Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1429Likes

post #4951 of 4987 Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung HW-K850 keeps turning off watching tv via AT&T U-Verse box

Hi everyone,

My Samsung HW-K850 is driving me nuts! Watching tv through an AT&T U-verse box, the soundbar turns off several times all by itself while watching tv. If I watch content via my Nvidia Shield the soundbar never shuts off.

Both boxes are connected via an HDMI switcher, then to the HDMI 2 on the soundbar, then to an LG 4K tv.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4987 Old 03-22-2020, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dornier View Post
Hi everyone,

My Samsung HW-K850 is driving me nuts! Watching tv through an AT&T U-verse box, the soundbar turns off several times all by itself while watching tv. If I watch content via my Nvidia Shield the soundbar never shuts off.

Both boxes are connected via an HDMI switcher, then to the HDMI 2 on the soundbar, then to an LG 4K tv.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Did you have your U-verse paused when your K850 shut itself off?

The K850 will do a power save shutdown if it detects no audio. Some devices or apps don’t send a silent “keep alive” audio signal when paused.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - SVS PB12-NSD 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #4953 of 4987 Old 03-22-2020, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post
Did you have your U-verse paused when your K850 shut itself off?

The K850 will do a power save shutdown if it detects no audio. Some devices or apps don’t send a silent “keep alive” audio signal when paused.
Hi,

No, I was actively watching and never paused live TV. I decided to time the intervals when it turns off. Turns out that it turns off every 20 minutes. Like clockwork. Weird how it only occurs with the U-verse box and not the Nvidia shield.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4954 of 4987 Old 03-22-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornier View Post
Hi,

No, I was actively watching and never paused live TV. I decided to time the intervals when it turns off. Turns out that it turns off every 20 minutes. Like clockwork. Weird how it only occurs with the U-verse box and not the Nvidia shield.

Thanks!
Sounds like a sleep mode function with U-verse. 20 minutes doesn’t match with any of the Samsung settings.

LG 86UH9500
post #4955 of 4987 Old 03-29-2020, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung HWK-950 Issues

Hi all,

I've got the Samsung HWK950 soundbar with the two back speakers. I have had a number of issues with these since purchasing and wondering if anyone has experienced the same and knows a fix.

1. Rear speakers barely produce a sound even when maxed
2. Sub Woofer is very subtle even when maxed
3. Dolby Atmos does not work as advertised. Have connected to ARC and tested with Dolby Atmos demo's/movies
4. Latest issue – Soundbar does not produce sound through the TV now. Only works through bluetooth. I have an LG-OLED tv model lg 55eg960t.

I've tried contacting Samsung Support but they are very little help.

Big thanks to all!
Mike
post #4956 of 4987 Old 03-30-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossontherocks View Post
1. Rear speakers barely produce a sound even when maxed
2. Sub Woofer is very subtle even when maxed
Could be a few different things going on here.

Sub and rears might not be sync’d. Try completely unplugging everything from power and replugging. When replugging, start with sub, then rears, then sound bar.

There might be wireless interference. Try temporarily shutting off any 5ghz routers, wifi, Orbi mesh and similar.

Try setting sound mode to Sports. That will upmix everything to 5.1.4 and give decent volume. Also max out your rear speaker and sub levels for testing.

Try using DTS, DD+, and/or TrueHD sources when testing.

Check for sound directly at the sub in case the sub is ok, but sub position is giving a null at the listening position.

Quote:
3. Dolby Atmos does not work as advertised. Have connected to ARC and tested with Dolby Atmos demo's/movies
K950 does not do Atmos over ARC. Try using a blue-ray player connected to sound bar HDMI 1 or 2. Make sure player is set to bitstream with SAP off. Play a blue-ray and make sure the TrueHD Atmos track is selected.

If you have an Nvidia Shield, the Vudu app has a free Dolby Atmos demo in DD+ that you can try.

If you have a PC, load the Dolby Access app and try the demo trailers. They are in DD+ and should work. The app itself may or may not work for Atmos and upmixing for other PC sound. Depends on app, drivers, and Windows release versions.

Quote:
4. Latest issue – Soundbar does not produce sound through the TV now. Only works through bluetooth. I have an LG-OLED tv model lg 55eg960t.
Double check your CEC/Simplink settings on the LG and sound bar. You might need to unplug all HDMI, delete detected devices from your LG, disable and reenable CEC, replug everything, and try again.

Check the LG sound settings regarding HDMI ARC and optical. I remember they could be tricky, especially in combination with Simplink/CEC.

LG 86UH9500
post #4957 of 4987 Old 04-01-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Could be a few different things going on here.

Sub and rears might not be sync’d. Try completely unplugging everything from power and replugging. When replugging, start with sub, then rears, then sound bar.

There might be wireless interference. Try temporarily shutting off any 5ghz routers, wifi, Orbi mesh and similar.

Try setting sound mode to Sports. That will upmix everything to 5.1.4 and give decent volume. Also max out your rear speaker and sub levels for testing.

Try using DTS, DD+, and/or TrueHD sources when testing.

Check for sound directly at the sub in case the sub is ok, but sub position is giving a null at the listening position.

K950 does not do Atmos over ARC. Try using a blue-ray player connected to sound bar HDMI 1 or 2. Make sure player is set to bitstream with SAP off. Play a blue-ray and make sure the TrueHD Atmos track is selected.

If you have an Nvidia Shield, the Vudu app has a free Dolby Atmos demo in DD+ that you can try.

If you have a PC, load the Dolby Access app and try the demo trailers. They are in DD+ and should work. The app itself may or may not work for Atmos and upmixing for other PC sound. Depends on app, drivers, and Windows release versions.

Double check your CEC/Simplink settings on the LG and sound bar. You might need to unplug all HDMI, delete detected devices from your LG, disable and reenable CEC, replug everything, and try again.

Check the LG sound settings regarding HDMI ARC and optical. I remember they could be tricky, especially in combination with Simplink/CEC.
Hey ntxoa,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, nothing worked. It still does not play through the TV. I have tried multiple HDMI cables, factory resets, re-syncing the sub and speakers, powering off and on, resetting the SIMPLINK options and nothing has worked. The strange thing is, it was working for a month after getting the TV and suddenly just stopped working without me changing anything.

Now it only plays when connected to bluetooth.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks heaps!
post #4958 of 4987 Old 04-02-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I have the K950 which works fine, but here are a few oddities I’ve run across as I made the move to all streaming.

Streaming apps that are all VOD like Netflix, Amazon Prime and others tend to have at least 5.1 audio. Live streaming apps are all just doing stereo with the exception of ATT TV which has some 5.1.

Using the AppleTV things are pretty good for the audio. If using a stereo source then the Dolby Surround functions of the K950 are there and give a much better rendition IMO. Using the FireTV Cube, that doesn’t happen unless you set the Cube to Dolby Digital only audio, selecting best available will use DD Plus which won’t allow the soundbar to use the Dolby effects.

The most irritating of the boxes I’ve used is the Xbox One with Dolby Experience app. Before I went to all streaming it was my go to box as the faked Atmos was so nice. But that faked Atmos doesn’t work with the stereo from the live streaming apps, you just get stereo. The oddity in the mix of apps is Hulu. Most of Hulu is just stereo but yet when going into the Hulu app Atmos kicks on and does its thing with whatever you are playing on Hulu. Wish the other apps worked that way.

Things would be easier if Samsung had made changing inputs a discrete command instead of needing to step through to get the input you need.
jeep05 and Viscious82 like this.

Lloyd
post #4959 of 4987 Old 04-05-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Anything else I can try?

Thanks heaps!
No guarantees, but:

If you haven’t already, go to the LG menu that brings up the apps across the bottom of the screen.

Go to Device Connector.

Delete all devices, especially Home Theater and Sound Bar.

Disconnect your Samsung from the tv.

Restart everything.

Plug the Samsung into the LG HDMI ARC.

Redo Device Connector for the sound bar.

Goto LG sound settings.

For Sound Out, select Optical/HDMI.

Turn on Simplink.

Back out of the Settings menus.

Go to Inputs.

Go to All Inputs.

Make sure your HDMI/ARC shows up and shows your Samsung device connected.

If that doesn’t help, try going to the LG settings, All Settings, General, Reset to Initial Settings.

Reset there and start over with the tv and sound bar.

Also, if you have an optical cable plugged in to your tv/K950, completely remove it. I think I read about someone having a problem with it confusing the tv or the Samsung DI.

LG 86UH9500

Last edited by ntxoa; 04-05-2020 at 08:10 PM.
post #4960 of 4987 Old 04-06-2020, 12:07 AM

Hey ntxoa,

Thanks again. I've gone through all steps and reset the LG tv to factory settings.

No luck. But what I've noticed is that when going to the all input screen, there is no mention of my Samsung soundbar being connected. HDMI 2 which is in this case is the ARC has no signal.
post #4961 of 4987 Old 04-06-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Hey ntxoa,

Thanks again. I've gone through all steps and reset the LG tv to factory settings.

No luck. But what I've noticed is that when going to the all input screen, there is no mention of my Samsung soundbar being connected. HDMI 2 which is in this case is the ARC has no signal.
So with the Samsung output directly connected to the LG HDMI 2, and both powered on, can you:

Go to All Inputs.

Select HDMI 2.

Select Set Up Universal Control.

Then do the Device Connector selection.

You might have to try both Home Theater and Sound Bar to see if one works better.

LG 86UH9500
post #4962 of 4987 Old 04-06-2020, 03:54 PM

Unfortunately it's not working. The home theatre option didn't work as it treats the input as a media box. Not sure what else to try here =/ I'm almost tempted to buy yet another HDMI cable even though I've tried 2 now.
post #4963 of 4987 Old 04-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately it's not working. The home theatre option didn't work as it treats the input as a media box. Not sure what else to try here =/ I'm almost tempted to buy yet another HDMI cable even though I've tried 2 now.
Do you have some other device plugged into the sound bar inputs?

I notice with all my stuff connected, my LG sees an Oppo 203.

If so, how about temporarily powering off and/or disconnecting everything except the LG and Samsung.

Then in your LG sound settings, do the same stuff as before with ARC and Simplink, and setting the output to the HDMI. Make sure CEC is enabled on the Samsung too.

Other than that, I have no clues.

LG 86UH9500
post #4964 of 4987 Old 04-14-2020, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had planned on upgrading my system this year. I currently have the K950 and thought there should be something better.

What I’m finding is that in soundbars there have been improvements, unfortunately all of the newer designs seem to have pretty serious issues. Some more serious than the quirks of the K950.

So then I thought I would look at going to an AVR and speaker setup because so many have said that is much better and more versatile with audio. I think they are spot on. But even today wireless rear speakers that will work with and AVR are scarcer than hen’s teeth! And you can forget about wireless Atmos ready speakers, if they exist I cannot find where or from who.

I was using my Xbox One because of the Dolby Experience app, but unfortunately lots of streaming services are only doing stereo which the app doesn’t massage. Well, not in a good way now! Used to work OK with no real issue, but some update along the way now gives you a slight irritating echo to stereo sources. So the Xbox is languishing and I’ve gone to the AppleTV4K for all my streaming as it puts out a signal that will allow the K950 to fake surround.
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
post #4965 of 4987 Old 04-14-2020, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
I had planned on upgrading my system this year. I currently have the K950 and thought there should be something better.

What I’m finding is that in soundbars there have been improvements, unfortunately all of the newer designs seem to have pretty serious issues. Some more serious than the quirks of the K950.

So then I thought I would look at going to an AVR and speaker setup because so many have said that is much better and more versatile with audio. I think they are spot on. But even today wireless rear speakers that will work with and AVR are scarcer than hen’s teeth! And you can forget about wireless Atmos ready speakers, if they exist I cannot find where or from who.

I was using my Xbox One because of the Dolby Experience app, but unfortunately lots of streaming services are only doing stereo which the app doesn’t massage. Well, not in a good way now! Used to work OK with no real issue, but some update along the way now gives you a slight irritating echo to stereo sources. So the Xbox is languishing and I’ve gone to the AppleTV4K for all my streaming as it puts out a signal that will allow the K950 to fake surround.
Hi Lloyd, I've kinda been in the same boat even though my 950 has been performing fairly well even with it's few quirks. Biggest beef I have with it is it's limited number of HDMI ports as well as no support for DTS-X. Even with that, i'll most likely keep it for a while longer as replacing it right now would be tough financially, plus, I hate to go back to having to deal with wires and bulky speakers. At my age, it isn't fun. Anyhow, I do miss the versatility of a dedicated system. I miss that punchy bass from my previous system. For streaming, I also use my ATV4K and it does a decent job video and audio wise into the 950. For my 4K discs, I run a Panasonic UB420 thru the K950 and it sounds awesome.
post #4966 of 4987 Old 04-14-2020, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jeep05,

Yeah, for versatility it is hard to beat an AVR/speaker setup. But I went for the soundbar because rear wired speakers would be a real PITA to do. I’m 76 and lots of things I used to do are either not doable or painful, having a bad ticker doesn’t help either!

I keep tossing the idea of using a 9.2 AVR as a pre-processor to feed the K950 but I can’t figure out if it would work. I mean is the HDMI out on the AVR the massaged audio at pre-amp levels or is it something else? And with no speakers attached to the AVR how would you tell it how you wanted the channels configured?

You’d think by now someone would have rear surround that are wireless and AVRs that could support them since they’ve been doing them with some soundbar setups for a fairly long time.
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
post #4967 of 4987 Old 04-14-2020, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Jeep05,

Yeah, for versatility it is hard to beat an AVR/speaker setup. But I went for the soundbar because rear wired speakers would be a real PITA to do. I’m 76 and lots of things I used to do are either not doable or painful, having a bad ticker doesn’t help either!

I keep tossing the idea of using a 9.2 AVR as a pre-processor to feed the K950 but I can’t figure out if it would work. I mean is the HDMI out on the AVR the massaged audio at pre-amp levels or is it something else? And with no speakers attached to the AVR how would you tell it how you wanted the channels configured?

You’d think by now someone would have rear surround that are wireless and AVRs that could support them since they’ve been doing them with some soundbar setups for a fairly long time.
Yep, on the age factor, i'm approaching 70 myself and the wiring and speakers would definitely be a PITA now. As for using a 9.2 AVR for the processing, I asked this question on several occasions on AVS and was basically told it wouldn't work or be practical. I don't know why it wouldn't, but at the same time, i'm not savvy enough to figure it out.
post #4968 of 4987 Old 04-14-2020, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Yep, on the age factor, i'm approaching 70 myself and the wiring and speakers would definitely be a PITA now. As for using a 9.2 AVR for the processing, I asked this question on several occasions on AVS and was basically told it wouldn't work or be practical. I don't know why it wouldn't, but at the same time, i'm not savvy enough to figure it out.

I’m tempted to just buy an AVR from a place I can return it to and fiddle with it to see if it will do what I want. Connections and testing would be in my wheelhouse, attic crawling and anything that makes me get down on my hands and knees isn’t!
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
post #4969 of 4987 Old 04-14-2020, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’m tempted to just buy an AVR from a place I can return it to and fiddle with it to see if it will do what I want. Connections and testing would be in my wheelhouse, attic crawling and anything that makes me get down on my hands and knees isn’t!
Sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out. I'd do it but mama says "Ain't Happening"
post #4970 of 4987 Old 04-14-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Biggest beef I have with it is it's limited number of HDMI ports as well as no support for DTS-X.
[...]
I miss that punchy bass from my previous system.
This switcher works well for connecting more devices.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Locating the sub directly behind the seating area can help with the bass.

The newer Samsung bars, N950 & Q90, do DTS:X.

LG 86UH9500
post #4971 of 4987 Old 04-15-2020, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out. I'd do it but mama says "Ain't Happening"

Well after digging around all over the place I can’t find a reason it wouldn’t work, but I also can’t figure out how you would configure the audio channels on any AVR I read about. Talking about reading the actual manuals.

And then I started looking at 9.2 AVRs with all the newest bells and whistles. WOW! Those prices! Just not worth it. If I were to upgrade for the prices I’m seeing it sure wouldn’t be another soundbar setup.

And newer soundbar setups similar but better than the 950 cost a lot more than I paid for my 950 and the problems they seem to be having with them doesn’t make me warm and fuzzy.
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
post #4972 of 4987 Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
HW - K850, Sony x930e, One X, PS4 Pro

Noob here...I've been doing a lot of research over setting up my TV properly with all of the best bells and whistles I can have.

Currently, I have a Sony XBR65x930e, connected via HDMI 3 (ARC) to a Samsung HW - K850 Soundbar. I would like my Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro to have the absolute best video and audio output...I followed calibration settings I found on this forum, and now am super confused about the audio. I did try searching, both here and the net in general, and I am just confused, so I apologize if am repeating questions left and right. Here we go...

In order to use the best Dolby/DTS that my soundbar, TV, and consoles support, do I have to plug them directly in to the soundbar? Currently, they run to an HDMI switch that is in HDMI 2. I have read conflicting answers on this.

Audio wise with this set up, does anyone have any advice for the best audio settings for each console?
post #4973 of 4987 Old 04-24-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Gargus View Post
In order to use the best Dolby/DTS that my soundbar, TV, and consoles support, do I have to plug them directly in to the soundbar? Currently, they run to an HDMI switch that is in HDMI 2. I have read conflicting answers on this.

Audio wise with this set up, does anyone have any advice for the best audio settings for each console?
Consoles are good going through a switch to the sound bar HDMI 2. That’s considered direct as opposed to going through the tv and being limited by ARC.

You might be limited to 4k 30hz video on the sound bar. I think that was the spec on my K950. It actually could do up to 45hz, but wouldn’t allow 60hz.

On the Xbox for games and general audio, run the Dolby Access app to allow Atmos and Atmos upmixing. For blu-rays and rips, you don’t the need the Dolby app. Just enable bitstream audio.

I’m not familiar with PSP.

LG 86UH9500
post #4974 of 4987 Old 04-24-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Consoles are good going through a switch to the sound bar HDMI 2. That’s considered direct as opposed to going through the tv and being limited by ARC.

You might be limited to 4k 30hz video on the sound bar. I think that was the spec on my K950. It actually could do up to 45hz, but wouldn’t allow 60hz.

On the Xbox for games and general audio, run the Dolby Access app to allow Atmos and Atmos upmixing. For blu-rays and rips, you don’t the need the Dolby app. Just enable bitstream audio.

I’m not familiar with PSP.
Well, right now the HDMI switch that houses the consoles goes to the TV's HDMI 2, while the sound bar goes to the TV's HDMI 3, which is ARC. Are you saying I won't be able to use Dolby Atmos if I don't feed the consoles directly to the sound bar?
post #4975 of 4987 Old 04-25-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Are you saying I won't be able to use Dolby Atmos if I don't feed the consoles directly to the sound bar?
Correct. K850/950 doesn’t do Atmos over ARC, even if the tv can.

If you have the two consoles and nothing else to plug in, just put one on each of the sound bar HDMI inputs.

Save the switch for something else.

LG 86UH9500

Last edited by ntxoa; 04-25-2020 at 07:22 AM.
post #4976 of 4987 Old 04-25-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Correct. K850/950 doesn’t do Atmos over ARC, even if the tv can.

If you have the two consoles and nothing else to plug in, just put one on each of the sound bar HDMI inputs.

Save the switch for something else.
Thank you so much. Any recommendations for a soundbar that does?
post #4977 of 4987 Old 04-26-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much. Any recommendations for a soundbar that does?
Newer Samsung bars like N950 and Q90 do. Don’t pay list price though. You can get good deals on those.

LG 86UH9500
post #4978 of 4987 Old 04-26-2020, 12:24 PM

Thank you so much! I'll look into those.
post #4979 of 4987 Old 05-15-2020, 03:58 PM

Liked: 11
Question

Hello,

could use some help pulling the trigger on a sound bar.

Wondering whether the HW-K850 without a sub is as good as a HW-MS650 in the bass range?

Was considering the MS650 but stumbled on an used HW-K850 without a sub for half the price.
Thing is subs are not allowed in my building.

Also, noticed the K850 has 2 more speakers firing up, though my ceiling is 10 feet high, so not sure it's gonna do anything either.

As for usage, it will be mostly to play video games from my PC though a 2.1 HDMI cable and watch Netflix from time to time.

(**edit: may also be able to get a HW-N950 sound bar without the subs nor surround speakers for twice the price of the K850 is the MS650's one )

Thanks for you help

Last edited by deewe; 05-15-2020 at 05:09 PM.
post #4980 of 4987 Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewe View Post
Hello,

could use some help pulling the trigger on a sound bar.

Wondering whether the HW-K850 without a sub is as good as a HW-MS650 in the bass range?
Thanks for you help
In my opinion, using a system designed for a sub woofer and not using it is going to cripple the sound. I suggest you read some reviews that discuss the bass on soundbars designed to operate without a sub. Such systems sometimes have ported woofers within the bar itself. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
4096x2160 , HW-K850 , HW-K950 , hwk950 , Samsung , samsung soundbar , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page