77Likes

post #601 of 666 Old 06-23-2018, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
At this point I would say the sound bar itself is faulty any option to exchange ? My nt5 is in the closet right now not being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not with the vendor - it's been well over a year. And there have been zero issues with it or the sub woofer until attempting to add the rears. I'd settle for a return/refund on the speakers if they can't get their $#@& together.

XBR65HX950 FALD | XBR65A1E OLED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 666 Old 07-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post
Not with the vendor - it's been well over a year. And there have been zero issues with it or the sub woofer until attempting to add the rears. I'd settle for a return/refund on the speakers if they can't get their $#@& together.
Any resolution yet? . . .Our ZR5 surrounds weren't originally recognized by our NT5 either, until we moved them a little closer to the NT5 --I guess on account of them being too far from it?-- then they both were 'detected' and sync'd-up right-away, after also making sure there were no ob-stac-les - in between the straight line back to NT5.

Last edited by WinMod21; 07-19-2018 at 02:40 PM.
post #603 of 666 Old 07-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
Any resolution yet? . . .Our ZR5 surrounds weren't originally recognized by our NT5 either, until we moved them a little closer ---to the NT5--- then they both were 'detected' and sync'd-up right-away, after also making sure there were ob-stac-cles - in between the straight line back to NT5.
My ZR-5s and NT5 paired without an issue. Just followed the on-screen instructions, I did have them about 5 feet apart when setting them up, that may have helped.

The ZR-5s are operating well positioned about12 feet from the NT5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 666 Old 07-19-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
My ZR-5s and NT5 paired without an issue. Just followed the on-screen instructions, I did have them about 5 feet apart when setting them up, that may have helped.

The ZR-5s are operating well positioned about12 feet from the NT5.
Right. Same here. I think they do pair-up better when set closer, originally. Then we moved ours out to approx 11~12 ft as well.
post #605 of 666 Old 07-20-2018, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Right. Same here. I think they do pair-up better when set closer, originally. Then we moved ours out to approx 11~12 ft as well.
I think they were about 12-15 ft from the NT5 when I was attempting to pair them. The WiFi direct signals were nearly as strong as my router 5G signal when checked on my phone app so kind of surprising they would need to be closer but I'll give it a try.

XBR65HX950 FALD | XBR65A1E OLED
post #606 of 666 Old 07-21-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post
I think they were about 12-15 ft from the NT5 when I was attempting to pair them. The WiFi direct signals were nearly as strong as my router 5G signal when checked on my phone app so kind of surprising they would need to be closer but I'll give it a try.
Hope that works for ya.
post #607 of 666 Old 07-25-2018, 04:11 PM

I guess I should've posted this here, as we haven't returned/replaced/or upgraded our HT-NT5 yet, (considering Sony HT-Z9F 3.1 Hi-Res) . . .

We have TV HDMI 3 ARC > to soundbar HDMI OUT ARC . . . .but we suddenly started getting a 45~60 sec. TV boot-up delay back in June. Had BestBuy Geek Squad guy out to house; he said the long boot-up lag was probably due to our DirecTV mini server client.

So then we had the DirecTV tech come out to house; he replaced and activated a new mini server client, replaced the rooftop dish [L&V?] receiver module (thing that sticks-out a foot or so and points back at dish), and also replaced the coax cable splicer on the side of house exterior, plus checked all signal strengths and interior cables etc etc.

. . okay, I didn't mean to blather on so long !:\ . . . (only read on if you have lots of time and nothing special to do right now) . .

Anyway, so the DirecTV guy says he's pretty sure our HDMI ARC to motherboard circuitry, in either soundbar or TV, must have suffered a glitch, possibly a power spike --past surge suppressor-- or something. And by his guess-timate, prolly the soundbar. He suggested we try to get soundbar replaced, (since we purchased the 4 yr GS warranty).

His immediate remedy was suggesting we hook-up the Optical audio cable > from TV > to soundbar. Which I did. But then we had to re-hook-up the TV's HDMI 3 ARC > to soundbar HDMI OUT ARC port, to get the soundbar to boot-up with (using DTV remote) DirecTV server & TV !!=\ And to get the volume to adjust with DTV remote, (because with just the optical cable only -- the volume OSD would toggle -/+, but the volume wouldn't actually change).

So we now we have both the Optical Audio cable --plus-- the HDMI ARC hooked-up to soundbar. Everything boots-up together. The average overall boot-up time is 25~30 secs. (which is still twice as long as it took since we installed both the TV and soundbar together, last Dec, where the TV / soundbar picture & audio boot-up time was typ 15~20 secs, for 6 months, til June).

And I'm wondering how our soundbars' getting the audio signal now? Through the Optical audio cable, or the HDMI OUT ARC? Or both? Does one over-ride the other?

Any ideas, or possibly helpful info? Thanks for reading.

Last edited by WinMod21; 07-25-2018 at 04:15 PM.
post #608 of 666 Old 07-26-2018, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I guess I should've posted this here, as we haven't returned/replaced/or upgraded our HT-NT5 yet, (considering Sony HT-Z9F 3.1 Hi-Res) . . .

We have TV HDMI 3 ARC > to soundbar HDMI OUT ARC . . . .but we suddenly started getting a 45~60 sec. TV boot-up delay back in June. Had BestBuy Geek Squad guy out to house; he said the long boot-up lag was probably due to our DirecTV mini server client.

So then we had the DirecTV tech come out to house; he replaced and activated a new mini server client, replaced the rooftop dish [L&V?] receiver module (thing that sticks-out a foot or so and points back at dish), and also replaced the coax cable splicer on the side of house exterior, plus checked all signal strengths and interior cables etc etc.

. . okay, I didn't mean to blather on so long !:\ . . . (only read on if you have lots of time and nothing special to do right now) . .

Anyway, so the DirecTV guy says he's pretty sure our HDMI ARC to motherboard circuitry, in either soundbar or TV, must have suffered a glitch, possibly a power spike --past surge suppressor-- or something. And by his guess-timate, prolly the soundbar. He suggested we try to get soundbar replaced, (since we purchased the 4 yr GS warranty).

His immediate remedy was suggesting we hook-up the Optical audio cable > from TV > to soundbar. Which I did. But then we had to re-hook-up the TV's HDMI 3 ARC > to soundbar HDMI OUT ARC port, to get the soundbar to boot-up with (using DTV remote) DirecTV server & TV !!=\ And to get the volume to adjust with DTV remote, (because with just the optical cable only -- the volume OSD would toggle -/+, but the volume wouldn't actually change).

So we now we have both the Optical Audio cable --plus-- the HDMI ARC hooked-up to soundbar. Everything boots-up together. The average overall boot-up time is 25~30 secs. (which is still twice as long as it took since we installed both the TV and soundbar together, last Dec, where the TV / soundbar picture & audio boot-up time was typ 15~20 secs, for 6 months, til June).

And I'm wondering how our soundbars' getting the audio signal now? Through the Optical audio cable, or the HDMI OUT ARC? Or both? Does one over-ride the other?

Any ideas, or possibly helpful info? Thanks for reading.
Save yourself the headache and warranty it. Same thing happened with mine with the slow boot up and eventually it stopped booting up completely. It took 3 warranty services for mine to work well (knock on wood) and each time they replaced the motherboard from what the invoice showed.
post #609 of 666 Old 07-26-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat0m View Post
Save yourself the headache and warranty it. Same thing happened with mine with the slow boot up and eventually it stopped booting up completely. It took 3 warranty services for mine to work well (knock on wood) and each time they replaced the motherboard from what the invoice showed.
Hey, thanks very much for your advise! I typed-out the incident history, but haven't gone to BestBuy yet. Wasn't planning on packing it up and bringing it to BestBuy; was only planning on requesting another Geek Squad service call, then if they can't eliminate the slow boot-up, was then gonna ask for a new one.

Sound reasonable? . . .or would you pack it up and take it in, if similar symptoms as ours? Thanks again.
post #610 of 666 Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Hey, thanks very much for your advise! I typed-out the incident history, but haven't gone to BestBuy yet. Wasn't planning on packing it up and bringing it to BestBuy; was only planning on requesting another Geek Squad service call, then if they can't eliminate the slow boot-up, was then gonna ask for a new one.

Sound reasonable? . . .or would you pack it up and take it in, if similar symptoms as ours? Thanks again.
I doubt Geek Squad will be able to help you. I sent mine into Sony and it was they who replaced the internals of the sound bar. I'd try to get it swapped out with a new one if you have the Best Buy warranty.
post #611 of 666 Old 07-27-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I doubt Geek Squad will be able to help you. I sent mine into Sony and it was they who replaced the internals of the sound bar. I'd try to get it swapped out with a new one if you have the Best Buy warranty.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. Just not sure if I'll need to have the BB GS do another house call before they'll swap it out.
But then it's not that big of a deal to pack up, so maybe I'll take it with me to BB, which I wasn't planning on doing. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
post #612 of 666 Old 07-27-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
. . .and wow! . .there's not very many left, so I'd better get busy doing it today! Thanks again.
post #613 of 666 Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Might be a really dumb question but just realized something. I have a Sony 75900E tv with this soundbar. I hooked up the soundbar to the hdmi ARC port on my tv. BUT, I have my Apple 4k tv, Xbox One X and Sony PS4 Pro directly hooked up to the sound bar. Is this sound coming through ARC? Would I need to move to the other hdmi port on the tv away from ARC to receive the pure audio from those devices and not ARC?!?!
post #614 of 666 Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
Might be a really dumb question but just realized something. I have a Sony 75900E tv with this soundbar. I hooked up the soundbar to the hdmi ARC port on my tv. BUT, I have my Apple 4k tv, Xbox One X and Sony PS4 Pro directly hooked up to the sound bar. Is this sound coming through ARC? Would I need to move to the other hdmi port on the tv away from ARC to receive the pure audio from those devices and not ARC?!?!
Wish I could help, but I have no idea about that. Wouldn't it depend on which HDMI ports on your tv - can be enabled as 'enhanced' to display the high-quality HDMI signals? Or is that just for video? On our Sony's, the "4K 60p 4:2:0 10bit, 4:4:4, 4:2:2" 'enhanced' high-quality HDMI signals can only be enabled on HDMI ports 2 & 3 ARC.

We were also running everything to soundbar first, but our tv boot-up time was taking forever, and getting longer and longer.
So the BB Geek Squad & DTV tech's both suggested we unplug our DirecTV from the soundbar, and plug it directly into the tv HDMI 1.
The BB Geek Squad guy also suggested we unplug ARC OUT HDMI from soundbar > to tv HDMI 3 ARC, and instead run Optical back down to soundbar. So we did.

But then we didn't have any remote control (w/the DirecTV remote) for volume, or for getting the soundbar to boot-up with the DTV mini server & tv.
So the DTV tech explained that we'd need to keep running the [ARC OUT HDMI from soundbar > to tv HDMI 3 ARC]... to regain volume control, and to have everything boot-up together.

Our tv boot-up time improved a bit, but is still taking what seems like a very long 25~40 seconds. Although strangely, the tv booted-up (video & audio), a few times in just 15~20 seconds, like it did regularly its first six months since install.

So currently we have both ARC & Optical hooked-up to our NT5, but I wasn't sure which way the audio was coming to the soundbar. So I unplugged the Opt cable and audio stops momentarily, before switching audio back to the tv speakers. But after plugging the Opt cable back into soundbar, if I then unplug the HDMI ARC from either tv or soundbar, audio keeps playing. Meaning, as far as I know, if you have both Optical and HDMI ARC hooked up, the audio gets sent to soundbar via the Opt cable.

Question: Are we getting as high a quality of audio through the Optical cable.... as we were getting thru the HDMI ARC? All that ^ to say.... I don't know. But hopefully.

Last edited by WinMod21; 08-02-2018 at 09:45 AM.
post #615 of 666 Old 08-02-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Question: Are we getting as high a quality of audio through the Optical cable.... as we were getting thru the HDMI ARC? All that ^ to say.... I don't know. But hopefully.
Mostly but no. HDMI can transfer more data and in turn more capable of higher quality audio.

You haven't switched yours out yet? All of the stuff they're telling you to do are band-aid fixes.
post #616 of 666 Old 08-02-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Mostly but no. HDMI can transfer more data and in turn more capable of higher quality audio.

You haven't switched yours out yet? All of the stuff they're telling you to do are band-aid fixes.
Thanks for that info.
We ordered another one last week, and it just arrived at the store today. Btw, they just dropped the price again last night, to $320.

We did so because the Geek Squad guy wouldn't order one for us, he said, until we brought our NT5 in for them to bench test. I told him that they (the NT5's) seemed to be going/selling-out rather fast due to the then current $350 price, and that we were concerned there might not be any left after they got thru bench-testing our NT5 (for a possibly ARC-to-Motherboard circuitry issue or whatever).

The GS guy said not to worry, that although the stores were selling-out of NT5's pretty fast, he was sure they'd still be able to order us one from their regional warehouse. But we decided not to trust him or take a chance. So we ordered one and plan to pick it up tonight, carefully unpack it and try it out -- w/our tv, at our location/situation. Then, if the [ARC / slow tv & audio boot-up issue] goes away we'll keep it and return our orig NT5.
But if not, then the [ARC / slow tv & audio boot-up issue] I guess would likely be in the tv? And we sure don't want to take th tv in for a BB benchtest...where it can get scratched and scuffed up.

The only other thing we haven't done, is replace the DTV coax line ---which has 2 'barrel connector' couplers, inline, between the coax splicer on outside of house--- running to the tv/room in question.
post #617 of 666 Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm a recent buyer of a clearance HT-NT5. Impressed thus far but am encountering an issue with it that I didn't with it's predecessor (HT-CT770 moved upstairs). I have it hooked up to Samsung NU8000 and have a DirecTV Genie running through it (not through the TV). I can select Dolby Audio from the DirecTV settings but it reverts to Standard Audio everytime I shut everything off and turn back on. Is there a setting I'm missing or are both the DirecTV Genie and Sony soundbar selecting the correct/best audio setting?
post #618 of 666 Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 View Post
I'm a recent buyer of a clearance HT-NT5. Impressed thus far but am encountering an issue with it that I didn't with it's predecessor (HT-CT770 moved upstairs). I have it hooked up to Samsung NU8000 and have a DirecTV Genie running through it (not through the TV). I can select Dolby Audio from the DirecTV settings but it reverts to Standard Audio everytime I shut everything off and turn back on. Is there a setting I'm missing or are both the DirecTV Genie and Sony soundbar selecting the correct/best audio setting?
We have DirecTV Genie as well, and our NT5 is hooked up to Sony X900E, but it stays on 'Dolby Audio'.
The only time ours reverted back to 'Standard Audio' was when I had a new Genie mini client installed and activated, at said tv last week, but the DTV tech who did the new mini client install & system check told me ---as he went to audio settings to reset to 'Dolby Audio'--- that that was standard when a new server is installed & activated. But he didn't mention anything about the setting sometimes reverting back to 'standard audio.'
I would suggest you contact DTV tech support.
post #619 of 666 Old 08-03-2018, 04:18 PM

Btw, the Amazon & BestBuy prices dropped to $350. last weekend, then to $320 on 1 August. Apparently not too many left at BB.

Oddly, Crutchfield still has them at $800 !

Last edited by WinMod21; 08-03-2018 at 04:43 PM.
post #620 of 666 Old 08-03-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
We have DirecTV Genie as well, and our NT5 is hooked up to Sony X900E, but it stays on 'Dolby Audio'.
The only time ours reverted back to 'Standard Audio' was when I had a new Genie mini client installed and activated, at said tv last week, but the DTV tech who did the new mini client install & system check told me ---as he went to audio settings to reset to 'Dolby Audio'--- that that was standard when a new server is installed & activated. But he didn't mention anything about the setting sometimes reverting back to 'standard audio.'
I would suggest you contact DTV tech support.

Thanks. I'll have to give them a call. It is definitely an issue between the Genie and the soundbar. I unplugged from the soundbar and connected directly to the TV and the setting would stay. On the bright side, if DirecTV is unable to fix, I couldn't tell a difference in sound between Dolby and Standard.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #621 of 666 Old 08-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lots of good information in this thread. Because of the current big discount at BB, I'm leaning toward this soundbar instead of the highly regarded Samsung MS650 soundbar [at $459, possibly available at $329, the high end of my budget] or, way downmarket, the Vizio sb3621. Can anyone compare for me the music reproduction of the HT-NT5 vs. the Sammy MS650? I think I know the answer (favoring Sony), but welcome thoughts. This is for a small city apartment setup (12x12 or so living room] under a TLC 55" HDTV. I know neither will match music via an amp or receiver and quality bookshelf speakers (I'm an old Klipsch studio monitor guy), but for this setup a soundbar is what I can do.

On the connections front: I see conflicting opinions, some favoring (1) plugging everything into the HDTV (cable/sat, blu-ray player, game controller, for those who do) via HDMI, with only an optical link to the soundbar. Others (2) pitch using the ARC HDMI to patch the soundbar to the HDTV monitor, and other sources via HDMI into the soundbar. Any thoughts on the pros and cons for either when using the HD-NT5?
post #622 of 666 Old 08-04-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDiesel View Post
Lots of good information in this thread. Because of the current big discount at BB, I'm leaning toward this soundbar instead of the highly regarded Samsung MS650 soundbar [at $459, possibly available at $329, the high end of my budget] or, way downmarket, the Vizio sb3621. Can anyone compare for me the music reproduction of the HT-NT5 vs. the Sammy MS650? I think I know the answer (favoring Sony), but welcome thoughts. This is for a small city apartment setup (12x12 or so living room] under a TLC 55" HDTV. I know neither will match music via an amp or receiver and quality bookshelf speakers (I'm an old Klipsch studio monitor guy), but for this setup a soundbar is what I can do.

On the connections front: I see conflicting opinions, some favoring (1) plugging everything into the HDTV (cable/sat, blu-ray player, game controller, for those who do) via HDMI, with only an optical link to the soundbar. Others (2) pitch using the ARC HDMI to patch the soundbar to the HDTV monitor, and other sources via HDMI into the soundbar. Any thoughts on the pros and cons for either when using the HD-NT5?
Your option 2: running all HDMI's to/thru the soundbar, then only HDMI OUT ARC > to tv (per 'Yes' in step 2 of Sony's 'Startup Guide') worked perfect for us for 6 months, with no issues whatsoever, (except for when we installed ZR5's - which we then somehow figured-out had to be Bravia Sync List 'enabled' etc). Everything booted-up together perfectly, and the Hi-Res sound quality seemed fantastic.
Then I think we might've suffered a power surge spike, maybe, or something, cuz around late May/early June our tv (video & audio) boot-up time suddenly went from 15~20 secs.... to 45~60 secs, which seems like forever. If you've read the abv ^ posts then I'll spare you the details & chronology of issues etc.

Sorry not familiar w/the sammy MS650. And although the sound quality seems really nice with the HT-NT5 ---especially when you add a couple wireless rear surrounds, like the Sony SRS-ZR5's, which go on sale occasionally for $120/ea--- we're considering returning ours due to the suspected ARC /slow tv boot-up issue that no one seems to be able to find remedy for.

PROS: Works groovy, fabulous & Skookum! . . .when it works.

CONS: Seems to have ARC issues somewhere along the line, eventually, for most users. Then, like us, you have to connect Opt cable as well, which doesn't remedy the slow tv boot-up time, whether due to or not due to a power spike.

So we're currently considering something along these lines: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDIS6M0/ref=emc_b_5_t
....or the R200DB.

Be sure to also read all the 'Critical Reviews' at amazon on the HT-NT5 ! As well all the 'Critical Reviews' at BestBuy.

Last edited by WinMod21; 08-04-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #623 of 666 Old 08-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Your option 2: running all HDMI's to/thru the soundbar, then only HDMI OUT ARC > to tv (per 'Yes' in step 2 of Sony's 'Startup Guide') worked perfect for us for 6 months, with no issues whatsoever, (except for when we installed ZR5's - which we then somehow figured-out had to be Bravia Sync List 'enabled' etc). Everything booted-up together perfectly, and the Hi-Res sound quality seemed fantastic.
Then I think we might've suffered a power surge spike, maybe, or something, cuz around late May/early June our tv (video & audio) boot-up time suddenly went from 15~20 secs.... to 45~60 secs, which seems like forever. If you've read the abv ^ posts then I'll spare you the details & chronology of issues etc.

Sorry not familiar w/the sammy MS650. And although the sound quality seems really nice with the HT-NT5 ---especially when you add a couple wireless rear surrounds, like the Sony SRS-ZR5's, which go on sale occasionally for $120/ea--- we're considering returning ours due to the suspected ARC /slow tv boot-up issue that no one seems to be able to find remedy for.

PROS: Works groovy, fabulous & Skookum! . . .when it works.

CONS: Seems to have ARC issues somewhere along the line, eventually, for most users. Then, like us, you have to connect Opt cable as well, which doesn't remedy the slow tv boot-up time, whether due to or not due to a power spike.

So we're currently considering something along these lines: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDIS6M0/ref=emc_b_5_t
....or the R200DB.

Be sure to also read all the 'Critical Reviews' at amazon on the HT-NT5 ! As well all the 'Critical Reviews' at BestBuy.
Good points, WinMod; and the critical reviews are certainly that. May explain why this $799 list soundbar is available for $319. In a soundbar, reliability with video inputs are certainly important. I just wonder if using it via my option (1) optical line from the soundbar to the HDTV, other inputs into the TV, and controlling with a universal [as I do with Infinity remotes on other setups], will allow me to (1) control volume and (2) switch from 'movie' to 'music' configs, without the gremlins. In this apartment set-up, I'm not adding surround speakers.

Certainly encourages me to look carefully at the Sammy .......
WinMod21 likes this.
post #624 of 666 Old 08-04-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDiesel View Post
Good points, WinMod; and the critical reviews are certainly that. May explain why this $799 list soundbar is available for $319. In a soundbar, reliability with video inputs are certainly important. I just wonder if using it via my option (1) optical line from the soundbar to the HDTV, other inputs into the TV, and controlling with a universal [as I do with Infinity remotes on other setups], will allow me to (1) control volume and (2) switch from 'movie' to 'music' configs, without the gremlins. In this apartment set-up, I'm not adding surround speakers.

Certainly encourages me to look carefully at the Sammy .......
When we pulled all HDMI's (DirecTV-IN, Blu-ray-IN, and ARC OUT to TV) from soundbar, and plugged them all straight to tv (like you're wondering about doing), and then per your option (1)... ran only Opt cable from tv > to soundbar ... we had sound, but two new problems: 1) while we had sound, the onscreen vol display (OSD) would appear (when we pressed on DTV remote) and go up & down -/+, but the volume wouldn't actually change. 2) the NT5 wouldn't turn-on - when trying to turn everything ---the DTV server, soundbar, and tv--- on together, as we typ do, with the DTV remote 'all on' button.

So we then had to ---whilst keeping the Opt cable connected--- also run the HDMI cable back to soundbar [ fr tv HDMI ARC > to soundbar HDMI ARC OUT ], which then restored the volume OSD and adjust-ability, as well as enabling everything to boot-up together, although the NT5 has an odd 10 sec delay in turning-on, after tv. Anyway, that's our current situation.

I think I might've once read somewhere that the HT-NT5 does provide very good high-quality, hi-res audio, that your neighbors won't mind too much; or maybe that your neighbors would have designed or engineered, or something like that.
Maybe here - * beware of jazz music type - ridiculous, flowery, convoluted verbiage *

Last edited by WinMod21; 08-04-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #625 of 666 Old 08-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
If your devices are connected directly into the HT-NT5 then no the sound is not sent to the TV to be passed back through ARC. The soundbar process the sound part of the signal and passes the video to the TV for display.

ARC comes into play for your built-in apps and for any device connected directly into the TV.
post #626 of 666 Old 08-05-2018, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
If your devices are connected directly into the HT-NT5 then no the sound is not sent to the TV to be passed back through ARC. The soundbar process the sound part of the signal and passes the video to the TV for display.

ARC comes into play for your built-in apps and for any device connected directly into the TV.

Thank you!!!
post #627 of 666 Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is There any one who used this product personally and share honest reviews?
post #628 of 666 Old 08-06-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose C. Wright (Robert) View Post
Obviously most everyone here who've posted on this thread have all "used this product personally". But maybe you think we're being dishonest? If you want "honest reviews" . . . .then maybe you should try reading this discussion thread from its beginning, in June 2016. Btw, this is foremost a discussion thread, of which also includes "reviews" interspersed here and there. So I suggest you try reading the thread from its beginning. That, and the numerous professional "reviews" that can be found throughout the www.
post #629 of 666 Old 08-06-2018, 11:37 AM

Reviewing the HT-NT5 posts, and discussions of the Sammy MS-650, in light of the room [city apartment, 12x12 room, 8+ foot ceiling] and likely use, I'm now leaning toward the Q Acoustics M 4, a very straigtforward 2.0 soundbar, which you connect via optical to the HDTV. It, like the Sammy, gets positive reviews for music reproduction, though it foregoes the surround sound and HDMI bells and whistles. I'm a fan of all that in other settings, but here, with the primary users not into booming bass and movie surround sound, I expect this may be the best solution. I'm concerned the HDMI ARC issues are more trouble than they are worth in this set-up. I might do a test, ordering the Sammy and Q Acoustics from Amazon and listening to both, returning whichever comes in second to the listening/viewing test. The problems folks have had with the HT-NT5 put me off. If I like the Q, I can always add a wired sub later in this setup if the bass falls short for movies.

I'll post my impressions once I decide and install. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences with the HT-NT5.
post #630 of 666 Old 08-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose C. Wright (Robert) View Post
Yes, I have used the HT-NT5 for about 2 years and added the SR-5 rear surrounds about 6 months ago.

The fact that I felt good enough about the HT-NT5 to drop another $200 to get rear surround should tell you that I was pretty satisfied with my soundbar.

Review:
Use in a 18x14 multi-purpose room. The sound more than fills the space. The Bass is not for "bassheads" and I cannot disagree with other that call it a bit weak, I have my bass turned up to max. I listen to some of the Sirius music channels and it works fairly well, I also connect to my NAS to play music from there. Not as good as a discrete system but definitely worth a listen. There is no ATMOS support but you know that.

ARC functions well for the built in apps and I use the built in HDMI switch on the HT-NT5 for my external devices. The switch definitely support 4K HDR pass-through, not sure about Dolby Vision.

For the current discounted prices with a set of SR-5 rear speakers I would definitely recommend.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e
Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player
Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier
Sony PS-4

You will have to decide for yourself how honest my review is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page