Vizio Sound bar control with LG TV Magic Remote? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vizio Sound bar control with LG TV Magic Remote?

Hello all. I had a decent 5.1 sound system, but there were too many wires running around my place (my living room looked like it was plugged into the Matrix). So, I just got a nice Vizio sound bar (model: S4251w-B4) with a wireless subwoofer to combat the issue. I have the same TV (LG 55G2 - "smart" google TV) that has a nice magic remote with QWERTY keyboard.

While I solved the "wire" issue, I now have a new issue. How do I control the sound bar volume with the LG magic remote? If I cannot solve this, then I have to keep multiple remotes, including the small Vizio remote to control the volume, for my entire system to work. I contacted LG and they told me to contact Vizio. I contacted Vizio and they told me to contact LG. I'm at impasse!

At the end of the day, I don't really have a complicated set-up, so I don't want to use multiple remotes.

Is there a way to use the magic remote (with QWERTY keyboard) to control the Vizio soundbar? Or if needed, is there a universal remote I can buy (Harmony?) that has all the features of the magic remote and can control the volume of the sound bar?

Any help from the experts on this forum is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-31-2016, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As long as the LG tv has HDMI-CEC enabled in audio settings and is hooked up via optical or HDMI ARC... the TV volume will control the soundbar.

My issue is usually getting the soundbar turned on, and I generally use the Visio remote (and may have to cycle through the inputs), but then any TV remote (my LG TV's or my DirecTv remote) controls the Vizio soundbar volume
post #3 of 14 Old 12-31-2016, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I have that same sound bar and two LG TVs...both magic remotes can control the sound bar. You need to go into your TV settings to setup the remote to control the soundbar...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-31-2016, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenden View Post
As long as the LG tv has HDMI-CEC enabled in audio settings and is hooked up via optical or HDMI ARC... the TV volume will control the soundbar.

My issue is usually getting the soundbar turned on, and I generally use the Visio remote (and may have to cycle through the inputs), but then any TV remote (my LG TV's or my DirecTv remote) controls the Vizio soundbar volume
HDMI-CEC only controls HDMI devices and will have no effect on an optical connected device. But LG TVs with the LG Magic remote can be programmed under settings to control the Vizio sound bar. My S4251 soundbar can be powered on and controlled via the magic remote, the newer smartcast soundbar has to be turned on by the vizio remote but can then be controlled via the LG Magic Remote. This is with my setup via optical connection.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-31-2016, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post
I have that same sound bar and two LG TVs...both magic remotes can control the sound bar. You need to go into your TV settings to setup the remote to control the soundbar...
Thanks merc! I tried doing this on my LG 55g2 (this is a a google TV), but it doesn't seem to have that option. Maybe this is because this is an older LG model with the special QWERTY magic remote. What type of LG TVs do you have? Any insights on this?

As for the on/off for the soundbar. I just leave it on at all times.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-01-2017, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
HDMI-CEC only controls HDMI devices and will have no effect on an optical connected device. But LG TVs with the LG Magic remote can be programmed under settings to control the Vizio sound bar. My S4251 soundbar can be powered on and controlled via the magic remote, the newer smartcast soundbar has to be turned on by the vizio remote but can then be controlled via the LG Magic Remote. This is with my setup via optical connection.
It may not be the HDMI CEC, but my LG 65UH6030 TV remote controls the volume on the Vizio SmartCast 3851 with just optical plugged in (and I've never programmed the soundbar to recognize TV codes)
post #7 of 14 Old 01-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFire2016 View Post
Thanks merc! I tried doing this on my LG 55g2 (this is a a google TV), but it doesn't seem to have that option. Maybe this is because this is an older LG model with the special QWERTY magic remote. What type of LG TVs do you have? Any insights on this?

As for the on/off for the soundbar. I just leave it on at all times.
I have the LG 55G3 google TV with the QWERTY magic remote and was able to program mine to control the sound bar. I'm pretty sure the G2 has this option as well.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have the LG 55G3 google TV with the QWERTY magic remote and was able to program mine to control the sound bar. I'm pretty sure the G2 has this option as well.
Thanks again Merc. I didn't know there was a LG G3.

Can you walk me through how you programmed your magic remote on your LG tv? I can't for the life of me figure out on my LG 55g2 TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a LG TV 47' (without web OS) with the magic remote and the same sound bar Vizio S4251.

The LG TV software didnt have an option to program with different remotes. I think the Web OS (newer software TVs) has that option
post #10 of 14 Old 01-01-2018, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the LG OLED 65B7 with Web OS and the Vizio 4551-D5.
The Vizio remote has a menu option to program the SB.
If tried and tried to get the magic remote to program the SB but to no avail.
I am connected via optical. I have the TV outputing optical. I have CEC turned on but nothing works.
I'm at a loss
Can someone post the settings required?

Thanks
post #11 of 14 Old 01-01-2018, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How did you program it? Steps please.
Tnx
post #12 of 14 Old 01-08-2018, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Angry Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by process View Post
I have the LG OLED 65B7 with Web OS and the Vizio 4551-D5.
The Vizio remote has a menu option to program the SB.
If tried and tried to get the magic remote to program the SB but to no avail.
I am connected via optical. I have the TV outputing optical. I have CEC turned on but nothing works.
I'm at a loss
Can someone post the settings required?

Thanks
Hello,
Where you able to get ur setup working.. I have the same issue with my 65b7 and a Vizio 4051.. Im able to control volume and turning off sound bar with tv power off but it wont turn on the sound bar when tv power with the remote.. I have it connected through the HDMI arc on the sound bar to hdmi arc on the TV.. I called Vizio with no resolution.. Would greatly appreciate your help..
post #13 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgomez View Post
Hello,
Where you able to get ur setup working.. I have the same issue with my 65b7 and a Vizio 4051.. Im able to control volume and turning off sound bar with tv power off but it wont turn on the sound bar when tv power with the remote.. I have it connected through the HDMI arc on the sound bar to hdmi arc on the TV.. I called Vizio with no resolution.. Would greatly appreciate your help..
Same boat here. Any solution?
post #14 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was able to make it work!
They was setting the audio to Pass Through. Once that was done, it worked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page