiveness. I wouldn't disagree on that. I think Sony could have done better with the tweeters than just bring it over from the CT770/780. If anything, the treble on the RT5 is rolled off, too smooth in nature. But thankfully at least to me, it didn't make the high-mids or highs sound dull or muddy, there's still a good bit of air in those areas. Be glad Sony even had tweeters in this system in the first place, because they could have easily snuck it out.

So my whole post may sound like I'm defending the RT5 or it's some paid opinion piece or something. Well, I AM defending the RT5. I think for its price, it has damn well shown its worth. There aren't many soundbars at this price that provides 4k60p passthrough, may not even sound like a big deal to you if you don't have a PC to game on at this resolution, but once or if you do, it's a Godsend. 4k, 60fps is an absolute bliss. Couple the other fact that the RT5 has very, very low input lag which is another great bonus. Something that every other soundbar out there couldn't compete against with.

The Sonos Playbar, Play1 rear speakers + Sub does sound better, I'm not even going to argue on that point. But LOOK at the price you'd be paying for to get all that. You might as well go for a mid-end system from KEF, Wharfedale, Q Accoustics, etc. etc. + a midrange AVR to blow the socks off the Sonos combination, for probably the same price or less. You see the logic there?

Philips B5 or the upcoming E6 may be a good contender. But both does sacrifice features. In my experience with the HTL9100 which basically is the same as the B5, the RT5 sounds better in tonal balance. Say all you want about the small drivers, but the real center channel provides a fuller, weightier mid than what the phantom B5/9100 can only achieve.

I'm happy with the RT5, I don't think it is a disappointment when you take its price and features into account then compare it in relative logic to what is available out there. I whole heartedly recommend the RT5, it IS a good true 5.1 system, not a pseudo 4.1 with virtual surround effects.
elsonium likes this.
post #39 of 154 Old 11-28-2015, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Philips came out with a wireless 5.1 system with decent drivers (Philips Zenit Cinema Speakers CSS5530G 5.1), but Philips (or Woox or Gibson) hasn't released it here in the US. It is, however, on Amazon for $499.95, though it is not in stock, and appears to be a pre-release.

Weirdly, it can be purchased from Germany through ebay for $948.3...without warranty.

The design is interesting, in that the central, controlling "soundbar" constitutes the center channel, and the other four channels all use fairly large wireless satellites, along with the wireless subwoofer.

These four satellites also utilize a D'Appolito configuration, with a silk dome tweeter in between two mid-woofers, vertically placed.

Because of the use of physically distinct satellites, and a dedicated center, you are assured real L-C-R separation, and a large soundstage.

This appears to be a much better solution than the 4.1 Fidelio soundbars.
That looks interesting. The price isn't too bad either(I can buy it locally). I'm having a difficult time finding a professional review though.
post #40 of 154 Old 11-28-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaze View Post
That looks interesting. The price isn't too bad either(I can buy it locally). I'm having a difficult time finding a professional review though.
Shame that the rear speakers aren't truly wireless however, they connect (via wires) to a 'wireless receiver' that talks to the main speaker.

Since they can make the front speakers wireless you would have thought they could have done the same to the rears..
post #41 of 154 Old 11-29-2015, 05:28 AM

I'm probably not going with wireless after all. I see way too many people having trouble with their speakers dropping out. One guy even had his computer drop it's wi-fi connection when he turned the sound system on.
With wires, 5.1 is out of the question as I have no way of hiding the wires. My living room isn't the biggest so I'm leaning towards a Canton DM50 or 75 at the moment.
post #42 of 154 Old 11-29-2015, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm probably not going with wireless after all. I see way too many people having trouble with their speakers dropping out. One guy even had his computer drop it's wi-fi connection when he turned the sound system on. ...
The Philips Fidelio soundbars, and other wireless solutions, avoid the use of wifi networks altogether. Usually dropouts are caused by too much happening on the same network. The Philips uses a proprietary, non wifi connection.

Last edited by taichi4; 11-29-2015 at 04:34 PM.
post #43 of 154 Old 11-29-2015, 02:58 PM

I think it still occupies the same frequency range, a bit like baby monitors and those old cordless phones we used to have, but I haven't looked into it too deeply. I feel pretty much set on a soundbase right now.
After looking around some more, I've ditched the Canton in favor of the Geneva Model Cinema. It does some things better, some things worse, but I can get it at a much lower price.
post #44 of 154 Old 11-29-2015, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think it still occupies the same frequency range, a bit like baby monitors and those old cordless phones we used to have, but I haven't looked into it too deeply.
You might be right. The Philips wireless system uses SMSC's 5.8GHz, which was recently acquired by another company. The technology might indeed occupy or coexist with WiFi, but it uses a number of technologies to digitally error correct, and also withstand interference.

The net result is that the Fidelios apparently resist interference from existing wifi.

The B5 soundbar improves on the 9100 by having, among other things, larger (3" vs 2.5") drivers.
post #45 of 154 Old 11-30-2015, 01:04 PM

I did consider the B5, but it's very expensive still. Plus I don't have anywhere to put the detachable speakers. I'd have make extra shelves or buy two small tables.
I did translate some of the user reviews for the Zenit. One guy said the sound was quite good but it was lacking in power. Interpret that how you will
post #46 of 154 Old 11-30-2015, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...I did translate some of the user reviews for the Zenit. One guy said the sound was quite good but it was lacking in power. Interpret that how you will
Finding reviews for the Zenit is challenging, to say the least. I went to Testseek.com, and linked to a number of French and German Amazon reviews. Most of them were very good, and I don't recall any that complained about a lack of "power." I would think that the satellites would put out a decent amount of volume because of the MTM (Mid Range-Tweeter-Midrange) arrangement, and the center "bar" has, according to memory, two drivers.

The lack of readily accessible reviews is annoying, for sure.
post #47 of 154 Old 12-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rear speakers?

Hey. Are these the power cables for the rear speakers in this hard wired into it? I've got speaker stands from Monoprice and looking to run the wire through the speaker stands if possible. TIA.
post #48 of 154 Old 12-09-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupergenius View Post
Hey. Are these the power cables for the rear speakers in this hard wired into it? I've got speaker stands from Monoprice and looking to run the wire through the speaker stands if possible. TIA.
They look like they should disconnect, but as far as I can tell they are actually hard wired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1107994  
post #49 of 154 Old 12-09-2015, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleFan View Post
I am sad to see you and West_Coaster returning these. I just got one from Costco as well and have not hooked it up yet. I have a Vizio SB4051-C0 that I am testing this against. The Vizio processes less signals and has less direct HDMI inputs. I am hoping this bar will be more flexible with multiple inputs and have better sound quality. I am not switching from any traditional full home theater setup just built-in tv speakers.

Anyway with Costco there is a 90 Day return window. Good to have the receipt although I have seen people return things past the date without receipts as long as they can pull up your account and see that you purchased it from them. YMMV for this though.
Just wondering how the HT-RT5 vs. SB4051-C0 comparison turned out, these are the exact two models I'm deciding between. I can pick up the Vizio at several locations but Costco appears to be the only seller of the Sony setup and the closest one is 50+ miles and I've got to figure how to buy without joining. Prefer not to have to make that trip twice so hoping you can give your thoughts on the direct comparison.
post #50 of 154 Old 12-10-2015, 12:17 PM

Conflict between Sony soundbar and Onkyo

We've just recently purchased the Samsung 4K SUHD JS850D and the Sony Speaker set HT-RT5 5.1 Bluetooth Soundbar. We have an Onkyo receiver and we're having trouble setting up the sound.
We have everything (Apple TV and cable) HDMI to the receiver and the Main source out to the onebox of the TV. We have the sound from the receiver out to the soundbar via the Sub Main from the receiver.

The sources are working fine in sound and picture but the problem is with the Net (Pandora) connection from the Onkyo. The sound out to the speakers it's not working in this configuration.
We also can't hear sound from the tv to the speakers so I added an optical from the onebox of the tv to the speakers directly and we have sound but it's not as good and we'd like to hear it from the receiver.
Is there any way to fix either of these problems. Thanks!
post #51 of 154 Old 12-13-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So there was an update to this soundbar as of 12/01/15, which fixes the below. It looks like the sound quality/level if fixed here, can anyone with this soundbar comment?

Thanks!

File Description
This firmware upgrade (version M28.R.0343) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version M28.R.0338:
Improves the audio output when home network content is played via Bluetooth
Improves the speaker level setting quality.
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version M28.R.0343:
Improves connectivity for the Google Cast™ (Audio) application
Adds FF/FR function support for the Spotify connection
Adds support for Spotify® Connect
Adds support for MP4, 3gp music file playback
post #52 of 154 Old 12-14-2015, 01:34 PM

I installed this update last night. I don't notice any difference really, but I was never having any problems with quality or volume level of audio over bluetooth to begin with.

The only real issue I have with the HT-RT5 at the moment (which admittedly might be a TiVo issue and not an HT-RT5 problem) is that the volume level from my TiVo over HDMI 1 directly into the soundbar is too low for some content (specifically for watching movies). I have a small living room and watching "Fast and Furious" on cable TV yesterday, I had the volume on the soundbar maxed out at 50 and still would have liked it to be louder (and I have a small living room). That said, volume from all other sources (xbox, appleTV, etc., all connected via HDMI) is much louder, I'd never feel the need to max out the volume for any of those sources. In fact when I switch to those sources I usually have to turn the volume down since it is so strikingly different from the HDMI 1 input - watching a DVD from the xbox1 to the soundbar for example gets blow your socks off loud volume if you want it.
post #53 of 154 Old 12-17-2015, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccguy View Post
Just wondering how the HT-RT5 vs. SB4051-C0 comparison turned out, these are the exact two models I'm deciding between. I can pick up the Vizio at several locations but Costco appears to be the only seller of the Sony setup and the closest one is 50+ miles and I've got to figure how to buy without joining. Prefer not to have to make that trip twice so hoping you can give your thoughts on the direct comparison.
Heya, I'm not BigAppleFan but I just bought the HT-RT5 to solve my SB4051 and SB3851 woes (see https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...l#post39725594 ).

The Sony is much less problematic in regards to reproducing audio. I've had none of the audio drops and missing channels and other screwy BS the Vizio has.

However, the Vizio has MUCH better mid-range and bass than the Sony from the soundbar itself. The Sony is anemic by comparison. If you place the subwoofer next to your soundbar you won't notice it, but if you have to put it in the rear of the room, you will hear it.

Also, if it matters to you, the build materials of the Vizio are MUCH better than the Sony. The Sony almost flaunts its particleboard and fabric, while the Vizio is trimmed out in metal grill and aluminum.

Aside from the reliable audio reproduction, the Sony has a ridiculous amount of features, 99% of them I will never care about, but the auto-calibration microphone was cool. It also has built in WiFi, which supports a bunch of crazy crap, but I'll probably only use it for downloading firmware updates, a feature you might never miss as a Vizio user since their support is having a hard time admitting their their soundbars have a problem.

In a world of unicorns and donut trees, I'd have the Sony audio software on the Vizio hardware, but we live in reality.

The reality is that the Vizio is buggy, their terrible support staff is not making any moves to fix it, and the point of a sound system is to play sound, not pieces of your sound, sometimes on Tuesday, when the moon is in the 7th house.

Unless they release a firmware update, or you use analog inputs, or ALL your use cases fit SQUARELY with what Vizio's soundbars support, the Vizios are not a viable option.

Bottom Line: Buy the Sony and put the subwoofer next to the soundbar.
post #54 of 154 Old 12-18-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonium View Post
Heya, I'm not BigAppleFan but I just bought the HT-RT5 to solve my SB4051 and SB3851 woes (see https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...l#post39725594 ).

The Sony is much less problematic in regards to reproducing audio. I've had none of the audio drops and missing channels and other screwy BS the Vizio has.

However, the Vizio has MUCH better mid-range and bass than the Sony from the soundbar itself. The Sony is anemic by comparison. If you place the subwoofer next to your soundbar you won't notice it, but if you have to put it in the rear of the room, you will hear it.

Also, if it matters to you, the build materials of the Vizio are MUCH better than the Sony. The Sony almost flaunts its particleboard and fabric, while the Vizio is trimmed out in metal grill and aluminum.

Aside from the reliable audio reproduction, the Sony has a ridiculous amount of features, 99% of them I will never care about, but the auto-calibration microphone was cool. It also has built in WiFi, which supports a bunch of crazy crap, but I'll probably only use it for downloading firmware updates, a feature you might never miss as a Vizio user since their support is having a hard time admitting their their soundbars have a problem.

In a world of unicorns and donut trees, I'd have the Sony audio software on the Vizio hardware, but we live in reality.

The reality is that the Vizio is buggy, their terrible support staff is not making any moves to fix it, and the point of a sound system is to play sound, not pieces of your sound, sometimes on Tuesday, when the moon is in the 7th house.

Unless they release a firmware update, or you use analog inputs, or ALL your use cases fit SQUARELY with what Vizio's soundbars support, the Vizios are not a viable option.

Bottom Line: Buy the Sony and put the subwoofer next to the soundbar.

Thanks for the feedback. I did end up purchasing the Vizio SB4051 because I saw the price drop to $229 and figured at such a low price I'd try it out, hope for the best and if it wasn't ok, I'd just return it to BB.

I haven't fully put it through its paces yet but I have watched a couple of football games, regular tv & a few movies, all via Verizon Fios. Connected via the tv using the hdmi w/ARC. I also watched one blue-ray. No problems with the Fios except a second or two delay in audio on channel changes which I attributed to the HDMI handshake pause but I did notice a few audio dropouts on the one blue-ray. It sounds like this might be the tip of the iceberg. It sounds great but obviously isn't going to work if I can expect continuous dropouts.

If the sub is up front sub close to the soundbar, would you say the overall audio quality is comparable, a little better or worse on the HT-RT5 vs the SB4051?
I consider what I'm hearing from the Vizio to be pretty much as low as I'm willing to go in audio quality, doesn't really fill the room but I can live with it if the issues weren't there.
If it"s not at least as good I may have to either rethink pushing the wife to allow me to wire the room to use the Pioneer AVR and Boston Acoustics 5.1 speakers currently still boxed from our move last year. Or consider spending more money on a higher end wireless setup.
post #55 of 154 Old 12-19-2015, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccguy View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I did end up purchasing the Vizio SB4051 because I saw the price drop to $229 and figured at such a low price I'd try it out, hope for the best and if it wasn't ok, I'd just return it to BB.

I haven't fully put it through its paces yet but I have watched a couple of football games, regular tv & a few movies, all via Verizon Fios. Connected via the tv using the hdmi w/ARC. I also watched one blue-ray. No problems with the Fios except a second or two delay in audio on channel changes which I attributed to the HDMI handshake pause but I did notice a few audio dropouts on the one blue-ray. It sounds like this might be the tip of the iceberg. It sounds great but obviously isn't going to work if I can expect continuous dropouts.

If the sub is up front sub close to the soundbar, would you say the overall audio quality is comparable, a little better or worse on the HT-RT5 vs the SB4051?
I consider what I'm hearing from the Vizio to be pretty much as low as I'm willing to go in audio quality, doesn't really fill the room but I can live with it if the issues weren't there.
If it"s not at least as good I may have to either rethink pushing the wife to allow me to wire the room to use the Pioneer AVR and Boston Acoustics 5.1 speakers currently still boxed from our move last year. Or consider spending more money on a higher end wireless setup.
Sorry to hear you're having those issues, go ahead and contact Vizio support and help them stop the denial games. I returned my unit, but there's no reason other people should be stuck.

Regarding audio quality, I need to put a big disclaimer here and say that this is the 3rd time in my life I buy speakers, and the first time I've gone and paid more than $150 for them. That said I moved the subwoofer to the front of the room permanently, and fiddled with the sound stage settings. I discovered that the "M Arena" stage gives a similar boomy bass output to what the Vizio was doing. Whether that's good or not, I don't know.

I want to say the audio reproduction is better on the Sony, it feels more immersive than the Vizio. However I just returned the Vizio, and I never did a side-by-side comparison aside from the soundbar itself, so my memory might be fooling me.

Like I said, I'm not an audiophile, so hopefully BigAppleFan pops in here and gives their comparison as well.

But honestly given that you're having issues with the Vizio, keeping it is just taking a gamble that they'll fix the problem. Some other comments have mentioned that some of the issues are "dolby chip" related, and can't be fixed with firmware. In my mind that's a big gamble.

I think Costco is doing free shipping on the Sony, worst case you'll pay shipping to return it.
post #56 of 154 Old 12-19-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonium View Post
Sorry to hear you're having those issues, go ahead and contact Vizio support and help them stop the denial games. I returned my unit, but there's no reason other people should be stuck.

Regarding audio quality, I need to put a big disclaimer here and say that this is the 3rd time in my life I buy speakers, and the first time I've gone and paid more than $150 for them. That said I moved the subwoofer to the front of the room permanently, and fiddled with the sound stage settings. I discovered that the "M Arena" stage gives a similar boomy bass output to what the Vizio was doing. Whether that's good or not, I don't know.

I want to say the audio reproduction is better on the Sony, it feels more immersive than the Vizio. However I just returned the Vizio, and I never did a side-by-side comparison aside from the soundbar itself, so my memory might be fooling me.

Like I said, I'm not an audiophile, so hopefully BigAppleFan pops in here and gives their comparison as well.

But honestly given that you're having issues with the Vizio, keeping it is just taking a gamble that they'll fix the problem. Some other comments have mentioned that some of the issues are "dolby chip" related, and can't be fixed with firmware. In my mind that's a big gamble.

I think Costco is doing free shipping on the Sony, worst case you'll pay shipping to return it.
Thanks, from your first post it looked like maybe you were saying even with front placement of the sub, the Vizio still sounded better when it was working.
I'm going to try using tho optical connection, if that doesn't work I'll give Vizio one shot to help me make the problem go away before it goes back to BB. Then I will try the Sony.
I don't consider myself an audiophile either but I do appreciate clear sound without noticeable distortion and I do enjoy the real surround effects when watching a good movie. I think it's safe (no offense intended) to say few if any audiophiles are looking at these soundbar sections other than maybe someone looking for a better sound than the tv speakers for a bedroom or other non main tv. Maybe less true for the $1,000+ options like Paradim, some Yamaha's, etc and the passive ones.
post #57 of 154 Old 12-25-2015, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
My costco has the rt5 and the vizio sb4051 next to each other. I listened to the demo and honestly thought neither one was very good but the vizio sounded little better. Lots of caveats here: all the speakers were placed together so useless to judge the surround and they were playing different demos. The Sony has a huge sub woofer, the vizio styling is surprisingly better. But as said above the vizio has problems with firmware. Otoh I don't want to pay for speakers that really aren't better than something at half the price. Nobody wants my money I guess
post #58 of 154 Old 12-29-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Looks like these speakers are now $399 at costco. I'm wondering how these would compare to the Sony HT-NT3? Obviously that one doesn't have true 5.1, but overall sound quality is what I would prefer over that.
post #59 of 154 Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
For those who own the Sony HT-RT5 did the latest firmware update fix the low volume issue? I'm thinking about picking this up at Costco.

Thanks!
post #60 of 154 Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9667 Post(s)
Liked: 6360
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelesh View Post
Looks like these speakers are now $399 at costco. I'm wondering how these would compare to the Sony HT-NT3? Obviously that one doesn't have true 5.1, but overall sound quality is what I would prefer over that.
I'm curious about this too. I currently have the HT-NT3, which does sound terrific, but I'm considering the HT-RT5 because of the dedicated surround channels and the simulated 9.1/heights. If the HT-RT5 had the same drivers as the HT-NT3 the decision would be easy.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page