2016 Vizio SmartCast sound bars - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 228Likes

post #901 of 1663 Old 09-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBob View Post
After I sent my troubleshooting letter to Vizio and they replied that it would be fixed, I got another response from their engineering team telling me that it's normal to have the audio coming in over the other speakers if the focus is on the correct channel. This is what they said:

"Third, we tested this speaker test from Netflix, and you can hear the audio from both L/R rears, but the focus is correct on the channels being announced."

So this is sorta troubling to me if true since it seems like playing a discreet sound channel over every other speaker was a design choice. Unless they reverse their design decision, we shouldn't expect true discrete sound from every channel as on pretty much every other surround sound system.

To the people that have reported hearing 5.1 in movies and games,

Well technically it's working and qualitatively it may not make a difference to you. However, decoding audio like this is deviating from a content creator's decisions. By mixing a channel into every speaker while only retaining the "focus" in the original channel, Vizio is taking away the choice that a sound designer made to have the waterfall sounds come only from the audience's back left for example. If the sound designer wanted every speaker to play waterfall noises at low volume and keep the focus on back left they would have done so. I will reply to Vizio again to clarify if this is true this weekend. I would return and buy another system if there was one that was physically designed as elegantly as this one. The software definitely needs work.

Thanks for sharing your findings!

This is a little troubling, indeed, but I suppose these soundbar systems are designed at those who are relative newbies to home theater, so they 'tuned' them to have a more enveloping 'experience.' Shrug. As has already been said (IIRC), I do wish there was an option to shut this 'functionality' off.

Personally, I am enjoying the system overall since its WAF is much higher than a proper 5.1+ system. I'm using ARC in combo with a Samsung KS8000, which is able to control it without issue. (That makes the misses SO happy )

I do hope Vizio gets its act together in terms of software & firmware. I updated the iOS app today and its now unusable (states the app needs to be upgraded )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1663 Old 09-06-2016, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens73 View Post
The last FW update fixed my dropped audio via hdmi-arc

i keep hearing stuff about firmware updates but i never got one and the usb stick method from the website doesn't seem to work. what's the latest one?

nevermind...the app update outlined here finally worked for me:

https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...formation-3115

Last edited by henhowc; 09-06-2016 at 02:21 AM.
post #903 of 1663 Old 09-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkachin View Post
Any reason your not using optical? Not much benefit to arc over optical.
Is the optical cord that came with the soundbar good enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 1663 Old 09-06-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkaii View Post
Is the optical cord that came with the soundbar good enough?
Yes.

Vizio M75-C1 Go Big or Go Home
post #905 of 1663 Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 PM

Liked: 7
Today Vizio announced it's Crave series of speakers that are compatible with Smartcast and are part of their audio ecosystem (which includes the soundbar).

I am interested in these speakers, but will wait for some review first. The dual subwoofers of the Pro are enticing, but I like the portability of the wireless 360.
post #906 of 1663 Old 09-07-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Optical vs. Arc

So I got a little confused through here and do not know enough how to test it myself other than by ear.

After the update, does the optical still work better than the Arc?

Also, Vizio recommended that I use bitstream while watching over Netflix, etc. I noticed a BIG difference when switching my digital output from auto to bitstream. This may help some people. However, I am not sure why they recommended bitstream over PCM when I am using HDMI. My best guess - Netflix and apps like it already compress the surround sound when sending it so you will do best to use bitstream to handle the compressed file rather than try to have PCM read a compressed file that it thinks is uncompressed.

Has anyone run any calibration tests to see what might be more of a standard setting for the bass/treble/woofer?
post #907 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 12:04 PM

Liked: 45
I have an issue trying to cast Spotify to my new Smartcast 5.1 setup. I have a P-55 and when I play something through spotify on the included tablet remote or my phone the TV shows up as a device I can cast to in spotify, but the soundbar never shows up. I'd like to be able to cast music without the TV being on, not sure why this isn't working with Spotify as Pandora sees the soundbar and TV just fine. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
post #908 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
I have an issue trying to cast Spotify to my new Smartcast 5.1 setup. I have a P-55 and when I play something through spotify on the included tablet remote or my phone the TV shows up as a device I can cast to in spotify, but the soundbar never shows up. I'd like to be able to cast music without the TV being on, not sure why this isn't working with Spotify as Pandora sees the soundbar and TV just fine. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
I had same issue. I reset the soundbar and it worked fine. I also tried using a newer device to first set it up. Maybe you could try that.
post #909 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Swift View Post
I had same issue. I reset the soundbar and it worked fine. I also tried using a newer device to first set it up. Maybe you could try that.
By newer device do you mean a different phone other than the tablet? Oddly enough this is the second smartcast soundbar I've tried it with and Spotify failed to see either (the first was open box from Bestbuy and did not have a remote so they swapped me a brand new system for no extra, nice right? ). Haven't done a reset of the soundbar but I guess I'll try that.
post #910 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
By newer device do you mean a different phone other than the tablet? Oddly enough this is the second smartcast soundbar I've tried it with and Spotify failed to see either (the first was open box from Bestbuy and did not have a remote so they swapped me a brand new system for no extra, nice right? ). Haven't done a reset of the soundbar but I guess I'll try that.
The first device I tried it on was a tablet on android 4. I think the smartcast tablets run on android 5 so I tried it on a tablet at least up to Android 5. Have you used the vizio smartcast app with the soundbar? I think you will have to run it through that first to set it up on wifi. Then try casting to it from spotify or another app. Unless I am misunderstanding your original post.
post #911 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I can't believe they swapped it even though you were buying an open box. I guess their fault for not checking for the remote. I really want to official remote but I only saw online for like $260 and not sure if it works for all vizio smartcast TVs or just certain series
post #912 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The first device I tried it on was a tablet on android 4. I think the smartcast tablets run on android 5 so I tried it on a tablet at least up to Android 5. Have you used the vizio smartcast app with the soundbar? I think you will have to run it through that first to set it up on wifi. Then try casting to it from spotify or another app. Unless I am misunderstanding your original post.
Yeah I set up the soundbar through my Vizio tablet through the smartcast app first, can cast through pandora but not spotify. But I suppose I can reset the soundbar, try it through my phone and try the spotify app on there.
post #913 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I can't believe they swapped it even though you were buying an open box. I guess their fault for not checking for the remote. I really want to official remote but I only saw online for like $260 and not sure if it works for all vizio smartcast TVs or just certain series
I know, it's the SB4051-D5, so I essentially got a brand new system that regularly retails at $429.99 for $259.99, so I was a happy camper . They would've swapped it out with another open box model but they didn't have any left, so since it was their error they just gave me the brand new one.
post #914 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I know, it's the SB4051-D5, so I essentially got a brand new system that regularly retails at $429.99 for $259.99, so I was a happy camper . They would've swapped it out with another open box model but they didn't have any left, so since it was their error they just gave me the brand new one.
Quote:
Yeah I set up the soundbar through my Vizio tablet through the smartcast app first, can cast through pandora but not spotify. But I suppose I can reset the soundbar, try it through my phone and try the spotify app on there.
If Pandora works then it sounds to me the problem is with the spotify app. Google has less incentive to work with spotify since it is their main competitor to google music and primarily tied to apple products. But trying it from a device with a newer version of android may help as it may have a version of spotify that has newer updates

wow sounds like you got a great deal
post #915 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkachin View Post
Any reason your not using optical? Not much benefit to arc over optical.
Well for one my TV is on the wall already and a p75 c1 is heavy... I have all my cords through a wall and didn't hook up optical because I expected a 4000 dollar TV and a 500 dollar soundbar to work with HDMI ARC.. Lol I am hoping they fix it. They have to fix it. It's a defect and I have heard from Vizio it's the TV that is causing the issue then I call back and someone else says it's the soundbar. They just need to fix it..

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sbuchanan813; 09-08-2016 at 04:50 PM.
post #916 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
Well for one my TV is on the wall already and a p75 c1 is heavy... I have all my cords through a wall and didn't hook up optical because I expected a 4000 dollar TV and a 500 dollar soundbar to work with HDMI ARC.. Lol I am. Hoping they fix it. They have to fix it. It's a defect and I have heard from. Vizio it's the TV that is causing the issue then I can back and someone else says it's the soundbar. They just need to fix it..

Man that was. Hard to read.
post #917 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Man that was. Hard to read.
Well I'm sorry you don't know how to read. Let me simplify. I paid 5 thousand dollars for a setup that should work with HDMI ARC. That better bud? Thanks. Don't be a jerk.

post #918 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Well I'm sorry you don't know how to read. Let me simplify. I paid 5 thousand dollars for a setup that should work with HDMI ARC. That better bud? Thanks. Don't be a jerk.

I. Don't think. You got the. Joke.
post #919 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I. Don't think. You got the. Joke.
Stop harassing me please. Focus on the topic.

post #920 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Stop harassing me please. Focus on the topic.

Harassing?

Maybe you. Should re-read your. Own post.

-Hugh Mungus
post #921 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Harassing?

Maybe you. Should re-read your. Own post.

-Hugh Mungus
Again I'll ask that you focus on the topic. I get it man I typed this up on a phone.. You're cool for trying to be clever over the internet. Let's move on.

post #922 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Again I'll ask that you focus on the topic. I get it man I typed this up on a phone.. You're cool for trying to be clever over the internet. Let's move on.

Wow, you certainly are touchy aren't you. Maybe you should lighten up before calling someone a jerk, saying they can't read, and accusing someone of harassment for making a simple joke

I didn't realize you were a member of AVS forum:
SnowBob likes this.
post #923 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Wow, you certainly are touchy aren't you. Maybe you should lighten up before calling someone a jerk, saying they can't read, and accusing someone of harassment for making a simple joke

I didn't realize you were a member of AVS forum:
https://youtu.be/FeNJFz-WCZs?t=59s
You done now? Thanks.

post #924 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You done now? Thanks.

You're. welcome.
post #925 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You're. welcome.
You seem like a great guy.

post #926 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You seem like a great guy.

Thanks!
post #927 of 1663 Old 09-08-2016, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Don't engage just report it. Trolls get a kick out of your reaction.

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
post #928 of 1663 Old 09-09-2016, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB4551-...izio+sound+bar

By the way, Amazon has the 40s and 45s for a good price.
post #929 of 1663 Old 09-09-2016, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 29
i got my sister the sb3821 D6 from costco. i dont think it has hdmi available like the C6.

read plenty of reviews, one question

i planned to connect the sound bar straight to her dvd player via digital, also to her directtv via digital coaxcial
but after reading many reviews many people have a big problem switching tv inputs. i want to avoid these problems for her

both the directtv receiver and dvd player are connected to the tv via hdmi

so my question is if i connect the soundbar straight to the tv via digital will she still get dolby digital etc. for direct tv and dvd player?

Last edited by Luisfc1972; 09-09-2016 at 05:59 PM.
post #930 of 1663 Old 09-09-2016, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
so my question is if i connect the soundbar straight to the tv via digital will she still get dolby digital etc. for direct tv and dvd player?

Depends on the TV. Many TVs will pass Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 signals input to the TV back out via optical connections.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page