12Likes

post #91 of 128 Old 10-21-2016, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I am not sure if the sound bar and receiver use the same codes. I don't think so but I am not sure. Anyway, if they do Yamaha has an alternate set of codes built into every receiver. You just go into the advanced menu of the receiver and change it from remote ID from ID1 to ID2. If they do use the same code and you might have to put in the hex codes manually for the remote, PM and I'll give you the instructions. I don't think URC has many ID2 codes in its database. Most dealers would never use them and just use a base station with individual flashers for each device.

Also with URC you will likely have multiple IR code sets for your receiver. There are a lot of functions you can control with Yamaha that is not available on the factory remote. Yamaha makes these codes available to dealers and has a special site for dealers to download these codes. Many are already in the URC database but might not be under your exact model. Do plan on spending some time learning the software for the MX-780. It is no where near as simple as a Harmony but a lot more flexible and customizable once you know it.
had my first issue with the YSP-1600 soundbar today. got it all resolved but i was just imagining what a mess this would have been if it had been renters at my beach house:

I was playing musiccast music today on soundbar, from my cell phone. MusicCast works great by the way. But when I was done, I forgot to switch back to tv on the MusicCast app on my phone. I had left the soundbar on all afternoon
When the wife came back to work we wanted to watch the latest BS on CNN with the elections. I turned on the tv and manually switched the soundbar input to tv. Crap. No sound from the soundbar. I checked setup on the TV and CEC was on, but ARC no longer worked -- it was just blanked out on the setup menu. The TV would not recognize the Soundbar as a CEC device to connect to. Bad news. I tried 10 different hdmi cables thinking it was a cable problem. Couldn't enter set up on the soundbar due to lack of ARC. Really, No joy. I remembered ellebob's advice about HDMI CEC. So here's what I had to do to get it working again, i.e. TV sound output to the soundbar, and single remote control for the XFinity Cable box, Sharp TV, and YSP-1600 soundbar:

turned off CEC
connected soundbar to tv by optical
turned off CEC on the TV
reprogrammed the XFinity XR11 remote to add control for the yamaha soundbar using code 32458 from the XFinity website (it was the 5th or 6th Yamaha code.)
Works!
Back to one remote solution.

I guess this is a dry run for the install of the MX-780 universal remote. I now agree fully with ellebob based on this experience. HDMI CEC is bogus. works fine when it works, but is not a robust solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 128 Old 10-22-2016, 10:42 AM

ok my bad for all the above. i realize anyone reading this is probably getting bored with my adventures, but maybe they'll help someone who encounters the same issue.

this morning i figured i'd try once again to see if I could get ARC working on my TV and soundbar.
I turned on the on tv, it was still set on the CNN election coverage. and still no joy on entering set up for soundbar when I hit "setup" on the YSP-1600 remote.
for fun, I switched input from TV to another input with no signal (my AV receiver, which was turned off).
pressed setup on soundbar remote.
presto! I had the YSP-1600 set up menu back on the TV screen!
I scrolled to HDMI menu, and sure enough, HDMI control was turned off. That was the root of all the problems I had yesterday.
I recalled that before listening to music on MusicCast yesterday afternoon, I had updated the YSB-1600 firmware using the MusicCast app. Now that I had the set up menu in front of my eyes, i saw that I was now on firmware version 2.48 (previous version was 2.39). So I figure the firmware upgrade i did yesterday and forgot about, must've reset the YSP-1600 settings to default (i.e. HDMI control off)
Also figure the reason I couldn't get the YSP-1600 set up menu to display on the TV screen was not due to ARC being turned off, but it must've been due to a conflict with the Cable TV being carried on the TV screen? Switching to a TV input with no signal made the difference.
So now I'm back where I started yesterday before the firmware update, with a single remote control. I had though the MusicCast app had somehow screwed things up but it looks like it was all due to the firmware update. Should've realized that, it's standard for a firmware update, but I had just forgotten... it's so easy to update on the MusicCast app... just fire and forget.
post #93 of 128 Old 11-02-2016, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Room shape

Hi all,

Have been looking at the Yamaha YSP 1600 for a little while, but would like some thoughts on whether the 'surround' effect would work in my room, or whether I should go for a more standard (cheaper!) soundbar.

The attachment shows my L-shaped living room/kitchen - would the absence of a wall on the left and the fact my sofa is against the wall be a big problem here? Not sure whether to go for this or something a little cheaper that doesn't attempt at a surround effect.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	living-room.png
Views:	226
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	1749761  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 128 Old 11-02-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuteless View Post
Hi all,

Have been looking at the Yamaha YSP 1600 for a little while, but would like some thoughts on whether the 'surround' effect would work in my room, or whether I should go for a more standard (cheaper!) soundbar.

The attachment shows my L-shaped living room/kitchen - would the absence of a wall on the left and the fact my sofa is against the wall be a big problem here? Not sure whether to go for this or something a little cheaper that doesn't attempt at a surround effect.

Thanks!
Hi Chuteless. Your room configuration looks less than optimal for surround sound. But I still think you would like the YSP-1600. The sound quality is really nice, especially if you add a powered subwoofer (which you can get good deals on if you look). My living room home theater has both a 5.1 surround system (for movies and music) and the YSP-1600 (dedicated to TV, and MusiCast music when I'm too lazy to crank up the amplifier and use the Sonos). I don't consider myself an audiophile but I have some decent equipment and I enjoy good sound, and I definitely rate the YSP-1600. As for surround sound, it won't be great with your room configuration, but you can do some tweaking and it won't be all bad. But it seems the soundbar is designed for and sounds best in a box shaped room. BTW, If you look around (do a google search) you can find a refurb YSP-1600 on line for about $100 or more off list. I got one and it's basically brand new. no complaints. Good luck, whatever you decide
post #95 of 128 Old 11-04-2016, 05:36 AM

Thanks frogfeet! Still a little undecided (it's at the top of my budget so want to make sure it's worth the extra) but will keep an eye out for deals!
post #96 of 128 Old 11-27-2016, 12:43 AM

Hi Guys..

Just got this YSP-1600 a few mths ago and loving it. However today i decided to use my Bluedio Headphones to watch movies (not disturbing my family at wee hours) but i simply can't get it to work. The Bluetooth option in the SETUP was simply greyed out.

I currently connect the sound bar to samsung TV via ARC. Any help appreciated!
post #97 of 128 Old 11-27-2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Goh View Post
Hi Guys..

Just got this YSP-1600 a few mths ago and loving it. However today i decided to use my Bluedio Headphones to watch movies (not disturbing my family at wee hours) but i simply can't get it to work. The Bluetooth option in the SETUP was simply greyed out.

I currently connect the sound bar to samsung TV via ARC. Any help appreciated!
Ok found the solution. Have to set the input as HDMI
post #98 of 128 Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Goh View Post
Ok found the solution. Have to set the input as HDMI
glad you got it figured out!
post #99 of 128 Old 02-02-2017, 02:38 AM

Signal Problems Sky to Soundbar to TV

Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me out.
I have 3 devices, Sky Q, Xbox one and Bluray player. I used to have the Sky and Xbox connect to the TV (Samsung UE48H6700) directly and use the soundbar as an output, the Bluray was directly connected to the soundbar. Then I watched a Bluray via the soundbar and the sound was great so I started looking at how I could get the Sky and Xbox to play through the soundbar too.
I have tried a few methods eventually settling on a HDMI switch. It works really well when it works but some mornings I turn on the Sky, TV and soundbar and I get no picture or sound from the soundbar. So I connect the Sky directly to the HDMI input on the soundbar and reboot it all, still no picture or sound. Then I connect the Sky directly into the TV and I get picture and sound (but obviously lose my Dolby sound).
Have any of you experienced similar setups and if so how have you got it all working?
My Xbox one is in "Instant On" mode and this can mess up things so I have tried the same setup with the Xbox plugged directly into the TV and I get the same issue.
Some more info, everything has HDMI control on, I have tried connecting the Soundbar on both the ARC HDMI port on my TV and another one (not clear if this port supports ARC or not but it's not marked as such).
Any help or advice you can give is much appreciated.
post #100 of 128 Old 02-07-2017, 01:41 AM

So I can get it all up and working quite reliably with HDMI Control turned off on the Yamaha Soundbar. Looks like I am in the market for a Universal Remote.
post #101 of 128 Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys does this soundbar allow HDR passthrough? I don't see on their spec sheet that it does it just states Ultra 4K passthrough
post #102 of 128 Old 05-19-2017, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 494
no.
post #103 of 128 Old 05-22-2017, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looks like there was just a firmware update per the website. Firmware Update Ver.2.52. Anyone do it? I wonder what Stability Improvements was.
post #104 of 128 Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Looks like mostly for support a few new services. I updated it and didn't notice anything change other than the fact that all my settings are reset and have to set up the soundbar again.
post #105 of 128 Old 08-29-2017, 10:31 PM

Liked: 10
i have an issue accessing the setup menu.

i have 3 hdmi connections in my tv
hdmi 1 connected to my PC
hdmi 2 which is ARC, connected to the hdmi arc in soundbar
hdmi 3 connected to a tv box

the soundbar acts as the primary external sound output for my two devices.
switching either hdmi or tv on Hdmi 2 does not enable the setup menu to appear as the tv shows there is no signal input

strangely, hdmi cec works. its not a cable issue as all cables are monoprice ones and 4k capable

this is not a big issue as the home setup works as it should but i wont be able to carry out any firmware updates.any ideas how to get the menu out?
post #106 of 128 Old 08-30-2017, 03:45 AM

Turn TV to the ARC port. Press setup button on the soundbar remote. It should display the setup menu.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
post #107 of 128 Old 08-30-2017, 04:42 AM

doesnt work, i switched both tv and hdmi input on the soundbar remote. problem.is the tv does not detect any signal input from the soundbar yet hdmi cec works perfect
post #108 of 128 Old 08-30-2017, 06:06 AM

It won't show anything until you hit the SETUP button on the remote. There is no need to switch soundbar inputs. Only the TV input matters. Switching soundbar input could make it worse. The setup screen is an ancient 480p black and white screen.
post #109 of 128 Old 08-31-2017, 07:17 PM

i get what u mean and i have done this before. just that for this instance, nothing that you have suggested works
post #110 of 128 Old 11-02-2017, 05:13 AM

Hi,
i've bought a YSP1600.

Before i had a Philips HTL5145 with a wireless subwoofer and the sound was very very good.

I've trade it for this yamaha and its a mix bag...

The sound its clear and awsome, but it lack's punch.. it lacks a subwoofer.
I tend to miss it more on music, because with movies it much much better than the Philips.
But with music i miss the subwoofer a lot.

Could you please help me with this questions:

- Whats the type of connector for subwoofer that the soundbar has?
- The subwoofer has to be self amplified right?
- I think i want to keep it in the same brand so what subwoofer from yamaha do you advise? ( i don't have a lot of budget .. 200€ at most)

Thanks for your help.
post #111 of 128 Old 11-02-2017, 07:33 AM

It has a standard RCA subwoofer connector. You need an conventional powered subwoofer and a RCA cable to connect the two (any cable with RCA leads on both end will do. No need to spend $$$ for a fancy sub cable). You don't have to use the same brand. Important features of a good subwoofer are (1) woofer size. The bigger the better. I use a spare 8" sub right now. I may switch to a 12" later on. (2) sub's power amp rating. The higher the better. I'd say something around 300 to 400 watts. That's why subs need its own power amp because it consumes much more power than the rest of the system added together.

The biggest advantage of this soundbar is the option to use an external standard subwoofer. The built-in ones are two small. Only good to fill up the gap in the mid range.
post #112 of 128 Old 11-03-2017, 02:26 AM

Thanks for the help..

And what about the frequencies of the sub.. they are also importante right?

I'm from Portugal, and normally i buy things from Amazon.de .es .fr .it.
I'll try to find one there.

Thank you
post #113 of 128 Old 11-03-2017, 05:28 AM

Not that important (it is important to go low for better bass but that's just your personal preference). The sub output already set its cross over frequency. The build-in sub on the soundbar takes care of the mid range. A sub needs to move a huge volume of air when play loud. So the size of woofer, and the sustained power output of the AMP matter a lot. Everything else is secondary, IMO. A good sub easily costs over $1k.
post #114 of 128 Old 01-09-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Not that important (it is important to go low for better bass but that's just your personal preference). The sub output already set its cross over frequency. The build-in sub on the soundbar takes care of the mid range. A sub needs to move a huge volume of air when play loud. So the size of woofer, and the sustained power output of the AMP matter a lot. Everything else is secondary, IMO. A good sub easily costs over $1k.
I got mine Yamaha Ysp-1600 yesterday.

I did the firmware upgrade by USB to 3.1 version.

I have the Soundbar hooked-up to my TV SONY 55X8505C by HDMI ARC and all the other acessories by HDMI directly to the TV but i doesn´t give sound from the soundbar in this way. I had to plug the HDMI from cable box to the HDMI IN in the soundbar an the sound came from the soundbar.

Should be necessary just to have 1 HDMI CABLE from the TV ARC to the Sound bar ARC to give sound correct? can you guys help me why with 1 HDMI CABLE from both TV and Soundbar ARC there´s no sound coming from the Soundbar when i switch the HDMI on the TV REMOTE?

Waiting for your help?

Many Thanks

Rui Fernandes
post #115 of 128 Old 01-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Yamaha ysp-1600

I got mine Yamaha Ysp-1600 yesterday.

I did the firmware upgrade by USB to 3.1 version.

I have the Soundbar hooked-up to my TV SONY 55X8505C by HDMI ARC and all the other acessories by HDMI directly to the TV but i doesn´t give sound from the soundbar in this way. I had to plug the HDMI from cable box to the HDMI IN in the soundbar an the sound came from the soundbar.

Should be necessary just to have 1 HDMI CABLE from the TV ARC to the Sound bar ARC to give sound correct? can you guys help me why with 1 HDMI CABLE from both TV and Soundbar ARC there´s no sound coming from the Soundbar when i switch the HDMI on the TV REMOTE?

Waiting for your help.

Many Thanks

Rui Fernandes
post #116 of 128 Old 01-10-2018, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by João Borges View Post
Thanks for the help..

And what about the frequencies of the sub.. they are also importante right?

I'm from Portugal, and normally i buy things from Amazon.de .es .fr .it.

I'll try to find one there.

Thank you

Realistically, it isn’t going to take a whole lot to top the sub you had on that Philips soundbar. Something like the BIC PL200ii will knock your socks off for about $250. It’s on Amazon.com. Not sure if it’d be available from one of the other countries’ sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #117 of 128 Old 01-10-2018, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Make sure BraviaSync on the Sony is on, On the Yamaha make sure HDMI control is ON. HDMI CEC/Control on the cable box needs to be on as well. I'm not sure what your cable box calls it or where it is. If these are all set you should be able to use the ARC connection.
post #118 of 128 Old 01-11-2018, 04:03 AM

I don't think CEC on the cable box matters for ARC. Only the TV and sound bar ARC and CEC needs to enabled. Typically, both are disabled by default.
post #119 of 128 Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I don't think CEC on the cable box matters for ARC. Only the TV and sound bar ARC and CEC needs to enabled. Typically, both are disabled by default.
CEC has to be on if you want other features to work. On most devices I find it is already on with Yamaha being one of the exceptions.
post #120 of 128 Old 01-11-2018, 04:38 PM

Yes, but no need for source devices. Only the TV and sound bar need to be on and enabled. In my setup, I have a Sony BD player, a WMC Extender all connected to my TV then connected ARC to YSP-1600. The WMC Extender is too old to even have CEC support. Everything works great. Never had any problem with soundbar via ARC. I did notice that after a firmware update, the YSP-1600 will reset its ARC setting to off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
yamaha ysp-1600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page