Bose SoundTouch 300 - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #451 of 505 Old 05-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Can I adjust volume on the Sub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 505 Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
It can be done in the on the universal remote control: (Skip to 0:55)

Alternately, you can re-run AdaptIQ and set the soundstage wider by sitting further away (especially left and right) from your normal seating positions. It seems the further away you are, the louder the subwoofer automatically sets itself. Either way, good luck!
post #453 of 505 Old 06-02-2018, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
If you have access to a Base Exchange or PX the Soundbar and sub are currently on sale for $499/ea. I was going back and forth between these the Sonos and Sony HT-Z9F for the past week but the sale sealed the deal.

Edit: Seems my account that I’ve had since 2004-05 is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 505 Old 06-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Ignore this post. The board keeps indicating there is a new post. I'm hoping this will clear it. I will delete it after posting...
post #455 of 505 Old 06-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Well, disregard if you can read it. The forum won't go beyond page 15 for me for some reason.
post #456 of 505 Old 06-04-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
Well, disregard if you can read it. The forum won't go beyond page 15 for me for some reason.
Yeah, this forum has some quirks to it. Go to your user cp/settings and options/options/thread display options/Number of Posts to Show Per Page/ I changed mine to 70 and now everything shows up.
SkyYYZ likes this.
post #457 of 505 Old 06-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Matt View Post
If you have access to a Base Exchange or PX the Soundbar and sub are currently on sale for $499/ea. I was going back and forth between these the Sonos and Sony HT-Z9F for the past week but the sale sealed the deal.

Edit: Seems my account that I’ve had since 2004-05 is gone.
Great deal you found! Just be aware that there are 4K pass-through problems with it (i.e. green lines,) unless you are willing to use your television's 'zoom' feature to crop the picture smaller and then blow up the resulting image. The alternative to that is to repeatedly switch between sources until the green line problem is corrected. Bose is well aware of this issue, and there may—or may not—be a resolution. If 4K pass-through isn't important to you, I think you will find that we all agree that it sounds terrific.
post #458 of 505 Old 06-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Great deal you found! Just be aware that there are 4K pass-through problems with it (i.e. green lines,) unless you are willing to use your television's 'zoom' feature to crop the picture smaller and then blow up the resulting image. The alternative to that is to repeatedly switch between sources until the green line problem is corrected. Bose is well aware of this issue, and there may—or may not—be a resolution. If 4K pass-through isn't important to you, I think you will find that we all agree that it sounds terrific.
Haven't ran into that issue yet. I downsized my living room setup (Denon 4311ci/Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 bookshelves/PSA S1500) to the Bose 300/Bass module and am very happy with the results. I tried out a bunch of different soundbars from Sonos, Sony, LG, JBL, Vivo and Samsung. Something I thought I would never say but the Bose combo had the overall fullest sound, not tinny or muffled, has real bass and the adaptIQ was easy to set up. I'm not interested in all the fake surround features I found in a bunch of the other soundbars, just give me decent 2.1 sound and that is what the Bose provided.
post #459 of 505 Old 06-05-2018, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, a couple of reviews confirm your findings as well. Not that it needs to be said, but if you ever add on the Virtually Invisible 300's for 5.1 DD/DTS, don't forget to re-run ADAPTiQ Enjoy!
post #460 of 505 Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Two Subwoofers

Does anyone has two subwoofers? How much difference does it make?
post #461 of 505 Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Does anyone has two subwoofers? How much difference does it make?
If you position them correctly it can help even out nulls you may have in your room. It can also give you an overall bump in output(more if placed together +3db).
post #462 of 505 Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Does anyone here use some sort of anti reflective solution for their Soundtouch 300? Mine is right in front of my tv and so the reflections can be a bit distracting in the dark.

I ordered Bose's own "anti reflective cover" (not well known about and not listed on the website) and it sucks. It still has reflections and is very low quality.

I'm thinking about maybe getting some black felt and cutting it to fit over the top so I can just cover it up when I watch in a dark room. Anyone address this issue? Or have any idea where I could get some felt?
post #463 of 505 Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissingLink117 View Post
Does anyone here use some sort of anti reflective solution for their Soundtouch 300? Mine is right in front of my tv and so the reflections can be a bit distracting in the dark.

I ordered Bose's own "anti reflective cover" (not well known about and not listed on the website) and it sucks. It still has reflections and is very low quality.

I'm thinking about maybe getting some black felt and cutting it to fit over the top so I can just cover it up when I watch in a dark room. Anyone address this issue? Or have any idea where I could get some felt?
I just keep mine slightly distant from the tv. The seating angle also helps. If your seats are higher significantly, you'll see the top of the soundbar with reflection. I don't notice reflection at all with my seating angle. It is certainly there when I stand up.
SkyYYZ likes this.
post #464 of 505 Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissingLink117 View Post

If the reflection becomes bothersome, you could try "frosting" the top using either clear contact paper or semi-transparent Plasti-Dip. Either should remove fairly easily if you change your mind or decide to sell your unit.

Krylon and Rust-Oleum make frosting spray paints, however they're semi-permanent. Typically a solvent is required to remove them, and that may damage the plastic on your soundbar.
post #465 of 505 Old 06-30-2018, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

@TheMissingLink117 - hope the suggestions helped you resolve the reflection issue.

To all SoundTouch 300 owners - an update from Bose on their Community Forums regarding the "Green Line" problem...

Quote:
Hello Bidz99,

Thank you for posting. As it stands now, development is aware of this, and they are working towards getting this resolved. As soon as information is available, we will share this with the community.

Warm Regards,

Joel
Oddly, Bose publicly stated that they sent private messages to select owners within the thread. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of the lucky recipients, so I can only speculate. Based on the quote above, I would guess they are selecting a few beta firmware testers. In any case, it looks like the time has finally come for engineers to look into it, and there is hope that the problem can be resolved. They are releasing new SoundTouch products according to a post in the SoundTouch forum (in the AirPlay 2 announcement), so if it can't be resolved for our units, hopefully, they fixed it in whatever the next generation products are going to be. I'm warrantied until December 2019, beyond the Bose warranty (through my credit card), so one way or another I hope to have a fully functioning product, even if Bose can't fix it for this generation ST300 line. By the way, the original poster updated his initial post to include all the findings for newcomers here.
post #466 of 505 Old 06-30-2018, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Could be that Bose will fix the green line on the lifestyle products before the soundtouch. Would make sense given the price difference.

I still question if this could be fixed with only software. And if there is a new gen hardware fix, I wonder if they will have a hardware revision in the st300 or just direct anything new at a new product that replaces it. Everyone expected Sonos to replace the playbar and they are keeping on with that despite it's age. Might take the pressure off Bose to refresh the soundtouch bar.
post #467 of 505 Old 06-30-2018, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

I couldn't agree more. HDMI 2.1 is around the corner, and it would be a perfect opportunity to introduce enhanced features to next gen. products (i.e. dynamic metadata, e-Arc). There seems to be some sort of hope for our existing products though, or that they have something up their sleeves for us. The green line is my only complaint about it; I otherwise really enjoy what I have.
post #468 of 505 Old 07-01-2018, 06:55 PM

I think it just started today, but the paring LED on my ST300 was solid amber. Never was before. I googled a little bit, and didn't seem to find any one thing to look for. I think all the sound is working normally, so it's just the light that is different. I just power cycled the bar and TV and it went out. Strange.

EDIT: Opened the soundtouch app (first time in a while) and it said there was an update available. So I let the soundbar update. Was working great, so I hope they didn't break anything with this update...

Could it be that the amber light is used as an indicator of update? I thought the only indication was in the app, so maybe they are unrelated.

Bose forum made it sound like the update was mostly for the security issue where people could gain access to your device from outside your network. https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundT...nd/td-p/126189

Last edited by crashdumy; 07-01-2018 at 07:42 PM.
post #469 of 505 Old 07-02-2018, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
New products in the “AirPlay 2 Integration” thread?

Quote:
@TheMissingLink117 - hope the suggestions helped you resolve the reflection issue.

To all SoundTouch 300 owners - an update from Bose on their Community Forums regarding the "Green Line" problem...

Oddly, Bose publicly stated that they sent private messages to select owners within the thread. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of the lucky recipients, so I can only speculate. Based on the quote above, I would guess they are selecting a few beta firmware testers. In any case, it looks like the time has finally come for engineers to look into it, and there is hope that the problem can be resolved. They are releasing new SoundTouch products according to a post in the SoundTouch forum (in the AirPlay 2 announcement), so if it can't be resolved for our units, hopefully, they fixed it in whatever the next generation products are going to be. I'm warrantied until December 2019, beyond the Bose warranty (through my credit card), so one way or another I hope to have a fully functioning product, even if Bose can't fix it for this generation ST300 line. By the way, the original poster updated his initial post to include all the findings for newcomers here.
post #470 of 505 Old 07-05-2018, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

@crashdumy I get the amber light occasionally as well, but it always seems to clear. I hadn't made the correlation with a pending update before, but it's entirely possible. I just thought it was network interference since it was so easily cleared with a power cycle. Regarding the most recent update, it was for the SoundTouch app only.

@JollyGood Yes, it was mentioned in the AirPlay 2 announcement in the introductory sentence.

Quote:
We are committed to bring Airplay 2 to our existing SoundTouch products and new products that are forthcoming. We will share further details regarding timing and availability when possible.
The news came as no surprise to me really, I just found it unusual for them to mention it so casually in an AirPlay 2 announcement.

Quote:
In addition, we do yet not have full information on how different SoundTouch product series will be able to interact with AirPlay 2 - please be patient with us as we evaluate and test.
I suppose it serves as fair warning to owners of older SoundTouch devices.

Last edited by SkyYYZ; 07-05-2018 at 07:48 AM.
post #471 of 505 Old 07-05-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
@crashdumy ... Regarding the most recent update, it was for the SoundTouch app only....
Mine definitely had a firmware update. Perhaps I had missed an update previously, so it was just me. But there was certainly an update for the soundbar because it took about 20 min and the bar reset, flashing lights, the whole bit.
post #472 of 505 Old 07-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

My bad! I assumed you were up-to-date... I re-read your post and you did state you hadn't checked for updates in a while.
post #473 of 505 Old 07-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just moved into a house with 4 built-in ceiling speakers of the living room. Also just bought a receiver to utilize those speakers and was wondering if it would be possible to connect the Costco Bose package (the bose soundbar plus sub) to the receiver I have, along with the four ceiling speakers?

If so, how would I go about this?
post #474 of 505 Old 07-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

The ceiling speakers would be controlled separately by the receiver in A/B/A+B type scenario to my recollection. If using your receiver for HDMI pass-through of all AV devices to the ST300, then I would *think* you're choices would be limited to either pass-through, or the A/B/A+B outputs, but not both at the same time. I could be wrong... that's just off the top of my head. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in...
post #475 of 505 Old 07-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
The ceiling speakers would be controlled separately by the receiver in A/B/A+B type scenario to my recollection. If using your receiver for HDMI pass-through of all AV devices to the ST300, then I would *think* you're choices would be limited to either pass-through, or the A/B/A+B outputs, but not both at the same time. I could be wrong... that's just off the top of my head. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in...
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty new to this and would appreciate anyone's guidance. My goal is to be able to use the soundbar and sub together with the four ceiling speakers.

This is a pic of the back of my receiver. Any suggestion on how I would connect these? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 6.00.24 PM.png
Views:	31
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2424816  
post #476 of 505 Old 07-05-2018, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Are you wanting to use the 4 ceiling speakers as surround speakers to create a multi-channel setup? If so, I don't think there's going to be a clean or well-integrated way to do that with the Soundtouch 300, IMO. It's really only designed to work with the VI300 surrounds for multichannel audio. Sure, you can do tricks with a receiver to essentially overlay two surround systems. But it kinda defeats the point of having a clean soundbar setup, and just increases the chances of having audio issues (channel levels, delays, etc.). In this situation, you would be better off buying a passive soundbar and using the receiver to handle all the multi-channel decoding and power the soundbar + surrounds together as one system.

If you're wanting to use the 4 ceiling speakers to distribute audio throughout the house (e.g. Spotify music), then I would return the receiver and instead buy a Bose SA-5 amplifier. It's designed to integrate passive speakers in the Soundtouch ecosystem.
post #477 of 505 Old 07-06-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
Are you wanting to use the 4 ceiling speakers as surround speakers to create a multi-channel setup? If so, I don't think there's going to be a clean or well-integrated way to do that with the Soundtouch 300, IMO. It's really only designed to work with the VI300 surrounds for multichannel audio. Sure, you can do tricks with a receiver to essentially overlay two surround systems. But it kinda defeats the point of having a clean soundbar setup, and just increases the chances of having audio issues (channel levels, delays, etc.). In this situation, you would be better off buying a passive soundbar and using the receiver to handle all the multi-channel decoding and power the soundbar + surrounds together as one system.

If you're wanting to use the 4 ceiling speakers to distribute audio throughout the house (e.g. Spotify music), then I would return the receiver and instead buy a Bose SA-5 amplifier. It's designed to integrate passive speakers in the Soundtouch ecosystem.
Yes, I do want to include the four ceiling speakers as surround speakers. As you suggested, I will probably look for other options. Thanks.
post #478 of 505 Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So close to pulling the trigger on the ST300 (with sub and rears). Question for Bose ST300 owners though: Just finding out that the ST300 doesn't support Google Play Music or Google Assistant (both of which I'm highly integrated with). If I connect a Google Home to it though, can I get away with pretty much never using the included Bose Remote or the Bose app? I basically just want my TV and my Google Home (and/or Chromecast) to fully drive what is played through my ST300. I think it should work fine and their should be no reason (or benefit) to ever touch the remote or the app (other than to very rarely adjust the sub volume), but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
post #479 of 505 Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

What kind of stand do you use for the V.I. rears?
post #480 of 505 Old 07-28-2018, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post
So close to pulling the trigger on the ST300 (with sub and rears). Question for Bose ST300 owners though: Just finding out that the ST300 doesn't support Google Play Music or Google Assistant (both of which I'm highly integrated with). If I connect a Google Home to it though, can I get away with pretty much never using the included Bose Remote or the Bose app? I basically just want my TV and my Google Home (and/or Chromecast) to fully drive what is played through my ST300. I think it should work fine and their should be no reason (or benefit) to ever touch the remote or the app (other than to very rarely adjust the sub volume), but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
I don't think that will work. I'm in the same boat and the only way to connect the google home to the bar is through a chromecast audio. Which will be connected to the Aux port. So everytime you have to switch from TV (arc) to say the aux, you will need the remote. And the remote by itself is quite essential really, I use it regularly depending on the film I'm watching (for speech mode, base etc.) or the source I'm listening to - chromecast/bluetooth etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page