Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1429Likes

post #4621 of 4987 Old 11-24-2018, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have the 4 year Best Buy Geek Squad plan on my K950. Do you think if I wen't in and tried to "return-exchange" I could upgrade to the N950? Just paying the difference, with my issue being the constant rear drop outs. Anyone tried anything like this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4987 Old 11-24-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt85 View Post
I have the 4 year Best Buy Geek Squad plan on my K950. Do you think if I wen't in and tried to "return-exchange" I could upgrade to the N950? Just paying the difference, with my issue being the constant rear drop outs. Anyone tried anything like this? Thanks
I'm in a similar situation. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
post #4623 of 4987 Old 11-24-2018, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I'm in a similar situation. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
I didn’t get the plan on my K950, otherwide I would have tried dumping it for sure with all the HDMI handshake issues Ive had with it... Great bar when it works tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4624 of 4987 Old 11-25-2018, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm on the newest firmware and having issues with Xbox ATMOS. I've got my TiVo mini connected to the Xbox One S, with Bitstream, ATMOS selected. The Xbox is connected directly to the K950 and detects ATMOS. There is virtually no sound coming from either of the rear speakers. Update: It seems I forgot a setting in the Xbox under TV & OneGuide where input is Dolby Digital rather than Stereo. Everything is working!

Second question. I have an Apple TV and the soundbar switches without issue when I select something with the ATV remote. What's the best WAF method for switching inputs between the ATV and Xbox/Tivo - both connected to K950. Multiple remotes? Harmony Smart Control (which I own, but not currently setup).

Any input is greatly appreciated.

-Chris

Last edited by cmeinck; 11-25-2018 at 03:25 PM.
post #4625 of 4987 Old 11-25-2018, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm so tired to never now if the soundbar is on or of. Use mine to PC and the bar shout down after some minute when no sound comes out from my PC.

My setup:
PC to TV and sound from ARC. HDMI 1 and 2 = Xbox and Shield.

I hate Samsung for this and why? nobody like it (okej after a our or two but not a minute or two)!

I have try the AUX trick but no luck.
post #4626 of 4987 Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jensen 2 View Post
I'm so tired to never now if the soundbar is on or of. Use mine to PC and the bar shout down after some minute when no sound comes out from my PC.

My setup:
PC to TV and sound from ARC. HDMI 1 and 2 = Xbox and Shield.

I hate Samsung for this and why? nobody like it (okej after a our or two but not a minute or two)!

I have try the AUX trick but no luck.
Per the Manual page 27 if no audio activity:

BT,D.IN/ARC and AUX mode unit powers off in 5 mins.

HDMI 1/ HDMI 2 mode 15 minutes
post #4627 of 4987 Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Okay... so I may be a complete moron here, and I am cool with that. Haha. So confused by this set up. I have a K950... had the K850 but wildfires and things took that one down. If connecting to a Sony Bravia 900E and Amazon Fire Cube. What should I connect and where for Atmos? Sorry I feel bad asking, but I see so many different answers and would love a definitive response.

Thanks! My previous set up probably wasn't right either, but now that we had to buy new items might as well do it the right way. BTW I bought the k950 used that is why I didn't get the N950.
post #4628 of 4987 Old 12-12-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 87
1. You can connect the Cube to the 950 and the. The 950 to the tv via hdmi. That will give you Atmos if the source material has Atmos.

2. If you want Atmos on all source material then you need an Xbox One and get the Dolby Experience app. That way you’ll get real Atmos on source material and faked Atmos on everything else.

If you plug in the Cube to the Xbox you lose 4K as the input doesn’t support it. But you could use the various streaming apps on the Xbox with good results.

3. Finally you could add a device to split audio and video. Out of that the audio hdmi would go to the Xbox and the video straight to the tv. See some previous posts for devices to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lloyd
post #4629 of 4987 Old 12-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks. And use the standard HDMI on both the TV and Soundbar... not the HDMI ARC? Is that the consensus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
1. You can connect the Cube to the 950 and the. The 950 to the tv via hdmi. That will give you Atmos if the source material has Atmos.

2. If you want Atmos on all source material then you need an Xbox One and get the Dolby Experience app. That way you’ll get real Atmos on source material and faked Atmos on everything else.

If you plug in the Cube to the Xbox you lose 4K as the input doesn’t support it. But you could use the various streaming apps on the Xbox with good results.

3. Finally you could add a device to split audio and video. Out of that the audio hdmi would go to the Xbox and the video straight to the tv. See some previous posts for devices to do that.

post #4630 of 4987 Old 12-12-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Right, standard hdmi sound. The 950 doesn’t support Atmos over arc at all.

Lloyd
post #4631 of 4987 Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeqon View Post
Thanks. And use the standard HDMI on both the TV and Soundbar... not the HDMI ARC? Is that the consensus?
Quote:
Right, standard hdmi sound. The 950 doesn’t support Atmos over arc at all.

You need to use the TV's ARC connection if you want to receive audio from your TV not just AV from the Cube. Just be advised that the ARC signal will not include Atmos. Good luck rebuilding your life.
post #4632 of 4987 Old 12-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Okay, I know I'm real late to this party, and I've done a fair amount of research due diligence on this thread, but I'm not experiencing what people have been saying about the inability to have both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos run at the same time, because I do.

My Setup
4K Apple TV
Samsung HW-K950
LG OLED55B7P

4KATV HDMI-Out --> K950 HDM2-In
K950 HDMI-Out (TV-ARC) --> LG OLED HDMI2-In (ARC)

With this setup, I am able to fire-up content with both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos from the Netflix App on my ATV, and I do in fact get both Dolby Vision video and Dolby Atmos sound. How do I know? Because I've got the Apple developer HUD (via Xcode) up and running on the screen listing all the video specs in real time, one of which is clearly "Dolby Vision". I also know Atmos is working because the blue light on the side of the soundbar lights up.

I sent my soundbar back to Samsung a couple of months ago and they changed out the control board as well as the HDMI connections. Any chance I ended with updated versions of either? E.g. HDMI 2.0a?

Any thoughts? Thx!!
post #4633 of 4987 Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syvalley View Post
Okay, I know I'm real late to this party, and I've done a fair amount of research due diligence on this thread, but I'm not experiencing what people have been saying about the inability to have both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos run at the same time, because I do.

My Setup
4K Apple TV
Samsung HW-K950
LG OLED55B7P

4KATV HDMI-Out --> K950 HDM2-In
K950 HDMI-Out (TV-ARC) --> LG OLED HDMI2-In (ARC)

With this setup, I am able to fire-up content with both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos from the Netflix App on my ATV, and I do in fact get both Dolby Vision video and Dolby Atmos sound. How do I know? Because I've got the Apple developer HUD (via Xcode) up and running on the screen listing all the video specs in real time, one of which is clearly "Dolby Vision". I also know Atmos is working because the blue light on the side of the soundbar lights up.

I sent my soundbar back to Samsung a couple of months ago and they changed out the control board as well as the HDMI connections. Any chance I ended with updated versions of either? E.g. HDMI 2.0a?

Any thoughts? Thx!!
Sounds like you won the lottery and got the HDMI connectors from the new N950. Can you also get Atmos over ARC now? What firmware are you running?
post #4634 of 4987 Old 12-14-2018, 07:51 AM

Okay, So I connected the soundbar from HDMI 1 on the soundbar to HDMI 1 on the Sony Bravia. I didn't get any sound. Tried turning the TV to external speakers and still nothing. HDMI ARC to HDMI ARC gives sound but of course no ATMOS. The Fire TV cubes should support ATMOS on Amazon Programming and the TV itself should support ATMOS on VUDU and Netflix. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for such a simple question, but I haven't felt this stupid since Organic Chem II.

BTW I am also going to post on the Bravia 900f thread...
post #4635 of 4987 Old 12-14-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, So I connected the soundbar from HDMI 1 on the soundbar to HDMI 1 on the Sony Bravia. I didn't get any sound. Tried turning the TV to external speakers and still nothing. HDMI ARC to HDMI ARC gives sound but of course no ATMOS. The Fire TV cubes should support ATMOS on Amazon Programming and the TV itself should support ATMOS on VUDU and Netflix. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for such a simple question, but I haven't felt this stupid since Organic Chem II.

BTW I am also going to post on the Bravia 900f thread...
YES HDMI ARC to HDMI ARC is the correct way to connect the TV to the Soundbar for get sound from your TV apps (DD+ but w/o Atmos). Connect you FireTV to the Soundbar HDMI 1 for Atmos via the Cube Apps. The only Amazon Prime program that does Atmos currently is Jack Ryan.

Edit: You have to use the soundbar's HDMI ARC connection to your TV to get video and audio no matter whether you connect it to the TVs ARC port or not. I'd suggest connecting to the TVs ARC port if you want to use the TV for any audio.

Last edited by naustin; 12-14-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: sp
post #4636 of 4987 Old 12-14-2018, 11:19 AM

Okay. After all this I final (after about an hour) got through to Samsung support. Basically the TV apps do support ATMOS, but as the ARC does not it is a moot point. I know the Fire TV Cube will support ATMOS on Amazon, but not VUDU or Netflix. SO last question... hopefully. Is X-box the only way to get support for those two options? I wouldn't use the X-Box for gaming so seems a bit of a jump just to get ATMOS sound, if ROKU or another option is out there.

BTW. Thanks again for the help!
post #4637 of 4987 Old 12-14-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay. After all this I final (after about an hour) got through to Samsung support. Basically the TV apps do support ATMOS, but as the ARC does not it is a moot point. I know the Fire TV Cube will support ATMOS on Amazon, but not VUDU or Netflix. SO last question... hopefully. Is X-box the only way to get support for those two options? I wouldn't use the X-Box for gaming so seems a bit of a jump just to get ATMOS sound, if ROKU or another option is out there.

Right now yes for Netflix. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066
Getting Atmos is very difficult on the K850 or K950 if you want more than playing a UHD blu ray disc with an Atmos track. There are workarounds using AV splitters but I don't recommend for novices.
post #4638 of 4987 Old 12-14-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:

I’m using an HD Fury vertex to split audio and video from my FTV and ATV and getting Atmos from both and I don’t have DV yet but when I upgrade my tv it should work cause I am getting full bandwidth for 4K HDR from both also.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Denon X4500H AVR
Klipsch 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos with Martin Logan 1000W SUB
post #4639 of 4987 Old 12-14-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The thing that makes the Xbox so necessary for the K950is that there is an app called Dolby Experience that will give you real Atmos if the source material or a virtualized Atmos if the source doesn’t.

Since you are not a gamer, get the cheapest Xbox One S deal you can find, you won’t regret it.

Lloyd
post #4640 of 4987 Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 AM

I broke down and bought an X-Box One S so that should take care of everything. With the fire and all we didn't have a blu-ray player anyway. Not being a gamer I can probably ebay the Fortnite stuff and not have a pissed off Fiancee. Haha.

Thanks again for the info all!

Quote:
The thing that makes the Xbox so necessary for the K950is that there is an app called Dolby Experience that will give you real Atmos if the source material or a virtualized Atmos if the source doesn’t.

Since you are not a gamer, get the cheapest Xbox One S deal you can find, you won’t regret it.

post #4641 of 4987 Old 12-17-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I broke down and bought an X-Box One S so that should take care of everything. With the fire and all we didn't have a blu-ray player anyway. Not being a gamer I can probably ebay the Fortnite stuff and not have a pissed off Fiancee. Haha.

Thanks again for the info all!

Note that a lot of the streaming apps are available on the Xbox One. I tend to use those as much as possible.

Lloyd
post #4642 of 4987 Old 12-17-2018, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys, I've just bought a K950 and I wondered if anyone running cable tv finds the general (non Atmos) sound a bit flat?I've tried the different effects and whilst they do change things a bit I still find the sound a bit lacking in the mid range and a bit hollow.I have increased the bass settings to plus 3,however they seem to revert back to 0 when the effect button is changed or when the unit is powered down.Is there a way to lock them 'in'?
Also the sound is much better when using the equaliser settings on the app but again even though I set them as a custom option they also revert back to standard settings when powered down.Is there anyway to set them as the default setting?
Playing anything in Atmos from Sky Q (UK USER) or Nvidia shield sounds great but general CABLE is a bit meh.
Also does anyone find the bar sometimes isn't that loud?Had it on the other day turned up to 100max and it honestly wasn't that loud. If it was an Atmos track it would shake the house down that loud!
Don't know if I should change this for the Sony st5000 as iam not too bothered about the Atmos effect as I have Yamaha amp for 'movie nights' just after the best sound for general tv viewing.
I only have five days left to return it.Any hints or suggestions guys?Thanks in advance!
post #4643 of 4987 Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This bar is made for movies and mainly for atmos, the sony is more polyvalent and should give satisfaction with cable tv.
I feel the same as you but i bought it for movies and i don’t even use it with my cable tv.
post #4644 of 4987 Old 12-18-2018, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvdripa1 View Post
Hi guys, I've just bought a K950 and I wondered if anyone running cable tv finds the general (non Atmos) sound a bit flat?I've tried the different effects and whilst they do change things a bit I still find the sound a bit lacking in the mid range and a bit hollow.I have increased the bass settings to plus 3,however they seem to revert back to 0 when the effect button is changed or when the unit is powered down.Is there a way to lock them 'in'?
Also the sound is much better when using the equaliser settings on the app but again even though I set them as a custom option they also revert back to standard settings when powered down.Is there anyway to set them as the default setting?
Playing anything in Atmos from Sky Q (UK USER) or Nvidia shield sounds great but general CABLE is a bit meh.
Also does anyone find the bar sometimes isn't that loud?Had it on the other day turned up to 100max and it honestly wasn't that loud. If it was an Atmos track it would shake the house down that loud!
Don't know if I should change this for the Sony st5000 as iam not too bothered about the Atmos effect as I have Yamaha amp for 'movie nights' just after the best sound for general tv viewing.
I only have five days left to return it.Any hints or suggestions guys?Thanks in advance!
The K950 is a system you have to fiddle with regularly making sure surround mode is on adjusting speaker db settings picking an EQ profile (I like the Jazz one) etc. Selecting an EQ profile will revert the Bass and Treble to defaults and vice versa. You probably should tune the speakers individually to adjust the db levels this setting holds indefinitely. If you want a better Atmos system buy the 2018 model the N950. For non Atmos use there are plenty of less expensive soundbars, but you have to let your ears be the judge. Good luck.

Also PCM will sound louder than DD material. You may need to adjust your cable box audio settings.
post #4645 of 4987 Old 12-18-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassem77 View Post
This bar is made for movies and mainly for atmos, the sony is more polyvalent and should give satisfaction with cable tv.
I feel the same as you but i bought it for movies and i don’t even use it with my cable tv.

With the addition of an Xbox One S or X I found that all tv and movies sound much better.

Lloyd
post #4646 of 4987 Old 12-18-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I own a k950 but I just bought a Nakamichi shockwafe Ultra 9. 2 and it sounds so much better with dolby digital or dts sound. It also sounds really good with my xbox one x and with the arc output ur of my Samsung tv. This soundbar supports dts x and will also receive a dolby Atmos update by the end of the month. Right now it's still 1099 usd at Amazon.com. Check it out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #4647 of 4987 Old 12-18-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassem77 View Post
Hi, yes I totally agree this soundbar comes alive with Atmos.Thanks for the reply
post #4648 of 4987 Old 12-18-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
The K950 is a system you have to fiddle with regularly making sure surround mode is on adjusting speaker db settings picking an EQ profile (I like the Jazz one) etc. Selecting an EQ profile will revert the Bass and Treble to defaults and vice versa. You probably should tune the speakers individually to adjust the db levels this setting holds indefinitely. If you want a better Atmos system buy the 2018 model the N950. For non Atmos use there are plenty of less expensive soundbars, but you have to let your ears be the judge. Good luck.

Also PCM will sound louder than DD material. You may need to adjust your cable box audio settings.
You're right i'll keep adjusting the levels/effects in the hope I can find something i'am happy with.Thanks for the reply.
post #4649 of 4987 Old 12-18-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
With the addition of an Xbox One S or X I found that all tv and movies sound much better.

Thanks for the reply, I might try adding the Xbox into the mix.
post #4650 of 4987 Old 12-18-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
I own a k950 but I just bought a Nakamichi shockwafe Ultra 9. 2 and it sounds so much better with dolby digital or dts sound. It also sounds really good with my xbox one x and with the arc output ur of my Samsung tv. This soundbar supports dts x and will also receive a dolby Atmos update by the end of the month. Right now it's still 1099 usd at Amazon.com. Check it out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hi, I looked at the reviews of the Nakamichi shockwafe Ultra 9. 2 and would be tempted.However its not available in the UK and the shipping and custom charges would be eye watering!Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
4096x2160 , HW-K850 , HW-K950 , hwk950 , Samsung , samsung soundbar , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page