2016 Vizio SmartCast sound bars - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 228Likes

post #961 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Probably a stupid question but I was wondering if there was a way to just increase the base on my Samsung 7000 55inch TV without a soundbar? I have a great subwolfer from another setup.

The TV actually puts out some pretty good sound on its own. It is very good for just regular listening but lacks base from the small speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduramax View Post
Probably a stupid question but I was wondering if there was a way to just increase the base on my Samsung 7000 55inch TV without a soundbar? I have a great subwolfer from another setup.

The TV actually puts out some pretty good sound on its own. It is very good for just regular listening but lacks base from the small speakers.
Actually there could be if your subwoofer is amplified and has analog (red/white) input and optical out on your tv is hot even if you use tv speaker,so you can get optical to analog converter and run that to sub. Set sub levels to compliment tv.

On my ks8000 optical is always hot.

Last edited by Evgesha; 09-16-2016 at 04:19 PM.
post #963 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Can anyone confirm that I did my setup correctly ... When I tried the Disney WOW disc the 5.1 test was playing both rears together.

I have my TiVo ran into my XBox One S ... The XB1S is then connected to HDMI 2 on my P75-C1. I have the HDMI 1 port (ARC) connected to the sound bar.

Audio setting on the XB1S is Bitstream/Dolby Digital ... The TV audio out is set to Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
Can anyone confirm that I did my setup correctly ... When I tried the Disney WOW disc the 5.1 test was playing both rears together.

I have my TiVo ran into my XBox One S ... The XB1S is then connected to HDMI 2 on my P75-C1. I have the HDMI 1 port (ARC) connected to the sound bar.

Audio setting on the XB1S is Bitstream/Dolby Digital ... The TV audio out is set to Auto
Yes you are wired correctly. Connect your Xbox to Sound bar with an optical cable. I bet the wow disk will play correctly.

Vizio M75-C1 Go Big or Go Home
post #965 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post
Yes you are wired correctly. Connect your Xbox to Sound bar with an optical cable. I bet the wow disk will play correctly.
Nope, just tried that ... Pulled the ARC cable, changed input on the SB and went optical from the XB1S to the SB and same behavior

This connection allowed DTS from the XB1S instead of DD - not sure if that makes much of a difference
post #966 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgesha View Post
Actually there could be if your subwoofer is amplified and has analog (red/white) input and optical out on your tv is hot even if you use tv speaker,so you can get optical to analog converter and run that to sub. Set sub levels to compliment tv.

On my ks8000 optical is always hot.
My subwolfer is amplified and has an analog input. Thanks for the suggestion. I will do some investigation. Is an optical to analog converter something easy to find? This wouldn't be the same device to bring old analog TV's a digital signal would it?
jstephens73 likes this.
post #967 of 1663 Old 09-16-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduramax View Post
My subwolfer is amplified and has an analog input. Thanks for the suggestion. I will do some investigation. Is an optical to analog converter something easy to find? This wouldn't be the same device to bring old analog TV's a digital signal would it?
Some quick searching with Google shows me several places to purchase the converter. Many thanks.
post #968 of 1663 Old 09-17-2016, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgesha View Post
So far SB is great. Originally I was going to go with Sonos playbar but just couldn't justify the cost with subwoofer. I figured I'll try Vizio first if I really don't like it or have issues I'd swap. I picked up at Costco for 90 days return policy. So far I had no issues with sound quality, no sound cut out via HDMI or optical, and sub has not lost pairing. Knocking on wood it stays that way. With tv remote control to boot I'm happy. I'm also able to stream my local media (music) of the network via Plex and all audio streaming that is available (Pandora and such). For video I use tv built in apps so that's a mute point for me.

See pics attached
Great! Thanks for all you help and for the pics
post #969 of 1663 Old 09-17-2016, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Someone left a one star review on BB over the whole Spotify not working thing. Vizio commented on the review that they're working on an update to fix this so there's that at least.
post #970 of 1663 Old 09-19-2016, 07:03 PM

Liked: 10
Question SB3821 networking questions

I recently purchased the SB3821-D6 and am confused somewhat by the networking.

It has an ethernet jack. When I connect it up I see the light on my switch light up and blink and when I look at my DHCP server logs I see the soundbar has requested and received an IP address. And I can ping it at that address. Great!

However, when I try to use the Smartcast iOS app it says (correctly) that my iPhone is on WiFi network XYZ and that the soundbar is not and that they must be "on the same network" and prompts me to hit a button in the app to begin the process of joining the soundbar to WiFi network XYZ. What the heck is up with that? What's the point of the soundbar having an (apparently functional) ethernet jack if I have to make it use WiFi? And why does it need to use WiFi at all? My WiFi APs are in bridge mode so both the WiFi and the wired stuff is all on the same subnet.

The Quick Start Guide that comes with the bar says absolutely nothing about this (heck, there's no indication in any packaging or documents that the soundbar even does any form of WiFi) and I can't find anything on Vizio's site other than the Quick Start Guide.

Anyone get this figured out?

Thanks!
post #971 of 1663 Old 09-19-2016, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
I recently purchased the SB3821-D6 and am confused somewhat by the networking.

It has an ethernet jack. When I connect it up I see the light on my switch light up and blink and when I look at my DHCP server logs I see the soundbar has requested and received an IP address. And I can ping it at that address. Great!

However, when I try to use the Smartcast iOS app it says (correctly) that my iPhone is on WiFi network XYZ and that the soundbar is not and that they must be "on the same network" and prompts me to hit a button in the app to begin the process of joining the soundbar to WiFi network XYZ. What the heck is up with that? What's the point of the soundbar having an (apparently functional) ethernet jack if I have to make it use WiFi? And why does it need to use WiFi at all? My WiFi APs are in bridge mode so both the WiFi and the wired stuff is all on the same subnet.

The Quick Start Guide that comes with the bar says absolutely nothing about this (heck, there's no indication in any packaging or documents that the soundbar even does any form of WiFi) and I can't find anything on Vizio's site other than the Quick Start Guide.

Anyone get this figured out?

Thanks!
It has an ethernet port for a more stable connection but in order for the Smartcast app to communicate with the soundbar it must be paired through the smartcast app with wifi. It's the same with the 2016 Vizio displays.

Vizio P75-C1, P50-C1, P65-C1- FW 7.0.8.2-1
Samsung UHD Bluray K8500 - LG UBK90 DV Bluray player
Vizio SB46514-F6 Soundbar - Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
Directv Genie HR34 - Chromecast Ultra
post #972 of 1663 Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anago View Post
It has an ethernet port for a more stable connection but in order for the Smartcast app to communicate with the soundbar it must be paired through the smartcast app with wifi. It's the same with the 2016 Vizio displays.
Wow. That's just bizarre. What on earth is the alleged technical reason for that?
post #973 of 1663 Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
Wow. That's just bizarre. What on earth is the alleged technical reason for that?
The ethernet port on the soundbar and display is for content only. Personally I use ethernet on the display and wifi on the soundbar.
In order to control that content the app and the device have to be paired. Vizio does this using wifi.

Vizio P75-C1, P50-C1, P65-C1- FW 7.0.8.2-1
Samsung UHD Bluray K8500 - LG UBK90 DV Bluray player
Vizio SB46514-F6 Soundbar - Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
Directv Genie HR34 - Chromecast Ultra
post #974 of 1663 Old 09-19-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'd recommend figuring out how to get your soundbar on wifi or ethernet because Vizio actually releases updates for it that might be very helpful for you.

Anyways, I think I found a setting on mine that I like and was wondering what everyone thinks. Start everything at default then run the bass and subs at -9 and treble at 2. I also turn the tru-volume on. I don't notice a huge difference and don't actually particularly like the sound as much up close, but overall I think it's more practical in controlling the volumes and pushing the vocals. It also seems to give me a slightly more dynamic sound curve (think W shape vs. a U shape) for some reason. Some people might like the bass and subs higher but I think this is a better balance over-all. You don't want the mids and trebles feeling like they are conflicting/competing with the low end. Anyways that's just my 2 cents.
post #975 of 1663 Old 09-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
in the market for a sound bar to go with my 55" Samsung JS8500 and xbox One S with TV coming through the xbox. WOuld the new 2016 vizio lineup be a good option for this?
post #976 of 1663 Old 09-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Spotify app just updated....now working perfectly with the soundbar! Seems the issue was indeed the app and not the soundbar. I'm a happy camper.
post #977 of 1663 Old 09-22-2016, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurob12 View Post
in the market for a sound bar to go with my 55" Samsung JS8500 and xbox One S with TV coming through the xbox. WOuld the new 2016 vizio lineup be a good option for this?
I'm in the market for one too.

Looking at the 45" flat subwoofer one or 40" cube sub one.

Is there a huge difference?

post #978 of 1663 Old 09-25-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 906
I just got the SB4051-D5 to go with my Vizio TV. I am wanting to see if this gives me a decent sound for how clean it looks. I also have a full 5.1 system with tower front speakers. I plan on selling all of that if this works decent enough. I have noticed that the rears share a channel. I found that if I turn the center channel all the way down it helps. With the sound meter out the center was way too loud. I also had to turn the rear surrounds up to about 7 from where I sit. The sub sounds good at -3 to me. Just some observations. If anyone has tips I am all ears. Sounds bars are new to me as I am used to an AVR receiver with 5.1 audio.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
powpow likes this.
post #979 of 1663 Old 09-26-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
Spotify app just updated....now working perfectly with the soundbar! Seems the issue was indeed the app and not the soundbar. I'm a happy camper.
Are you on iOS or Android? What version of the Spotify app is working? I just tested last night and still having the same issue. I'm on Android so updates may lag behind iOS. Would really like to get this resolved. Thanks.
post #980 of 1663 Old 09-27-2016, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
Nope, just tried that ... Pulled the ARC cable, changed input on the SB and went optical from the XB1S to the SB and same behavior

This connection allowed DTS from the XB1S instead of DD - not sure if that makes much of a difference
This is a decoding issue discussed a couple pages ago. I have the same problems. It seems like it was a design decision for this sound bar that all channels are played on low volume through all speakers and the designated channel is played louder on that speaker. They are calling this "focus."

Try to look for my post about this. I would recommend that you email support and tell them you're having this issue and its abnormal for a discrete surround sound system. They could fix this with a firmware update.
post #981 of 1663 Old 10-01-2016, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
So I have my SB4551-D5 connected to my M65-D0 through optical and when I cast a program on Netflix and go into my SmartCast app, it says under display info, that the audio is playing in DolbyD + . When I play the same program through my XB1 S, my Smartcast app display info shows audio is in stereo, whether I select uncompressed stereo or bit stream Dolby Digital. I connected optical from SB to XB1 and it still displayed as stereo. Anyone know why DD+ isn't showing on my SmartCast app under display info, when streaming through XB1?
post #982 of 1663 Old 10-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone. My first post here. I just bought a Vizio SB4051-D5 sound bar to hook up to my Vizio E55-C1 TV. Right now I just have hdmi arc running from the bar to the TV. I have my Xfinity box and PS4 running to the TV. Is that the best way to do it? Also any help with settings for sound for any of these or a point on a direction would be appreciated. Thank you.
post #983 of 1663 Old 10-02-2016, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Buzz or Rattle

I've got an SB3830-D0 connected to a TV in a smaller room. It's paired via HDMI-ARC, and the connection is working properly. I control it with a Harmony Hub, and inputs switch properly if I launch the cast audio activity or cast video activity. So everything is good on that end. My issue is that I get a buzz or rattle sound whenever there's a little punch of bass in the sound. This thing is in a small room and rarely turned up very high. It's sitting flat on a solid wooden cabinet. Any suggestions on how to go about eliminating the buzz/rattle?
post #984 of 1663 Old 10-03-2016, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Since the last update has everyone's dropped audio from HDMI ARC been corrected? Mine still drops out and it's starting to bug me. Not sure if an exchange will help at this point.
post #985 of 1663 Old 10-03-2016, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just hooked up my soundbar (SB4031) last night, but didn't get to use it as it was pretty late. I did notice that the soundbar was on this morning, even though i shut everything off last night? I am connected via HDMI ARC, so I'm not sure if that was the issue. I did try to shut the bar off again this morning before I got in the shower, however it turned back on for some reason.

Also, is the red led on the subwoofer supposed to stay on regardless if the system is on or off? It's so bright and annoying.
post #986 of 1663 Old 10-03-2016, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I've been reading up on the Vizio 5.1 systems. After reading thewirecutter.com review I looked into the SB4051-CO. I found many comments stating the sub-woofer was too strong. Also read about people experiencing brief intermittent losses of audio.

Now I see that there's a new version SB4551-D5 and SB4051-D5 for 2016. This is the version with the flat sub-woofer.

Can anyone comment on whether the newer systems suffer from the same issues with the sub-woofer and cut-outs?

I saw the 4051-D5 at Costco. I was very surprised how small the soundbar and rear speakers were. Doesn't seem like they would be powerful enough?
Costco had the SB4051-D5 setup as a demo. But they positioned the rear speakers, sub-woofer and the soundbar together. The result was a weird out of phase distortion (plus it's so noisy in a Costco) so I couldn't accurately judge the sound quality.

LG OLED65B6P
Denon X3400H, KEF LS50. KEF Kube8b, KEF R200c, KEF R50
post #987 of 1663 Old 10-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 6
2016 Vizio SmartCast sound bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpro8 View Post
I've been reading up on the Vizio 5.1 systems. After reading thewirecutter.com review I looked into the SB4051-CO. I found many comments stating the sub-woofer was too strong. Also read about people experiencing brief intermittent losses of audio.

Now I see that there's a new version SB4551-D5 and SB4051-D5 for 2016. This is the version with the flat sub-woofer.

Can anyone comment on whether the newer systems suffer from the same issues with the sub-woofer and cut-outs?

I saw the 4051-D5 at Costco. I was very surprised how small the soundbar and rear speakers were. Doesn't seem like they would be powerful enough?

Costco had the SB4051-D5 setup as a demo. But they positioned the rear speakers, sub-woofer and the soundbar together. The result was a weird out of phase distortion (plus it's so noisy in a Costco) so I couldn't accurately judge the sound quality.

This whole post is almost all about the new flat subwoofer models, it's hit or miss on the cutting out, and most end up going with the Optical connection versus the ARC HDMI connection. We have been waiting on the new update from Vizio, but nothing yet. I suggest you go back and read some of the pages, if I had the option of reading them before I bought mine I would have waited on making the purchase. Other than that, I'm happy with the overall sound, plenty of bass and the fronts and rears sound pretty good, even though there is a discussion regarding if they are putting out true 5.1 sound in this same post.
tpro8 likes this.

Last edited by dubgreasemonkey; 10-03-2016 at 08:53 PM.
post #988 of 1663 Old 10-03-2016, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Ah, OK. I have read the last 5 or 6 pages but I was under the mistaken assumption that the issues mentioned were with the previous model. I was hoping that the new version had addresses the issues. But, I'll wait and keep an eye on this thread.
Thanks.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

LG OLED65B6P
Denon X3400H, KEF LS50. KEF Kube8b, KEF R200c, KEF R50
post #989 of 1663 Old 10-04-2016, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have found that with hdmi arc, if I have my fios cable box connected to a hdmi port on my TV I get occasional annoying drops. Sound cuts randomly for a second. If I connect my cable box to hdmi-in on the soundbar, I don't get sound drops. I have the SB4551-D5. I also notice that the bar comes on by itself occasionally. I have also had occurrences where I get no sound at all and the only thing that fixes it is a factory reset. I have the 1.0.0.8 firmware. Vizio support is no help.
post #990 of 1663 Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but with by SB4551-D5 connected to the TV via HDMI-ARC, when I turn the TV off, obviously the Soundbar turns of immediately, however later on when I turn the TV back on, the soundbar turns back on but fails to pair back to the Sub automatically, how do we fix this?

BTW: I have reset to factory numerous times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page