Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1429Likes

post #4981 of 4987 Old 05-16-2020, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Since I’ve gone all streaming, I’ve found that there are limits with the HW-K950 that are really irritating depending on which box I use to get the streaming.

For instance, on the ATT TV Osprey box the output for channels that are DD is DD+. That should be a plus for them, but it isn’t quite. It is very heavy on the front speakers and quite ‘bassy’. I can do some adjustments on the 950 to account for that but then have to do re-adjustments for other source boxes. Irritating!

And for channels in only stereo either the ATT Osprey is signaling a DD+ signal or it is outputting 2 channel PCM. Can’t tell for sure. Either way you can’t massage with ProLogic.

I tried sending the output of the Osprey to the Xbox One with Dolby Experience, and that works very well for 5.1 channels, but not so good for stereo channels since the DE doesn’t affect them either. And sadly, Samsung has quit doing diddly with the K950 so expecting an improvement in this is an effort in futility.

Thanks for letting me complain!!
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 4987 Old 05-16-2020, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
In my opinion, using a system designed for a sub woofer and not using it is going to cripple the sound. I suggest you read some reviews that discuss the bass on soundbars designed to operate without a sub. Such systems sometimes have ported woofers within the bar itself. Good luck.
Indeed did quite some research. Looks like the MS650 doesn't have more or larger speakers, meaning physically the sound bar won't deliver more bass than a K850.

Guess it all depends how K850 the software reacts with the lack of sub.
post #4983 of 4987 Old 05-16-2020, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewe View Post
Hello,

could use some help pulling the trigger on a sound bar.

Wondering whether the HW-K850 without a sub is as good as a HW-MS650 in the bass range?

Was considering the MS650 but stumbled on an used HW-K850 without a sub for half the price.
Thing is subs are not allowed in my building.

Also, noticed the K850 has 2 more speakers firing up, though my ceiling is 10 feet high, so not sure it's gonna do anything either.

As for usage, it will be mostly to play video games from my PC though a 2.1 HDMI cable and watch Netflix from time to time.

(**edit: may also be able to get a HW-N950 sound bar without the subs nor surround speakers for twice the price of the K850 is the MS650's one [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] )

Thanks for you help
The k series without a sub is worthless don’t get fooled, the ms is better.

If you can find an ms-750 it would be a better choice.
naustin and deewe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4984 of 4987 Old 05-16-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewe View Post
Indeed did quite some research. Looks like the MS650 doesn't have more or larger speakers, meaning physically the sound bar won't deliver more bass than a K850.

Guess it all depends how K850 the software reacts with the lack of sub.
Ah, but the MS650 is designed to not have a sub. I'm sure the digital signal processing (DSP) is designed accordingly. The K and N series DSP is designed to operate with a subwoofer. Good luck.
deewe likes this.
post #4985 of 4987 Old 05-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassem77 View Post
The k series without a sub is worthless don’t get fooled, the ms is better.

If you can find an ms-750 it would be a better choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Ah, but the MS650 is designed to not have a sub. I'm sure the digital signal processing (DSP) is designed accordingly. The K and N series DSP is designed to operate with a subwoofer. Good luck.
Thanks guys makes sense. In the hunt for a MS-750 then
naustin likes this.
post #4986 of 4987 Old 05-16-2020, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
But if you want the best without subwoofer, hunt for the ambeo 🙂

Last edited by bassem77; 05-17-2020 at 04:07 AM.
post #4987 of 4987 Old 05-17-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
on the ATT TV Osprey box the output for channels that are DD is DD+. That should be a plus for them, but it isn’t quite. It is very heavy on the front speakers and quite ‘bassy’. I can do some adjustments on the 950 to account for that but then have to do re-adjustments for other source boxes. Irritating!

And for channels in only stereo either the ATT Osprey is signaling a DD+ signal or it is outputting 2 channel PCM. Can’t tell for sure. Either way you can’t massage with ProLogic.
I was moments away from ordering a new soundbar over this issue but thought to try one more thing. Connected the ATT Box to the TV directly, use Optical out to the 950. Since optical won’t pass DD+ it deprecates it to DD5.1. Now all my channels and apps on the ATT box have surround, either actual 5.1 when the material has that, or ProLogic if it doesn’t.

Whew!! Saved myself about $1500 because I just knew that if I ordered a new setup it would be the Nakamichi Ultra 9.2.4.
jeep05 likes this.

Lloyd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
4096x2160 , HW-K850 , HW-K950 , hwk950 , Samsung , samsung soundbar , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page