2016 Vizio SmartCast sound bars - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 228Likes

post #931 of 1663 Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanumang View Post
Depends on the TV. Many TVs will pass Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 signals input to the TV back out via optical connections.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well the tv is a vizio e320-a1 and it has hdmi and digital optical and coaxial on it so im hoping it can pass dolby digital and dts etc that way. i guess im good to go. id rather connect direct tv receiver and dvd player directly to the sound bar, probably get better sound (surround sound) that way.

Last edited by Luisfc1972; 09-09-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1663 Old 09-10-2016, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 817
So I just noticed that Spotify doesn't list the soundbar for casting, and neither does YouTube, my other devices show up. Other apps like Pandora and Play Music do work though. Is this normal?
post #933 of 1663 Old 09-10-2016, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Hey everyone. Does anyone use a harmony elite with hub to control the 45inch smart cast soundbar? If so is anyone having issues with it? It's become a chore with turning volume up or down.. Seems to work then not work then work again. Sometimes I can't control the soundbar at all. It's really annoying.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1663 Old 09-11-2016, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
Hey everyone. Does anyone use a harmony elite with hub to control the 45inch smart cast soundbar? If so is anyone having issues with it? It's become a chore with turning volume up or down.. Seems to work then not work then work again. Sometimes I can't control the soundbar at all. It's really annoying.

I use a Harmony but not your set up. It is not consistent with volume control or to turn on/off the SB. The Harmony will not mute my SB. I find myself using VCast on my phone to handle volume control. I bought the Harmony more for family so it powers on the right stuff and set the right input. It is irritating.

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
post #935 of 1663 Old 09-11-2016, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Amazon Vizio updated?

I took my 4051-D5 back to costco because it had the dropout and volume problem. If I ordered a 4551-D5 from Amazon would it have the undate from Vizio to correct the problem, or should I still wait a while to order?
post #936 of 1663 Old 09-11-2016, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
It's a software update so once it's connected to the Internet it will update or you update it with a USB stick

post #937 of 1663 Old 09-11-2016, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
So I just noticed that Spotify doesn't list the soundbar for casting, and neither does YouTube, my other devices show up. Other apps like Pandora and Play Music do work though. Is this normal?
I'm having the exact same issue, tried a factory reset of the system and still no go, not sure why this isn't working as they literally advertise that it can cast Spotify. (plus my Vizio P55 TV DOES show up, same technology I yet different results?)
post #938 of 1663 Old 09-12-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduramax View Post
I took my 4051-D5 back to costco because it had the dropout and volume problem. If I ordered a 4551-D5 from Amazon would it have the undate from Vizio to correct the problem, or should I still wait a while to order?
I'm curious why you didn't update before taking it back

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #939 of 1663 Old 09-12-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyus View Post
I use a Harmony but not your set up. It is not consistent with volume control or to turn on/off the SB. The Harmony will not mute my SB. I find myself using VCast on my phone to handle volume control. I bought the Harmony more for family so it powers on the right stuff and set the right input. It is irritating.

Yea what I'm seeing is the ir on the soundbar is horrible. I've had to move around the repeater coming from the hub quite a bit to get the perfect angle. It's just weird because sometimes it's working perfectly and then 5 min later I can't turn the volume up or down.i personally think it's a soundbar issue. It's weird because my harmony communicates with my roku over WiFi but uses ir with the soundbar when it could use WiFi as well.

post #940 of 1663 Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Yea what I'm seeing is the ir on the soundbar is horrible. I've had to move around the repeater coming from the hub quite a bit to get the perfect angle. It's just weird because sometimes it's working perfectly and then 5 min later I can't turn the volume up or down.i personally think it's a soundbar issue. It's weird because my harmony communicates with my roku over WiFi but uses ir with the soundbar when it could use WiFi as well.

My experience with my SB4551-D5 is the IR receiver works fine from almost any direction. I think it's possible that your SB's IR receiver is defective.

Vizio M75-C1 Go Big or Go Home
post #941 of 1663 Old 09-12-2016, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm curious why you didn't update before taking it back

I did not realize that the update was done and available. Also I was not sure I would have the ability to get the update installed. There are several posts in this thread that indicated that Vizio still had not corrected the problem. If indeed they have I will order the 4551-D5 soon.
post #942 of 1663 Old 09-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post
My experience with my SB4551-D5 is the IR receiver works fine from almost any direction. I think it's possible that your SB's IR receiver is defective.
Def possible. Or honestly it could be my or repeater I will have to test some things.

post #943 of 1663 Old 09-12-2016, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
I'm having the exact same issue, tried a factory reset of the system and still no go, not sure why this isn't working as they literally advertise that it can cast Spotify. (plus my Vizio P55 TV DOES show up, same technology I yet different results?)
Having the same issue here too.

I spoke with vizio several months ago because i was having issues with playback with spotify and after a while (and many tiers later) they said that Spotify was aware of the issue and they were working on a fix. wonder if they just pulled compatibility until they work out the sound issue?

would be nice if they could get it working, i was looking forward to the group cast feature and you cant include display devices in a group currently.
post #944 of 1663 Old 09-13-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello! I'm new here to the Forum. I just bought the Vizio SB-4551 D5 to go with my 70" Vizio Smart TV. So far I'm loving it but have had minor issues/concerns up to this point.

First, is the provided Digital Audio cable fiber optic? I'm using it from the TV to the Bar and the sound cuts out on occasion. I've bought a new cable but haven't installed it yet. I'm wondering if I should try it or just go the HDMI pass-through route from my Xfinity Box.

Other than that, this is an awesome system!! My living room shook when playing "The Force Awakens" on Blu-Ray!!!

Looking forward to your feedback!
post #945 of 1663 Old 09-13-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McCarty View Post
First, is the provided Digital Audio cable fiber optic? I'm using it from the TV to the Bar and the sound cuts out on occasion. I've bought a new cable but haven't installed it yet. I'm wondering if I should try it or just go the HDMI pass-through route from my Xfinity Box.
Welcome to the forum, Jim.

I'm afraid the audio dropout issue is related to buggy firmware on the machine, not the connection. IOW, if you connect via HDMI (as I do) you'll still get it (once in a while). Changing the optical cable is unlikely to remedy this -- unless you're a very lucky person.

Lots of users experience dropouts. It's not a regular occurrence with my 4551, but does happen, say, every third day. I notice that altering the volume level -- even if it's to turn it up, then back down -- tends to fix it most times. *shrug*

Hopefully Vizio will get this corrected soon...
post #946 of 1663 Old 09-13-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum, Jim.

I'm afraid the audio dropout issue is related to buggy firmware on the machine, not the connection. IOW, if you connect via HDMI (as I do) you'll still get it (once in a while). Changing the optical cable is unlikely to remedy this -- unless you're a very lucky person.

Lots of users experience dropouts. It's not a regular occurrence with my 4551, but does happen, say, every third day. I notice that altering the volume level -- even if it's to turn it up, then back down -- tends to fix it most times. *shrug*

Hopefully Vizio will get this corrected soon...
So the thing to do is to just wait for the next firmware update, yes? I'm going to switch up to the HDMI cables I think. I just need to make sure I have an HDMI ARC port on the TV. It's less than two years old so it should.
post #947 of 1663 Old 09-13-2016, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

Have the Harmony Smart Control (the older glossy version) and it seems to work just fine with my sb4551-d5. No issues with volume control or mute.
post #948 of 1663 Old 09-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
Have the Harmony Smart Control (the older glossy version) and it seems to work just fine with my sb4551-d5. No issues with volume control or mute.
Thanks for commenting. It's funny the last 2 days I have had no issues at all.if you don't mind me asking, where do you have your ir repeater?

post #949 of 1663 Old 09-13-2016, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Thanks for commenting. It's funny the last 2 days I have had no issues at all.if you don't mind me asking, where do you have your ir repeater?

My Harmony Hub is right below the soundbar and TV in the tv stand. I'm not using any of the mini ir blasters as I've never really had any issues.
post #950 of 1663 Old 09-14-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McCarty View Post
So the thing to do is to just wait for the next firmware update, yes? I'm going to switch up to the HDMI cables I think. I just need to make sure I have an HDMI ARC port on the TV. It's less than two years old so it should.
So last night I tried the HDMI connection. After everything was connected, it literally worked for a second and then stopped. Now, when i bought this TV (Feb 2015) there were some HDMI ports that did not work. I didn't need all of them so I let it go. I'm under the assumption the reason the reason the HDMI connection doesn't work is TV and not soundbar related. So I went back to the Digital Audio cable and it's working fine. I have an E701i TV for the record. Thoughts anyone?
post #951 of 1663 Old 09-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thinking about getting the Vizio sb4551 for my 65" Samsung ks8000. What are everyone's thoughts on this sounds bar that are running it? It's seems like there is some firmware issues. Are they working on fixing that? Also will it link up to my tv so I can just use my cable remote to control everything?
post #952 of 1663 Old 09-14-2016, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg215 View Post
Thinking about getting the Vizio sb4551 for my 65" Samsung ks8000. What are everyone's thoughts on this sounds bar that are running it? It's seems like there is some firmware issues. Are they working on fixing that? Also will it link up to my tv so I can just use my cable remote to control everything?
I also own a KS8000 and have the SB4551. There are firmware issues that creep up-- though with both devices. Sometime the Vizio acts weird, sometimes the Samsung does.

If you're using HDMI-ARC, you shouldn't have any issues with your cable remote, as the TV knows to send volume commands to the soundbar. If you prefer to connect the soundbar via optical, Vizio publishes the remote codes for the device on their support page, so it should be programmable to your cable remote. (Haven't tried it that way myself though.)

As for the overall quality, it's a nice sounding system. Certainly good enough to fill a small to medium sized space. And it looks elegant when paired with the KS8000. However, as others in this thread can attest to, it currently only does 4.1 audio.
post #953 of 1663 Old 09-15-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I tried to search and couldn't find the answer...

What exactly is the HDMI output used for? I assume it is not like my dream of being able to use use the soundbar for full on chromecast video abilities(streaming netflix and whatnot) and not just audio.

Thanks!
post #954 of 1663 Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I also own a KS8000 and have the SB4551. There are firmware issues that creep up-- though with both devices. Sometime the Vizio acts weird, sometimes the Samsung does.

If you're using HDMI-ARC, you shouldn't have any issues with your cable remote, as the TV knows to send volume commands to the soundbar. If you prefer to connect the soundbar via optical, Vizio publishes the remote codes for the device on their support page, so it should be programmable to your cable remote. (Haven't tried it that way myself though.)

As for the overall quality, it's a nice sounding system. Certainly good enough to fill a small to medium sized space. And it looks elegant when paired with the KS8000. However, as others in this thread can attest to, it currently only does 4.1 audio.
Awesome thanks for the info! The HDMI ARC is that just using the hdmi input instead of the optical input? If so is there any certain hdmi cable I should get? If you dont mind could you post a pic of your tv with the sound bar? And last do you think this sound bar is worth the money (I can get it for $400 at SAMs club) or should I look into something else?
post #955 of 1663 Old 09-15-2016, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome thanks for the info! The HDMI ARC is that just using the hdmi input instead of the optical input? If so is there any certain hdmi cable I should get? If you dont mind could you post a pic of your tv with the sound bar? And last do you think this sound bar is worth the money (I can get it for $400 at SAMs club) or should I look into something else?
I'm using SB4051 (40" version) with 65ks8000.
Thou I'm currently running it in 3.1 set up with out rear speakers connected to sub.

Running via HDMI-ARC with HDMI cable that was supplied with Vizio Soundbar . Everything works fine in my set for the most part. I'm using TV remote to control everything i.e. Tv , fios cable box and sound bar. Everything turns on/off as expected.

The only finniky thing is TV always wants to use sound bar as speaker output. Meaning if I want to use sound bar as a video source I have to go to smart remote setup and force that manually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1473952735387.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1662241  
hanumang likes this.
post #956 of 1663 Old 09-15-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgesha View Post
I'm using SB4051 (40" version) with 65ks8000.
Thou I'm currently running it in 3.1 set up with out rear speakers connected to sub.

Running via HDMI-ARC with HDMI cable that was supplied with Vizio Soundbar . Everything works fine in my set for the most part. I'm using TV remote to control everything i.e. Tv , fios cable box and sound bar. Everything turns on/off as expected.

The only finniky thing is TV always wants to use sound bar as speaker output. Meaning if I want to use sound bar as a video source I have to go to smart remote setup and force that manually.
Great. Thanks for the info!
post #957 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Great. Thanks for the info!

FYI i figured out KS8000 to Vizio sound bar set-up via OPTICAL for single(TV) remote operation:

For OPTICAL you sort-off need to create and activity (think harmony remote set-up).

Here is what i did:
1. connect sound bar via OPTICAL
2. go to universal remote add new device and set-up with power test (if you SB is not on the list type in your brand)
3. go to sound settings and set it to optical so you get sound from sound bar.
4. go to universal remote you will have multiple devices list (for me i had Fios cable box and Vizio home theater)
if you click vizio a menu will open with few option. one of them was "use with fios" select that. new window will open asking which input is for cable box then which input for sb, after that new window will show TV and cable box and theater with blue dotted lines.
confirm yes. (this step creates activity alas Harmony, if you look at your input menu you will now see Cable box + Vizio as a single input)

I can now control my sound bar (Val+/-/mute)connected via OPTICAL using TV remote. Same remote controls FIOS box to flip channels.
The only thing i'm not sure off if sound bar actually powers down when i shut tv off.
post #958 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
FYI i figured out KS8000 to Vizio sound bar set-up via OPTICAL for single(TV) remote operation:

For OPTICAL you sort-off need to create and activity (think harmony remote set-up).

Here is what i did:
2. go to universal remote add new device and set-up with power test (if you SB is not on the list type in your brand)
4. go to universal remote you will have multiple devices list (for me i had Fios cable box and Vizio home theater)
if you click vizio a menu will open with few option. one of them was "use with fios" select that. new window will open asking which input is for cable box then which input for sb, after that new window will show TV and cable box and theater with blue dotted lines.
confirm yes. (this step creates activity alas Harmony, if you look at your input menu you will now see Cable box + Vizio as a single input)

I can now control my sound bar (Val+/-/mute)connected via OPTICAL using TV remote. Same remote controls FIOS box to flip channels.
The only thing i'm not sure off if sound bar actually powers down when i shut tv off.
Ok thanks! How do you like the sound bar and do you have any pics of it with your tv?
post #959 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Here is what i did:

Ok thanks! How do you like the sound bar and do you have any pics of it with your tv?
So far SB is great. Originally I was going to go with Sonos playbar but just couldn't justify the cost with subwoofer. I figured I'll try Vizio first if I really don't like it or have issues I'd swap. I picked up at Costco for 90 days return policy. So far I had no issues with sound quality, no sound cut out via HDMI or optical, and sub has not lost pairing. Knocking on wood it stays that way. With tv remote control to boot I'm happy. I'm also able to stream my local media (music) of the network via Plex and all audio streaming that is available (Pandora and such). For video I use tv built in apps so that's a mute point for me.

See pics attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1474050288585.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1664457   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1474050306279.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1664465  
post #960 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Does anyone know what causes and how to fix the sound bar just randomly making a sound that is like the old Windows OS sound when something went wrong lol?
I'm using a 3851 bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page