Any def tech w studio owners out there - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mjcmt

post #1 of 12 Old 02-20-2016, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Any def tech w studio owners out there

Just hoping to find a few owners of this pretty nice soundbar to share they're experiences with it. I see very little about it on the forum. Or potential owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-20-2016, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It looks nice if a compact wireless lifestyle system will meet your needs. I know it doesn't address your question but their passive soundbar have the advantage to choose an AVR, even a cheaper one should be better than the amplification contained in the W Studio. That being said it had better sound than a Sonos wireless system, from a quick listen at Best Buy/ Magnolia stores.

post #3 of 12 Old 02-20-2016, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I actually have the w studio for a week now. Before downsizing after retirement. Having had an extensive 11.2 system with b&w speakers. I settled with a panny 65zt60 plasma accompanied by a Sony ct660!sb. Very ok not great. Than transitioned to a Visio 5451-c2 5.1 soundbar system. Concept was good but sound muffled and not pleasing. Then recently tried a Sony htrt5 soundbar with wireless sub and rear speakers. Clear but weak with some issues and Terrable Sony customer service. Finally wanting to stay with a soundbar I decided to go the upgrade route. Narrowing my search to the paradigm soundscape Sony htst9 and the w studio. I felt in the long run the studio had the best and cleanest sound then features to suit my needs. The Sony had the most features but I deal reading all review could develop som serious issues and having some experience with they're callous csrs I passed quickly. Having had the w studio now for a week pretty satisfied so far some small issues but there is a learning curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Mythos SSA50

Good to hear your comparison. I was studying wireless systems for my bro-in-law and with a quick audition felt the DefTech had a stronger and fuller sound than the equivalent Sonos system.

Being near retirement and wanting to de-clutter our living room I went with the DefTech Mythos SSA50 passive soundbar, Yamaha Aventage RXA740 receiver, Yamaha BDS677 bluray/sacd player, and Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub. Once it broke in and my ears acclimated to the different sound it has a very nice and capable sound. It's still compact.

(Here is a photo before ML sub was entered in the system.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	system CU SM no grill_0039.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	1268345   Click image for larger version

Name:	system SM +grill_0032.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	1268353  
hpp8140 likes this.

post #5 of 12 Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Beautiful setup. I would have considered going that route as that is an awesome soundbar but space was limited with all the other equipment I wanted to keep and still keep a neat uncluttered look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1268609  

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #6 of 12 Old 02-22-2016, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 43
We have this in a vacation house, and it is the best sounding soundbar that I have heard. Good clarity, reasonable dispersion, and not bad integration with the sub. Very happy with it.

It's not the 5.1 I have at home with Dali speakers, etc, but it's exactly what we need for where it is.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-22-2016, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Great glad you like it not the sound system I had in our other house either but the best sound bar I have heard we really love it. The vocals are great. And yes very good base integration . Clear distinct with no to little boominess . The play fi not bad either. I was concerned in the beginning there was some distortion in the vocals. But after some trial and error I switched soundbar to a different outlet and perfection.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I should have mentioned the play-fi, too. It's a nice addition, and I've purchase a couple of additional Def Tech speakers for other rooms that use play-fi.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-23-2016, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep once you get the hang of play-fi nice to listen to music with tv off. Lack of HDMI arc is my only complaint but programming the X11 remote was easy and painless.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I literally just finished plugging in my W studio for our living room. The wife wants the tv above the fireplace eventually (this is not our primary tv area) so I wanted something that could sit on the mantle, sound decent and didnt have too many things to trip her up. The W studio fit that pretty well.

What settings are you guys using? So far I've turned the SSA to 0 for both movie and music, turned center to -2 and sub +3. I'm still getting acclimated to it but, it's sounds good so far.

Also this is the first playfi device I've acquired and it's setup is a little odd but not bad at all. I need to figure out why some of my iTunes files will not play. I have a feeling it has to do with music I actually own versus Apple Music.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-22-2017, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmt View Post
It looks nice if a compact wireless lifestyle system will meet your needs. I know it doesn't address your question but their passive soundbar have the advantage to choose an AVR, even a cheaper one should be better than the amplification contained in the W Studio. That being said it had better sound than a Sonos wireless system, from a quick listen at Best Buy/ Magnolia stores.
I have the w studio, it is great sound, nice slim and does not distract from the actual TV. My wife loves the simplicity, and the sound. I would not recommend for too large of a room though
post #12 of 12 Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Yep once you get the hang of play-fi nice to listen to music with tv off. Lack of HDMI arc is my only complaint but programming the X11 remote was easy and painless.
Curious how did you get X1 remote to pair with W Studio. I can't find codes for X1 or LG magic remote to control volume.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page