Samsung HW-K850 & HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbars - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1417Likes

post #61 of 4954 Old 08-06-2016, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
The C61k needs to go to the soundbar first....

If the C61k is outputting Dolby Digital Plus (what they are using for the 4k broadcasts and VOD) it should be fine.. the box should be set to bitstream and not PCM output...
OK, connected the C61k directly to the K950 via HDMI2 input and here is the result:

1. HD Channels show video with zero audio.
2. 4k Channels and 4k DVR content shows zero video and zero audio.
3. TV speaker list shows an audio signal being received by the K950.

Now I am very confused... do you think I am missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4954 Old 08-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 23
No Center channel/dialog sound

I am not getting any dialog from my 950 when playing Blu Rays, namely Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Xbox One-OG version). My panel is an LG E6.

When watching video via NetFlix and Amazon Video through the ARC input, everything seemed to be fine in terms of dialog (although I was not truly sure I was getting 5.1 watching Narcos and House of Cards).

I can hear special effects and music clearly, but I am not getting any dialog (well, I hear it faintly when I turn the volume up very high. I presume it is bleed through).

Anyone having similar issues? Thanks in advance.
post #63 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There is a firmware update for the K950 available. Looks like it's only available through the MultiRoom app. Under settings Software Update. The update seems to have boosted the processing of 5.1. My rears are more active after the update in providing sound when processing audio from my Comcast X1 box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagyl View Post
I am not getting any dialog from my 950 when playing Blu Rays, namely Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Xbox One-OG version). My panel is an LG E6.

When watching video via NetFlix and Amazon Video through the ARC input, everything seemed to be fine in terms of dialog (although I was not truly sure I was getting 5.1 watching Narcos and House of Cards).

I can hear special effects and music clearly, but I am not getting any dialog (well, I hear it faintly when I turn the volume up very high. I presume it is bleed through).

Anyone having similar issues? Thanks in advance.
I experienced the opposite issue when I was watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies, where the announcer's voices were loud and clear, but the crowd and music were so low you couldn't hear anything. I started to toggle the Effects options and when it was set to anything but Movie, it sounded really good (not Dolby Atmos good, but that's a whole different can of worms). Not sure what it is about the Movie setting that didn't jive with the broadcast, since the Movie setting sounds amazing with every other broadcast and Blu-rays. Still trying to figure this system out!
post #65 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragga P. View Post
I experienced the opposite issue when I was watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies, where the announcer's voices were loud and clear, but the crowd and music were so low you couldn't hear anything. I started to toggle the Effects options and when it was set to anything but Movie, it sounded really good (not Dolby Atmos good, but that's a whole different can of worms). Not sure what it is about the Movie setting that didn't jive with the broadcast, since the Movie setting sounds amazing with every other broadcast and Blu-rays. Still trying to figure this system out!
One thing I liked about the HT RT5 is that the menu was displayed on the tv screen so you could easily see what you were selecting. I wish more manufacturers would do that.
post #66 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calambert View Post
Can someone post the dimensions (H X W X D) of the K950 rear speakers. Their size does not appear on the spec page of retailers or even the Samsung website. Thanks.
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Sa...950_062416.pdf

The dimensions will be on the second page of the pdf.
post #67 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
In short, no real dts possible?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T805 mit Tapatalk 4
post #68 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagyl View Post
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Sa...950_062416.pdf

The dimensions will be on the second page of the pdf.
Thanks! Very helpful.
post #69 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netguru76 View Post

From everything I have read, there is nothing associated with DTS. I would have thought they would have been willing to pay for the licensing, given as how this was to be a flagship item.
post #70 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfatboy2003 View Post
There is a firmware update for the K950 available. Looks like it's only available through the MultiRoom app. Under settings Software Update. The update seems to have boosted the processing of 5.1. My rears are more active after the update in providing sound when processing audio from my Comcast X1 box.
It appears that if you connect the K950 to Wifi it will default to auto-update. I noticed last night that the rears seemed more active - I'm guessing this is why.

I do get some 'hissing' in them though - not sure what that's from...
post #71 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post
It appears that if you connect the K950 to Wifi it will default to auto-update. I noticed last night that the rears seemed more active - I'm guessing this is why.

I do get some 'hissing' in them though - not sure what that's from...
I'm not getting any hissing after the update but haven't played any 2.1 audio. Possibly that what's causing it, as maybe it doesn't handle the conversion well and the rears don't get anything to output?????
post #72 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netguru76 View Post

Only the very basic DTS 2 channel. I thought I had read that it would do all DTS except for DTS-X. But that not what's on the or their spec sheet.

Set your output on your device to unprocessed bitstream and the bar will handle well.
post #73 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 322
The manual shows the license for DTS, but nothing about DTS:X. I wonder if that might be possible through an update, or whether the hardware is different.

Also, on the Samsung website they say that the HW-K950 is capable of generating simulated Atmos. "Proprietary Surround Sound Expansion Plus upconverts audio content to up to 5.1.4 channels, adding overhead sound dimension to virtually anything you watch. " http://www.samsung.com/us/television...za-hw-k950-za/
cydeweyz likes this.

Last edited by taichi4; 08-07-2016 at 03:26 PM.
post #74 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
The manual shows the license for DTS, but nothing about DTS:X. I wonder if that might be possible through an update, or whether the hardware is different.

Also, on the Samsung website they say that the HW-K950 is capable of generating simulated Atmos. "Proprietary Surround Sound Expansion Plus upconverts audio content to up to 5.1.4 channels, adding overhead sound dimension to virtually anything you watch. " http://www.samsung.com/us/television...za-hw-k950-za/
Yeah, bummer - only DTS 2.0 for sure. I wondered about future updates as well...can't imagine its a hardware issue. I think this is a big miss for a soundbar of this caliber after noting how many BDs I have that have DTS/DTS:X soundtracks...

As for the virtual Atmos...well if it does this it doesn't work all that impressively. On surround mode you now notice the rears a bit more than you used to. However, while it sounds like there's sound coming out of the height speakers if you put an ear to them - its hard to tell if its just not already the sound from the rear channel itself. There's certainly no indication/setting for any sort of virtual Atmos mode. (perhaps a future firmware update will address this too...sigh)
post #75 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How many surround modes are there?
post #76 of 4954 Old 08-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Anyone with questions about the soundbar or just following this thread might be interested in following the review blog thread:

Begin blog

This week, two large boxes arrived and are currently sitting in the middle of my kitchen, waiting to be unpacked. One box contained Samsung's 2016 flagship TV, the KS9800, in a 65-inch screen size. The other holds the company's flagship soundbar, the HW-K950 with 5.1.4-channel Dolby Atmos. Add to that a UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player (which I already had) and together the 3 devices create a state of the art all-Samsung viewing experience.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...view-blog.html

Last edited by calambert; 08-07-2016 at 10:04 PM.
post #77 of 4954 Old 08-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
How many surround modes are there?
Well, one in so far as I can tell - its either on or off.

There are various sound modes - which seem to adjust the EQ for you automagically based on the type of source you are viewing. I don't believe they impact the surround mode much at all. Pretty much the standard modes that previous Samsung soundbars had. Though 'Movie' seems to be the best one - 'Sports' is second.

Last edited by tdrozdowski; 08-08-2016 at 11:29 AM.
post #78 of 4954 Old 08-08-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Yes - this soundbar is very close to having a separate AVR and decent speakers. Blows away the Vizio - its not even close.

If you don't have a BluRay player (preferably UHD BluRay Player), then you won't get the most out of this soundbar. I'm not sure how many BDs have Dolby Atmos soundtracks - but half of my UHD BDs do and they are very impressive.

There are no streaming sources that currently provide Dolby Atmos - the amount of bandwidth to add this to streams already on top of UHD & HDR...well, there's a reason why UHD BDs exist. I'd imagine it'll be a few years before its available widely from any streaming source. Digital download sources are different (iTunes Store, Amazon, Vudu, etc) - but I don't know of any that provide Atmos soundtracks yet either. They are just starting to support UHD with HDR. Perhaps once Apple jumps into the UHD realm for their movies that will spur this - but again, file sizes will be significantly increased.

For the soundbar itself - quality is hit and miss on the streaming side. Most providers claim 5.1 Dolby Digital - and technically the sound track is encoded as such - but the bit rates vary. As such what you may be getting out of it may not be the same as say on a BD - or even a different source. For example, any show I subscribe to via iTunes Season Pass - and stream via iCloud - sounds much better on this sound bar than anything off of Netflix. (the rears are more distinct)

OTA/Cable/Satelite will vary too - though probably be better than streaming. I cut the cord 4 years ago and only use OTA antenna + streaming sources for TV. Surround over OTA was only noticeable to me during NFL games, so I'll know in a few weeks how well this system works with that in mind.

Though, for the cost, there's really no reason to invest in this if you don't have a Dolby Atmos source. You'd be better off sticking with the Vizio for just normal Dolby Digital 5.1/TV sources.

Thanks for your response. I don't have a Bluray player and don't intent to buy one. I mostly watch Netflix and Amazon and watch new movies through Fios or buy them off Amazon t stream. and like you said none of them have Dolby Atmos audio so it wont benefit me. I was just curious if you thought this sound bar was exceedingly better than the Vizio forDolby 5.1 sound.

Also, would this be something that would work well in a dedicated home theatre room?

Any store where you can demo this unit?
post #79 of 4954 Old 08-08-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There are various sound modes - which seem to adjust the EQ for you automagically based on the type of source you are viewing. I don't believe they impact the surround mode much at all. Pretty much the standard modes that previous Samsung soundbars had. Though 'Movie' seems to be the best one - 'Sports' is second.
Is there a sub menu somewhere where you could boost the volume of the Atmos channels in simulated mode?

By the way, I think that imagic should get a Samsung toaster oven and automatic toothbrush to complete his Samsung review experience.
post #80 of 4954 Old 08-08-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
[QUOTE=sid369;45907745]Also, would this be something that would work well in a dedicated home theatre room?QUOTE]

In a truly dedicated room get a regular surround system with Atmos if possible. NO sound bar is a substitute for having a well placed and set up system. Not even close! Sound bars are great for areas where a surround system is not possible or easily done. Something like this would destroy any sound bar. And I'm sure people can give other suggestions even less expensive that will put a sound bar to shame.
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

While sound bars have their place, dedicated theater rooms is not where they should be used.
post #81 of 4954 Old 08-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Is there a sub menu somewhere where you could boost the volume of the Atmos channels in simulated mode?

By the way, I think that imagic should get a Samsung toaster oven and automatic toothbrush to complete his Samsung review experience.
Yes - you can adjust the levels of each speaker. Due to the height of my ceiling, I increases the height channels to max (+3). Though it does seem once the bar goes into Atmos mode that all those settings go out the door and it just takes over. Its like the thing pushes all the speakers to max.
post #82 of 4954 Old 08-09-2016, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any word on how the K850 configuration of this works/sounds? mentioned it before my room (and wallet) is simply too small to accommodate the rear speakers so really hoping the K850 is impressive in it's own right.
post #83 of 4954 Old 08-10-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:

I thought 'Movie' mode was best as well, until I realized that while in this mode, I was not hearing certain dialog on some programs. Particularly on the 4k channels when there was english subtitles, translating a dialog in Portuguese... I didn't hear the Portuguese voices! Have you experienced this at all? I found that 'Standard' mode covers all media the most consistently.
post #84 of 4954 Old 08-10-2016, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Was there another FW update yesterday? The performance with non-surround sources when surround is turned on seemed significantly different.
post #85 of 4954 Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 46
input help

Just bought a new OLED tv - 2016 model year - so I need to upgrade my Sony HTST9 soundbar to one that is HDR/Dolby Vision compliant - meaning I need the Samsung HW-K950 soundbar. A few questions before I pull the trigger though:

1. I know the soundbar is definitely HDR10 compliant (right?), but I'm not sure about Dolby Vision content. Will this pass Dolby Vision? Or does there have to be a special Dolby Vision chip in the soundbar as well in order for DOlby Vision to work with this (I want to futurerpoof myself here in case a PS4 Neo or ultra hd blu ray i buy soon has Dolby Vision).

2. What inputs are there on this soundbar? I keep seeing conflicting info on this online. I know there are two hdmi in, 1 hdmi out (right?), but anything else? Like analog input or anything else? I have an old turntable that I have plugged into an input on my Sony ST9; I would like to be able to do that on this Samsung as well.

Any guidance on these two questions would be much appreciated.

Also, what do you do with your high def (HD MA, DTS X) content that is DTS branded on this soundbar since there is no support for it?
post #86 of 4954 Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Yes - this soundbar is very close to having a separate AVR and decent speakers. Blows away the Vizio - its not even close.

If you don't have a BluRay player (preferably UHD BluRay Player), then you won't get the most out of this soundbar. I'm not sure how many BDs have Dolby Atmos soundtracks - but half of my UHD BDs do and they are very impressive.

There are no streaming sources that currently provide Dolby Atmos - the amount of bandwidth to add this to streams already on top of UHD & HDR...well, there's a reason why UHD BDs exist. I'd imagine it'll be a few years before its available widely from any streaming source. Digital download sources are different (iTunes Store, Amazon, Vudu, etc) - but I don't know of any that provide Atmos soundtracks yet either. They are just starting to support UHD with HDR. Perhaps once Apple jumps into the UHD realm for their movies that will spur this - but again, file sizes will be significantly increased.

For the soundbar itself - quality is hit and miss on the streaming side. Most providers claim 5.1 Dolby Digital - and technically the sound track is encoded as such - but the bit rates vary. As such what you may be getting out of it may not be the same as say on a BD - or even a different source. For example, any show I subscribe to via iTunes Season Pass - and stream via iCloud - sounds much better on this sound bar than anything off of Netflix. (the rears are more distinct)

OTA/Cable/Satelite will vary too - though probably be better than streaming. I cut the cord 4 years ago and only use OTA antenna + streaming sources for TV. Surround over OTA was only noticeable to me during NFL games, so I'll know in a few weeks how well this system works with that in mind.

Though, for the cost, there's really no reason to invest in this if you don't have a Dolby Atmos source. You'd be better off sticking with the Vizio for just normal Dolby Digital 5.1/TV sources.
"There are no streaming sources that currently provide Dolby Atmos - the amount of bandwidth to add this to streams already on top of UHD & HDR...well, there's a reason why UHD BDs exist. I'd imagine it'll be a few years before its available widely from any streaming source."

You are incorrect, Sir. VUDU is already streaming Atmos
post #87 of 4954 Old 08-10-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragga P. View Post
I thought 'Movie' mode was best as well, until I realized that while in this mode, I was not hearing certain dialog on some programs. Particularly on the 4k channels when there was english subtitles, translating a dialog in Portuguese... I didn't hear the Portuguese voices! Have you experienced this at all? I found that 'Standard' mode covers all media the most consistently.
I have not - wonder if its an issue with the source?
post #88 of 4954 Old 08-10-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaleman View Post
You are incorrect, Sir. VUDU is already streaming Atmos
I should then revise my comments to: 'none of the *major* streamers (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) provide Atmos'.

It looks like the Vudu selection is extremely limited - not only in terms of films, but also devices: Vizio TVs and Roku 4. I searched the Vudu app on the new Xbox, my KS9500 and JS9500 and I was not offered any 4k videos of any type.

Any sense of how well it works, what the bandwidth requirements are? (they claims 11mbps for UHD streams, but not what Atmos adds to it) I have a hard time imagining that it matches that of a UHD BD though...
post #89 of 4954 Old 08-10-2016, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can someone who owns this soundbar PLEASE measure the height of it? The Samsung website, press release, and now a review i'm reading all list different measurements (I can link to them, but essentially 2.1", 3.2" and 4.25"???). Height is critical to me so it doesn't block my panel. Thank you very much to anyone that can do this.
post #90 of 4954 Old 08-10-2016, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
anyone having surround/center channel issues? I think I have a broken issue, over wifi when I play a surround sound test off you tube from my KS8000 it seems to work although the rears get sound its not a lot. Then I hook up my PS4 or XBOX over HDMI and run the same you tube test video and no surround sound or center channels. If I turn surround sound off, at least it sounds mildly normal. It also seemed like last night everything worked just right. Either this sound bar is super buggy, or I have a broken one, ugg, not looking to dealing with getting a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
4096x2160 , HW-K850 , HW-K950

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page