Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 128 Old 10-31-2015, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yamaha YSP-1600

My unit arrived yesterday and I got it temporarily setup.

I have been in the market for a new soundbar for my living room area. I live in a condo and the living room is rather small. I had previously narrowed my choices down to the following.

1) Sonos Soundbar
2) Yamaha YSP-1600
3) Bose Solo 15

My want list of features:

1) Use as surround sound for TV
2) Internet radio
3) Music streaming ability
4) The ability to add more speakers later if wanted
5) The ability to connect Bluetooth headphones

I was attracted to the Yamaha for a few reasons. Yamaha has a stellar reputation of quality products and great sound. Sonos and Bose do as well but in my opinion those options are overpriced for what they offer. The Yamaha YSP-1600 appeared to meet all the items from my want list so I purchased it from Amazon.

I won't do a pro and con list right now as I've only just received the unit and have not had the time to explore it fully. There are a lot of options and things it can do. For now I have it connected via an optical cable to the TV.

The only bummer is the unit only has one HDMI In. I do have an HDMI switch that I was planning on using but I can't find it at the moment. I may need to go buy another.

I have a Harmony Elite remote and it controls the YSP-1600 just fine. I do need to play with the sound fields and adjust the room settings later when I get the chance.

I briefly played around with the DSP settings last night and when you get the correct one set, for the right activity, the unit sounds great! Selecting the wrong DSP results in terrible sound. An example is using TV sound for music. It sounded terrible but as soon as I changed to the Music DSP, it sounded great!

I'll update this as I go along. I might dig for my HDMI switch today and if I can't find it, just buy another.
reemas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 Old 10-31-2015, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

I found my HDMI switch and have everything setup, configured and rocking'. I have a Tivo, a Roku and an Xbox One connected.

I am very happy with the sound produced from the unit. The surround is simulated and it's dependent on the size and dimensions of the room. My room is fairly small and is almost a perfect box. I adjusted the settings to match my room size and position and the unit does a fairly good job of bouncing sound off the walls to simulate surround.

Clear voice is pretty awesome and it works quite well for TV show viewing. The bass is just about right for my small room. I can't really wall and floor rumble it as I live in a condo and don't want to upset the neighbors. I've also never been a fan of the deep wall rattling bass anyway so it works for me. Bass levels, as is just about everything else, is adjustable.

I opted to connect via WiFi and it was a very easy process. I also have the unit connected via Bluetooth and I have a set of Bluetooth headphones paired to the unit. Everything was easy to setup and I've not experienced any glitches as yet. I setup my Pandora account and added 2 internet radio stations. Since I am using a Harmony Elite I can't really comment on the included remote. It looks like it will accomplish the task, but it went straight from the box and into the remote control drawer with the rest.

My TV does not do ARC so I ended up connecting all my devices to the HDMI switch then ran the switch into the Yamaha. From there, an HDMI out to the TV. I also ran an optical cable between the TV and Yamaha.

I watched a recorded show from my Tivo and listened to about an hour of Pandora and internet radio. I also watched about 30 minutes of a movie on Netflix just to hear how the unit would sound. In all these instance, sound was above my expectations.

Overall I am very pleased with this purchase. The unit sounds great in every area I have tested it thus far. While surround sound is not optimal (it is a sound bar after all) it's pretty darn good if your room can make it so.

I still have a lot to explore as the unit is loaded with options and feature.

If you are in the market for a soundbar, give this one a serious look..
reemas likes this.

Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

Last edited by raqball; 10-31-2015 at 08:51 PM.
post #3 of 128 Old 11-02-2015, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

My unit has developed an issue. Sound crackles and pops from the left center side of the box. Also when changing sound fields, I now hear very little, if any difference at all between the different DSP settings. I've never had the volume very loud so I am not sure what happened. It started yesterday afternoon and continues this morning.

I have started a return with Amazon and will decide later if I want to purchase another or something else.

Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 Old 11-03-2015, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Update:

My unit has developed an issue.
Keep us updated please. I'm looking at this device and it sounded great until your last post. How effective was the simulated "true" surround?
post #5 of 128 Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

It did pretty well as far as the simulated surround goes. You have to tweak it via the Yamaha app and set it up for your room size and position.

I think I just got a faulty unit so don't let that stop you.

Overall, during my limited time with it, I was pretty impressed!

I had Amazon process it as a replacement and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow..

Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase

Last edited by raqball; 11-04-2015 at 10:07 AM.
post #6 of 128 Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

My replacement YSP-1600 arrived today and right out of the box it was doing the same..

I figured this was impossible (2 bad units) so I swapped out my cables one by one until I found the culprit. That old HDMI switch I was using was the issue. I tested this by connecting the HDMI cables one by one using HDMI in and out on the YSP-1600 and I tested by using the optical only cable. I went to Best Buy and picked up another HDMI switch and all is fine now.

I did have a chat with Amazon and advise them that the one on it's way back to them was more than likely NOT faulty..

The 1st unit was more than likely not faulty at all and was just a bonehead reaction on my part. I should have tested everything before assuming the unit was bad. I'll keep an ear on the sound but I am confident the issue was the HDMI switch that I was using..

Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase
post #7 of 128 Old 11-15-2015, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

There does not appear to be much interest in this bar so I'll update this then let the thread die.

It's been 10-days since my replacement arrived and the soundbar has performed above my initial expectations. The sound easily fills my small living room area and the simulated surround works quite well. I did need to tweak my room settings until I finally found the right combo of room size, configuration and distance from the wall but once it's dialed in for the room size and configuration, it does quite well bouncing off the walls..

Clear Voice works well and bass is about what you'd expect from a soundbar without a stand alone sub. The bar does have an option to add a sub if interested but I am happy using it as is. Without adding a sub you obviously won't get wall shaking bass but I find the bass to be more than acceptable.

Music sounds great on the soundbar. I am connected via WiFi and have 2 Pandora stations and an internet radio station preset. I also connect via bluetooth and can play music from my iPhone and Macbook. In addition I have a set of Bluetooth headphones connected and they work well for all of the sounders functions. Watching TV and listening to music works well with the headphones connected.

Overall I am very happy with the Yamaha YSP-1600. For $499 it's a great system that offers a ton of features and options. It sounds great for TV viewing, watching movies and listening to music. It does a good job of bouncing sound off walls to create surround sound and Clear Voice works very well.

Give this unit serious consideration if you are in the market for a soundbar with these features..

Roku Ultra
LG OLED55C7P
Sonos Playbase
post #8 of 128 Old 11-23-2015, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just found this thread after looking into soundbar options but:

Just some brief info: I've just bought a new TV for my bedroom and currently my sound setup consists of a set of old Logitech Z5500's I bought many years ago. It's a nice set of speakers, but my room is a bit cluttered and I have the speakers on speaker stands in the corners of my bedroom. They don't extend that high so one or two speakers are actually obstructed by objects and overall, the speakers aren't optimally placed to create a surround sound effect.

I also normally sit at an angle to my TV and 99% of the time when I'm watching TV, I'm never sitting such that I'm looking at the TV straight on. Most of the time in my bedroom I'm sitting at my computer desk which is positioned right next to my TV.

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive solution to my sound setup as I would like to reclaim some space in my room, so I think the ultimate solution is to go with a sound bar. Before I buy it, I'm curious about a couple things:

1. I'll mount the TV to my wall and place the sound bar under it, but given that I won't sit facing the TV/sound bar head on, would that make my sound quality worse than my current speaker setup? The bar will sit on my entertainment center/TV stand, which is only roughly ~2 feet off the ground at best.

2. How is the "surround" sound experience if you aren't facing the device head on?

3. In terms of the subwoofer, is it pretty powerful?
post #9 of 128 Old 11-24-2015, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm a fan of the yamaha sound bar.... I'm need to figure out if this one will produce true 5.0 surround with the use of rear wireless speakers? I have a need to not use virtual but really like the look and quality of Yamaha. I realize with its Music Cast it should be able to send a signal playing sound of a watched event to a set of additional speakers . The specific question is can they be set up to be used for surround?
post #10 of 128 Old 11-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I have this sound bar and like it a lot. I connected a klipsch 12" powered subwoofer to it. Now it sounds even better. Does anyone know how to use the Yamaha "HT CONTROLLER" app with the musiccast?

Like stated above. Only downside is the one HDMI input. But it connects nice with my Yamaha 3050 home theater system and the Yamaha WX-030 speaker.

Sony 940C*Sony HX909*Samsung K8500*Yamaha 3050*klipsch front RP-280's*rear RF-3's*center RP-450C*Sides RP-280's*front heights RP-140's*overhead 5650cii's*SVS-PB2000x4*emotiva XPA-5*Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar*Sony HT-CT370 sound bar
post #11 of 128 Old 11-27-2015, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeladvanced View Post
I'm a fan of the yamaha sound bar.... I'm need to figure out if this one will produce true 5.0 surround with the use of rear wireless speakers? I have a need to not use virtual but really like the look and quality of Yamaha. I realize with its Music Cast it should be able to send a signal playing sound of a watched event to a set of additional speakers . The specific question is can they be set up to be used for surround?

In a nutshell, it isn't designed to work with wireless rear speakers... sure, it can send audio to another wireless MusicCast speaker like a WX030, but the WX030 will be receiving a stereo soundtrack (the audio that is designate to be played from in-front of the listener).
Now... if Yamaha ever updates their soundbar to use the WX030 as 'wireless rears', that would be cool. But at this stage, keep looking.
post #12 of 128 Old 12-05-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I am potentially interested in the YSP-1600. Which Subwoofers are people pairing with these?
HerbieHightower likes this.
post #13 of 128 Old 12-07-2015, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This looks like just the ticket. The form factor at 40" wide and only 2.4" tall is great when a typical TV stand is only 2" these days. Add a small sub and you're good to go. The YAS-203 has received good press but it does not use the same technology.

Not sure what others use to partner with it I'd look at small Yamaha subs or the Pioneer SW8-Mk2.
post #14 of 128 Old 12-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Subwoofer aside -- how does this little yamaha compare to either a Sony HTS9 or the Martin Logan Vision (on sale for $799?)

It will be in a medium sized basement media room 18x20 -- for TV and Movies 95% of the time. Currently I have a JBL SB400 kit from Best buy that I like as it has HDMI built in and three too boot. But the sound seems a bit thin. And I'd rather spend a few $$$ more if it means better sound...

thanks
post #15 of 128 Old 12-15-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
I would rank the Martin Logan 1st, The Yamaha a tistant second and the Sony last.
post #16 of 128 Old 01-06-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I would rank the Martin Logan 1st, The Yamaha a tistant second and the Sony last.
I am not familiar with the Martin Logan product except for a quick search. It doesn't appear to have hdmi and is far more expensive than the Yamaha ysp-1600. I guess sales can change that. I recently bought the Yamaha 1600 to replace a Bose Cinemate original ( 2speakers and a subwoofer) which did not even have optical but we still like it a lot. The Yamaha ysp-1600 is really very nice. Much better than I would have expected. I bought the Yamaha YST-SW012 subwoofer to go with the soundbar. It just arrived so I have yet to set it up. Not quite as plug and play as a Cinemate system in terms of the subwoofer.

I really like the hdmi capabilities of the 1600. My TV supports arc so that helps but I still require a switchbox as the TV will only pass 2.1 sound to other hdmi or optical out ports from the TV. I wish the 1600 had more hdmi in ports but the Yamaha model that has them was three times the price.

Not a big fan of Ethernet, Bluetooth, etc... for a TV sound system but it seems to be the current trend. The subwoofer can't be wireless which is a shame but to get that and more hdmi ports puts you into a different price category.
post #17 of 128 Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have heard all three and my ranking is based on sound quality and not features. To make a product for a given price point trade offs have to be made and also how well it will sell. The trend lately is to make things smaller to make them less obtrusive. Smaller units tend to sell better. Unfortunately, that goes against the laws of physics on how speakers work for getting better sound.
post #18 of 128 Old 01-06-2016, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have heard all three and my ranking is based on sound quality and not features. To make a product for a given price point trade offs have to be made and also how well it will sell. The trend lately is to make things smaller to make them less obtrusive. Smaller units tend to sell better. Unfortunately, that goes against the laws of physics on how speakers work for getting better sound.
Good point. It's nice to see a ranking based on sound quality. I have only my first gen Bose Cinemate to compare it to in the room where we watch TV. The Yamaha does take a bit of setting up, to take into account the geometry of the room. The results are really impressive to me, though I still like something about the Bose sound. Perhaps the subwoofer will add the elusive ingredient.
post #19 of 128 Old 01-07-2016, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post
Good point. It's nice to see a ranking based on sound quality. I have only my first gen Bose Cinemate to compare it to in the room where we watch TV. The Yamaha does take a bit of setting up, to take into account the geometry of the room. The results are really impressive to me, though I still like something about the Bose sound. Perhaps the subwoofer will add the elusive ingredient.
The sub makes a huge difference. I hooked up my old klipsch 12" sub and its night and day different.

Sony 940C*Sony HX909*Samsung K8500*Yamaha 3050*klipsch front RP-280's*rear RF-3's*center RP-450C*Sides RP-280's*front heights RP-140's*overhead 5650cii's*SVS-PB2000x4*emotiva XPA-5*Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar*Sony HT-CT370 sound bar
post #20 of 128 Old 01-07-2016, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A sub with any of them is definitely recommended. While many sound bars claim they don't need a sub and can play some bass. The reality is the smaller speakers in these sound bars will not play the lower octaves and even the bass they can play will not play as loud and have a LOT less impact than a subwoofer. All because a manufacturer lists that its product will go to a given frequency does not mean it will do it well. A Jeep will go 100 mph but I wouldn't want to try it on winding mountain road at that speed. If something says it can go to 40hz with 3" drivers it will have some significant limitations.
post #21 of 128 Old 01-07-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
The sub makes a huge difference. I hooked up my old klipsch 12" sub and its night and day different.
Does hooking up a sub disable the built in subwoofer? My Yamaha yst-sw012 sub just got here so I am about to test it all. This sub is only an 8" active sub but it is small and stays within the constraints of fewer wires, small and simple. Unfortunately it doesn't turn off via a remote or when the 1600 is shut down. Then again I left my CineMate series I on all the time and it used very little power. For watching movies I have to say that my original CineMate is pretty darned good. The two Bose speakers sound very good and they work well with the subwoofer. Not sure if I should just stay with what works well for us. The only other option is a 5.1 Bose bundle with Yamaha amp which has the advantage of 4 HDMI in ports but the disadvantage of wires all over their place. Hard to decide:

CineMate original (free), 1600+sub - $, Bose 5.1 + Yamaha amp - $+$300 and wires and having to probably but small stands for the two rear speakers. What a mess (:
post #22 of 128 Old 01-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post
Does hooking up a sub disable the built in subwoofer? My Yamaha yst-sw012 sub just got here so I am about to test it all. This sub is only an 8" active sub but it is small and stays within the constraints of fewer wires, small and simple. Unfortunately it doesn't turn off via a remote or when the 1600 is shut down. Then again I left my CineMate series I on all the time and it used very little power. For watching movies I have to say that my original CineMate is pretty darned good. The two Bose speakers sound very good and they work well with the subwoofer. Not sure if I should just stay with what works well for us. The only other option is a 5.1 Bose bundle with Yamaha amp which has the advantage of 4 HDMI in ports but the disadvantage of wires all over their place. Hard to decide:

CineMate original (free), 1600+sub - $, Bose 5.1 + Yamaha amp - $+$300 and wires and having to probably but small stands for the two rear speakers. What a mess (:
The rca output is always hot when the unit is on. So a signal is always sent through. The 1600 will not know if you connected a sub, so it will work as it normally would.

My klipsch as an auto on/off so it shuts off by itself without a signal after a few minutes.

post #23 of 128 Old 01-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well where were these 2 years ago when I was looking low profile soundbar with a sub output lol.. I ended up getting the Samsung HW-F750 which is ok(much better then the F8500's speakers) but hated that I have a MUCH better sub(Rocket UFW-10 Rosewood) in the same room used for my NAD/Paradigm Studios stereo setup, now I finally have the option of connecting a better soundbar to my much better sub!! Plus my sub as multiple inputs so I can have both the NAD Receiver and Yamaha SB connected..
Questions if I may;
1; my present soundbar connects to my Samsung TV thru SoundShare's AirTrack meaning it turns itself on and off with the TV, will the YSP-1600 turn itself on/off with signal detection or does it have to be done manually??
2; The built in subs do not auto disable if a jack is plugged into sub output, I know this was asked but find it strange it wouldn't detect it and shut them down, not a big deal but curious?

Last edited by Pinger; 01-13-2016 at 01:54 PM.
post #24 of 128 Old 01-13-2016, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mine turns on and off with the TV but always defaults to the TV (optical) input and I have to manually change it to the HDMI ARC to get TV sound. Very frustrating.
post #25 of 128 Old 01-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieHightower View Post
Mine turns on and off with the TV but always defaults to the TV (optical) input and I have to manually change it to the HDMI ARC to get TV sound. Very frustrating.
Hmm that is strange, optical input triggers the YSP-1600 on?? if you do use the optical then you do get sound when they both turn on??
post #26 of 128 Old 01-13-2016, 03:01 PM

I have a Roku connected via HDMI to the TV also and unless I connect the optical from the TV to sound-bar I get no audio playing the Roku. So... TV audio will output via HDMI ARC and Roku audio via optical. I'd love for both to use the HDMI ARC to the sound-bar but no luck. TV speaker settings are set for ARC.
post #27 of 128 Old 01-13-2016, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Are there drawbacks to just using optical for anything that plays on the TV(HD Cable, Smart TC Apps, BluRay?? Sound quality wise?
post #28 of 128 Old 01-13-2016, 03:29 PM

Thumbs up

The only drawback I've found is that when I set the TV output for optical the HDMI ARC doesn't work and I have to turn on the TV and sound-bar separately. Sound wise there seems to be no difference. Also without ARC or CEC there is no on screen data when adjusting the sound-bar.
Seems like it should just be straight forward. HDMI ARC from TV to sound-bar and other inputs connected to the TV and through HDMI ARC to sound-bar but not for me... LOL When I do things it is never simple. Half dozen devices connected to my Denon? Everything works like a charm but sound-bar? lol I'm an idjit
post #29 of 128 Old 01-13-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

arc vs. optical is the same, neither can play the lossless formats.
post #30 of 128 Old 01-13-2016, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieHightower View Post
Also without ARC or CEC there is no on screen data when adjusting the sound-bar.
Seems like it should just be straight forward. HDMI ARC from TV to sound-bar and other inputs connected to the TV and through HDMI ARC to sound-bar but not for me... LOL When I do things it is never simple. Half dozen devices connected to my Denon? Everything works like a charm but sound-bar? lol I'm an idjit
What TV do you have?? There's no other way to setup the sound bar without using hdmi-arc??
I'm sure the high end is good with the YSP 1600 but how are the mids??
Quote:
arc vs. optical is the same, neither can play the lossless formats.
That's nice to know, I was worried quality would lost if I went straight optical..

Last edited by Pinger; 01-13-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
yamaha ysp-1600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page