• 1 Post By taichi4

post #1 of 27 Old 12-04-2015, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you had $300-500 ...

And needed a soundbar, what would you go with? The wife is only open to the idea of a small sub.

I've attached a sketch of my living room to give you an idea of things:
  • 9' ceilings
  • TV (Samsung 65JS8500) and soundbar will be located on the fireplace mantle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	living room.png
Views:	203
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1097490  

Last edited by RYANtheTIGER; 12-13-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-06-2015, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Has anyone compared the Yamaha 1600 and the Sonos Playbar?
post #3 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
I haven't had them side by side but I like the PlayBar better for sound quality, the Yamaha might be better for surround in the right room. But the Yamaha is a couple hundred cheaper and it would considerably less expensive if you added a sub which I recommend with either of these if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'd love to get a soundbar and separate sub. Trust me, it'd make things so much easier. More choices and possibly pay less.

Unfortunately, it's part of the compromise with the wife. And all I have is $300-500. Luckily, this listening audience isn't exactly what I'd call a group of audiophiles. So I'm open to suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is the reason for no sub the cost or wife? I ask because I'd rather go with something like the Yamaha YAS-105 with an inexpensive sub then either of the other two without one. If the sub is not a possibility I would get the Playbar if you can get it for under $500.
post #6 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Is the reason for no sub the cost or wife? I ask because I'd rather go with something like the Yamaha YAS-105 with an inexpensive sub then either of the other two without one. If the sub is not a possibility I would get the Playbar if you can get it for under $500.
For a few years, I had the Klipsch RW-12D. My wife hated the sight of it. So in preparation for the move, I sold it and used the money towards a new TV (Samsung 65JS8500). The bookshelves and center are on the market.

I still want more sound that what the TV provides so she'll compromise on a soundbar. The "no sub" policy is her's and the budget is mine.

Where could I find a Playbar for under $500??
post #7 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Only used.

The Sonos is very good for what it is, and though it will go deep in the bass, its output there is not very loud.

The design feature I appreciate about the Sonos is the use of angled drivers at either end, which broadens the soundstage. I'm always curious why few other manufacturers, if any, employ the same design.
KJSteward likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Only used.

The Sonos is very good for what it is, and though it will go deep in the bass, its output there is not very loud.

The design feature I appreciate about the Sonos is the use of angled drivers at either end, which broadens the soundstage. I'm always curious why few other manufacturers, if any, employ the same design.
This just reminded me of the Philips Fidelio. It has removeable pieces at each end for moving the speakers around, no sub (as far as I can remember) and fits the budget. Never heard one outside BB so can't comment on the sound.

Spoiler!
post #9 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I think the Fidelio you mentioned is the 9100, the predecessor to the new B5. In these designs the end pieces detach to form rear speakers for 4.1 surround.

These two do use subs, though.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sonos did the angled drivers so you could use it placed horizontally or vertically. Drivers that aim to the side and not up would be better but their design does have versatility for placement. I had said the Playbar because you specifically asked about it against the 1600, I figured you had a way to get it within your price range. Personally, I like the sound of the YAS-105 better than the 1600 but they are close. The 1600 does do better at surround sound..
post #11 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Only used.

I love the sound of this (no pun intended). With our room being wide, long, and high the angled drivers would come in handy. The problem is the budget. That's why it appears that the Yamaha 1600 may be my only option.

Just out of curiosity, how close by does the sub have to be? Does it have to be directly in front of the viewing audience? Or can it be 10' or so to the side?
post #12 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a Playbar for $559 but waiting for it to arrive. My father in-law has one and I was amazed at the quality for a soundbar.
post #13 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post
I love the sound of this (no pun intended). With our room being wide, long, and high the angled drivers would come in handy. The problem is the budget. That's why it appears that the Yamaha 1600 may be my only option.

Just out of curiosity, how close by does the sub have to be? Does it have to be directly in front of the viewing audience? Or can it be 10' or so to the side?

Sorry Ryan, I wasn't able to PM you since I don't have enough post yet.

I got the playbar on Verizon Wireless purchase site. Cost me 10,000 points and $559

The points add up very quickly based on paying your bill on time. I think I got over 200,000 just in the past year.
post #14 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangordon View Post
Sorry Ryan, I wasn't able to PM you since I don't have enough post yet.

I got the playbar on Verizon Wireless purchase site. Cost me 10,000 points and $559

The points add up very quickly based on paying your bill on time. I think I got over 200,000 just in the past year.

Gotcha. Thanks ...

post #15 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
For a few years, I had the Klipsch RW-12D. My wife hated the sight of it. So in preparation for the move, I sold it and used the money towards a new TV (Samsung 65JS8500). The bookshelves and center are on the market.

I still want more sound that what the TV provides so she'll compromise on a soundbar. The "no sub" policy is her's and the budget is mine.

Where could I find a Playbar for under $500??

This might still be out of the question for you but have you seen the Yamaha YST-FSW050, msrp $199. It looks more like an amp with a big port in the front, under 7" tall. Obviously you have no cabinet to stack it with other audio components but possibly under a side table or partially hidden elsewhere. Make it wireless with a Rocketfish wireless sub kit fot $59 @ BB. Pair it with the YAS-105 and you'll probably get a lot more range than the YAS-1600 alone.
I really liked the sound and was close to getting on for my last house, the wife was OK with the front channel towers & center & the near ceiling mounted surrounds but hated the big black square box in the corner. Then we decided to move so I didn't buy and in the new house she wants simplicity. And that's why I'm in this forum looking at soundbars.
I'm probably going with the Vizio SB4051-C0 since she will allow the rears & a small sub but no front towers. If that isn't enough to fill the room I will return it & be awaiting Polk (announced) or any other mid-range players' soundbar with wireless sub & wireless rear surrounds in early 2016.

BTW I also am pairing with a just purchased Samsung UN65JS8500, just arrived over the weekend and I'm just starting to play with the setup but so far it looks AMAZING.
post #16 of 27 Old 12-07-2015, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Another option is a used YSP-1100 or YSP-4100, the older YSP-1100( sub 500, shave seen them sub $300) is a good buy on ebay usually, and it gives you options to add a sub, wired , and or wireless with a wireless subwoofer kit in the future. Ps I am pro YSP, in the right room
post #17 of 27 Old 12-10-2015, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked: 2899
How about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audi...idge+audio+sub

Before you reject it, note that the "sub" (more of a mid-bass generator) is < 9" square. It will easily sit on a shelf or hide behind the couch or chair, or plant, or whatever. In any case, it would give you a reasonable amount of bass, more that you would get from a subless soundbar.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-10-2015, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think a small sub is a great choice for many of these sound bars that need a little help in the bass department. Not everyone needs to shake the house but having a fuller sound than what the sound bars provide without too much of a foot print is definitely welcome
post #19 of 27 Old 12-10-2015, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
And needed a soundbar, what would you go with? The wife will NOT let me purchase a separate sub.

I've attached a sketch of my living room to give you an idea of things:
  • 9' ceilings
  • TV (Samsung 65JS8500) and soundbar will be located on the fireplace mantle
I recently bought a Bose Solo 15 Series II for $399 + tax. It's basically a box big enough for your TV to sit on that puts out amazing sound. I often find myself thinking "how the heck is this little box creating all this sound?" I went behind it when it was on to clean up a bit behind my setup and the dual subwoofer exhausts were just blowing like fans. I don't know if it's the best quality, I can't afford the best quality. That crap is expensive. Nothing I have ever owned gave me the feeling of immersion like this box. I've owned a few different 5.1 systems, and this has at least as much stereo separation as those. It's truly a wonderful experience.
post #20 of 27 Old 12-10-2015, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
How about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audi...idge+audio+sub

Before you reject it, note that the "sub" (more of a mid-bass generator) is < 9" square. It will easily sit on a shelf or hide behind the couch or chair, or plant, or whatever. In any case, it would give you a reasonable amount of bass, more that you would get from a subless soundbar.

Not a bad recommendation. Perhaps something to consider down the road after I save more money following a soundbar purchase.

post #21 of 27 Old 12-10-2015, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrem View Post
I recently bought a Bose Solo 15 Series II for $399 + tax. It's basically a box big enough for your TV to sit on that puts out amazing sound. I often find myself thinking "how the heck is this little box creating all this sound?" I went behind it when it was on to clean up a bit behind my setup and the dual subwoofer exhausts were just blowing like fans. I don't know if it's the best quality, I can't afford the best quality. That crap is expensive. Nothing I have ever owned gave me the feeling of immersion like this box. I've owned a few different 5.1 systems, and this has at least as much stereo separation as those. It's truly a wonderful experience.

Didn't expect a Bose recommendation. I'll have to give it a look.

post #22 of 27 Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just received some good news ... My wife is now open to the idea of a sub. It has to be a small sub. But hey, beggars can't be choosers. I imagine this opens up things quite a bit more now!

For example, we went to BB tonight and she approved the Samsung 450, 550 & 650 (I think the 650).
post #23 of 27 Old 12-13-2015, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The reality about the physics of speakers is small speakers can only do so much. Speakers move air and to play lower frequencies you need move more air. Now, I am not talking about low bass that the subwoofer handles but bass like a man's voice, lower notes on instruments,etc. The small sound bars like the Samsung won't be able to play those frequencies well. Normally, with small speakers and sound bars I recommend to narrow your search with speakers or sound bars that have 4" drivers or larger and also have tweeters. Full range drivers do not cover the whole frequency range well. So skip the bars that don't have tweeters like the Samsung.

In your price range it is tough to find sound bars with 4" drivers. The Yamaha 105 mentioned has 3" drivers they call dual subs (laugh, choke). The 3"drivers in the Yamaha move than twice as much air as the 2" drivers in the Samsung bars. This will give a richer, fuller, more realistic sound. Another sound bar I would recommend in this price range is the Pioneer SP-SB23W, it uses 3" drivers and a tweeter plus it come with a sub for $400 but can be found for even less. The Harman Kardon SB26 also meets those specs but I haven't used it.
post #24 of 27 Old 12-13-2015, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 67
FYI at Costco, there is a Sony HT-RT5 on sale for $500. It's 450watts, 4K compliant, and has 2 wireless rear speakers that you can or choose not to use (plus a wireless subwoofer). So 5.1 surround sound without the clutter!

I heard that some people didn't like the volume settings - ie - you have to turn it up to max to hear anything, but there was an update from Sony a couple days ago that was supposed to fix this (it's in their notes section). I am waiting for someone to confirm that the problem is fixed.
post #25 of 27 Old 12-14-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked: 2899
Quote:
Not a bad recommendation. Perhaps something to consider down the road after I save more money following a soundbar purchase.

The point was, these three speakers would replace the need for a soundbar completely, with better sound, more placement options, and would work with a conventional receiver.
post #26 of 27 Old 12-14-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
"The wife is only open to the idea of a small sub..."

"I'm probably going with the Vizio SB4051-C0 since she will allow the rears & a small sub but no front towers..."

"I still want more sound that what the TV provides so she'll compromise on a soundbar. The "no sub" policy is her's and the budget is mine..."

"Wife Allows"..."Wife Approved"

RyantheTiger I'm not specifically picking on you, but I see this quite a bit in many of the forums and often wonder why there is so much of this!

I've been married for 27 years and I don't think I've ever had to get "Approval" for anything I purchase and she would never ask me for approval. Mutual respect and careful thought-out choices on purchases! I do always talk about things that I'm thinking of buying, but we just have never been like that.

What the hell have you guys done in the past to cause this?!!!

I'm gonna haul ass home and hug my wife! Sorry for the thread HiJack!
post #27 of 27 Old 12-15-2015, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The opening paragraph from today's Denon HEOS article says it all:

"Soundbars embody a compromise between price, performance, aesthetics, and convenience that many consumers are willing to make. For someone who is used to listening to a TV's speakers, a soundbar is a serious sonic upgrade."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page