Which Sound Base for bedroom? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ShamrockLex
  • 1 Post By zone555
  • 1 Post By Rjloper9

post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2016, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Which Sound Base for bedroom?

I've been looking at both the Sony HTXT1 and Bose Solo 15 Series II for our bedroom to sit below a 42" TV. We occasionally watch movies in there so I thought having a nice sound base would enhance that experience. I've narrowed it down to these 2 because I know that they will both sound good and the aesthetics of both look nice. I am open to other suggestions though. I know that Pioneer makes a very good sound base, but it looks awful.

The Sony is cheaper and has more features but which one sounds better? I have heard the Bose Solo 15 Series I before at Best Buy when I worked there a few years ago and thought it was impressive for what it was. I would guess that the Series II sounds exactly the same. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-26-2016, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Have you checked out the Zvox units? The 670 & 770.
skatingrocker17 likes this.

Sonos Playbar Install and Metal Feature Wall - Master Bedroom

Family Room - Sony XBR 75X910C - BDI OLA - Denon AVR X6200 - Onkyo M-5010 - Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray - Ascend 340 LCR - ELAC A4 Atmos - Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73 Atmos - Polk Blackstone TL3 - Dual SVS NSD12 - XBOX One - Archetype 5.0 - Panamax 5400
Bedroom - LG 65EF9500 OLED - SONOS Playbar-Sub-Play 1s - Panasonic Blu-ray
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockLex View Post
Have you checked out the Zvox units? The 670 & 770.
I think that the 670 would be too wide, I would have to measure. The TV sits on top of a tall dresser although I think the looks of the Zvox are pretty dull, but it's not that bad. I have seen that they are releasing new models this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like the Zvox 670 will fit. Any thoughts on the Yamaha SRT-1000?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently purchased the Sony XT1 for my bedroom at a Boxing Day sale, so I can give you some feedback on this unit. I did a lot of research on soundbases before deciding on the XT1, but for me the main benefit was the 3 HDMI inputs. In most cases if you were to use your TV as the device switcher, you would have to use optical to connect the soundbase to the TV, or use HDMI ARC. With both these methods, the sound will almost always be downgraded to plain 2 channel stereo. Maybe not as big a deal for a 2.1 channel soundbase, but I'd rather give it the best soundtrack possible without it being degraded by the TV. Having said that, the XT1 can process almost any audio format: DD, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA.. this is extremely rare for a soundbar / soundbase. With the 3 HDMI inputs you would then connect your devices directly to the soundbase, rather than the TV, and use the soundbase as the device switcher. This is the same setup as having an actual AV receiver, and it's often overlooked when shopping for soundbars / soundbases.

With the tech aside, how does it sound? Very good, B+. The sound is much fuller compared to the TV speakers obviously, but it's not meant to compete with a real home theatre setup. The bass is far better than what the TV can ever muster, and I'm often surprised how much bass those dual 4" woofers can output. If I had to complain about one thing, that would be the treble. The high frequencies are adequate, but it could do better with some dedicated tweeters, which this unit does not have. Overall I'm very pleased with the XT1, and for the money I don't think you'll find anything else with 3 HDMI inputs and HD audio processing.

Hope this helps!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a Zvox Zbase 555 in my living room and have been very satisfied with it's performance over the last 2 years. I even had my Polk PSW505 hooked up to it and it sounded even better with movies, etc. Over time the simulated surround sound has gotten more noticeable and it makes me look around the living room wondering if somebody was saying something to me from across the room.

I like the solid mdf cabinet design and it's very sturdy even with my 60" tv sitting on top. Not sure if they're still made the same now, but I found the Bose bases to be made from a very cheap plastic material that flexed with minor pressure applied with my hand.

This system has me very interested lately since I'm getting ready to finish my basement. It may be overkill for a bedroom, but figured I'd throw it out there; however, its not a base it's a bar.
http://inspire5.lhlabs.com/
post #7 of 8 Old 02-01-2016, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I haven't made a decision yet. I like the Zvox 670 but I see that Zvox is releasing a new model in March so I don't know whether or not I should wait on that.

I decided against the Bose, but am still interested in the Yamaha and Sony (especially the price of the Sony).

A sound bar for me is for the most part out of the question because to have any sort of bass at all, you need a subwoofer. And this is just for a bedroom so I'm going for a minimalistic (is that a word?) look. I know a sound base won't have a lot of bass either but because it's much deeper and has ports it should be better.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

I wish there was a poll option (or if there is I don't know how to add one to an existing thread). Someone wants to know what I want for my birthday so I would have to let them know soon. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha but still would like to hear any other opinions anyone else may have. I haven't heard many people mention the Yamaha.
  • Zvox 670
  • Yamaha SRT-1000
  • Sony HT-XT1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Bose , Sony , sound bar , sound base , speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page