MartinLogan Motion Vision X Soundbar Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #31 of 51 Old 02-27-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Respectfully, I think it's you who are missing the point.

You say that you respect his right to express his opinion, but in fact you use terms like "Who are you to say...?" That's making it personal... and that's where the discussion becomes uncivil. It's presumptuous.

You can comment on why you think the soundbar is not overpriced. But you can't deny the right of another individual to make an assessment based on his perspective that it is. In the end, it's just an opinion, like yours, like mine, and everyone else's.

In general, given MartinLogan's quality, I think their pricing is fair. That's my opinion.

Last edited by taichi4; 02-27-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 03-05-2016, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So between the Martin Logan and the paradigm what is the consensus?

I like that you can run a sub with both. I think an SVS sb1000 would be a good pairing for either.
post #33 of 51 Old 03-20-2016, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mark,

Setup says on wall or on shelf. Is it possible that this bar could be mounted under my television with some L-brackets on an articulating mount?

Thanks for the review.

Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Many companies make sound bar mounts to attach to the TV mount and work great for articulating arm mounts. Google soundbar mounts and you will get many options. Here is one.
http://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Mount.../dp/B00LPUWKR0
post #35 of 51 Old 03-22-2016, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Many companies make sound bar mounts to attach to the TV mount and work great for articulating arm mounts. Google soundbar mounts and you will get many options. Here is one.
http://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Mount.../dp/B00LPUWKR0
Thanks Ellebob. I'm aware of the brackets, I was looking more for whether anyone had hung it in this manner and any difficulties they had. Issues with depth, best brackets to use...

Stuart
post #36 of 51 Old 03-22-2016, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
I work as an installer and the biggest problem with mounting sound bars is the depth as their depth is often more than the TV and you want to make a flush look. The mount I listed is similar to the one the company I work for uses. I couldn't find that model online but the one linked is close. The other issue that happens with some sound bars is they only have keyholes for wall mounts and often don't line up with the mount brackets and you have to screw directly into the sound bar. That is not a problem with the ML as it comes with a mounting plate which is usually big enough to connect to the sound bar mount. You might have to drill a few holes in the mounting plate to line everything up but not usually with the ML if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Ellebob; 03-22-2016 at 03:51 AM.
post #37 of 51 Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
LOL, I am one of the two, so Martin Logan must be almost on sales-forecast!

Just kidding! I do not have an AV room, we have one living room in the house. So we wanted to hide as much as possible. The ML soundbar and a REALLY nice cabinet from BDI (BDI 8177) had turned out to be a nice upgrade for us.

I listened to only a limited number of options, but really liked the ML. Voices were a priority, and with the right setting, the ML has been a big improvement. I tried a lot of settings on the ML, both in 5.1 and Stereo mode. For our specific room and preferences, the setting "Stereo Wide" has been our favorite.

I also have to admit having a little brand-loyalty to ML, after years with their electrostatic speakers . . .

I do not see your ML MVX. In the cabinet?

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
post #38 of 51 Old 03-22-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I was curious to hear the Vision X in my home and listen to it in a quiet environment. Experimented with all the settings but not able to overcome its basic sound which I would describe as muddled, hollow, a lack of openness.
post #39 of 51 Old 03-28-2016, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
I do not see your ML MVX. In the cabinet?
Right! There is a full width shelf along the top for a soundbar. The front is solid walnut slats to allow sound out as well as let the IR remotes in. The display of the ML even lines up with one of the gaps, so I can see the setting. The cabinet even has hidden wheels to roll it out from the wall for wiring.
49Merc likes this.
post #40 of 51 Old 03-28-2016, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8813 Post(s)
Liked: 15477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
I was curious to hear the Vision X in my home and listen to it in a quiet environment. Experimented with all the settings but not able to overcome its basic sound which I would describe as muddled, hollow, a lack of openness.
Yikes!
WOLVERNOLE and 49Merc like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #41 of 51 Old 03-28-2016, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8813 Post(s)
Liked: 15477
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
Right! There is a full width shelf along the top for a soundbar. The front is solid walnut slats to allow sound out as well as let the IR remotes in. The display of the ML even lines up with one of the gaps, so I can see the setting. The cabinet even has hidden wheels to roll it out from the wall for wiring.
Very stealthy.
49Merc likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #42 of 51 Old 03-28-2016, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yikes!
Yikes is right. Just goes to show how important it is to listen and evaluate in your own listening space. Martin Logan has a long history in the audio industry so I was curious to check out their soundbar. As things stand now, I will stay with the B&W Panorama, a 9 driver soundbar from 2009.

Last edited by Orbitron; 03-28-2016 at 10:38 PM.
post #43 of 51 Old 04-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know the difference between this one and the vision? It's 200 dollars more but what do you get for the extra money?
post #44 of 51 Old 04-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cj5 View Post
Anyone know the difference between this one and the vision? It's 200 dollars more but what do you get for the extra money?
DTS PlayFi
New remote
brushed aluminum controls

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
post #45 of 51 Old 05-06-2016, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I can not believe I'm seeing users saying, "over priced" when speaking about Martin Logan. The only people who say this are those who haven't actually heard this product IRL or simply cannot afford it. Stop whining and get a better job so it won't be so "expensive" to you. Seriously, grow up. This is likely the best soundbar ever made, period.
post #46 of 51 Old 05-16-2016, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I can't believe I'm contemplating this. I have a Soundtrack 2 on order but Play-fi is huge to me. Is a subwoofer an immediate necessity? So torn right now.
post #47 of 51 Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ok..so I pulled the trigger on this and couldn't be more pleased. When you spend this kind of money you expect a certain level of performance and IMO the ML VX delivers. To be honest, I just have not been happy with all sub 1k soundbars I've heard and some that are priced above 1k. Very happy knowing my search is over.
WOLVERNOLE and satfam like this.
post #48 of 51 Old 01-20-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Question A followup question on the GE and ML comparison- tweeter and mid sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Can't touch the much wider GoldenEar for imaging, the GE also benefitted from the inclusion of the in-depth bass management as well as room correction offered by the AVR I drove it with (Pioneer SC-85)
Thanks Mark for this (now slightly older) review, as I have been looking for a high-quality, powered soundbar for my modest 50" plasma tv in a bedroom. I am not wanting multiple speakers, nor a subwoofer to draw my townhouse neighbor over !
My followup question, sir, is about comparing the tweeter common to both the Golden Ear and the ML. That has always made me wonder. Sort of apples to oranges with the GE being powered by a separate AVR and being bigger, but curious if you could speak to the common aspects (again, such as the folded-motion tweeter highs, and maybe the mid-tones).
Thanks again for a great review !
post #49 of 51 Old 05-14-2018, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I bought a Vision X on Saturday and the sound is fantastic. But, the darn thing has an audio anomaly. It mutes the first 2 seconds of audio when it comes across a change. For example, every song track in a playlist will lose the beginning music. This dropout may go unnoticed when there'a an instrumental intro to a vocal, but it is horrible when you want to hear the beginning -- like TV dialogs (it loses words when using the DVR) or Beethovens 5th.

I found on example of someone's comment on Amazon that the same problem was admitted to by Martin Logan as "that's the way it is"

This problem occurs on two digital sources (LG TV and Sonos Connect w/coax) and DOES NOT occur with analog inputs of any source. Is the on-board processor is undersized? After a call to Tech support, I found the issue is indeed "the way it is" and unsolvable with a firmware update.

It turned out this was not something I could live with and I was running out of alternative options for TV sound. I had no ability for running wires and very little room for electronics (Entertainment center furniture has only 6" headroom for a receiver)

I returned (reluctantly) the Vision X and instead went more conventional with a passive soundbar. The Martin Logan SLM X3 driven by a Marantz slim line receiver (only 4" high). I originally was going to opt for the Golden Ear, but as I bought the original equipment at Best Buy, I needed to trade for manufacturers Best Buy offers. The tweeters are similar to the Golden Ear - and i'm taking a risk as it is not on display near me.
Bob Fosse likes this.
post #50 of 51 Old 05-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankey View Post
Ok..so I pulled the trigger on this and couldn't be more pleased. When you spend this kind of money you expect a certain level of performance and IMO the ML VX delivers. To be honest, I just have not been happy with all sub 1k soundbars I've heard and some that are priced above 1k. Very happy knowing my search is over.
I felt the same way after listening to the Vision X. Like most soundbars, you can hear the box and is not as transparent as normal speakers but the Vision sounded more like a couple small bookshelf speakers. Probably due to the fact they use three folded motion tweeters and 4" woofers for the mids.

I since went with Martin Logan in-celining powered by an Orb and USB Bluetooth adapter for under $1000. Much better than the Samsung with a smaller footprint than any soundbar.

Samsung MS750 soundbar for sale in the classifieds btw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180519_001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	2404750   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180519_002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	2404752  

Last edited by snyderkv; 05-20-2018 at 08:52 AM.
post #51 of 51 Old 10-16-2018, 12:00 PM
All That Jazz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis L. View Post
I bought a Vision X on Saturday and the sound is fantastic. But, the darn thing has an audio anomaly. It mutes the first 2 seconds of audio when it comes across a change. For example, every song track in a playlist will lose the beginning music. This dropout may go unnoticed when there'a an instrumental intro to a vocal, but it is horrible when you want to hear the beginning -- like TV dialogs (it loses words when using the DVR) or Beethovens 5th.

I found on example of someone's comment on Amazon that the same problem was admitted to by Martin Logan as "that's the way it is"

This problem occurs on two digital sources (LG TV and Sonos Connect w/coax) and DOES NOT occur with analog inputs of any source. Is the on-board processor is undersized? After a call to Tech support, I found the issue is indeed "the way it is" and unsolvable with a firmware update.

It turned out this was not something I could live with and I was running out of alternative options for TV sound. I had no ability for running wires and very little room for electronics (Entertainment center furniture has only 6" headroom for a receiver)

I returned (reluctantly) the Vision X
I am experiencing the same issues that you experienced. In my new setup in our vacation home, I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 800X subwoofer connected to a ML Vision X soundbar. The sound is fantastic for a sound bar and little ML sub. However, every time that I change channels on my TV, change inputs, or even going through previews of movies on a BluRay or DVD, I get a loud brief thump through the subwoofer. My Professional installer tried everything he could think of to eliminate the thump, but without success. He tried wireless vs wired, different cables, etc. After doing research, I found the same reports with the Vision X that you did. It is dropping the first few seconds of sound when changing channels, inputs, etc. My installer believes that the loud thump though the sub is caused by this dropout of audio on the Vision X and that a different sub would not help. I also experience severe lip sync issues when watching TV or a DVD/BluRay when first switching inputs to the desired source. This can be fixed by pausing the video for a couple of seconds which I believe is do to this anomaly with the Motion X with the audio needing to catch up with the video.

Like you, I am reluctantly returning the Motion X and will look elsewhere. What surprises me is that none of the reviews report this anomaly

A/V SYSTEM: Sony Z9D 75" LCD main, LG EF9500 55” OLED, Sony A9F 65”OLED , Anthem 525, Anthem AVM 60, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, JL112E, Oppo 203 103 83, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Triton 3 , Auralex room tx, black out curtains. 2 CHANNEL STEREO: Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP SACD transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Martinlogan , motion vision x , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page