SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 453Likes

post #301 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Q for you guys: Do you plugin your blu-ray player into sound bar and soundbar into TV or both soundbar and blu-ray player plug into TV? Or it doesn't matter?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
Q for you guys: Do you plugin your blu-ray player into sound bar and soundbar into TV or both soundbar and blu-ray player plug into TV? Or it doesn't matter?

TIA
Blu ray has to go into soundbar to get atmos. Because the TV cant pass atmos to the soundbar
relaxnl likes this.
post #303 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil0909 View Post
Blu ray has to go into soundbar to get atmos. Because the TV cant pass atmos to the soundbar

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvag98 View Post
Amazon US currently has this bar on sale for $1,380.21
Those A-Holes they better price match my order.
post #305 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntharia View Post
Those A-Holes they better price match my order.
I'm sure they will. Still, I don't really understand why there would be a sale or price drop already. But good for us, I guess.
post #306 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Whoa. Didn't expect it so soon, but B&H shipped my sound bar. Will let peeps know how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaronwt and kinglm like this.
post #307 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If anyone is trying to buy the soundbar from BestBuy, use the sku# 5818700. Only can be ordered in store

aaronwt likes this.
post #308 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Isn't anyone else concerned with conflicting DTS support information from Sony reps? Look at the attached image. Frustrating. DTS is not exactly cutting edge and the prio ST9 model supports it.

The ST5000 manual states DTS is not supported, which is likely the answer. Definitely second guessing my order right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon vs bh900.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	2180017  
post #309 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 09:08 PM

I don't believe the B&H response to my question. Just an ignorant answer to my question, which is pretty standard nowadays with customer service reps. They just say anything, and don't actually look for the truth. I'm banking on multiple other statements from more reputable sources saying that it will receive the appropriate DTS updates. "Hardware issue". Seriously??? Ha.

post #310 of 2390 Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 PM

Yes. DTS is not supported...Now...which is accurate information for the manual...again...right now.

post #311 of 2390 Old 06-09-2017, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Funny that's my thought on the A1E with way it sits you would either sit the bar right in front of the screen for now until he hung it on wall. Which for me personally is not an option I don't like my TV hanging on the wall! That's also why the A1E is not really an option for me but that's for another thread. You could probably hang the bar somehow off the stand or get a stand with a shelf that juts out if you had a low screen that would interrupt the ir or block you viewing area like the A1E sitting on a stand. I hear the you can adjust upfires depending on your ceiling height also! Which is a cool feature!
Why don't you like the A1E if it's just sitting on the stand?
I'd have to get a new tv stand to accommodate the Atmos sound bar because of the way the A1E sits, hanging it is not an option for me. I haven't decided on which tv to upgrade yet I currently have a Sony XBR 930C. The A1E, Z9D are currently my options now unless Sony comes out with something else in the next 1-2 years. Plus I'm upgrading size from 65 to a 75 and A1E 77 inch is a lil over my budget lol
post #312 of 2390 Old 06-09-2017, 07:37 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9426 Post(s)
Liked: 6108
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix222 View Post
Isn't anyone else concerned with conflicting DTS support information from Sony reps? Look at the attached image. Frustrating. DTS is not exactly cutting edge and the prio ST9 model supports it.

The ST5000 manual states DTS is not supported, which is likely the answer. Definitely second guessing my order right now.
This has been known for months now. It's another reason I want to get it from Best Buy since I have 45 days for returns there.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #313 of 2390 Old 06-09-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
This has been known for months now. It's another reason I want to get it from Best Buy since I have 45 days for returns there.
That's a good idea. I ordered the sound bar online to avoid paying tax and because it was immediately available on from Focus Camera on Amazon. I preordered it on B&H about 6 weeks ago. Their expected arrival dates jumped from June 6 to July 31st, so I quickly ordered the last ST5000 at Focus Camera on Amazon.
Looks like Amazon raised the price to $1500 again, or I would have been kicking myself for not having Best Buy price match it at $1398.
post #314 of 2390 Old 06-09-2017, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix222 View Post
That's a good idea. I ordered the sound bar online to avoid paying tax and because it was immediately available on from Focus Camera on Amazon. I preordered it on B&H about 6 weeks ago. Their expected arrival dates jumped from June 6 to July 31st, so I quickly ordered the last ST5000 at Focus Camera on Amazon.
Looks like Amazon raised the price to $1500 again, or I would have been kicking myself for not having Best Buy price match it at $1398.
When I called Amazon they said they had no price match guarantee and the only way to get it cheaper would be to reject the package and reorder. I always enjoyed Amazon's customer service and understand why they have that policy or thing would get crazy but it left a sour taste in my mouth. I am now wondering if they received more than one phone call and decided to put the price back.... MY BAD
post #315 of 2390 Old 06-09-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
I'd have to get a new tv stand to accommodate the Atmos sound bar because of the way the A1E sits, hanging it is not an option for me. I haven't decided on which tv to upgrade yet I currently have a Sony XBR 930C. The A1E, Z9D are currently my options now unless Sony comes out with something else in the next 1-2 years. Plus I'm upgrading size from 65 to a 75 and A1E 77 inch is a lil over my budget lol
Can't you get a TV riser?
post #316 of 2390 Old 06-09-2017, 11:53 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9426 Post(s)
Liked: 6108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntharia View Post
When I called Amazon they said they had no price match guarantee and the only way to get it cheaper would be to reject the package and reorder. I always enjoyed Amazon's customer service and understand why they have that policy or thing would get crazy but it left a sour taste in my mouth. I am now wondering if they received more than one phone call and decided to put the price back.... MY BAD
I thought with Amazon, for actual Amazon sold items, that if you pre-order and the price is lowered during that time period. That you get the lowest price they listed it for sale during the pre-order period.

EDIT: I guess it depends on the item. I found this on the Amazon website

Quote:
Whenever you pre-order a physical item displaying the “Pre-order Price Guarantee” message on the product detail page, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date.
So I guess it has to specially state that there is a pre-order price guarantee to be able to take advantage of it?

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #317 of 2390 Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
Whoa. Didn't expect it so soon, but B&H shipped my sound bar. Will let peeps know how it is.

Please do!! And what TV are you using with the soundbar?
post #318 of 2390 Old 06-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Additional Rear Surround Speakers

Anyone know if additional rear satellite surrounds will able to be added to this bar in the future, possibly also with upward firing ones for a 7.1.4 setup?
post #319 of 2390 Old 06-10-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Prezbindowski View Post
Please do!! And what TV are you using with the soundbar?

LG B6 OLED with UBP-X800.

post #320 of 2390 Old 06-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Prezbindowski View Post
Anyone know if additional rear satellite surrounds will able to be added to this bar in the future, possibly also with upward firing ones for a 7.1.4 setup?

Sony does have Bluetooth satellites. I'm curious if they work as well.

post #321 of 2390 Old 06-10-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Picked mine up this afternoon from Magnolia - literally came off the truck from their distribution center in Virginia. Tried a price match from Amazon but no go since it is not in stock right now.

Setup was easy enough, and integration with my Sony Z9D TV is nice. Build quality is premium. The base unit is a beast, heavy and tight sound wise. Very well packaged, but heavy due to the base unit.

One HDMI ARC connection to the TV and 3 inputs on the bar simplifies the setup. Plus the smart TV apps passes sound easily.

Sound is impressive. I need to feed it blu-ray and UHD content to really hear its potential, but first impressions are very positive. Feeding via my OPPO 203 really brings it to life.

It fits perfect under/in front off my Z9D. Con is the top of the sound bar will reflect light from the TV.

Love the switching between cable, the OPPO and PS4.

Not easy/clear it is passing ATMOS because the display doesn't show that just the input HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.

The sound is clear and rich and I can feel the bass effects vibrating on the floor and through the couch...😄

Cable management isn't completely clean on my TV console.

This is a very capable and impressive sounding bar!

My first early impressions.
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by kinglm; 06-10-2017 at 08:20 PM.
post #322 of 2390 Old 06-10-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Picked mine up this afternoon from Magnolia - literally came off the truck from their distribution center in Virginia. Tried a price match from Amazon but no go since it is not in stock right now.

Setup was easy enough, and integration with my Sony Z9D TV is nice. Build quality is premium. The base unit is a beast, heavy and tight sound wise. Very well packaged, but heavy due to the base unit.

One HDMI ARC connection to the TV and 3 inputs on the bar simplifies the setup. Plus the smart TV apps passes sound easily.

Sound is impressive. I need to feed it blu-ray and UHD content to really hear its potential, but first impressions are very positive. Feeding via my OPPO 203 really brings it to life.

It fits perfect under/in front off my Z9D. Con is the top of the sound bar will reflect light from the TV.

Love the switching between cable, the OPPO and PS4.

Not easy/clear it is passing ATMOS because the display doesn't show that just the input HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.

The sound is clear and rich and I can feel the bass effects vibrating on the floor and through the couch...

Cable management isn't completely clean on my TV console.

This is a very capable and impressive sounding bar!

My first early impressions.

Thanks for the info. Curious about Atmos confirmation too. Maybe stick your ear to the up-firing speakers? ha. I wonder if my X800 will say Atmos if it's sending it. Right now it just displays 7.1 etc. when you select the Atmos track. Hmm

kinglm likes this.
post #323 of 2390 Old 06-11-2017, 12:08 AM

Liked: 13
I pickup mine too today also came from VA. The bar has a lot of power and blows my HT-NT5 out of the water. Had to turn down the sub to 2. The NT5 was a bad investment IMO. The Bar showed me Dolby Atmos once but I didn't really feel the effect as I'd hope but again its midnight and don't want to wake the neighbors. Will give it a proper go in the AM. Any info, thoughs if i'm missing something is much appreciated
aaronwt likes this.
post #324 of 2390 Old 06-11-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Sony does have Bluetooth satellites. I'm curious if they work as well.

As of now this is a no, I'm hoping that they do add it in future FW
post #325 of 2390 Old 06-11-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiks View Post
I pickup mine too today also came from VA. The bar has a lot of power and blows my HT-NT5 out of the water. Had to turn down the sub to 2. The NT5 was a bad investment IMO. The Bar showed me Dolby Atmos once but I didn't really feel the effect as I'd hope but again its midnight and don't want to wake the neighbors. Will give it a proper go in the AM. Any info, thoughs if i'm missing something is much appreciated

"The Bar showed me Atmos"

So there is a way to have the bar display what is being output other than simply displaying HMI 1, 2 etc.?

post #326 of 2390 Old 06-11-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
"The Bar showed me Atmos"

So there is a way to have the bar display what is being output other than simply displaying HMI 1, 2 etc.?

Yes, I was watching Mad Max on Vudu, I got it to show when I hit DISPLAY on my HT-NT5 remote if that helps

Last edited by saiks; 06-11-2017 at 05:55 AM.
post #327 of 2390 Old 06-11-2017, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am furious right now, I pre-ordered this $1500 soundbar from Best buy and got it today and yes its a nice product but I feel scammed.

1) Sony's marketing PDF said it supported DTS:HD, Sony's rep at best buy told me it supported DTS:HD and DTS:X and the manual says it doesnt. Now I check the marketing PDF and its been removed!!! WTF. If this is coming via an update then fine, but if its never coming I am really pissed. I dont have the original PDF that said DTS:HD but you can see it here: https://www.avsforum.com/sony-ht-sr50...o-at-ces-2017/

2) this one is the biggest gripe, I bought dual Sony SRS Z5 bluetooth speakers to use as rears, mounted them nicely ($200 speakers EACH) because the Sony site for this soundbar said it supported Wireless surround. I go to set this up in the soundpal app and its not an option so I go on the sony website and they REMOVED wireless surround as a feature!!! WTF!!!! This is complete bull****.

3) THe very first time I turned it on, I was able to hit options and got on screen options, i was able to hit display and it gave me the input (7.1 lpcm) on the screen. Now those features just stopped working all together. I have no idea if Atmos is actually working properly or not.

The plus side is unlike the LG SJ9 I returned, this soundbar seems to properly handle 4k HDR hdcp 2.2 pass through.

I am really pissed right now, I spent $1500 + $400 because it was advertised as having certain features and now those features have disappeared. The biggest reason I bought this bar was the two things that they back tracked on wireless surround and DTS:HD. I should have screen capped the website when it said it supported wireless surround but i didnt think i needed to because i didnt expect to get screwed.

if DTS:HD / DTS:X and Wireless surround come soon in a firmware update and that is confirmed then I am ok with that, I can wait but if they are just never coming (WHY WOULDNT WIRELESS SURROUND COME? its on the much cheaper sound bars!) i am def returning this thing. for $1500 i can probably get a nice setup with a receiver instead.

Last edited by mike240se; 06-11-2017 at 06:07 AM.
post #328 of 2390 Old 06-11-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike240se View Post
I am furious right now, I pre-ordered this $1500 soundbar from Best buy and got it today and yes its a nice product but I feel scammed.

1) Sony's marketing PDF said it supported DTS:HD, Sony's rep at best buy told me it supported DTS:HD and DTS:X and the manual says it doesnt. Now I check the marketing PDF and its been removed!!! WTF. If this is coming via an update then fine, but if its never coming I am really pissed. I dont have the original PDF that said DTS:HD but you can see it here: https://www.avsforum.com/sony-ht-sr50...o-at-ces-2017/

2) this one is the biggest gripe, I bought dual Sony SRS Z5 bluetooth speakers to use as rears, mounted them nicely ($200 speakers EACH) because the Sony site for this soundbar said it supported Wireless surround. I go to set this up in the soundpal app and its not an option so I go on the sony website and they REMOVED wireless surround as a feature!!! WTF!!!! This is complete bull****.

3) THe very first time I turned it on, I was able to hit options and got on screen options, i was able to hit display and it gave me the input (7.1 lpcm) on the screen. Now those features just stopped working all together. I have no idea if Atmos is actually working properly or not.

The plus side is unlike the LG SJ9 I returned, this soundbar seems to properly handle 4k HDR hdcp 2.2 pass through.

I am really pissed right now, I spent $1500 + $400 because it was advertised as having certain features and now those features have disappeared. The biggest reason I bought this bar was the two things that they back tracked on wireless surround and DTS:HD. I should have screen capped the website when it said it supported wireless surround but i didnt think i needed to because i didnt expect to get screwed.

if DTS:HD / DTS:X and Wireless surround come soon in a firmware update and that is confirmed then I am ok with that, I can wait but if they are just never coming (WHY WOULDNT WIRELESS SURROUND COME? its on the much cheaper sound bars!) i am def returning this thing. for $1500 i can probably get a nice setup with a receiver instead.
A sony guy who did a review on youtube said dts:x is coming, but in all honesty if you have the space, you can get an awesome setup for the price man! you said you spent 1,900$, i can recommend for you a setup at less than that price which includes atmos enabled speakers that are still rated among the very best you can buy at the moment!!
SuperFist likes this.
post #329 of 2390 Old 06-11-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
A sony guy who did a review on youtube said dts:x is coming, but in all honesty if you have the space, you can get an awesome setup for the price man! you said you spent 1,900$, i can recommend for you a setup at less than that price which includes atmos enabled speakers that are still rated among the very best you can buy at the moment!!
Yeah please do because I am getting tired of the soundbar bull****. First the SJ9 with all its problems and now this.

I want DTS and Atmos, I want the ability to use wireless rears and I want atmos up firing speakers. The only reason I didnt get a receiver is I dont have room for large speakers up front but I have room for a slim center channel (about the height of this soundbar) and wall mount fronts. i dont have room for sides though.

Does DTS:X coming also mean DTS:HD coming? I have a bunch of DTS content that I want to be able to play. Does this thing do regular old school DTS 5.1?
post #330 of 2390 Old 06-11-2017, 06:33 AM

Even crutchfield says this thing supports DTS HD

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Gw2MA4...HT-ST5000.html

The fact I cant use my SRS Z5's I just mounted as wireless surround is bothering me more than anything else. I bought these to use as real rears as the virutal surround of these sound bars suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page