Official Sony HT-CT790 Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 97 Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Official Sony HT-CT790 Thread

Sony page with manual and firmware:
http://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-ct790

I searched and could not find an official thread of much info on this sound bar. Please delete this if its redundant.

I got my HT-CT790 in and hooked up yesterday. I'm using it with a Sony 55X850C TV. Source are a cable box on HDMI1 and the TV's built in apps via ARC. Over the weekend I'll hook up the PS4 and check out some BluRays.

We bought a new house recently and the new den is smaller and forced me to go from my old 4.1 Energy RC-10 + Emotiva 10" + Denon setup to a 2.1 setup removing the rears. That was feeling clunky so I moved that setup elsewhere. TV speakers weren't cutting it so the wife and I settled on a soundbar solution. Point being, my lastest frame of reference is the RC-10s and sub in a 2.1 config.

I flashed it to the latest firmware right away, because I'm nutty like that.

My initial impression is actually pretty darn good. The soundbar struck me as very clear. It was immediately more full than the TV speakers of course, but didn't have the umph of the 2.1 setup. I noticed by default the sub is set to 3/12 and I settled on 6-8/12 to be about right.

I tried the different sound modes/fields. Movie packs the most punch in the bass department but I think it sets the voices too far back and makes it hard to hear. ClearAudio+ really seems to work and is my favorite choice at the moment. By default the Voice setting was boosted to +1, I preferred to have it at zero with the ClearAudio+ setting.

It's not clear to me what surround tricks are being deployed but at one point I heard very clear some kind of sound effect behind me. I can't tell if that can be turned off for a pure 2.1 experience of its always trying to simulate something. It was kind of neat. I'll have to put on a proper bluray or DVD source and really listen for it later.

Install was easy, design/aesthetics are slick, it functionally works well (ARC, etc), and sounds great so far. Soundbars seem to have really come a long way since my initial impression of them 5-10 years ago. I can't wait to try some TrueHD audio on it. I'll report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old 09-30-2016, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks for the review...I'm looking at this as well.

Is the audio/video sync good via ARC? I have a new 930D but it's paired with an old/crappy Samsung soundbar and there is a very slight audio delay (video comes a hair before audio).

I'm hoping this one would solve the issue.
post #3 of 97 Old 10-03-2016, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

I did specifically look for and didn't see any issues with audio/video sync. And I feel I'm fairly sensitive to it and have in the past spent days trying to get systems in proper sync. hah

I've been on vacation and haven't spent much more time with it, but before I left I did listen to a few FLAC tracks from Radiohead's new album. It definitely falls short for music compared to a proper 2.1 system w/ room EQ, etc. The stage is quite narrow with the sound bar, lacks some high freq fidelity, bass isn't as clear/controlled, etc. It'd be fine for playback at parties, in fact, we had the inlaws over that night and ate dinner in the next room while it played some dinner music and everyone thought it sounded good. But for the purpose of sitting and listening, it's not so great.

Tonight I'm going to hook up the PS4 and run some audio cal/test programs to see how the discrete channels come out and try some hires bluray sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 97 Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight i ran some Disney WOW tests. The 5.1 discrete channel test was pretty interesting. It really does place the rear surrounds behind you. It's kind of a neat effect. It is sensitive to the tilt of your head and your seating position, but if you sit dead center and face the front, it works fairly well.

I also watched some HBO (Westworld) 5.1 TV and then Interstellar on Bluray. I'd say it sounds pretty darn good for TV/Movie watching. The sub sounds pretty tight and does a good job with rumble effects. Voices are clear and full. The system is quite loud, too. If a 1 was the TV speakers and 10 was my old Denon/Energy RC/Emotiva 2.1 setup, its probably a 6-7 with the biggest area of weakness being the breadth of sound stage. I have the old setup down in the basement now so if i really wanted to (not sure i do, ha) A/B it i could.

For music, the sound bar is more like a 3-4.

The CT790 unit i have is actually a Best Buy opened box unit i got for $350. It has a dent in the grill and is missing the remote so i've opted to return it. I have the option to return it or exchange it and I'm going to exchange it for another of the same unit. I don't think i can do better than this for $350. It's purpose in life is TV/Movie watching and that it does well.
post #5 of 97 Old 10-24-2016, 12:01 PM

Liked: 15
thinking of this for pairing with Samsung JS8500 TV & xbox one S for media.

This unit does 4K passthru, so I am thinking it would work for 4K UHD blu ray also.

Considering against more expensive BOSE/Sonos "solutions".
post #6 of 97 Old 11-07-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Folks!

Today I have purchased HT CT790. Sound is too good. Enjoying it.

Thing is that I do not have TV instead I have projector LG PW800 which only has Analog Output.

My initial thought was that I could connect my laptop to soundbar as an speaker using WiFi. Only after purchase I realized that I can only stream music through WiFi but cannot configure them as speakers. I watch 3D movies by connecting laptop projector using HDMI. Now I do not find a way to stream my 3D movie which is in .mkv format to stream through WiFi to speaker.

Does any one know how to connect my laptop to soundbar as an external speaker instead of only one that streams music (.mp3)?

Thank you.
ronferri likes this.
post #7 of 97 Old 11-20-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had a chance to connect a Playstation Pro or XBOX One Slim to this sound bar? I am thinking of getting one to eventually hook up to a Sony 55" 850D 4k set, and wanted to know if there were any issues with either PS Pro or XBOs passing through 4k or HDR signals...
post #8 of 97 Old 11-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Purchased the 790 this week & could not be more pleased with my setup (Sony X930D, Panasonic ub900 4K player. Overall sound is great, w/a variety of options to suit your own personal taste. One important note-we all know to set hdmi ports on the TV to enhanced, but remember to ALSO set the hdmi ports on the soundbar to enhanced as well to enjoy the full 4K experience. Although the instruction manual reviews proper installation, it fails to mention enhancing the hdmi ports on the soundbar.
post #9 of 97 Old 11-26-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
trying to decide between this and the lg sh7b to pair with an oled65b6p. I have an older htct500 which I like a lot, but I'm worried about dialogue going from 3.1 to 2.1. am I going to notice a difference? I'd eventually like to pair some r5s with this (or h3s if I go with the lg), anyone running a similar setup?
post #10 of 97 Old 12-06-2016, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm trying to decide on this too. I was also thinking about the Samsung HW‑K550. Has anyone looked at that? Wondering which one sounds better. Adv/Disadv between the two? Thanks.
post #11 of 97 Old 12-06-2016, 06:55 PM

decided on this after reading of Google cast issues with the lg sh7b and got it all set up yesterday. the only issue I'm having is that it seems to not be recognizing Dolby digital plus from my 2nd fire TV. I get the system navigation sounds, and audio from prime music, but when I try to watch something (prime, Netflix, hbo) is silent. my fire TV was set to Dolby digital plus auto, turning it off fixes it. in auto mode it should still put out stereo if the device doesn't support Dolby digital, but the 790 supports digital plus so that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. any ideas?
post #12 of 97 Old 12-10-2016, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
For music, the sound bar is more like a 3-4.
3-4 out of 10? is it that bad?
post #13 of 97 Old 12-22-2016, 04:31 PM

Liked: 3
Any idea how the the HT-CT390 compares to this one for non 4k content?
post #14 of 97 Old 12-27-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisi2274 View Post
Has anyone had a chance to connect a Playstation Pro or XBOX One Slim to this sound bar? I am thinking of getting one to eventually hook up to a Sony 55" 850D 4k set, and wanted to know if there were any issues with either PS Pro or XBOs passing through 4k or HDR signals...
I just got it yesterday and not that impressed. I hooked the sound bar out to my sony 55 inch 4k ACR HDMI and tried to run my ps4 pro and xbox one s through the hmdi ports of the sound bar. Everything worked fine but when I checked the display details on the xbox one s all the box's were checked off yellow that they were compatible.

I think I'm taking it back today and get another Sound bar and subwoffer. This one didn't even come with an optical cable. SMH
post #15 of 97 Old 12-27-2016, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can anyone please compare the overall sound quality in movies and music between this and the Sony HT-NT5?

Last edited by ronferri; 12-27-2016 at 07:18 PM.
post #16 of 97 Old 12-28-2016, 12:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronferri View Post
Can anyone please compare the overall sound quality in movies and music between this and the Sony HT-NT5?
I second this. I got the CT790 yesterday simply because of the lower cost. I haven't opened it yet and am thinking about returning and exchanging with NT5. I tested it in the store and it sounded great. Pairing the sound bar with two Sony wireless surround speakers make the set up expensive for me though.

Any feedback is very much appreciated!
ronferri likes this.
post #17 of 97 Old 12-28-2016, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Do we lose accessibility to the connectivity ports on the back of the CT790 soundbar when it is wall mounted?
post #18 of 97 Old 01-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone used their CT790 w/ the apple spotify app? When adjusting the volume (on the iPhone w/ spotify), it always goes in increments of 3 (+ or -) on the CT790. Anyone know if you can change this increment? I find the increment too high. One or two would be better.

Thanks
post #19 of 97 Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I've been eyeing the CT790 but I'm not too enthused with the physical design compared to previous generations. Does the somewhat upward firing drivers hinder sound quality at all?? I had the CT380 before and liked that design better. I also had the CT260H before that. I'm just looking at possibly simplifying my setup as I only have a BD player and an Airport Express for Apple Airplay.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...476a4e0f55en02
post #20 of 97 Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1 View Post
Has anyone used their CT790 w/ the apple spotify app? When adjusting the volume (on the iPhone w/ spotify), it always goes in increments of 3 (+ or -) on the CT790. Anyone know if you can change this increment? I find the increment too high. One or two would be better.

Thanks
It is very touchy, I usually hit the up/down and then use the slider to get it on the sweet spot.
post #21 of 97 Old 01-26-2017, 05:02 PM

my unit isn't passing through HDR, any suggestions? shield TV 2017 through the htct790 to an oled65b6p. deep color enabled on the TV, enhanced output enabled on the 790. 4k goes through just fine, but not HDR. if I plug the shield directly into the TV it works with no problems
post #22 of 97 Old 02-14-2017, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I installed the HT-CT790 with my Samsung 55KU6300. The top volume is quite low. I tried a few settings and if I switch the sound from the TV from Bitstream to PCM it gets much louder and seems to sound more full. Is this normal? I thought bitstream was the proper setting for most situations. Thoughts?
post #23 of 97 Old 03-16-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybrf View Post
my unit isn't passing through HDR, any suggestions? shield TV 2017 through the htct790 to an oled65b6p. deep color enabled on the TV, enhanced output enabled on the 790. 4k goes through just fine, but not HDR. if I plug the shield directly into the TV it works with no problems
I am planning on getting your TV and sound bar. Can you tell me about your experiences with it? I have DirecTV and a PS4. Eventually wanted to get an Xbox One S for UHD discs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
post #24 of 97 Old 03-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
I am planning on getting your TV and sound bar. Can you tell me about your experiences with it? I have DirecTV and a PS4. Eventually wanted to get an Xbox One S for UHD discs.

I never could get it working. ended up returning it for the htnt5 and have had no issues with hdr
post #25 of 97 Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

Did you enable it on the Sony's HDMI ports? Its off by default.
post #26 of 97 Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljack View Post
I installed the HT-CT790 with my Samsung 55KU6300. The top volume is quite low. I tried a few settings and if I switch the sound from the TV from Bitstream to PCM it gets much louder and seems to sound more full. Is this normal? I thought bitstream was the proper setting for most situations. Thoughts?
Change the soundfield to movie.
post #27 of 97 Old 03-17-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipfreely View Post
I don't own either TV not soundbar yet

post #28 of 97 Old 03-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipfreely View Post
I think you meant to quote me, and yes I did. I likely just had a bad unit, but I was at the end of my return period and had done enough troubleshooting. ended up getting a good deal on the htnt5 so I pulled the trigger
post #29 of 97 Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 AM

HDR Passthrough Ct790 and Xbox One S

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisi2274 View Post
I realize this post is old, but still comes up as one of the top hits for HDR passthrough issues with the CT790 and Xbox One S. I was having issues with HDR at first. Within the Xbox 4k details (the checkboxes or red stop symbols letting you know your compatibility) There were stop signs next to HDR and most 4k settings. By going into the sound bar menu settings and selecting HDMI settings you can switch the HDMI inputs on the soundbar from standard to enhanced. This solved the HDR passthrough issue with the XBOX One S and this soundbar HT-CT790. None of Sony's chat agents were able to figure this out. They jut take you through power down and factory restore which is pointless. Hopefully this helps someone because there isn't much out there for this issue that is clear.
post #30 of 97 Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
My set-up. Oppo 203 4K Bluray player >CT790>SonyX930D. 4K & HDR pass through works perfectly, as well as the arc function!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page