The first Atmos Soundbar-Yamaha YSP 5600 - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #661 of 680 Old 12-19-2018, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
HDMI is more capable as it can handle the lossless and ATMOS/DTS:X formats. HDMI when connected directly to the sound bar (or a receiver/processor) can play Dolby True HD with Atmos, DTS HD Master Audio with DTS:X , multichannel lossless PCM (up to 7.1), and Dolby Digital+. Optical and ARC can only handle the compressed surround formats Dolby Digital, DTS and lossless PCM but only in stereo with one exception. ARC can also do Dolby Digital+ which is still a compressed format but can carry Atmos information. This is good if using the TV apps with an Atmos device.

There are times I recommend optical instead of ARC but it has to do with more ease of use controlling the system. To use ARC the CEC (consumer Electronics Control) feature of HDMI has to be turned on. This often causes problems with input switching and turning on//off components and for some that reliability and ease of use. So sometimes we use a universal remote and turn off ARC/CEC and use optical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 680 Old 12-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinklez View Post
Oh and my setup ended up being:

One high speed hdmi cable from Xbox one x to the hdfury box, then two hi-speed hdmi cables go directly to the TV and yamaha respectively. I used hdmi 1 on the Yamaha since that port appears to be the master - and I set the Xbox one x audio to Bitstream out and Atmos - disabling the optical port just to be safe.

It took one restart after that for the Xbox to send the right signal - which is by design I believe. As I mentioned I skipped arc entirely since my cable box routes through the Xbox and one guide.

Lip sync and latency are both perfect as long as I select game mode on that hdmi port on the TV.
Are you still happy with the HDFURY box? I am in the same situation with an Apple TV 4K. I want both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I tried an HDMI splitter that my local AV store recommended, but couldn’t get it to work. The HDFURY is a tab expensive. I don’t want to invest in it unless I can get to work.
post #663 of 680 Old 12-25-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Regular splitters won't work for what you are trying to do. Many do not understand how HDMI works. Every device in the chain has to communicate with the source and tell its capabilities, in this instance the Apple TV. Even the splitters have to identify with the source

The Apple TV will send the best signal it can for the least capable device. So the 5600 can only handle 10gbs but your TV can handle 18gbs. So the Apple TV sends only 10gbs formats and that is all that gets sent via the splitter.

The HD Fury device tells the source it can handle 18gbs but then converts that to 10gbs for the 5600 and keeps the 18gbs going to the TV. It is much more than a regular splitter and very reasonably priced for what it does. Other units that have similar capabilities are 2-3+ times more expensive. While it is not an inexpensive device it is probably the least expensive device that does what you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 680 Old 12-25-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Regular splitters won't work for what you are trying to do. Many do not understand how HDMI works. Every device in the chain has to communicate with the source and tell its capabilities, in this instance the Apple TV. Even the splitters have to identify with the source

The Apple TV will send the best signal it can for the least capable device. So the 5600 can only handle 10gbs but your TV can handle 18gbs. So the Apple TV sends only 10gbs formats and that is all that gets sent via the splitter.

The HD Fury device tells the source it can handle 18gbs but then converts that to 10gbs for the 5600 and keeps the 18gbs going to the TV. It is much more than a regular splitter and very reasonably priced for what it does. Other units that have similar capabilities are 2-3+ times more expensive. While it is not an inexpensive device it is probably the least expensive device that does what you need.
Thank you so much for the advice. Can you let me know which of the two HDFURYs that you linked in a previous post you would recommend for my situation?
post #665 of 680 Old 12-25-2018, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The AVR key will work fine and less expensive than the Vertex.
post #666 of 680 Old 12-25-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
The AVR key will work fine and less expensive than the Vertex.
Thanks! Can I ask you another question regarding the YSP-5600 HDMI connections. I am not getting sound from my 4K Blu-ray Player with the following setup

TV: Vizio M50-D1
HDMI 1: Yamaha YSP-5600
HDMI 2: LG UBK90 Bluray Player
HDMI 3: Xbox One S
HDMI 4: Apple TV

LG UBK90 Bluray Player
HDMI 1 Out to Vizio TV HDMI 2
HDMI 2 Out to YSP-5600 HDMI 2

Yamaha YSP-5600
HDMI 1: Dish Network
HDMI 2: LG UBK90 Bluray Player
HDMI 3 and 4: Nothing

I am not getting audio when I set the TV to HDMI 2 and YSP-5600 to HDMI 2 to watch a 4K movie. However, I do get sound when I turn the TV to HDMI 1 (no video) and keep the YSP-5600 on HDMI 2 or when I unplug the cable going into HDMI 1 from the TV. When I unplug HDMI1 I would't be able to get ARC for the Dish Network through HDMI. I would have to use the optical connection between the TV and YSP-5600. Thanks
post #667 of 680 Old 12-26-2018, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not familiar with your particular models but here some educated guesses.

No sound wuth these connections
Blu-ray > HDMI 2 on TV
Blu-ray Audio > HDMI 2 on 5600
My guess is this is a setting in the player. You probably have to tell your player to use the HDMI audio only connection. My guess is the sound is going to the TV. In theory these should work if set to some auto type setting ut in practice not always.

No Video
Blu-ray > HDMI1 on TV
Blu-ray Audio > HDMI 2
No video makes sense because the blu-ray video is not on HDMI 1 for the TV and the auto feature of theplyer isdetecting the 5600 on the audio only connection.

I think you have a few problems here and some possible solutions.

1. I'm not a 100% on this as you will have to check for your specific model but many of the Vizio TVs only get full 4K with HDR on HDMI input1. The other connections can only do basic 8bit 4K.
2. If HDMI1 is your ARC connection you can't have full 4K/HDR and ARC at the same time unless the sound bar or receiver is full 4K capable and all the 4K/HDR devices are switched through the sound bar or receiver. The 5600 is not full 4K/HDR capable.

With an Apple TV and your blu-ray in the system do you use the apps in your TV?
I would get an HD Fury Integral 2 or HD Fury Vertex for your Apple TV and Blu-ray player.

If you want all your devices (Xbox and Dish as well) to have full 4K capability then you need aa 4K switch which has an HDMI audio out capability. One comes to mind but HDFury has a new product shipping in January that would work.
https://www.avprostore.com/18Gbps-Tr...-mx42-auhd.htm

The HDFury Maestro. You only need the Central unit but I think you get both now for $499. After the Pre-order both cost $999 and the central unit will cost $599.
https://hdfury.com/product/maestro/

This should also work but haven't used it.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15750
post #668 of 680 Old 12-26-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with your particular models but here some educated guesses.

No sound wuth these connections
Blu-ray > HDMI 2 on TV
Blu-ray Audio > HDMI 2 on 5600
My guess is this is a setting in the player. You probably have to tell your player to use the HDMI audio only connection. My guess is the sound is going to the TV. In theory these should work if set to some auto type setting ut in practice not always.

No Video
Blu-ray > HDMI1 on TV
Blu-ray Audio > HDMI 2
No video makes sense because the blu-ray video is not on HDMI 1 for the TV and the auto feature of theplyer isdetecting the 5600 on the audio only connection.

I think you have a few problems here and some possible solutions.

1. I'm not a 100% on this as you will have to check for your specific model but many of the Vizio TVs only get full 4K with HDR on HDMI input1. The other connections can only do basic 8bit 4K.
2. If HDMI1 is your ARC connection you can't have full 4K/HDR and ARC at the same time unless the sound bar or receiver is full 4K capable and all the 4K/HDR devices are switched through the sound bar or receiver. The 5600 is not full 4K/HDR capable.

With an Apple TV and your blu-ray in the system do you use the apps in your TV?
I would get an HD Fury Integral 2 or HD Fury Vertex for your Apple TV and Blu-ray player.

If you want all your devices (Xbox and Dish as well) to have full 4K capability then you need aa 4K switch which has an HDMI audio out capability. One comes to mind but HDFury has a new product shipping in January that would work.
https://www.avprostore.com/18Gbps-Tr...-mx42-auhd.htm

The HDFury Maestro. You only need the Central unit but I think you get both now for $499. After the Pre-order both cost $999 and the central unit will cost $599.
https://hdfury.com/product/maestro/

This should also work but haven't used it.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15750
Thanks again for your help. I previously tried changing the audio setting in the player to HDMI 2 from Auto, but that did not allow sound to come through the soundbar. While not ideal, I decided to disconnect the YSP-5600 from TV HDMI 1. I will use the optical connection for my Dish, Apple TV, and Xbox One S for audio until I buy one of the devices that you linked above. This will give me HDR/DV sound for my streaming and HDR/DV and Atmos for the 4K Blu-ray Player.
post #669 of 680 Old 12-26-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigasiannd View Post
Are you still happy with the HDFURY box? I am in the same situation with an Apple TV 4K. I want both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I tried an HDMI splitter that my local AV store recommended, but couldn’t get it to work. The HDFURY is a tab expensive. I don’t want to invest in it unless I can get to work.
You can try responding in the Amazon review thread at amazon.com - the HDFury customer support usually responds very quickly and in detail - and this will be a scenario they've tested against for sure.
post #670 of 680 Old 02-05-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AVR as alternative to HDFury

Are there any AVRs which could be used to split the signal so as to get Atmos at the YSP-5600 and HDR/Dolby Vision at the TV instead of using an HDFury device?
post #671 of 680 Old 02-06-2019, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No
post #672 of 680 Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 PM

Ok.

I am thinking of feeding several sources into an AVR then to HDFury device and then to an HDR TV and a YSP-5600. Would the HDFury device need to be reconfigured for each AVR input or is it a set it and forget it type of device?
post #673 of 680 Old 02-07-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would use an HDMI switch instead of an AVR. The HDFury is a set and forget type of device.
post #674 of 680 Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 114
My ysp-1 died and I bought the 5600 yesterday. I'm still using panasonic plasma's with 1080p max resolution and i'm running my cable directly thru hdmi to the tv and the optical output to the soundbar. Would you guys recommend another setup?

Meridian dsp8000,Usher BE-20 DMD dancer, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's and (Strauss for sale), Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,[path]salon2, salon1, f52, r105/3, ads L9e and the infamous bose 901 vI.
post #675 of 680 Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I’m in the market for a new sound bar and Iv narrowed down to a few different options YSP-5600, Atlantic technologies PB-235, B&W panorama 2. Iv found a few good deals on these soundbars and could really use some advice. It’ll be going in my room and i’ll mostly be using it for movies & gaming (ps4 pro) and occasionally some music. Thanks guys
post #676 of 680 Old 02-13-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by res036 View Post
I’m in the market for a new sound bar and Iv narrowed down to a few different options YSP-5600, Atlantic technologies PB-235, B&W panorama 2. Iv found a few good deals on these soundbars and could really use some advice. It’ll be going in my room and i’ll mostly be using it for movies & gaming (ps4 pro) and occasionally some music. Thanks guys

I have the Panorama 2 - it's very good, had it for a while, since a 1080p Panasonic LCD tv... now replaced by a Sony A8F so just be aware that:-
the Panorama does NOT pass thru 4k or HDR thru its HDMI inputs to its one output.

So I've got all my HDMI from Cable box and ATV4k going to the Sony, and then optical audio out from TV to the B&W.
Works fine. (I also feed optical from a Sonos Connect to the Panorama - so had to get an optical switch. Got one with IR remote so my Logitech Harmony remote can control everything).
post #677 of 680 Old 02-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I tried using the hdmi from my cable box and when it discovered the soundbar it blocked the signal!!! gotta love comcast.

Meridian dsp8000,Usher BE-20 DMD dancer, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's and (Strauss for sale), Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,[path]salon2, salon1, f52, r105/3, ads L9e and the infamous bose 901 vI.
post #678 of 680 Old 03-01-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Subwoofer Connectivity

Hi I've been using my ysp 5600 for about 3 years now. I moved in to a bigger apartment recently and now have the space for installing a sub. I am a noob at this so please excuse in case of any blunders. I have decided to get the 12" monoprice sub as its a good price/performance. I need to know how I would connect the sub to the soundbar as the sub doesn't have an LFE input. Thanks in advance. I'm still on the fence about the wireless kit as my placement of the sub is undecided.
post #679 of 680 Old 04-01-2019, 06:11 AM

YSP-5600 no sound

Hello,

Since the last firmware update for the YSP-5600, when i power on the sound bar , i have no sound for about 2 minutes. Do you think it's related to the update?

Thank you.
post #680 of 680 Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys, bad news. Was watching game of thrones last night and had volume at 50 sub at +3, when the characters spoke loudly or yelled kept hearing a sharp crackle. It happened once last week same show and i blew it off but this time it was much more prevalent. How is Yamaha with product support with this thing? Ive had it since Dec 2018.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page