Yamaha Announces YSP-2700 7.1-Channel Soundbar - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 60 Old 07-05-2016, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 424 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8810 Post(s)
Liked: 15467
Yamaha Announces YSP-2700 7.1-Channel Soundbar

Yamaha practically invented the high-performance multi-channel soundbar over a decade ago with the release of the 5.1-channel YSP-1. What makes Yamaha's soundbars special if they offer surround-sound capability from one box by using an array of "beam drivers" that are contained within the soundbar chassis and allow it to bounce sound off walls as well as the ceiling. Now, the company has announced its latest soundbar, the 7.1-channel YSP-2700 ($1200).

Yamaha uses an array of drivers and wall reflections to create surround-sound.

The YSP sound projector technology used in the YSP-2700 consists of a 16 "beam drivers," each powered by a discrete 2-watt amp, that allow it to bounce sound off walls for 7.1-channel surround-sound. An included cube-shaped wireless subwoofer (75 watts, 5.5-inch cone) provides the bass. The 37.1" (W) x 2.04" (H) x 5.62" (D) chassis has a low profile, so it won’t block the screen when placed in front of a TV.

The YSP-2700 is scheduled to ship this September. Based on my past experience with Yamaha's YSP soundbars, I expect it to be a solid performer. As long as you have the right type of room (you need four parallel walls to get the full effect) the surround sound it produces is enveloping.

The three HDMI inputs and one output support HDCP 2.2 and 4K/60p video. The YSP-2700 is also a MusicCast device, which gives it a wide array of capabilities when it comes to wireless music streaming. It supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Apple Airplay, and is capable of both transmitting and receiving Bluetooth. Furthermore, multiple MusicCast devices can be combined into a multi-room system and controlled with the MusicCast iOS or Android app.

Inputs and outputs of the YSP-2700.

To learn more, visit Yamaha's website by clicking here.
freeman4, Mattopotamus and e03179 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-07-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 07-07-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2062 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
I understand the convenience of a soundbar, but when you start looking at $1000+ you can get a much better 3.0 or 2.1 set up. I guess there is enough of a market for this product to exist, but I just want to meet these people spending this kind of money on a soundbar! Get some bookshelf speakers and a center channel RAWR.
imagic likes this.
post #3 of 60 Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 424 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8810 Post(s)
Liked: 15467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I understand the convenience of a soundbar, but when you start looking at $1000+ you can get a much better 3.0 or 2.1 set up. I guess there is enough of a market for this product to exist, but I just want to meet these people spending this kind of money on a soundbar! Get some bookshelf speakers and a center channel RAWR.
The Yamaha YSP products are as good as it gets for a single-box solution (i.e. no wireless rear surrounds). But I agree discrete speakers and an AVR that can do more are in the same budget. But as far as soundbars go, Yamahas are indeed good options because the YSP technology really does work.

For this particular model, I'd guess a different (and superior) subwoofer would be a good call if your needs demand that you go the soundbar route.
Mattopotamus likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 07-08-2016, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 25
How would Audessy set-up work with this or can it ?
post #5 of 60 Old 07-08-2016, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneypoo69 View Post
How would Audessy set-up work with this or can it ?
The YSP are indeed good. Everyone mention better sound, via a 2.1 or 3.1 system. and that is all true.The caveat being it is the aesthetics, and or the ability, to strew wires everywhere, and hide them, especially if one is looking for a clean setup. It is all based upon what look, budget, room , and keeping the wife happy is all about
SimpleTheater and Merlin521 like this.
post #6 of 60 Old 07-08-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
I've recommend these twice to family/friends where for their situation this was a good solution.
post #7 of 60 Old 07-08-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 2818
Quote:
If it's not a 5.1 set up then you have killed the sound field. 3.0 is just a big version of stereo, which makes no sense in 2016.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #8 of 60 Old 07-08-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
If it's not a 5.1 set up then you have killed the sound field. 3.0 is just a big version of stereo, which makes no sense in 2016.
We will just have to disagree here. I'll take a "big version" of stereo over a poor 5.1 any day of the week.
hingerson, Phrehdd and hpp8140 like this.
post #9 of 60 Old 07-11-2016, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
It would seem to me that you'd have to have a pretty ideal room setup for this to work. Unless you're in a perfect rectangle with bare walls, this won't produce the desired effect. I've never had an ideal room so I've never cared for the pseudo-surround. I prefer the upfront big stereo. Big stereo plays pretty big, much bigger up from than any sound bar I've heard. But to each his own I suppose.

Last edited by tucker3434; 07-11-2016 at 07:02 AM.
post #10 of 60 Old 07-11-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 2818
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
It would seem to me that you'd have to have a pretty ideal room setup for this to work. Unless you're in a perfect rectangle with bare walls, this won't produce the desired effect. I've never had an ideal room so I've never cared for the pseudo-surround. I prefer the upfront big stereo. Big stereo plays pretty big, much bigger up from than any sound bar I've heard. But to each his own I suppose.
That's Ok for music which is mixed differently than TV and movies. A lot of TV benefits from a sound field, Golf is a prime example. There is more of a you are there quality. It's about subtle things as much as impact. Perfection isn't needed, but you need to break the sound out of it's 2 channel prison. You need the ambience.
Merlin521 likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #11 of 60 Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wow that's crazy nice looking!
post #12 of 60 Old 07-18-2016, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
It would seem to me that you'd have to have a pretty ideal room setup for this to work. Unless you're in a perfect rectangle with bare walls, this won't produce the desired effect.
Theoretically this could be overcome by a sophisticated calibration, with a beam sweeping the room and a microphone mapping the reflections. Practically, that might help a bit but yeah still not going to cope with open-plan, cluttered or very absorbant rooms.
post #13 of 60 Old 07-21-2016, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Mark, any chance of doing a contrast and compare with say something like Goldenear's SuperCinema 3D Array soundbar?

A top of the line active soundbar compared to a high end passive may lend some food for thought for those that are considering soundbars.
post #14 of 60 Old 07-21-2016, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
For me, it's mostly the Wife Acceptance Factor.

Bookshelf and center channel speakers in the living room are a no-go. I've got a 7.1 system in a dedicated room with floor standing speakers so I can't complain but the living room TV speakers are terrible and I'd like to drastically improve the sound there. I'm actually more interested in the YSP-5600 which looks like it might do a good job for both TV sound and casting music which is on my list of wants but thought I would check this system out too.

So yes, I have the budget for another 5.1 or better system but it just doesn't work in that space (70% wife, 30% the space itself). I think one of these sound projectors may do the job and am going to audition one at home soon.
Merlin521 likes this.
post #15 of 60 Old 07-21-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrimpete View Post
For me, it's mostly the Wife Acceptance Factor.

Bookshelf and center channel speakers in the living room are a no-go. I've got a 7.1 system in a dedicated room with floor standing speakers so I can't complain but the living room TV speakers are terrible and I'd like to drastically improve the sound there. I'm actually more interested in the YSP-5600 which looks like it might do a good job for both TV sound and casting music which is on my list of wants but thought I would check this system out too.

So yes, I have the budget for another 5.1 or better system but it just doesn't work in that space (70% wife, 30% the space itself). I think one of these sound projectors may do the job and am going to audition one at home soon.
Makes complete sense. I don't have a theater room and the GF just accepts the fact the living room TV is also a theater so to speak

I guess I was thinking this was more of a Movie room replacement and not seeing it as a living room soundbar. I forget I am ok the low end around here. Damn you and your theater rooms!!!
post #16 of 60 Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
That would be good for a bedroom TV style system

The "sub" is a mess though, I know the bar does not have high SPL but wished the sub could actually go down into the more entertaining area of bass (below 30Hz)

I understand the market for such a device, something simple to give the effect of surround sound, more output and much better sound quality than TV speakers and just works. Thanks for the info, one day I'll get to hear one and figure out the pros and cons.
post #17 of 60 Old 07-27-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
The design here is really solid, but I'd actually prefer individual LCR speakers with 2D arrays so then the sound could be directed and focused there via DSP to any XYZ coordinate in the room (couch area is the obvious choice).

Not sure how that would all tie in to Atmos because accurately reproduced 3D sound fields are really what I'm interested in. This might be a good DIY inspiring project!

Yamaha has some good engineers working for them. I definitely want to give this a listen. I could go for two line arrays up front, under and over the projector screen and one or two behind. That should be enough to do some interesting room optimizations if not explicit sound redirecting (you need a 2D array to control vertical axis as well). Not sure how focusing the sound through lensing (with tuneable phase you can do all kinds of neat stuff, not just control direction) would be appropriate for multiple listeners though.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 07-27-2016 at 09:11 AM.
post #18 of 60 Old 08-24-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone picked this up yet? thoughts?
post #19 of 60 Old 10-31-2016, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSound86 View Post
Anyone picked this up yet? thoughts?
I'm between this and the YSP-5600.

5600 doesn't do HDR (wth?), so I am leaning towards this one, plus, it comes w/ a sub and is significantly more affordable as a result.
post #20 of 60 Old 10-31-2016, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I can't decide if this would be decent enough for a 15x17 living room with three walls that opens up to the kitchen. I'm might pair it with a Vizio M80 or M70.

It's either this or the Polk American Hifi line but having to run wires is a turn off.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
post #21 of 60 Old 10-31-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoakk View Post
I can't decide if this would be decent enough for a 15x17 living room with three walls that opens up to the kitchen. I'm might pair it with a Vizio M80 or M70.

It's either this or the Polk American Hifi line but having to run wires is a turn off.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
mine is same situation and about the same size. Think I'm going to give it a go.
post #22 of 60 Old 10-31-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurob12 View Post
mine is same situation and about the same size. Think I'm going to give it a go.
Cool, can't wait to hear your feedback!
post #23 of 60 Old 10-31-2016, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do Sound projectors work with acoustically transparent screens?

Hi,

I have a 2700 and absolutely love the surround effect it gives. I get proper rear effects on my set up. Just wanted to know if these will work if an acoustically transparent screen is placed in front. I'm getting a projector in December and can't walk or ceiling mount a screen so I've been looking at these AT portable pull up screens.

Oly
post #24 of 60 Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Scott View Post
Hi,

I have a 2700 and absolutely love the surround effect it gives. I get proper rear effects on my set up. Just wanted to know if these will work if an acoustically transparent screen is placed in front. I'm getting a projector in December and can't walk or ceiling mount a screen so I've been looking at these AT portable pull up screens.

Oly
Mind sharing the details on your room layout? Are you using the included sub or a different one? How does the soundbar and sub compare to other systems you've had or have listened too?
post #25 of 60 Old 11-05-2016, 12:13 PM

haven't pulled the trigger yet. Concerned about the open layout since the room opens into kitchen. I'm oh so close, just wish there was someone with this layout and an Xbox One S that could share their experience ....

Edit: bought it yesterday for < $1000 from jet. Should be here next week. Pretty excited.

Last edited by psurob12; 11-18-2016 at 06:27 AM.
post #26 of 60 Old 11-26-2016, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurob12 View Post
haven't pulled the trigger yet. Concerned about the open layout since the room opens into kitchen. I'm oh so close, just wish there was someone with this layout and an Xbox One S that could share their experience ....

Edit: bought it yesterday for < $1000 from jet. Should be here next week. Pretty excited.

am also in same situation. I was initially planning to buy bose SoundTouch 300, but it has only one 4k passthrough. so i was looking at this. it is quite impressive, but in my gameroom(which am planning to add a tv to make it a media room), one oneside have wall with windows, other side, i have half wall which leads to a open area. Not sure if this will be effective in such layout.

Can someone help with their thoughts on this?

Thanks.
post #27 of 60 Old 11-26-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaker_18 View Post
am also in same situation. I was initially planning to buy bose SoundTouch 300, but it has only one 4k passthrough. so i was looking at this. it is quite impressive, but in my gameroom(which am planning to add a tv to make it a media room), one oneside have wall with windows, other side, i have half wall which leads to a open area. Not sure if this will be effective in such layout.

Can someone help with their thoughts on this?

Thanks.
I'll let you know soon. Arrived yesterday but I haven't set it up yet. Tonight (if I don't fall asleep) or tomorrow....lol
post #28 of 60 Old 11-27-2016, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Interested to hear people's thoughts. Was looking at the Bose soundtouch 300, but the lack of DD+ & DTS-HD support caused me to hold off.
post #29 of 60 Old 11-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I got one and am pretty impressed. Not the same as trude's 5.1 of course but pretty darn good. You can adjust for your particular room situation. Take a look at the manual. Music is good tow but of course not nearly as much stereo affect as tower or bookshelf speakers places further apart.
Its odd and kind of canine to hear sounds behind you when there are no speakers behind you. it doesn't need a perfect room. You can do the initial setup then adjust it for your particular room. Never thought I'd be using a sound bar...
post #30 of 60 Old 11-27-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCyclist View Post
I got one and am pretty impressed. Not the same as trude's 5.1 of course but pretty darn good. You can adjust for your particular room situation. Take a look at the manual. Music is good tow but of course not nearly as much stereo affect as tower or bookshelf speakers places further apart.
Its odd and kind of canine to hear sounds behind you when there are no speakers behind you. it doesn't need a perfect room. You can do the initial setup then adjust it for your particular room. Never thought I'd be using a sound bar...
Thanks so much for the input! Your experiences and feedback are greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
soundbar , Yamaha , ysp-2700

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page