Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1417Likes

post #4951 of 4956 Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung HW-K850 keeps turning off watching tv via AT&T U-Verse box

Hi everyone,

My Samsung HW-K850 is driving me nuts! Watching tv through an AT&T U-verse box, the soundbar turns off several times all by itself while watching tv. If I watch content via my Nvidia Shield the soundbar never shuts off.

Both boxes are connected via an HDMI switcher, then to the HDMI 2 on the soundbar, then to an LG 4K tv.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4956 Old 03-22-2020, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dornier View Post
Hi everyone,

My Samsung HW-K850 is driving me nuts! Watching tv through an AT&T U-verse box, the soundbar turns off several times all by itself while watching tv. If I watch content via my Nvidia Shield the soundbar never shuts off.

Both boxes are connected via an HDMI switcher, then to the HDMI 2 on the soundbar, then to an LG 4K tv.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Did you have your U-verse paused when your K850 shut itself off?

The K850 will do a power save shutdown if it detects no audio. Some devices or apps don’t send a silent “keep alive” audio signal when paused.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - SVS PB12-NSD 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #4953 of 4956 Old 03-22-2020, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post
Did you have your U-verse paused when your K850 shut itself off?

The K850 will do a power save shutdown if it detects no audio. Some devices or apps don’t send a silent “keep alive” audio signal when paused.
Hi,

No, I was actively watching and never paused live TV. I decided to time the intervals when it turns off. Turns out that it turns off every 20 minutes. Like clockwork. Weird how it only occurs with the U-verse box and not the Nvidia shield.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4954 of 4956 Old 03-22-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornier View Post
Hi,

No, I was actively watching and never paused live TV. I decided to time the intervals when it turns off. Turns out that it turns off every 20 minutes. Like clockwork. Weird how it only occurs with the U-verse box and not the Nvidia shield.

Thanks!
Sounds like a sleep mode function with U-verse. 20 minutes doesn’t match with any of the Samsung settings.

LG 86UH9500
post #4955 of 4956 Old 03-29-2020, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung HWK-950 Issues

Hi all,

I've got the Samsung HWK950 soundbar with the two back speakers. I have had a number of issues with these since purchasing and wondering if anyone has experienced the same and knows a fix.

1. Rear speakers barely produce a sound even when maxed
2. Sub Woofer is very subtle even when maxed
3. Dolby Atmos does not work as advertised. Have connected to ARC and tested with Dolby Atmos demo's/movies
4. Latest issue – Soundbar does not produce sound through the TV now. Only works through bluetooth. I have an LG-OLED tv model lg 55eg960t.

I've tried contacting Samsung Support but they are very little help.

Big thanks to all!
Mike
post #4956 of 4956 Old 03-30-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossontherocks View Post
1. Rear speakers barely produce a sound even when maxed
2. Sub Woofer is very subtle even when maxed
Could be a few different things going on here.

Sub and rears might not be sync’d. Try completely unplugging everything from power and replugging. When replugging, start with sub, then rears, then sound bar.

There might be wireless interference. Try temporarily shutting off any 5ghz routers, wifi, Orbi mesh and similar.

Try setting sound mode to Sports. That will upmix everything to 5.1.4 and give decent volume. Also max out your rear speaker and sub levels for testing.

Try using DTS, DD+, and/or TrueHD sources when testing.

Check for sound directly at the sub in case the sub is ok, but sub position is giving a null at the listening position.

Quote:
3. Dolby Atmos does not work as advertised. Have connected to ARC and tested with Dolby Atmos demo's/movies
K950 does not do Atmos over ARC. Try using a blue-ray player connected to sound bar HDMI 1 or 2. Make sure player is set to bitstream with SAP off. Play a blue-ray and make sure the TrueHD Atmos track is selected.

If you have an Nvidia Shield, the Vudu app has a free Dolby Atmos demo in DD+ that you can try.

If you have a PC, load the Dolby Access app and try the demo trailers. They are in DD+ and should work. The app itself may or may not work for Atmos and upmixing for other PC sound. Depends on app, drivers, and Windows release versions.

Quote:
4. Latest issue – Soundbar does not produce sound through the TV now. Only works through bluetooth. I have an LG-OLED tv model lg 55eg960t.
Double check your CEC/Simplink settings on the LG and sound bar. You might need to unplug all HDMI, delete detected devices from your LG, disable and reenable CEC, replug everything, and try again.

Check the LG sound settings regarding HDMI ARC and optical. I remember they could be tricky, especially in combination with Simplink/CEC.

LG 86UH9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
4096x2160 , HW-K850 , HW-K950 , hwk950 , Samsung , samsung soundbar , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page