Sony Soundbar with Wireless Rears - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #91 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
A newer model seems to have wired rear speakers. I was hoping they would upgrade the drivers to what the HT-NT3 uses. But apparently they went backwards and now offer wired rear speakers. And it looks like the drivers haven't changed.
That's interesting I seem to have no issue with the wireless. Where did you see the wired info might just look into it. Even though quite pleased with this unit. I figured it had to be something for the almost exclusive and pricing at Costco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 01:17 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9640 Post(s)
Liked: 6322
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
That's interesting I seem to have no issue with the wireless. Where did you see the wired info might just look into it. Even though quite pleased with this unit. I figured it had to be something for the almost exclusive and pricing at Costco.
The HT-RT3

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/so...s-audio/ht-rt3

But like the HT-RT5 it is a UK model. So if it is sold in the US I guess it would probably be Costco again.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #93 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The HT-RT3

But like the HT-RT5 it is a UK model. So if it is sold in the US I guess it would probably be Costco again.
Looks that way must have been some issues with the wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Looking further it looks mabey an older model. Only one HDMI output no HDMI inputs dts and dd only. Larger amp. Am I missing something?
post #95 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
Maybe not. The middle of this articles says wireless rear speakers are options on the new gear.
http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-la...undbase-models
post #96 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccguy View Post
Just wondering how the HT-RT5 vs. SB4051-C0 comparison turned out, these are the exact two models I'm deciding between. I can pick up the Vizio at several locations but Costco appears to be the only seller of the Sony setup and the closest one is 50+ miles and I've got to figure how to buy without joining. Prefer not to have to make that trip twice so hoping you can give your thoughts on the direct comparison.
Hi sorry for the delay in revisiting this thread, hopefully this is still relevant and maybe helpful to some.

I ended up keeping both units. I moved the Vizio to a second television used mainly for broadcast tv and gaming and installed the Sony on the larger Sony TV used mainly for movies and gaming. I am not an audiophile but I do agree with a lot of what's been already said about the Sony, that the mid-range is not too great. The Vizio definitely sounded better in that area and offered a more robust sound overall. That said, the features, convenience and easy setup of the Sony was what sold me on the unit.

Maybe it is because I have a Sony TV but everything fits in visually and technologically. The bar it flatter than the Vizio and offers infared passthrough so you can use the tv remote without aiming it above the sound bar. With the Vizio, I had to stand up to change the channel or volume. The additional HDMI inputs allow me to use the Sony soundbar as a hub for my PS3 and other HDMI inputs. With the HDMI ARC, everything can be controlled and turned off through my TV remote. The wireless surround channels allow the rear speakers to be placed in two different corners of my room without wires except for power. The speaker for auto adjustment is pretty accurate in the distance calculations and sound adjustments. For those of us who enjoy watching movies at night after everyone is asleep, it has a Bluetooth broadcast feature that will send the sound from the bar to a wireless bluetooth headset. This feature works well and I have used it quite a few times already.

As others have mentioned, I've experienced strange video and sound syncing problems with the Vizio system too. Sometimes when switching input sources. the sound and picture would drop and require powering down and unplugging to fix. Faced with no sound and a black screen, its especially annoying to explain to other family members how to fix it. It works and sounds pretty good once it is set up though. Sony definitely updates the software more often. There have been 2 software updates since I purchased it in October. Sony has an auto update feature like the PS3 that lets you know when an update is available. There has also been two price drops at Costco if you are looking to get the Sony. From $599 to $499 and now $399. With a 90 day return window, you can test it out and decide if its a keeper at your own pace.

I originally looked into getting the Sonos system but the cost for an optical only system with limited decoding dissuaded me from that system. The wireless 5.1 surround systems were the way to go for me since I didn't want to rewire the rooms and didn't want cables running all over. For the price and the needs it fulfills, I am happy with both the Sony and Vizio purchases. But if I were to chose one system to buy it would be the Sony.

Hope this helps.
post #97 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Maybe not. The middle of this articles says wireless rear speakers are options on the new gear.
http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-la...undbase-models
I think you are right so new all specs on Sony uk don't seem complete. The amp looks a bit more powerful. I think the design is a bit different my guess will be priced more like rt5 orig price. I am pretty pleased with the htrt5 especially at this price. Already put my vizio up for sale.
post #98 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
The HT-RT3

Forgot to post this when I found out last month. I asked my local tv & appliance retailer who sells Sony if he could get the HT-RT5. He checked with his rep and was told the product is a European & Canada only item but because Costco has stores in Canada they are able to buy it thought Canada but it Costco not Sony backing the warranty in the US.
post #99 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Before I tear all my hair out can someone tell me if they actually get sound from their TV to the sound bar through hdmi ARC as described in the big fold out setup guide. I.e. if TV has HDMI labeled ARC (my Samsung TV does), connect TV's ARC to sound bar's HDMI ARC with supplied HDMI cable.
post #100 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Before I tear all my hair out can someone tell me if they actually get sound from their TV to the sound bar through hdmi ARC as described in the big fold out setup guide. I.e. if TV has HDMI labeled ARC (my Samsung TV does), connect TV's ARC to sound bar's HDMI ARC with supplied HDMI cable.
Yes, this works. Depending on your setup you may have to switch the soundbar to the "TV" input to hear the ARC sound though (as noted earlier in this thread). For example, I have an HDMI cable from the soundbar's "Out (ARC)" port connected to my VIVIO TV's HDMI 1 input which is labled ARC. I bring up say the youtube app on my VIZIO TV and set the soundbar input to "TV" and I get sound from the TV to the soundbar.
post #101 of 154 Old 01-18-2016, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes I have the Sony's input set to "TV." I'm doing it right. It's just not working.
post #102 of 154 Old 01-19-2016, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I have the Sony's input set to "TV." I'm doing it right. It's just not working.
Go into set up look for HDMI control under Cec do you have arc control on?
post #103 of 154 Old 01-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 517
I recommend not to use HDMI ARC if at all possible; just avoid it.

I mean, ARC has caused more issues than what convenience it is suppose to be providing. It's just not with the RT5, it's with pretty much any system that has HDMI ARC functionality. With the RT5, low-volume issues with HDMI ARC, it's an unofficial fact at this point.
The RT5 has volume, there's no doubt about it. Don't believe me? Test by using your phone for BT stream or just go the old fashioned way by jacking it with a 3.5mm cable, it will be loud most definitely.

That said, the RT5 has THREE HDMI inputs. Use them! Just go direct, keep it simple! If you still need more HDMI inputs, go get a high quality self-powered HDMI switcher and use it in conjuction with the RT5. Obviously the alternative is just to go back to an AVR, but that's a whole different topic.
post #104 of 154 Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 AM
UHD Addict

The ARC worked perfectly fine with my Sony TV. It worked just as well as it did with my HT-NT3. At least as far as switching and volume level. The sound quality is better with the NT3, but that is because it has better drivers.
post #105 of 154 Old 01-19-2016, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the menu I have hdmi Setting on arc off and all is well Comcast into hdmi 1. Sony bd 6500 into 2 Amazon fire into 3. Arc output into my hdmi arc input on panny 65zt60 Cecil control on on both arc off on soundbar all works ok.

Last edited by william06; 01-19-2016 at 07:42 PM.
post #106 of 154 Old 01-19-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccguy View Post
Forgot to post this when I found out last month. I asked my local tv & appliance retailer who sells Sony if he could get the HT-RT5. He checked with his rep and was told the product is a European & Canada only item but because Costco has stores in Canada they are able to buy it thought Canada but it Costco not Sony backing the warranty in the US.
Interesting I went into Sony has this evening and registered my HT-RT5 with no problem. It now shows with my other Sony purchases over the years.
post #107 of 154 Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ok I figured ARC out. Needed to turn on anynet cec in the Samsung TV. Duh. The volume is fine. I need to test more to see if it's actually passing 5.1.

Any good tip for balancing voice and sfx volume? When I turn volume to where I can hear dialogue comfortably, when action or music starts up, it's way too loud and I have to grab the remote quick. Similarly, I like to have sub at around ten so voice has some nice bass to it (I hate tinny voice) but it gets overwhelming with explosion etc. I've tried all the sound fields. And voice types (can't tell a difference).
post #108 of 154 Old 01-19-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ok I figured ARC out. Needed to turn on anynet cec in the Samsung TV. Duh. The volume is fine. I need to test more to see if it's actually passing 5.1.

Any good tip for balancing voice and sfx volume? When I turn volume to where I can hear dialogue comfortably, when action or music starts up, it's way too loud and I have to grab the remote quick. Similarly, I like to have sub at around ten so voice has some nice bass to it (I hate tinny voice) but it gets overwhelming with explosion etc. I've tried all the sound fields. And voice types (can't tell a difference).
After doing auto settings go into home,setup, speaker settings, level .
post #109 of 154 Old 01-20-2016, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The ARC worked perfectly fine with my Sony TV. It worked just as well as it did with my HT-NT3. At least as far as switching and volume level. The sound quality is better with the NT3, but that is because it has better drivers.
As a general rule of thumb, ARC doesn't always work. We wouldn't have so many threads, articles, comments and opinion pieces about it if it works as it should consistently. Good that ARC works for you, generally it should Sony to Sony devices wise.

Yes, I agree. The RT5's drivers are actually derived from the CT790. I know they are the same, because I had the 790 right before getting the RT5. EQ aside, they both sound very, very similar. The only difference is that the RT5 is a slight bit more forward, but I believe this is due to the soundbar being more upward instead of angled when using the mounts as stands. Also wished that the center channel actually has a tweeter because voices can sound a bit dull at times.

I would like to see an RT7 (or whatever) with the NT3's drivers, but more importantly the rear speakers desperately needs some low-end.

Quote:

You can check your audio info if you have the OSD enabled.

As for audio levels, you can set all the channels individually to a max of +6db (if the latest update has changed this, I'm not aware however). +0.5 or +1db on the center channel should be all you need for a more forward dialogue presentation.
You shouldn't ever put the bass at vol 10 because anything above 8 causes way too much bloat (even if you are a basshead). Instead, adjust the level of the sub in the Home > setup > audio settings to keep some tactility.
post #110 of 154 Old 01-21-2016, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would you suggest me to buy RT5 or NT3? Or wait for the new NT5?
My use case is:
60% Movies / TV shows
20% Music
20% Live TV
post #111 of 154 Old 01-22-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
As for audio levels, you can set all the channels individually to a max of +6db (if the latest update has changed this, I'm not aware however). +0.5 or +1db on the center channel should be all you need for a more forward dialogue presentation.
You shouldn't ever put the bass at vol 10 because anything above 8 causes way too much bloat (even if you are a basshead). Instead, adjust the level of the sub in the Home > setup > audio settings to keep some tactility.
I upped the center a couple db. It does make the voice a little louder but not better. It sounds kind of hollow. Best way I can describe it is it's like in the movies when you hear voice from the radio as opposed to voice from the person on screen. That's why I try to compensate by upping SW, but then the SW is overwhelming when sfx kicks in. The various sound fields don't appreciably improve the voice for me. I think I actually prefer dialogue from my cheap $50 PC speakers.

It's a really nice receiver. So many features. I especially like google cast support since I have an android tablet. But the speakers themselves are just so so. They do get loud; the sub and rears are yuuuge.

I'm in a conundrum because I need to decide this weekend whether to keep or return my vizio s4251. Feature wise, there's no comparison with the Sony. The vizio does not even have hdmi. (of course the Sony cost more than twice as much). I think Sony has overall better sound (but not markedly better), except for the dialogue. I'm not crazy about the dialogue on the vizio either, but the Sony is worse. Since 75% of the time what I'm listening to is dialogue, the annoyance with the dialogue overshadows any advantage the Sony has, sound wise. Maybe I just haven't broken it in enough.
post #112 of 154 Old 01-22-2016, 03:14 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc_nick View Post
Would you suggest me to buy RT5 or NT3? Or wait for the new NT5?
My use case is:
60% Movies / TV shows
20% Music
20% Live TV
I decided to keep using my NT3 instead of my RT5 because of the better audio quality. But I am also using it with my secondary setup. I am curious how the NT5 will compare to the NT3 since they changed the drivers with the NT5.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #113 of 154 Old 01-22-2016, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I think Sony has overall better sound (but not markedly better), except for the dialogue. I'm not crazy about the dialogue on the vizio either, but the Sony is worse.
That's weird. I find one of the things the HT-RT5 does really well is the voice audio. Prior to this, I had a Marantz receiver in a 3.1 setup, with a fairly nice dedicated center channel speaker - and the voice audio quality from the HT-RT5 is way better than that setup even (especially when using ClearAudio+)
post #114 of 154 Old 01-22-2016, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaty33 View Post
That's weird. I find one of the things the HT-RT5 does really well is the voice audio. Prior to this, I had a Marantz receiver in a 3.1 setup, with a fairly nice dedicated center channel speaker - and the voice audio quality from the HT-RT5 is way better than that setup even (especially when using ClearAudio+)
I agree the htrt5 voice to me is crisp clear way better than my vizio 5451-c2. The vizio always sounded muffeled to me. I believe the htrt5 has a learning curve but overall for the Costco sale price , features ,band versatility it cannot be beat.
post #115 of 154 Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I upped the center a couple db. It does make the voice a little louder but not better. It sounds kind of hollow. Best way I can describe it is it's like in the movies when you hear voice from the radio as opposed to voice from the person on screen. That's why I try to compensate by upping SW, but then the SW is overwhelming when sfx kicks in. The various sound fields don't appreciably improve the voice for me. I think I actually prefer dialogue from my cheap $50 PC speakers.

It's a really nice receiver. So many features. I especially like google cast support since I have an android tablet. But the speakers themselves are just so so. They do get loud; the sub and rears are yuuuge.

I'm in a conundrum because I need to decide this weekend whether to keep or return my vizio s4251. Feature wise, there's no comparison with the Sony. The vizio does not even have hdmi. (of course the Sony cost more than twice as much). I think Sony has overall better sound (but not markedly better), except for the dialogue. I'm not crazy about the dialogue on the vizio either, but the Sony is worse. Since 75% of the time what I'm listening to is dialogue, the annoyance with the dialogue overshadows any advantage the Sony has, sound wise. Maybe I just haven't broken it in enough.
While I do agree that the mids on the RT5 is lacking heft, I don't think it is worse than the vizio. Several other opinions has confirmed this as well.

Perhaps try this: Set the SW volume in the audio settings to +2.5db. Cap the volume of the sub to 8. This is what I have it at currently and my sitting distance from the soundbar is around 1.3m with the sub at 1.7m (this is also the distance I manually input in the audio settings of the RT5).
Again I do agree the RT5 is lacking some grunt and heft in the mids, but absolutely not worse than the vizio and definitely far from sounding like a mono "radio".
Understand that your room does play a role in how things sound.
post #116 of 154 Old 01-26-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
I agree the htrt5 voice to me is crisp clear way better than my vizio 5451-c2. The vizio always sounded muffeled to me. I believe the htrt5 has a learning curve but overall for the Costco sale price , features ,band versatility it cannot be beat.
I have the Vizio 5451-c2 because I like the WIDE soundstage & powerful sub for movies. Having said that, the Sony interests me because of all the AVR like features. Hopefully the next iteration will use NT5 drivers and I'm sold.

Hollow or muddy center channel sounds to me like you have too much bass dialed in. On my Vizio, I upped the treble a notch and increased the center channel while keeping the bass at default with my sub maxed (good for fx).

The point being, try different settings till you find what sounds good to your ears. Good luck.
post #117 of 154 Old 01-26-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
While I do agree that the mids on the RT5 is lacking heft, I don't think it is worse than the vizio. Several other opinions has confirmed this as well.

Perhaps try this: Set the SW volume in the audio settings to +2.5db. Cap the volume of the sub to 8. This is what I have it at currently and my sitting distance from the soundbar is around 1.3m with the sub at 1.7m (this is also the distance I manually input in the audio settings of the RT5).
Again I do agree the RT5 is lacking some grunt and heft in the mids, but absolutely not worse than the vizio and definitely far from sounding like a mono "radio".
Understand that your room does play a role in how things sound.
Totally agree with you
post #118 of 154 Old 01-26-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I have the Vizio 5451-c2 because I like the WIDE soundstage & powerful sub for movies. Having said that, the Sony interests me because of all the AVR like features. Hopefully the next iteration will use NT5 drivers and I'm sold.

Hollow or muddy center channel sounds to me like you have too much bass dialed in. On my Vizio, I upped the treble a notch and increased the center channel while keeping the bass at default with my sub maxed (good for fx).

The point being, try different settings till you find what sounds good to your ears. Good luck.
I have had the vizio for a year and a half. It's not a bad bar. I have tried every adjustment I could. Although it's a nice soundbar. After having both I find the Sony features adjustments and sound much more to my liking. Must be my age. With the vizio my wife and I kept asking each other what did they say. With the Sony that has stopped. I have watched the Martian , Everest, the walk with the Sony. The I just awesome. I put the vizio up for sale. Again the vizio is a great unit for what it is but the Sony especially for what I paid is more to my liking. And I love the idea of wireless rears. I did adjust the sub as you suggested thanks.
post #119 of 154 Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All I want is a Sony soundbar without a sub. Would rather add my own.
post #120 of 154 Old 02-04-2016, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 67
What sound effect are you guys using? Right now I have DSEE on, Audio DRC on, sound effect "Sound Field On"

I also have all the speaker levels at 3.5, center at 4.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page