1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ellebob

post #1 of 3 Old 10-04-2016, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with Yamaha Ysp-2200

We bought a used YSP 2200 soundbar from Yamaha.

In the reviews and on this site, it is said that the subwoofer that comes with, could be better.
There is also some suggestions to which subwoofer to use instead in here.

Our YSP 2200 did not have the subwoofer it came with. Luckily we had one we could use, but when we connected it, the YSP 2200 only plays "canned" audio. It also did this before the sub was connected. The subwoofer works fine and fills the room, but the YSP itself is not playing the rest of the frequencies very well.

It does not sound like it is broken, just off.
I know the subwoofer that came with plays a wide range of frequencies, but the YSP could still not get away with this kind of sound.
Is there a way to fix this? Is it broken? Or is this just matter of auto setup?

Help is much appreciated as this was a gift to someone with kids, looking forward to some movie time together with great audio.

Thank you,
Paul

Last edited by Palulf; 10-04-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-04-2016, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
The sub you are using is probably not capable of playing the midrange frequencies needed for this sound bar. This sound bar has a crossover frequency of 500hz so the sub is actually more for midrange and bass. Since a crossover is not a hard cut off frequency and the frequencies roll off before that point, so the sub probably needs to be capable of playing to about 1khz. That would not be possible with most subs, I am not sure which sub you are using. with this sound bar the sub is definitely responsible for playing frequencies in the vocal range and would sound pretty bad without the sub. I would also recommend with this sound bar is to place the sub near the sound bar for good integration and not be able to localize the sub.
Palulf likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-2016, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
The sub you are using is probably not capable of playing the midrange frequencies needed for this sound bar. This sound bar has a crossover frequency of 500hz so the sub is actually more for midrange and bass. Since a crossover is not a hard cut off frequency and the frequencies roll off before that point, so the sub probably needs to be capable of playing to about 1khz. That would not be possible with most subs, I am not sure which sub you are using. with this sound bar the sub is definitely responsible for playing frequencies in the vocal range and would sound pretty bad without the sub. I would also recommend with this sound bar is to place the sub near the sound bar for good integration and not be able to localize the sub.
Ah, I did not know that.
We have a small sub capable of 0-160 or 200Hz, I think.

So this is a lost cause without the original sub

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
frequencies , subwoofer , ysp 2200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page