Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1429Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3361 of 4987 Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Member
 
WizeGuyDezignz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonParrot View Post
Could you please explain what you had to do to change it? Going to purchase the new XBox One X but only short before Christmas when the prices drop - kind of.
But I've got the same 'problem' with my Amazon Fire TV. Effects don't work while they do so with my Sky receiver.



I absolutely agree - despite the problems I had until I got them solved.
With help from people here, you can't use effects when Atmos is engaged. What I did was change the Xbox sound settings to Dolby Digital or DTS and then you can use the effects.
WizeGuyDezignz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3362 of 4987 Old 12-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hiredgoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nuck Land
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
With help from people here, you can't use effects when Atmos is engaged. What I did was change the Xbox sound settings to Dolby Digital or DTS and then you can use the effects.
But a reminder, you lose Atmos audio from the xbox if you do this.

Atmos with no sound settings on this soundbar, is far superior than DD/DTS with sound settings available.
WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
Hiredgoon is offline  
post #3363 of 4987 Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Member
 
WizeGuyDezignz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
But a reminder, you lose Atmos audio from the xbox if you do this.

Atmos with no sound settings on this soundbar, is far superior than DD/DTS with sound settings available.
I totally agree, which is why I ended up just keeping Atmos on in my Xbox One X sound settings lol. I just wanted to play with the effects and see what they were all about.

With that being said, this actually leads me to my next question. When I'm playing a non-Atmos Blu-ray disc through my Xbox One X, what do you suggest for the best sound out of this soundbar?

My girlfriend wanted to watch the Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray this weekend, but it has a DTS track. I believe it is DTS 7.1 Master Audio or something like that. When I started the movie, I didn't get Atmos (blue light or message on the display) from the soundbar like I do when we watch U-verse TV. With U-verse I know it's not actually Atmos, but like you said, it fakes it and makes it sound damn good! Why isn't it doing that with non-Atmos Blu-ray discs?

When I changed my Xbox sound settings to DTS, the movie didn't sound quite as good to me. I changed the Xbox sound settings to DTS since I figured that's what the Blu-ray disc track was. Once I did that I messed with some of the effects. When I put it on the movie effect, it didn't sound too bad but I had to crank up the volume a lot to get it to a listenable level. I also tried the surround sound setting and it made things louder but I'm not sure I got all of the effects of the track and the rears didn't seem to engage as much.

Any ideas for non-Atmos Blu-ray discs with my Xbox One X? Just leave my Xbox One X sound settings on Atmos?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by WizeGuyDezignz; 12-11-2017 at 11:01 AM.
WizeGuyDezignz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3364 of 4987 Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hiredgoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nuck Land
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
I totally agree, which is why I ended up just keeping Atmos on in my Xbox One X sound settings lol. I just wanted to play with the effects and see what they were all about.

With that being said, this actually leads me to my next question. When I'm playing a non-Atmos Blu-ray disc through my Xbox One X, what do you suggest for the best sound out of this soundbar?

My girlfriend wanted to watch the Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray this weekend, but it has a DTS track. I believe it is DTS 7.1 Master Audio or something like that. When I started the movie, I didn't get Atmos (blue light or message on the display) from the soundbar like I do when we watch U-verse TV. With U-verse I know it's not actually Atmos, but like you said, it fakes it and makes it sound damn good! Why isn't it doing that with non-Atmos Blu-ray discs?

When I changed my Xbox sound settings to DTS, the movie didn't sound quite as good to me. I changed the Xbox sound settings to DTS since I figured that's what the Blu-ray disc track was. Once I did that I messed with some of the effects. When I put it on the movie effect, it didn't sound too bad but I had to crank up the volume a lot to get it to a listenable level. I also tried the surround sound setting and it made things louder but I'm not sure I got all of the effects of the track and the rears didn't seem to engage as much.

Any ideas for non-Atmos Blu-ray discs with my Xbox One X? Just leave my Xbox One X sound settings on Atmos?

Thanks for any help!

I just leave mine in Atmos mode all the time. Sounds good to me, even if it's up-mixed. I was under the impression that the xbox up-mixed all audio sources including blu-ray.

If it's not upmixing from from standard blu-ray, i would assume it uses the discs default audio codec?
WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
Hiredgoon is offline  
post #3365 of 4987 Old 12-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Member
 
WizeGuyDezignz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
I just leave mine in Atmos mode all the time. Sounds good to me, even if it's up-mixed. I was under the impression that the xbox up-mixed all audio sources including blu-ray.

If it's not upmixing from from standard blu-ray, i would assume it uses the discs default audio codec?
I'm honestly not sure. I just figured that even if it was up-mixing, wouldn't the Atmos blue light come on like it does with other non-Atmos sources? When you play a standard Blu-ray is your Atmos light coming on?

Like I said, even though I know my U-verse TV isn't Atmos, the Atmos light still comes on and it does a good job up-mixing it. I just assumed it would do that on other non-Atmos sources as well, but it didn't do it with that Blu-ray.

Yeah, I'm guessing it would use the discs default audio codec too. This is getting confusing with that damn blue light lol.
WizeGuyDezignz is offline  
post #3366 of 4987 Old 12-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hiredgoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nuck Land
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
I'm honestly not sure. I just figured that even if it was up-mixing, wouldn't the Atmos blue light come on like it does with other non-Atmos sources? When you play a standard Blu-ray is your Atmos light coming on?

Like I said, even though I know my U-verse TV isn't Atmos, the Atmos light still comes on and it does a good job up-mixing it. I just assumed it would do that on other non-Atmos sources as well, but it didn't do it with that Blu-ray.

Yeah, I'm guessing it would use the discs default audio codec too. This is getting confusing with that damn blue light lol.

I will have to test a blu-ray on mine to make sure.

Side note, I noticed the xbox spotify app sometimes did not activate the blue atmos light, until I went into the dolby app to force atmos on.

Might just be a bug/glitch?
WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
Hiredgoon is offline  
post #3367 of 4987 Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Member
 
WizeGuyDezignz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
I will have to test a blu-ray on mine to make sure.

Side note, I noticed the xbox spotify app sometimes did not activate the blue atmos light, until I went into the dolby app to force atmos on.

Might just be a bug/glitch?
Ok, definitely let me know what you find out bro. I will be interested to hear how yours reacts to a non-Atmos disc.

Hmm, I'll check the app too and see if that helps anything.

Thanks for the help!
WizeGuyDezignz is offline  
post #3368 of 4987 Old 12-12-2017, 06:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For people with LG OLED 2016 models, I understand there is no way to get ATMOS from Netflix or anything from the TV directly (no arc support from neither the TV nor the K950). Is that correct?
Also, if we buy another device linked with HDMI to the soundbar, there is ATMOS but no more Dolby Vision, correct?
If true, this soundbar seems useless for people with LG OLED TVs.
Gearter is offline  
post #3369 of 4987 Old 12-12-2017, 07:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearter View Post
For people with LG OLED 2016 models, I understand there is no way to get ATMOS from Netflix or anything from the TV directly (no arc support from neither the TV nor the K950). Is that correct?
Also, if we buy another device linked with HDMI to the soundbar, there is ATMOS but no more Dolby Vision, correct?
If true, this soundbar seems useless for people with LG OLED TVs.
Well @meles in his post https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...l#post55290712 did a trick and I've tested it myself on my OLEDC7P. It is definitely improving the sound. You can try the trick.
fida is offline  
post #3370 of 4987 Old 12-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thank you, however this workaround is rather complex and only works for LG 2017 models (switching speakers settings every time before & after opening Netflix would not be a satisfying solution anyway in my opinion).
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to be a very bad product for LG OLED 2016 owners:
- this soundbar allows ATMOS only from an external source (no TV apps or live TV). Even if solved, 2016 LG TVs cannot send ATMOS over ARC/HDMI.
- no Dolby Vision support with anything connected to this soundbar.

One way or the other, we are screwed from the start with this setup: we get either ATMOS or Dolby Vision but never both.
fida likes this.

Last edited by Gearter; 12-12-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Gearter is offline  
post #3371 of 4987 Old 12-12-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearter View Post
Thank you, however this workaround is rather complex and only works for LG 2017 models (switching speakers settings every time before & after opening Netflix would not be a satisfying solution anyway in my opinion).
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to be a very bad product for LG OLED 2016 owners:
- this soundbar allows ATMOS only from an external source (no TV apps or live TV). Even if solved, 2016 LG TVs cannot send ATMOS over ARC/HDMI.
- no Dolby Vision support with anything connected to this soundbar.

One way or the other, we are screwed from the start with this setup: we get either ATMOS or Dolby Vision but never both.
You've answered your own question then. If you want DV and Atmos this isn't the right soundbar for you. I happen to agree with you that there are too many hoops to jump through in the attempt to make it work. I would suggest something different, but I don't think LG even has a soundbar that does it that also has rear speakers.

This sounds like the ideal time to wait for the 2018 stuff to start coming out to see if the issue is addressed with newer equipment.

Lloyd
lparsons21 is offline  
post #3372 of 4987 Old 12-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by fida View Post
Thanks for this trick. I'll be trying this out with my C7 today. Is there a list of Atmos titles available on Netflix? I know one Okja.
I just confirmed all this with a friend last night with my 2017 LG OLED with the latest firmware. You'll never get the light to go blue. Just have unit off when starting and it will display Vision/Atmos or Atmos depending on the title. Then power on the soundbar and you'll be getting Atmos. This works for netflix and vudu. Also works for my Apple TV to get 24bit sound from files played via Infuse app. If you plug Blu-ray player in to LG rather than hdmi1 or hdmi2 on bar it will work, but not much purpose for this other than for testing and comparing sound. Properly setup bluray player will trigger blue light via hdmi 1 or 2 as benchmark. Then you can hook through 2017 LG and do the startup in Atmos with bar off so tv shows atmos and then turn on soundbar. The key when coming in, etc. is to make sure the Atmos identifier comes up before you turn on soundbar.

Interestingly, the new Apple TV could be plugged directly into hdmi 1 or 2 for 24 bit playback, but the Apple TV with newest firmware won't switch to 24hz automatically for movies and you get motion artifacts. You can manually correct this in settings, but much easier to do the cha cha tweak through LG and hdmi/arc where automatic output selection works with the LG. Of course plugging the Apple TV into hdmi 1 or 2 of the K950 will kill Dolby vision from it to the LG.

Netflix Atmos titles:
Wheelman excellent
Dark Season 1
Death Note is Vision and Atmos
Punisher season 1 - vision and atmos

(with your soundbar off if you cruise through Ultra HD 4K section it will show titles with Atmos.)
Haven't listened to Punisher, but the rest are reference quality. The beginning of Wheelman stands out as your auditory perspective is from the back seat of a car even with some dialogue outside the car between the two characters onscreen. The walking around the car testing the shocks is very cool.

On Vudu, Man of Steel is an all out Atmos assault of the senses.
fida likes this.
meles is offline  
post #3373 of 4987 Old 12-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
I just confirmed all this with a friend last night with my 2017 LG OLED with the latest firmware. You'll never get the light to go blue. Just have unit off when starting and it will display Vision/Atmos or Atmos depending on the title. Then power on the soundbar and you'll be getting Atmos. This works for netflix and vudu. Also works for my Apple TV to get 24bit sound from files played via Infuse app. If you plug Blu-ray player in to LG rather than hdmi1 or hdmi2 on bar it will work, but not much purpose for this other than for testing and comparing sound. Properly setup bluray player will trigger blue light via hdmi 1 or 2 as benchmark. Then you can hook through 2017 LG and do the startup in Atmos with bar off so tv shows atmos and then turn on soundbar. The key when coming in, etc. is to make sure the Atmos identifier comes up before you turn on soundbar.

Interestingly, the new Apple TV could be plugged directly into hdmi 1 or 2 for 24 bit playback, but the Apple TV with newest firmware won't switch to 24hz automatically for movies and you get motion artifacts. You can manually correct this in settings, but much easier to do the cha cha tweak through LG and hdmi/arc where automatic output selection works with the LG. Of course plugging the Apple TV into hdmi 1 or 2 of the K950 will kill Dolby vision from it to the LG.

Netflix Atmos titles:
Wheelman excellent
Dark Season 1
Death Note is Vision and Atmos
Punisher season 1 - vision and atmos

(with your soundbar off if you cruise through Ultra HD 4K section it will show titles with Atmos.)
Haven't listened to Punisher, but the rest are reference quality. The beginning of Wheelman stands out as your auditory perspective is from the back seat of a car even with some dialogue outside the car between the two characters onscreen. The walking around the car testing the shocks is very cool.

On Vudu, Man of Steel is an all out Atmos assault of the senses.
I've tried Okja and Punisher, and I've observed a definite difference. However, I was not powering off the soundbar, but instead, I was selecting the sound output from the speakers to get the Atmos label (on the top right corner) from the TV. Then I would change the sound settings to ARC but turning off soundbar and turning on is more accessible than going through the sound settings.

I'll try Wheelman today using turning off and turning on the soundbar.
meles likes this.
fida is offline  
post #3374 of 4987 Old 12-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by fida View Post
I've tried Okja and Punisher, and I've observed a definite difference. However, I was not powering off the soundbar, but instead, I was selecting the sound output from the speakers to get the Atmos label (on the top right corner) from the TV. Then I would change the sound settings to ARC but turning off soundbar and turning on is more accessible than going through the sound settings.

I'll try Wheelman today using turning off and turning on the soundbar.
My wireless surround is in such a position that I can hear a difference in what is coming out of the top speakers by putting my ear over them (must remind myself not to do this during shooting range scenes in American Sniper.) I'm not sure if this ear test is fully definitive with these speakers.

I have an Oppo 205 just coming out of the box now. Maybe I can get it to cough up some information, but somehow I don't think its input hdmi will work with HDMI/ARC.
meles is offline  
post #3375 of 4987 Old 12-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Newbie
 
fabarati's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Scurr View Post
For those of you like me that have this soundbar plugged into their PC and Windows only showing it as a Stereo device it seems like Dolby/Windows broke it with the latest update for their Dolby Access app.

It was working fine for me but now it just shows as Stereo in Windows. Tried different drivers and everything to no avail. Weirdly it works just fine if I try to play the demos on the Dolby Access app but anything outside of that is a dud...

Response from Dolby CS

Greetings Nick,

Thank you for writing in to Dolby Support.

I apologize for the inconvenience that you are experiencing. Our team has been made aware of this issue, and we are working with our partners to find a solution. Please check our website frequently for updates.

Thank you for your patience and a have a wonderful day.
The Dolby Support Team
I am one of those. It has always shown up as stereo for me, but I did manage to get Netflix on PC to bitstream Atmos. It requires two HDMI ports, and the Netflix app for Windows 10. You connect one to the speaker, as sound out, and the other to the TV as video out (video from the HDMI on my nvidia gpu, audio out from the Intel motherboard HDMI port).

That way, you also get full RGB 4:4:4 2160p video, instead of the limited 4:2:2 (IIRC) the soundbar passes through, and no Netflix DRM issues either. Both bluray rips and bluray discs pass through Atmos this way as well. Well, as long as you're using MPC HC/LAV filters and turn on bitstreaming.

When browsing Netflix, you can't see which titles are Atmos, but the blue light lights up and you get the Dolby Atmos text scroll and when checking A/V Stats, you get Atmos bitrate 448 kbps (as opposed to 384 kbps for DD 5.1 or 192 kbps for DD+, which also is supported).

Making sure everything is on the right channel is also a bit jank, but it works
Drowsy likes this.
fabarati is offline  
post #3376 of 4987 Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Max Rockatansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Has anyone tried pairing this bar with a standalone AV receiver? I know this sounds stupidly redundant. The reason I ask is that I'm having issues getting my 4K switch to work properly and now I have even more 4K peripherals in the theater. So I just bought a Sony STRDN1080 Dolby Atmos AVR that has six 2.2 HDMI inputs and was planning to run video straight out to the TV and sound out to the K950.

Anyone else done this?
jeep05 likes this.

~ MAX
Sony XBR-65Z9D 4K TV | Sony STR-DN1080 AVR | Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray | NVIDIA Shield TV | PlayStation 4 Pro | Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer Andrew Jones Design: SP-C22 Center Channel/4x SP-BS22A-LR Dolby Atmos Bookshelf/SW-8MK2 Subwoofer
Max Rockatansky is offline  
post #3377 of 4987 Old 12-13-2017, 07:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Maybe I am not doing something right, but after multiple test, i have a suspicion that the K950 does allow 4k pass through but not HDR pass through. Here is my setup...M9500 4k player to HDMI 1 on soundbar and MU8500 TV on ARC. doing this I never see the HDR logo on my TV settings...If I use both HDMI outputs from my M9500, i take audio only and connect to HDMI 1 on soundbar and directly connect the other HDMI out to the television then I see HDR, sometimes it shows HDR+ Or just HDR.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_171133.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	2330024   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_175511.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2330026   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_175508.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	634.5 KB
ID:	2330028   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_171136.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2330030  
George Carrillo is offline  
post #3378 of 4987 Old 12-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Unfortunately I can't answer any of the previous questions but have to add another one:
My system is running rather smoothly, now, aso would I have any advantages by integrating
my HW-K 950 into my my WiFi if dont plan to create a multiroom sytem
In addition, I'm afraid of an automatic firmware update as I heard a lot of bad things about
the latest firmware version, 3114. What can I do to avoid an automatic firmware update if I
integrate HW-K 950 into my WiFi, assumed doing so makes sense.

Thanks a lot in advance.
DonParrot is offline  
post #3379 of 4987 Old 12-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Member
 
WizeGuyDezignz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
I will have to test a blu-ray on mine to make sure.

Side note, I noticed the xbox spotify app sometimes did not activate the blue atmos light, until I went into the dolby app to force atmos on.

Might just be a bug/glitch?
Hey bro, did you find anything out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonParrot View Post
Unfortunately I can't answer any of the previous questions but have to add another one:
My system is running rather smoothly, now, aso would I have any advantages by integrating
my HW-K 950 into my my WiFi if dont plan to create a multiroom sytem
In addition, I'm afraid of an automatic firmware update as I heard a lot of bad things about
the latest firmware version, 3114. What can I do to avoid an automatic firmware update if I
integrate HW-K 950 into my WiFi, assumed doing so makes sense.

Thanks a lot in advance.
You can connect to your wifi and use the app and not get automatic updates. I'm not at home to check exactly where in the app settings it is, but there is a check box to turn off automatic updates.
WizeGuyDezignz is offline  
post #3380 of 4987 Old 12-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thumbs up

That's good to hear. Thanks. Just have to be fast enough to prevent the soundbar from acquiring the update.
DonParrot is offline  
post #3381 of 4987 Old 12-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Member
 
nmspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonParrot View Post
That's good to hear. Thanks. Just have to be fast enough to prevent the soundbar from acquiring the update.
I think you should be able to disconnect your router from the internet (cable modem etc)... and then connect the app to the soundbar and set it up to talk to your wifi. Then turn off automatic updates in the app, and reconnect your internet access... That way you don't have to worry about doing it fast enough!
nmspace is offline  
post #3382 of 4987 Old 12-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
Has anyone tried pairing this bar with a standalone AV receiver? I know this sounds stupidly redundant. The reason I ask is that I'm having issues getting my 4K switch to work properly and now I have even more 4K peripherals in the theater. So I just bought a Sony STRDN1080 Dolby Atmos AVR that has six 2.2 HDMI inputs and was planning to run video straight out to the TV and sound out to the K950.

Anyone else done this?

Ok, you got my attention. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to know as well.
jeep05 is offline  
post #3383 of 4987 Old 12-13-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Ok, you got my attention. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to know as well.
In theory it should work, essentially making it an expensive HDMI switch. I'll be interested to see if someone tries to do it.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Lloyd
lparsons21 is offline  
post #3384 of 4987 Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Ok, you got my attention. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to know as well.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
In theory it should work, essentially making it an expensive HDMI switch. I'll be interested to see if someone tries to do it.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk
Since you have it, why not give it a shot?
jeep05 is offline  
post #3385 of 4987 Old 12-13-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Since you have it, why not give it a shot?
I've got the soundbar but not the AVR. And in my case, I don't need it.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Lloyd
lparsons21 is offline  
post #3386 of 4987 Old 12-14-2017, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
I've got the soundbar but not the AVR. And in my case, I don't need it.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Sorry @lparsons21 , I meant to quote Max.
jeep05 is offline  
post #3387 of 4987 Old 12-14-2017, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hiredgoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nuck Land
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Hey bro, did you find anything out?



You can connect to your wifi and use the app and not get automatic updates. I'm not at home to check exactly where in the app settings it is, but there is a check box to turn off automatic updates.
Unfortunately I did not get a chance to test a blu-ray. I have a newborn who takes most of the time up. The only time I did have I got my harmony remote working perfectly.

Disabling ARC is the fix on this sound bar for all equipment, thanks to some savvy people here for that. I had to do some nutty work around to get HDMI 1 to switch properly.

Is there a simple way to setup devices on HDMI1 and HDMI 2 to switch the inputs on this bar? Anyone want to let me know how their activities for the HDMI1 worked ?

Last edited by Hiredgoon; 12-14-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Hiredgoon is offline  
post #3388 of 4987 Old 12-14-2017, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,501
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
So if I turn off all CEC on all devices and use optical, how does the Harmony control the volume, as this does not seem to work properly?

I setup the Harmony Smart control to use the samsung k950 to adjust the volume, but from my limited time troubleshooting, it looked like the k950 did not receive discrete IR signals to change the volume.

Please tell me i am wrong with the discrete IR signals on the k950, as I have not been able to make them work reliably with the harmony.
h
You would put the codes from the sound bar into the Harmony and tell the Harmony that the volume for all devices goes to the sound bar instead of TV. When using CEC/ARC you probably had then codes for the TV and that is fine for controlling volume with CEC/ARC. The K950 has its own volume codes. The bad part about not using CEC/ARC is you lose the on screen volume but you gain reliability in switching and turning devices on/off.
jeep05 likes this.
Ellebob is offline  
post #3389 of 4987 Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Amazing: today I tried - just as I had nothing else to do - to once again connect my Sky Pro receiver to the Xbox One X - and all of the sudden, Sky also is played in Atmos.
Fantastic. Now I just need a splitter or matrix that is able to use different formats on different exits as my wireles transmitter for the TVs in the other rooms only can handle Full HD .
jeep05 likes this.
DonParrot is offline  
post #3390 of 4987 Old 12-14-2017, 06:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmspace View Post
I think you should be able to disconnect your router from the internet (cable modem etc)... and then connect the app to the soundbar and set it up to talk to your wifi. Then turn off automatic updates in the app, and reconnect your internet access... That way you don't have to worry about doing it fast enough!
Thanks. That's a good advice.
DonParrot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Tags
4096x2160 , HW-K850 , HW-K950 , hwk950 , Samsung , samsung soundbar , soundbar

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off