The first Atmos Soundbar-Yamaha YSP 5600 - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #601 of 680 Old 12-07-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
You have a few problems here.

1. To get Atmos you need to connect your sources to the sound bar first then to the one connect. That might be difficult over a Mantle but it depends on how many sources you have. A 2014 model would likely not use Dolby Digital Plus needed for Atmos if connecting via ARC.

2. Having your sound bar right next to the ceiling is not great acoustically for sound quality.

3. I doubt will give a good Atmos effect because where it will bounce off the ceiling will likely not have a great reflection to your seating. With your ceilings it may work but the only way is to try it.

4. Your large room might not give good surround effect. But if any sound bar could do it this would be one of them.

With this sound bar a sub is must. With your size room going with a larger sound bar is a good idea if you plan on viewing from further than your seating and being able to hear. At your seating position most sound bars might be OK, but not great. Bigger is better for filling this size room. I would also consider mounting it below the TV would help for dialogue intelligibility but that would be a tradeoff with viewing height.
BruceMcD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 680 Old 12-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks. From what I can tell from this thread, it seems I should avoid ARC and use an optical cable? If so, DD+ issue would be moot, no?

There would be a good 5-6 feet between the ceiling and the soundbar where the bar would be mounted. What I'm wondering is whether the adjustment feature will allow me to tweak the system to account for the sloped ceiling...

Or, I suppose I could drop the ATMOS concern and get the 2700. It's 6 inches shorter, and I could mount it below the TV as a result...only save $100 in doing that, so it seems like a shame not to try the 5600...except for the height concern...
post #603 of 680 Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ARC can be a crapshoot but a lot of it has to do with the CEC part with switching and powering on/off devices. DD+ can go over ARC but not optical, although I am not sure if your TV can handle DD+ to pass through to ARC being an older model. Atmos wasn't add3d to the DD+ spec until 2014. The 2700 has a 500hz crossover to the sub because its 16 beam drivers (tweeters) can't go that low. To have good coherent sound from it I recommend placing the sub relatively close to the sound bar. Also, because of the high crossover they only use a 5.25" sub which is pretty wimpy for bass. While the 2700 can give some good surround effects its sound quality is lacking compared to most sound bars even ones a fraction of the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 680 Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
You have a few problems here.

1. To get Atmos you need to connect your sources to the sound bar first then to the one connect. That might be difficult over a Mantle but it depends on how many sources you have. A 2014 model would likely not use Dolby Digital Plus needed for Atmos if connecting via ARC.

2. Having your sound bar right next to the ceiling is not great acoustically for sound quality.

3. I doubt will give a good Atmos effect because where it will bounce off the ceiling will likely not have a great reflection to your seating. With your ceilings it may work but the only way is to try it.

4. Your large room might not give good surround effect. But if any sound bar could do it this would be one of them.

With this sound bar a sub is must. With your size room going with a larger sound bar is a good idea if you plan on viewing from further than your seating and being able to hear. At your seating position most sound bars might be OK, but not great. Bigger is better for filling this size room. I would also consider mounting it below the TV would help for dialogue intelligibility but that would be a tradeoff with viewing height.
It does try to create to beste environment with the auto adjust function,right. So if you put the mic on the seat it will create the best beam pathing(if there is even a path available ofc. ) to that place?
post #605 of 680 Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It will certainly try but it doesn't mean the results will be good. There is manual adjustments as well
post #606 of 680 Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Verde View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinuted the product, either. I got it for the same price as the Yamaha YSP-2700 (at Visions Electronics in Canada).
How much was the YSP-5600 at Visions? Just trying to gauge what was the lowest price history on this model in Canada.
post #607 of 680 Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does it support Dolby Vision?

Entertainment 1: MacBook Pro 2018, Klipsch R-15PM, A&K Futura, Focal Clear, iPad Air 2, B&W PX
Entertainment 2: Building new setup
Outdoor: iPhone SE 128Gb, Powerbeats 3
post #608 of 680 Old 01-27-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, it has the older HDMI chips. If it wasn't for that it would be a great sound bar. If using a Blu-ray I would get on with two HDMI output one to go to the TV and one for the soundbar.
post #609 of 680 Old 02-11-2018, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Question to own one of the recommended yamaha subwoofers. Where did you connect the cable that outputs from the ysp-5600. The subwoofer has 3 inputs, left, right and LFE.
post #610 of 680 Old 02-11-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

LFE is where you want to connect it.
post #611 of 680 Old 02-11-2018, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can't wait for this to update to the next model
post #612 of 680 Old 02-14-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Two questions for those with this soundbar

1. Can I run a dual sub setup with this? I was thinking of getting two svs pb-2000 to run along side this

2. Where is optimal placement for this soundbar? Since it is so tall it will block my tv. I have a 80 inch lg ub9800. The tv resides on a stand that is 21" high. I was thinking of either getting a small center channel stand(12 inches high) in front of the current tv stand or hanging the sound bar on the wall above the tv.

That scenario the sound bar will be at minimum 70 inches in the air.
But my main concern is optimal placement for this huge sound bar
post #613 of 680 Old 02-14-2018, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

1. Yes you just need a 'Y' adapter or 'Y' Cable.

2. Ear height is optimal
post #614 of 680 Old 02-16-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelieburn View Post
Hi everybody, I'm new here and I just had a question on a setup I have. I bought a 2016 LG OLED B6P, a Yamaha YSP 5600, a ROKU Ultra and a older Apple TV. I basically watch TV from the Antenna or sling. I have read quite a few posts and learned the hard way what limitations this setup has. ARC, the Atmos signal ect. I am basically trying to get the most out of this setup. I realize the YSP 5600 cant pass HDR so I bought a Key Digital KD-DA 1x2 HDMI Distribution Amplifier UHD/HDCP 2.2. So What I did is, Roku Ultra out to the splitter, Output 1 from splitter to HDMI 1 input on TV. Output 2 to the HDMI 1 input on the 5600, (the 2.2 input). I use the TV optical out from the TV to the TV optical in on the 5600. Last the apple TV out to the TV HDMI 3 input and Optical out to the ysp 5600 optical in. I hope this makes sense my goal is get the best picture and sound understanding all pieces have certain limitations. I have not decided on whether to output from the 5600 to the TV, won't be able to see the 5600 menu options if I don't. I am hoping someone will read this and hopefully offer a better solution or and advice on additional equipment if I need it. I think it's just amazing how helpful people try to be on here which is why I am here. I have learned so much so I am hoping someone can help. I did set this up last night with some rather strange results. But maybe I should hold off until someone asks.

Have you figured out your dilemma? I may have the same issue I have an Nvidia Shield and Apple Tv I want to hookup to the YSP once it gets here.

I just want to get Atmos working with both of these devices. Nvidia Shield will be running movies on my plex server
post #615 of 680 Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DavidML3,

What TV are you using? What formats of material are you playing for both audio and video? Some possible solutions.

Scenario 1: All my material is streaming and uses Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) for Atmos. My TV can handleDD+.
Connect your devices to the TV and the 5600 connected to the TV using the ARC connection, you can get Atmos through ARC with DD+ but your TV needs to be able to send the DD+ signal to the ARC connection. Not all TVs have this capability.

Scenario 2: I have devices that use the lossless Dolby True HD and/or DTS:X for overhead effects.
You need something like an HDFury AVR Key, Vertex or possibly Integral. You would connect your device to the AVRKey. The AVRKey has 2 HDMI outputs, one would go to the TV input and the other to the sound bar input. Vertex and Integral have 2 HDMi inputs.

Scenario 3: Your TV does not have HDR.
Connect all your devices to the sound bar and then from the sound bar to the TV
post #616 of 680 Old 02-17-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DavidML3,

What TV are you using? What formats of material are you playing for both audio and video? Some possible solutions.

Scenario 1: All my material is streaming and uses Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) for Atmos. My TV can handleDD+.
Connect your devices to the TV and the 5600 connected to the TV using the ARC connection, you can get Atmos through ARC with DD+ but your TV needs to be able to send the DD+ signal to the ARC connection. Not all TVs have this capability.

Scenario 2: I have devices that use the lossless Dolby True HD and/or DTS:X for overhead effects.
You need something like an HDFury AVR Key, Vertex or possibly Integral. You would connect your device to the AVRKey. The AVRKey has 2 HDMI outputs, one would go to the TV input and the other to the sound bar input. Vertex and Integral have 2 HDMi inputs.

Scenario 3: Your TV does not have HDR.
Connect all your devices to the sound bar and then from the sound bar to the TV
I would be scenario 3.

I have an lg 79ub9800 that does not have HDR. It does have ARC.
post #617 of 680 Old 02-17-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You would only need ARC if using your TV OTA tuner. Otherwise I wouldn't use it. I'd connect all your devices to the sound bar and then the sound bar to any input on the TV. Doesn't have to be the ARC input.
post #618 of 680 Old 02-25-2018, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Having been in the market for over two years now can we the replacement model sometime soon?

Historically hasn’t the top end YSP models been on a two year life cycle.
post #619 of 680 Old 02-25-2018, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd like to see one too but I am not sure if sales justify a replacement at all. Besides having outdated HDMI chips the larger sound bars do sell as well as the smaller ones no matter how good they sound. I've seen this already with other companies that haven't come out with newer versions of their best sounding but larger models.
post #620 of 680 Old 03-03-2018, 10:57 PM

Really disappointed with the state of Atmos soundbar lately. There has been hardly any new introductions in the last two years.

Would be nice to see full 4K and HDR pass-through along with the option of full 7.1.2 (or ideally better) support direct from the soundbar along with true (and reliable 100% working) wireless surrounds and subwoofers.

There are some very nice options on the market but there’s A LOT that could have been improved in the last two years.
post #621 of 680 Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Soi finally got this today after 2 years of waiting.

The front 3 with dual subs sounds amazing.

The back surround seems extremley weak and it sounds like it is coming from the sides and not the back. My room is a rectangle 20x14. Back walls are 20 ft from the 5600

I havent played with it much. Just ran the mic test once. Havent tried 3d surround mode yet.

Should i run the mic setup from each listening position? Any other tips?
post #622 of 680 Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyMc View Post
Really disappointed with the state of Atmos soundbar lately. There has been hardly any new introductions in the last two years.

Would be nice to see full 4K and HDR pass-through along with the option of full 7.1.2 (or ideally better) support direct from the soundbar along with true (and reliable 100% working) wireless surrounds and subwoofers.

There are some very nice options on the market but there’s A LOT that could have been improved in the last two years.
I agree. I demoed the Sony and Samsung and wasn't satisfied with either. The Bose Soundtouch 300 projects a much wider sound field than the $1500 "7.1.2" Sony bar.

Has anyone used the Xbox Atmos app with the Yamaha? Does it make a big difference?
post #623 of 680 Old 03-10-2018, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil of OLED View Post
I agree. I demoed the Sony and Samsung and wasn't satisfied with either. The Bose Soundtouch 300 projects a much wider sound field than the $1500 "7.1.2" Sony bar.

Has anyone used the Xbox Atmos app with the Yamaha? Does it make a big difference?
No but ill try. Im not really feeling the atmos on this soundbar. The height channels amd rear surround are lacking. The center and front surrounds sound excellent.

Its really hard to get what i want out of this soundbar. I really need some dedicated speakers for the rear channels so i may be returning this and getting the samsung sound bar.
post #624 of 680 Old 03-27-2018, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Ellebob;55704576]DavidML3,

So my AVR Key arrived today and I've set it up with my 4K Samsung TV, my Yamaha YSP-5600 Soundbar and my Xbox One X.
I connected everything as per the advice in Scenario 2 above.
All appears to be working perfectly.
I have the Dolby App installed on the Xbox One X and it's all indicating that Atmos is going through (everything is checked correctly). I have tested this on the new UHD 4K Last Jedi disc.
Weird thing happened. When playing the movie, the movie playback settings on the Xbox One X indicate the sound is coming through as DolbyTrue HD on the screen, but the settings on the Yamaha YSP-5600 indicate that Atmos is selected. Is there anything to be concerned about here? Do I have the settings correct?
post #625 of 680 Old 03-28-2018, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It sounds like you have it set up correctly! Atmos is part of the Dolby True HD format. Atmos was added to Dolby True HD to maintain backward compatibility. On Dolby True HD material there is what is called a base layer and the Atmos layer. if your device is not Atmos capable it will just play the base (7.1) layer. if your device is Atmos capable like your 5600 it will play the base 7.1 layer and the Atmos layer. The Xbox probably only knows it is sending Dolby True HD to the sound bar and doesn't look at the layers it has as it is not decoding it.
post #626 of 680 Old 03-28-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you have it set up correctly! Atmos is part of the Dolby True HD format. Atmos was added to Dolby True HD to maintain backward compatibility. On Dolby True HD material there is what is called a base layer and the Atmos layer. if your device is not Atmos capable it will just play the base (7.1) layer. if your device is Atmos capable like your 5600 it will play the base 7.1 layer and the Atmos layer. The Xbox probably only knows it is sending Dolby True HD to the sound bar and doesn't look at the layers it has as it is not decoding it.
Thanks mate. So - does the Xbox One X (Atmos capable) indicate it is playing an Atmos bluray disc (any movie)? (When you press down on the right thumbstick on an xbox one controller, the bluray disc playback settings / frame rates etc, appear at the top of the screen). If the Xbox One X is Atmos capable, why is it not clearly indicated onscreen vs indicating Dolby TrueHD etc?
post #627 of 680 Old 03-28-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Because Atmos is embedded in the Dolby True HD signal which is being sent to the soundbar to be decoded by the sound bar. The Xbox is not decoding it. The Xbox is decoding the video on the disc and sending the decoded video to the TV. If the Xbox decoded the Dolby True HD it would decode it to 7.1 PCM. Since HDMI is only capable of carrying PCM 7.1, the Xbox would only decode the base layer of Dolby True HD anyway. That's why to get Atmos you have to send the Dolby True HD (aka Bitstream) to the audio device in this case a sound bar.
post #628 of 680 Old 03-28-2018, 08:20 PM

Thanks for your help mate. Appreciate it.
post #629 of 680 Old 07-18-2018, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HI ALL,

Any news on the sucessor / upgrade to this YSP 5600 sound-bar. Im in the market to purchase a new sound-bar in the next couple of weeks and am inclined on Bose ST300 bundle with bass module in absence of upgraded 5600 model from yamaha
post #630 of 680 Old 07-18-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav013a View Post
HI ALL,

Any news on the sucessor / upgrade to this YSP 5600 sound-bar. Im in the market to purchase a new sound-bar in the next couple of weeks and am inclined on Bose ST300 bundle with bass module in absence of upgraded 5600 model from yamaha
I'd been asking the same thing for some time. The YSP-5600 is long overdue for a replacement. However this is fairly common with Yamaha on the high-end sound bars.

I've got some reservations with the the Bose ST300. First off it's a few years old as well. Not as old as the Yamaha, but still. It also doesn't handle Atmos. You can add Dolby surrounds for a traditional 5.1 audio set-up but thats about it. If you're watching 4K streaming material you're going to have some problems with surround with Atmos surround encoding and non Atmos sound bar.

Additionally (without going through the specs) I'm pretty sure it's not up to date with HDMI standards including version, 4K pass through, HDR pass through, etc.

I'm be looking at some of the sound bars that came out this year or are coming out later this year. I can't speak to quality which I sure isn't quite the same. But Vizio has been more and more upscale with their soundbars and have an Atmos soundbar coming out this year that you can also add Atmos surrounds as well which is nice.

Anyhow my thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page