The first Atmos Soundbar-Yamaha YSP 5600 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #31 of 681 Old 10-19-2015, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
official video

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 681 Old 10-19-2015, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am confused by all the several yamaha soundbars. Other than the YSP5600, which is not yet out, which is the current high end Yamaha soundebar?
post #33 of 681 Old 10-19-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs0604 View Post
I am confused by all the several yamaha soundbars. Other than the YSP5600, which is not yet out, which is the current high end Yamaha soundebar?
YSP-4300 which is 2 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 681 Old 10-19-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
I have high hopes for this soundbar (and waiting to see what it can do before buying anything else).

I just have three concerns:

1. If it will work effectively in my room (as the more square your room is with all 4 walls the better sounding it is).
2. If it will be as effective with music as it is with movies.
3. If it will be able to get loud enough.

I love the 5600SW package that includes the Yamaha NS-SW300 subwoofer.

It also appears (from the pictures, etc.) that Yamaha has gone away from its piano gloss black of their high end soundbars and the 5600 appears to be a dull flat black and plastic looking - I hope that is not the case.
post #35 of 681 Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 320
What does your room look like? Do you have four solid walls? A rectangular room would produce no problems, as the Yamahas can adjust output, and even directionality, with calibration.

More problematic is when you have non-solid walls, with large archways, etc. Some Yamaha users have had success with some offbeat room arrangements, however.
post #36 of 681 Old 10-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any word on when it's coming out?
post #37 of 681 Old 10-19-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

December 15.
post #38 of 681 Old 10-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dang. Thought it would be sooner than that.
post #39 of 681 Old 10-22-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
I have high hopes for this soundbar (and waiting to see what it can do before buying anything else).

I love the 5600SW package that includes the Yamaha NS-SW300 subwoofer.
How much would that package be in US?

One thing is confused. Based on DT IFA video it said YSP5600 would come with SWK-W16 wireless receiver. But the japanese official website says it is not included.
post #40 of 681 Old 10-22-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookklyn View Post
How much would that package be in US?

One thing is confused. Based on DT IFA video it said YSP5600 would come with SWK-W16 wireless receiver. But the japanese official website says it is not included.
From what I have been able to find - the soundbar alone is supposed to have an MSRP of $1599 - and the SW package, including the subwoofer, is $1899.
post #41 of 681 Old 11-04-2015, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
December 15.
They certainly are pushing it until the last possible moment for the holiday season. Seems a little odd given that they've already demoed it and everything at least seemed to go well.

But, there are always smoke and mirrors at demos. In some cases, they might as well be magic shows.

I've heard scary tales of products that were hand-assembled out of bare parts in a lab using epoxy, and the presenters who prayed they would work right up until they casually leaned over and pressed the power button to turn them off (which they did as fast as humanly possible, while trying not to show any desperation).

Maybe that is the last possible date, and they are hedging, knowing that nobody will mind if they come in early. Yeah, it is wishful thinking. I'm the king of that this year, it seems. I thought there would be a new Vizio P-Series this year too.

Out of curiousity, where did the 12/15 date come from? I asked them directly on their Facebook page, but all those minions knew was "by the end of the year," which I think was also stated in their press release.

Is it a guess, or something more definitive than that?

Sean

"The people crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
post #42 of 681 Old 11-10-2015, 10:13 AM
tdx

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It's now up on Yamaha US' page. But still no solid info on actual availability. I hope it's soon...
post #43 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9297 Post(s)
Liked: 16458
I've decided to send the traffic from my AVS homepage post to this thread. Here is a duplicate of that post, for context...

"Eight years ago, I purchased a Yamaha YSP-500 soundbar that featured the company's sound projector technology. At the time, the technology was quite new; the first-ever 5.1 soundbar—the YSP-1—was released in December of 2004. What made those early YSP soundbars so special was that they offered true 5.1 surround capability from one box, and it worked well. Now, Yamaha adds a third dimension to the YSPs capabilities with the first-ever immersive audio-capable soundbar.

The new YSP-5600 is the latest soundbar—featuring YSP sound projector technology—to come from Yamaha, and it brings all-in-one Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 capability to the table for $1600 plus the cost of a subwoofer. Furthermore, when DTS:X is released, the YSP-5600 will support that format. You may wonder, "How does this soundbar create an immersive experience?" A total of 44 "beam drivers" contained within the soundbar chassis allow it to bounce sound off walls as well as the ceiling.

You don’t need an AV receiver to use the YSP-5600, so it's good to see it sport the very latest HDMI specifications, with 4K 60p and HDCP 2.2 supported in its four HDMI inputs and one output. The new soundbar is also a part of Yamaha's multi-room MusicCast ecosystem, and based on my experience with previous Yamaha YSP soundbars, I expect it will offer a compelling listening experience.

Yamaha offers a wireless subwoofer kit for the YSP-5600, or you can use its wired connection. Yamaha's subwoofer suggestion is its $500 NS-SW500 that features a 10" driver and a rated frequency response of 20 Hz to 150 Hz. In order to provide optimum sound quality, the YSP-5600 uses Yamaha's Intellibeam sound optimizer to analyze the room and adjust its sound beams to create a fully immersive audio experience.

The YSP-5600 is slated to ship this December, and I've already put in a request for a review unit. I'm very optimistic that this new soundbar will deliver on its promise of providing a quality Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7.1.2 experience from a single device (plus a subwoofer). In addition, when you consider that it replaces both an AV receiver and nine speakers—with an installation time measured in minutes not hours—the YSP-5600's potential to popularize immersive audio seems promising."
helvetica bold likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #44 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post
It's now up on Yamaha US' page. But still no solid info on actual availability. I hope it's soon...
Mid December is what I heard. They are probably being loaded onto a container ship as I type.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #45 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 464 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6180 Post(s)
Liked: 5870
Having sat through two years of Dolby CEDIA ATMOS presentations on the "hottest thing since stereo became 5.1 surround sound" It is pretty clear that ATMOS was pitched to the installer crowd as an opportunity to go back and make additional money from their previous clients. The manufacturers are all jumping on board to revitalize their revenue. Everybody is talking 4K and ATMOS.

I'm waiting for the ATMOS enabled sunglasses

mtbdudex, Shniks and WiseOwlFinds like this.
post #46 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
My experience with these units is they are heavily dependent on the room. If you install it in a perfect square or rectangular room you will get a fairly convincing surround effect... If you're like the rest of us and live in oddly shaped or open floor plans or have vaulted ceilings then all bets are off. Also, forget about laying down or burying your head in the couch. Lastly, these projectors produce and project very loud sound but I wouldn't call it the most pleasant noise.

Can someone explain to me what's wrong with buying two stereo speakers and an amp? Never mind the aesthetic advantages (sound bars are ugly plastic 2x4s), a stereo pair will give you better quality sound and more flexibility of placement in your room. I've yet to see one of these fancy plastic boxes that can match the quality and value offered by the most basic two channel system. And, believe it or not, movies sound fantastic in 2 channel. I just see these units as an attempt to reinvent the wheel.
fatuglyguy, Radio81 and HockeyoAJB like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #47 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 AM

So, based on the US website

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/ar...oduces_worlds/

5600+wireless kit+sw300 subwoofer+wall mount= 1599+149+ 549+79=2376 USD

I hope it is worthy
post #48 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I've always been intrigued by the Yamahas with their beam projectors, but my living room, unfortunately, blends into the dining room via a large arch. So, essentially, I have a three sided room. Out of curiosity, how well do the upper tier Yamahas cope with less than ideal environments such as mine? Not too well, I imagine.

It's funny how some in these threads refer to the beam projecting Yamahas as producing simulated surround sound. Although Yamaha does make some inexpensive sound bars which use psychoacoustics to produce a surround effect (AIR SURROUND XREME), the YSP series produce true surround, albeit through projection and reflection.

The Atmos model should be a wonderful option for those with suitable environments.
post #49 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Having sat through two years of Dolby CEDIA ATMOS presentations on the "hottest thing since stereo became 5.1 surround sound" It is pretty clear that ATMOS was pitched to the installer crowd as an opportunity to go back and make additional money from their previous clients. The manufacturers are all jumping on board to revitalize their revenue. Everybody is talking 4K and ATMOS.

I'm waiting for the ATMOS enabled sunglasses
There you have it, from a guy who's built many HT's and listened in many HT's.
I trust Jeff.

When the cow is milked dry, you have to find another cow to milk ...
post #50 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Sage I agree! I very much prefer a nice stereo or 2.1 system over a sound bar if the situation permits.
sage11x likes this.
post #51 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Mark Henninger

I'm not sure the pros and cons of Atmos for theater designers/installers is germane to a soundbar discussion. This device is for a TV in the living room that's going to stream content with a Dolby Digital+ soundtrack that has Atmos encoding, maybe a few will get attached to some flavor of Blu-ray player but my guess is most will rely on a TV for the Atmos-encoded content. It's an altogether different market, and anything that makes Atmos more popular will likely have a net positive effect for the dedicated home theater/custom install crowd anyhow. IMO, of course. I can't predict the future.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #52 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 12:23 PM
tdx

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I love the fact that it's so forward thinking about connections, even planning to included DTSX down the road. My one worry is if the HDMI inputs will 2.0a compatible so they can pass through HDR info. Otherwise a splitter will be needed which kinda defeats the point...
post #53 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Every professional reviewer that heard it at IFA can't say enough good things about it - despite being skeptical at first.

Here are just two reviews from IFA.

https://www.avforums.com/article/fir...soundbar.11899

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...und-projector/
If you watch the second review .. they pan around the display area a bit and there doesn't even seem to be a right side wall .. it's open to the show floor. So, can you really believe someone's review of the sound quality when there would no sidewall reflections??

The other thing that bothers me is that we've been told that Atmos speakers need to be full range speakers since they will supposedly be carrying a wider range of sound objects than typical side or back surround speakers. Are we really supposed to believe that those tiny little projectors are the equal of a decent set of concentric speakers? And I think the general consensus is that a .4 Dolby setup (whether in/on ceiling or upward firing modules) is noticably better than a .2 setup .. so that's another reason why these things can't possibly be doing as good a job as a 'real' speaker setup. Now, granted, it's hard to find a 7.1.2 AVR these days for $1500 for the AVR alone .. so arguably they seem to have an attractive price point. The debate is really about how close they are to a real 7.1.2 setup or a 5.1.4 setup which is my preference.

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
post #54 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Lightbulb Yamaha YSP-5600 | Dolby Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I've decided to send the traffic from my AVS homepage post to this thread. Here is a duplicate of that post, for context...
"Eight years ago, I purchased a Yamaha YSP-500 soundbar that featured the company's sound projector technology. At the time, the technology was quite new; the first-ever 5.1 soundbar—the YSP-1—was released in December of 2004. What made those early YSP soundbars so special was that they offered true 5.1 surround capability from one box, and it worked well. Now, Yamaha adds a third dimension to the YSPs capabilities with the first-ever immersive audio-capable soundbar.
The new YSP-5600 is the latest soundbar—featuring YSP sound projector technology—to come from Yamaha, and it brings all-in-one Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 capability to the table for $1600 plus the cost of a subwoofer. Furthermore, when DTS:X is released, the YSP-5600 will support that format. You may wonder, "How does this soundbar create an immersive experience?" A total of 44 "beam drivers" contained within the soundbar chassis allow it to bounce sound off walls as well as the ceiling.
You don’t need an AV receiver to use the YSP-5600, so it's good to see it sport the very latest HDMI specifications, with 4K 60p and HDCP 2.2 supported in its four HDMI inputs and one output. The new soundbar is also a part of Yamaha's multi-room MusicCast ecosystem, and based on my experience with previous Yamaha YSP soundbars, I expect it will offer a compelling listening experience.
Yamaha offers a wireless subwoofer kit for the YSP-5600, or you can use its wired connection. Yamaha's subwoofer suggestion is its $500 NS-SW500 that features a 10" driver and a rated frequency response of 20 Hz to 150 Hz. In order to provide optimum sound quality, the YSP-5600 uses Yamaha's Intellibeam sound optimizer to analyze the room and adjust its sound beams to create a fully immersive audio experience.
The YSP-5600 is slated to ship this December, and I've already put in a request for a review unit. I'm very optimistic that this new soundbar will deliver on its promise of providing a quality Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7.1.2 experience from a single device (plus a subwoofer). In addition, when you consider that it replaces both an AV receiver and nine speakers—with an installation time measured in minutes not hours—the YSP-5600's potential to popularize immersive audio seems promising."

I was confused, I was looking for your thread Mark; now I finally understand.
post #55 of 681 Old 11-11-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
If you watch the second review .. they pan around the display area a bit and there doesn't even seem to be a right side wall .. it's open to the show floor. So, can you really believe someone's review of the sound quality when there would no sidewall reflections??

The other thing that bothers me is that we've been told that Atmos speakers need to be full range speakers since they will supposedly be carrying a wider range of sound objects than typical side or back surround speakers. Are we really supposed to believe that those tiny little projectors are the equal of a decent set of concentric speakers? And I think the general consensus is that a .4 Dolby setup (whether in/on ceiling or upward firing modules) is noticably better than a .2 setup .. so that's another reason why these things can't possibly be doing as good a job as a 'real' speaker setup. Now, granted, it's hard to find a 7.1.2 AVR these days for $1500 for the AVR alone .. so arguably they seem to have an attractive price point. The debate is really about how close they are to a real 7.1.2 setup or a 5.1.4 setup which is my preference.
A sound bar will never be as good as real speakers so it's pointless to compare. Some people just want an option that is better than the TV speakers and do not want to place speakers around the room. Some do not even want 2 small bookshelf speakers on the side.

Compare this to most other soundbars ONLY.

PS. I would buy a soundbar but no way would I spend this type of money on this.
post #56 of 681 Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Soundbar with Atmos... This is just too much! lol
What will they think of next...?
sage11x likes this.

NAD M17 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #57 of 681 Old 11-12-2015, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked: 2745
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
Soundbar with Atmos... This is just too much! lol
What will they think of next...?
Headphones with Atmos I don't think a soundbar that uses beamforming is necessarily a bad idea for people that can't put 9 speakers in a room or wall. People should get a glimpse of what Atmos can do. Depending on the room of course. Reflecting walls are mandatory.
It's also good value considering what additional devices/accessories you're NOT going to need to buy.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #58 of 681 Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 464 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6180 Post(s)
Liked: 5870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
There you have it, from a guy who's built many HT's and listened in many HT's.
I trust Jeff.
Not to mislead you, if I build another personal home theater it will have Atmos, and the speakers will be in the ceiling. I'm finding fault with everyone wanting to jump on the bandwagon to milk this new cow irregardless of whether their solution does a good job.

Currently BigMouthIndustries is working on a personal Atmos player, Our highly successful 5.1 unit (shown below) is being retrofitted for overhead layer of four speakers. To handle the soundmatrixing tasks Trinnov is working on a pocket player code name MiniTrini.

Shadowed likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 11-12-2015 at 07:06 AM.
post #59 of 681 Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Not to mislead you, if I build another personal home theater it will have Atmos, and the speakers will be in the ceiling. I'm finding fault with everyone wanting to jump on the bandwagon to milk this new cow irregardless of whether their solution does a good job.

Currently BigMouthIndustries is working on a personal Atmos player, Our highly successful 5.1 unit (shown below) is being retrofitted for overhead layer of four speakers. To handle the soundmatrixing tasks Trinnov is working on a pocket player code name MiniTrini.

Yup, in-ceiling speakers and Atmos = yummy "holographic" 3D imaging when done right. Funny picture!

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #60 of 681 Old 11-12-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Hey Jeff, can you make me an Atmos helmet? I want it with concentrics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page