SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 448Likes

post #511 of 2363 Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhops10 View Post
Guys I need some help deciding on this bar vs the HT-ST9.

I realize I'm in the ST5000 thread, but right now it's priced at $1,500 or $1,300 if I buy a TV which I will. I can find the HT-ST9 for about $600. Is this bar worth the price difference? Currently, all I need it is for movies, primarily streaming off Amazon/Netflix, watching sports and some music. I like the idea of HDR but not sure if it's worth the difference it's currently at right now. Part of me wants a more current and near future-proof soundbar.

My thought was to get the HT-ST9 to hold me down until the ST5000 drops to around 1k in pricing. At that point it'll be like having two bars for slightly more than what I would pay right now. Any thoughts would be appreciated, considering value to quality. Thanks!
Let me spell out few options for you. Please note I am not recommending one over the other. Go through it and make up your mind. My use case is also pretty similar to yours: Amazon/Netflix Premium Streaming, Sling TV, Music, Sports & YouTube.

If you are not planning to buy SONY TV and could live with LG OLED C7 for example you could get SJ9 sound bar for $449 and the TV for $2300 (this week only in US). Later during thanksgiving you could add HT-ST5000 to the mix and sell off SJ9 for $300-$400 (People will go crazy to get Atmos sound bar at that price and given how LG changes pricing C7 OLED will be a hot sell on the market like B6 last year).

If you are planning to buy SONY Non-OLED TV you could get up to $200 off on HTNT5 (its $599 without TV) meaning it will be priced at $399 for you. Its not a bad sound bar either. You can then wait till thanksgiving. I am guessing HT-ST5000 will be in between $900-$1000 then. You could sell off your HTNT5 for $200-$300 and use that money towards HT-ST5000 purchase.

If you are planning to buy Sony OLED (A1E), get a subwoofer for <$200 and wait it out till thanksgiving. Attaching a subwoofer to Sony OLED (which itself has a great sound coming out of it) will provide decent bass to your TV sound. I am planning that solution for time being and then will get HT-ST 5000 during thanksgiving to pair up with my Bravia OLED. Hope by then SONY really does firmware update to support DTS-X and DTS Master Audio.

Having both HT-ST9 and HT-ST5000 seems quite redundant to me. Once you have ST5000, you won't be using ST9 that often or at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 2363 Old 07-05-2017, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 296
You mention also getting a new TV...will it be 4K and HDR? If so you'll probably want the HDR pass through the 5000 gives you.
post #513 of 2363 Old 07-05-2017, 06:44 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9300 Post(s)
Liked: 5984
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhops10 View Post
Guys I need some help deciding on this bar vs the HT-ST9.

I realize I'm in the ST5000 thread, but right now it's priced at $1,500 or $1,300 if I buy a TV which I will. I can find the HT-ST9 for about $600. Is this bar worth the price difference? Currently, all I need it is for movies, primarily streaming off Amazon/Netflix, watching sports and some music. I like the idea of HDR but not sure if it's worth the difference it's currently at right now. Part of me wants a more current and near future-proof soundbar.

My thought was to get the HT-ST9 to hold me down until the ST5000 drops to around 1k in pricing. At that point it'll be like having two bars for slightly more than what I would pay right now. Any thoughts would be appreciated, considering value to quality. Thanks!
The HTST9 is old now. And only has HDMI 2.0 inputs. So you can't connect any devices to it that you want to view HDR from. At this point, I would never buy any sound bar or receiver that couldn't handle at least HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2.

My current speaker bar is old too. An HT-NT3 I bought in 2015. So it has the same limitations as the HT-ST9. But I knew those limitations when I purchased it. But it was half price when I got my SOny UHDT TV in 2015. I had been considering the Sony ST5000, but in the end decided to get a small Onkyo Atmos home theater system, for 40% less than the ST5000. Partially because of the price, and partially because it has eight HDMI inputs. And partially because it handles DTS:X right now.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-05-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 2363 Old 07-05-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I connect everything to the bar via HDMI and one cable to TV. I'm guessing that cable has to support UHD and I'll get sounds from TV/apps same cable via ARC to soundbar?
post #515 of 2363 Old 07-05-2017, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Best buy had this rig on demo and I listened to a demo video of Everest with Atmos sound. Tried the Bose Soundtouch 300 with the same video (not atmos) and wow it really put the Bose to shame. I had my kid with me so I didn't have a chance to spend a bunch of time with it though. I came away impressed with the little sample I heard though.
aaronwt likes this.
post #516 of 2363 Old 07-05-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
I connect everything to the bar via HDMI and one cable to TV. I'm guessing that cable has to support UHD and I'll get sounds from TV/apps same cable via ARC to soundbar?
Yes, exactly right. It comes with one HDMI cable.
post #517 of 2363 Old 07-05-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks to all for their input. I'll be hooking this unit up to a 900E so yes I will eventually need it to be HDR compatible. However, currently streaming Amazon/Netflix is the only option and maybe down the road I'll get an Ultra BR player.

I was looking to justify the value of the HT-ST9 now, or slightly discounted ST5000. I'm sure if I was at Best Buy demoing the unit it wouldn't be a comparison. If the ST5000 drops to about 1k during Thanksgiving I would have been able to get two soundbars for roughly the same price as purchasing the ST5000 now. I could use the second HT-ST9 bar in another small loft area if I went that route. Decisions, decisions.
post #518 of 2363 Old 07-06-2017, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The HTST9 is old now. And only has HDMI 2.0 inputs. So you can't connect any devices to it that you want to view HDR from. At this point, I would never buy any sound bar or receiver that couldn't handle at least HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2.

My current speaker bar is old too. An HT-NT3 I bought in 2015. So it has the same limitations as the HT-ST9. But I knew those limitations when I purchased it. But it was half price when I got my SOny UHDT TV in 2015. I had been considering the Sony ST5000, but in the end decided to get a small Onkyo Atmos home theater system, for 40% less than the ST5000. Partially because of the price, and partially because it has eight HDMI inputs. And partially because it handles DTS:X right now.
You must have a European ST9. My US ST9 has 3 2.0 inputs. The one sold on Amazon have 3 too.
post #519 of 2363 Old 07-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Anyone know if this bar will work with Amazon Echo? Would be nice to tell the Echo to play some music and it plays to the bar.
post #520 of 2363 Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest1023 View Post
You must have a European ST9. My US ST9 has 3 2.0 inputs. The one sold on Amazon have 3 too.
ANd HDMI 2.0 is old now. That is what I wrote. You need HDMI 2.0a for HDR.

HDMI 2.0 will only work with SDR UHD content.

post #521 of 2363 Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
Interesting regarding DV passthrough as I heard that was coming late in the year along with DTS support. There haven't been any updates released as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone have an official Sony's statement that they will add DTS to this unit?

As much as I would like DTS decoding on board. I rather much see DSD playback via network stream.

Last edited by rotarydude; 07-06-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #522 of 2363 Old 07-06-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
Anyone have an official Sony's statement that they will add DTS to this unit?

As much as I would like DTS decoding on board. I rather much see DSD playback via network stream.

Sony reps don't know jack it seems. I've had two separate sales guys who reached out to their Sony rep and both Sony reps said that DTS is supported CURRENTLY.
post #523 of 2363 Old 07-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynerd View Post
Sony reps don't know jack it seems. I've had two separate sales guys who reached out to their Sony rep and both Sony reps said that DTS is supported CURRENTLY.
Well I own this unit, and can say it doesn't support on-board DTS decoding. It DOES however take LPCM 5.1.

Reading this thread I saw that person (bcourt99) read somewhere it will have DTS support be added with Dolby Vision. I haven't read anything like that.

Last edited by rotarydude; 07-06-2017 at 02:48 PM.
post #524 of 2363 Old 07-06-2017, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm not personally claiming it will. Ha. An article I posted, stolen from someone else, written by a blogger, referenced that DV passthrough support will be added at the end of the year. I'm not bored enough to go back and find my post DTS support has been claimed by a few sources/articles over the months.

tearfalls likes this.
post #525 of 2363 Old 07-06-2017, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
Well I own this unit, and can say it doesn't support on-board DTS decoding. It DOES however take LPCM 5.1.

Reading this thread I saw that person (bcourt99) read somewhere it will have DTS support be added with Dolby Vision. I haven't read anything like that.
These reps are level 1 andlike you said don't know jack, lol. As it seem we know more than those guys. Any real info would be coming from level 3 and up.
post #526 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The DTS support via future firmware update has been pulled from the Sony web site. Currently, if you get through to the right person, level 2 or 3 they will tell you DTS is not likely to ever be supported on this model. No details were given why it was pulled, but most are guessing licensing cost was not agreed to.

If you have many DTS movies, that may be a deciding factor alone. The only other new one besides the LG (which many owners say did not impress at all) that has both and good sound is the Pioneer Elite FS-EB 70 soundbar. Don't know how it sounds in comparison, so you may have to make major trade offs somewhere. Also, the Sony is HUGE (abou 58 inches long) if that matters in your placement.
post #527 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post
The DTS support via future firmware update has been pulled from the Sony web site. Currently, if you get through to the right person, level 2 or 3 they will tell you DTS is not likely to ever be supported on this model. No details were given why it was pulled, but most are guessing licensing cost was not agreed to.

If you have many DTS movies, that may be a deciding factor alone. The only other new one besides the LG (which many owners say did not impress at all) that has both and good sound is the Pioneer Elite FS-EB 70 soundbar. Don't know how it sounds in comparison, so you may have to make major trade offs somewhere. Also, the Sony is HUGE (abou 58 inches long) if that matters in your placement.
So I picked up this soundbar last night.

The tech in this bar is quite cool. I'm no audiophile but the sound on this bar is very good to my ears. I was impressed. My wife however was NOT impressed by the price. So I think this is going to have to go back.

I played music through my Xbox which was set to output dolby atmos and wow the sound really envelops you.

The DTS thing is a bit of a concern, I tried to play Moana and of course it only has DTS English and did not play. I need to test out if I can change a setting on my Xbox to make it work but straight up it failed. Most of my content is digital as I've set up a Plex server, and even with DTS audio on those digital files they play just fine.

I easily connected my Amazon echo to the bar via Bluetooth and it worked perfectly. Once I established the pairing all I had to do was to tell the Echo to connect to a speaker and then told Echo what to play. Quite simple.

Set up was pretty simple, and I'll probably keep it for a couple more days and sadly bring it back, I will try to convince my wife that it's a 'good' thing. We'll see how convincing I can be.

So the search continues...Dennon Heos looks technically good at about half the price, I dunno how it sounds though. Doesn't seem to be a bar that is talked about much.
post #528 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Liked: 1
I don't know what Sony rep level Darkcloud1983 is, but as he has stated on his Youtube channel, HT-ST5000 WILL support DTS:X later this year. At least I have no reason to question him.

Talk is cheap. Do you have first-hand experience or something in written that DTS is not likely to ever be supported?

Quote:

post #529 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:

DTS support via future update on the Sony Website? I've never seen that. If it was there, that was very new. Although I haven't look at anything since I got the Bar.

post #530 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynerd View Post
The DTS thing is a bit of a concern, I tried to play Moana and of course it only has DTS English and did not play. I need to test out if I can change a setting on my Xbox to make it work but straight up it failed. Most of my content is digital as I've set up a Plex server, and even with DTS audio on those digital files they play just fine.
You can. If you go unto the main settings menu, under the Blu-ray player, there's a checkbox to "Let my receiver decode audio." If you want to play a disc with only DTS audio, you'll have to uncheck that box, and then the Xbox will decode it and pass LPCM to the soundbar. Not super elegant, but should get the job done.

I've been using the Sony X800 to play blu-rays, which has worked out pretty well. It seems to be smart enough to figure out if the receiver can decode the audio or not, and adjust itself accordingly. So for my ST5000, it will send the bitstream for titles with Dolby Atmos tracks, but will automatically decode titles with only DTS. It's probably not ideal, but works well enough for me not to be too concerned about the lack of DTS support.

Besides, this thing really does sound fantastic.
post #531 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM77 View Post
I don't know what Sony rep level Darkcloud1983 is, but as he has stated on his Youtube channel, HT-ST5000 WILL support DTS:X later this year. At least I have no reason to question him.

Talk is cheap. Do you have first-hand experience or something in written that DTS is not likely to ever be supported?
You are a new member it seems which is fine, but let's not get into the whole "talk is cheap" thing because that degrades threads really fast.

First, this so called "Darkclould1983" is NOT and OFFICIAL Sony rep as far as I know. Sony does not have any outside sources like this that are officially acknowledged by Sony, other than what is posted on their company web site and what they post on Youtube.

Second, all I have is what I posted prior. It was posted on the Sony website for awhile, but then taken down. Officially they are stating there is no DTS support and unknown if it will ever get it.

I can try find the Sony reps names, but it would require time and you can take it for what it is or try to get a level 2 or 3 tech yourself.
post #532 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You are a new member it seems which is fine, but let's not get into the whole "talk is cheap" thing because that degrades threads really fast.

First, this so called "Darkclould1983" is NOT and OFFICIAL Sony rep as far as I know. Sony does not have any outside sources like this that are officially acknowledged by Sony, other than what is posted on their company web site and what they post on Youtube.

Second, all I have is what I posted prior. It was posted on the Sony website for awhile, but then taken down. Officially they are stating there is no DTS support and unknown if it will ever get it.

I can try find the Sony reps names, but it would require time and you can take it for what it is or try to get a level 2 or 3 tech yourself.
As far as I'm concerned if it's not printed somewhere official such as their website you can't rely on anything. Hell even the website changed. Based upon this I'd say it's not likely to be implemented in the future. But you never know!
post #533 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 AM

A long time reader, first time poster.

Darkcloud1983 works at Sony. He might not be posting videos on official Sony channel, but you know he demoed the soundbar at CES 2017?

As a product manager in ICT-Company, I understand 100%, what he can and what he can't say officially. That said I understand 100% why Sony will not acknowledge DTS support on their website until it is ready. That is because all the zillion whys and whens about the release. Current situation is far from optimal, but I am pretty sure that they will let you know "when it is done".

Quote:

post #534 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Darkcloud1983 works at Sony. He might not be posting videos on official Sony channel, but you know he demoed the soundbar at CES 2017?

As a product manager in ICT-Company, I understand 100%, what he can and what he can't say officially. That said I understand 100% why Sony will not acknowledge DTS support on their website until it is ready. That is because all the zillion whys and whens about the release. Current situation is far from optimal, but I am pretty sure that they will let you know "when it is done".

Yup. He did demo it. That's why I believe him.....a little bit. But things change. Although I can say, that after back and forth discussions on YouTube with him, he doesn't know much about the tech side of things, like how Bitstream and PCM works. Ha

post #535 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Yea, probably so.. but the tech guys knowledge about the bells and whistles under the hood does not equal how the company handles product/service releases and updates or customer relations. This is something I know first-hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
Yup. He did demo it. That's why I believe him.....a little bit. But things change. Although I can say, that after back and forth discussions on YouTube with him, he doesn't know much about the tech side of things, like how Bitstream and PCM works. Ha

post #536 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 10:39 AM
UHD Addict

I see they have open Box ST5000 units at Best Buy now. But only for $150 less than the normal price for a new one.

post #537 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Guys forgive my newb question here (still learning all this stuff), but if your source (such as UBP-X800 or Xbox One S) can decode DTS and pass it off to the soundbar as PCM doesn't that "get around" the whole lack of DTS problem so to say? Is there any benefit to having the soundbar itself decode the DTS audio as oppose to the source?
post #538 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.HD View Post
Guys forgive my newb question here (still learning all this stuff), but if your source (such as UBP-X800 or Xbox One S) can decode DTS and pass it off to the soundbar as PCM doesn't that "get around" the whole lack of DTS problem so to say? Is there any benefit to having the soundbar itself decode the DTS audio as oppose to the source?

Yes. Object based sound formats such as Atmos and DTS:x need to be decoded and played by the AVR/Bar. Those won't work as PCM.

post #539 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And when he replied to my question about DV support he said...

"At the moment no"...then a week later replied "correction yes it can".
post #540 of 2363 Old 07-07-2017, 02:58 PM

Just watched Spare Change's review of the Bar on YouTube. In the comments section of the video, he mentions that some people that he personally knows in the industry have hinted at a DTS update coming. Does state that it isn't official however.

Just another source. Grain of Salt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page