SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 438Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 2346 Old 02-14-2017, 10:37 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,689
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9128 Post(s)
Liked: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
how can this cost more than the Samsung 950 Atmos soundbar, which has wireless surrounds? dtsX doesn't justify the extra premium
Well since it's a Sony SOundbar, it also deals with more audio formats. The Samsung can't even handle 5.1 DTS, let alone 7.1 DTS-HD MA. Even my Sony speaker bar from 2012 could handle all the advanced audio formats up to 7.1.

And my 2008 Sony speaker bar could handle 7.1 PCM. The Samsung can't handle that either.(based on Crutchfield info)
hsinnott likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 2346 Old 02-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is this sounbar better than the Samsung Atmos soundbar with rear speakers?
John1979 is offline  
post #33 of 2346 Old 02-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Northern California
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 63
It is not out yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
eaadams is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 2346 Old 02-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Well since it's a Sony SOundbar, it also deals with more audio formats. The Samsung can't even handle 5.1 DTS, let alone 7.1 DTS-HD MA. Even my Sony speaker bar from 2012 could handle all the advanced audio formats up to 7.1.

And my 2008 Sony speaker bar could handle 7.1 PCM. The Samsung can't handle that either.(based on Crutchfield info)
I think we should look at the official specifications from the Sony HT-ST5000 and they don't say anything about DTS 5.1, DTS-HD or DTS:X support. I also emaild Sony about this and they don't confirm that this soundbar does support DTS.

Audio:
DOLBY®
Dolby® ATMOS, Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital+, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Dual Mono
Dizer is offline  
post #35 of 2346 Old 02-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
hsinnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
how can this cost more than the Samsung 950 Atmos soundbar, which has wireless surrounds? dtsX doesn't justify the extra premium
...almost certainly better sounding, oh and fingers crossed, won't have the disconnect problem with the sub that the Samsung does (as well as with it's rear spks).
And it will hopefully support dts-X.
hsinnott is offline  
post #36 of 2346 Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,689
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9128 Post(s)
Liked: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizer View Post
I think we should look at the official specifications from the Sony HT-ST5000 and they don't say anything about DTS 5.1, DTS-HD or DTS:X support. I also emaild Sony about this and they don't confirm that this soundbar does support DTS.

Audio:
DOLBY®
Dolby® ATMOS, Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital+, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Dual Mono
That would be a first for a Sony sound bar. Since they have handled DTS since 2008 or earlier. And have handled all of the advanced audio formats since at least 2012.

But if for some reason it can't handle DTS(Like if DOlby paid them to drop DTS?), it would make the SOny Atmos bar worthless. Just like the Samsung soundbar is worthless. Since most disc tracks use a DTS advanced audio codec. Not a Dolby Digital Advanced audio format. And I would see no point in using a soundbar that can't handle the majority audio format used on Blu-ray Discs.

EDIT: And I certainly hope the specs are not correct. It only shows 96k/24 bit PCM. My 2012 and 2015 Sony Speaker bars handled up to 7.1, 192Khz PCM audio. That would be a huge step backwards to only handle 96Khz pcm audio.

Hopefully the manual for the ST5000 shows up on the UK or US SOny site soon.
hsinnott likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 02-21-2017 at 11:10 AM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #37 of 2346 Old 02-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That would be a first for a Sony sound bar. Since they have handled DTS since 2008 or earlier. And have handled all of the advanced audio formats since at least 2012.

But if for some reason it can't handle DTS(Like if DOlby paid them to drop DTS?), it would make the SOny Atmos bar worthless. Just like the Samsung soundbar is worthless. Since most disc tracks use a DTS advanced audio codec. Not a Dolby Digital Advanced audio format. And I would see no point in using a soundbar that can't handle the majority audio format used on Blu-ray Discs.

EDIT: And I certainly hope the specs are not correct. It only shows 96k/24 bit PCM. My 2012 and 2015 Sony Speaker bars handled up to 7.1, 192Khz PCM audio. That would be a huge step backwards to only handle 96Khz pcm audio.

Hopefully the manual for the ST5000 shows up on the UK or US SOny site soon.
Yea I highly doubt it won't handle DTS it would be incredibly dumb to make such a premium Atmos soundbar and leave out so much.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
hingerson is offline  
post #38 of 2346 Old 03-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Showing on B&H for $1,498.00 USD. Expected end of May, 2017. Spendy for a soundbar. For those that don't have the space for a true surround system, or wish to have one for other reasons, it seems to be the option with the most up-to-date features. It just better be able to handle all the Hi-Res audio formats and DTS formats including DTS:X when launched.
bcourt99 is offline  
post #39 of 2346 Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Member
 
mud sloth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
Showing on B&H for $1,498.00 USD. Expected end of May, 2017. Spendy for a soundbar. For those that don't have the space for a true surround system, or wish to have one for other reasons, it seems to be the option with the most up-to-date features. It just better be able to handle all the Hi-Res audio formats and DTS formats including DTS:X when launched.
It's a lot more than I should spend on an upgrade to my YSP-2200, but as long as it supports the HD audio formats it'll be worth it. It'll be the only Atmos bar that can handle every type of audio thrown at it while being able to passthrough 4K and HDR.

Though, it would mean that I end up spending more on a soundbar than my TV. I guess that's a little ridiculous.
aaronwt likes this.
mud sloth is offline  
post #40 of 2346 Old 03-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Northern California
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud sloth View Post

Though, it would mean that I end up spending more on a soundbar than my TV. I guess that's a little ridiculous.
That is easily fixed. Upgrade time!

I think it is a lot but it is new. Perhaps we will see new devices drop costs. I wish I knew if this would work in my room.



Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
eaadams is offline  
post #41 of 2346 Old 03-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Member
 
mud sloth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post
That is easily fixed. Upgrade time!

I think it is a lot but it is new. Perhaps we will see new devices drop costs. I wish I knew if this would work in my room.



Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Well, the TV is still pretty new. Vizio P55 from last year. The only upgrade would be in size, but it's already too big for how close I sit, so that wouldn't add much. But, the old soundbar is feeling a little light on features these days and I want my next upgrade to be fairly future-proof. Might as well buy the best.
mud sloth is offline  
post #42 of 2346 Old 03-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Member
 
saiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Saw this on B&H site that it will be priced @ $1498
aaronwt likes this.
saiks is offline  
post #43 of 2346 Old 03-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Member
 
blackbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was at a Best Buy yesterday, a Sony rep happened to be in the HT department and we got to talking about the upcoming HT5000.


He claims it will blow away the Samsung because it will be DTS and DTS-X compatable.


And I don't know if I believe this or not, but he claimed that optional wireless Atmos-enabled surround speakers will be available with this system about a month after the bar is released.


I can only hope.
aaronwt likes this.
blackbr is offline  
post #44 of 2346 Old 03-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I've read that it was going to be DTS and DTS-X compatible (with firmware update) but it's good to hear that coming from a rep...still not official in my mind though until I see the specs. Ha.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bcourt99 is offline  
post #45 of 2346 Old 03-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Northern California
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I highly doubt the satalite speakers. If true, I may be sold.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
eaadams is offline  
post #46 of 2346 Old 03-09-2017, 02:28 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,689
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9128 Post(s)
Liked: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post
I highly doubt the satalite speakers. If true, I may be sold.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
But will it be like the HT-NT5 where it seems like the satellite speakers was an afterthought add on? Where there is no way to change the sound field when the speakers are paired to the system.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #47 of 2346 Old 03-10-2017, 12:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbr View Post
I was at a Best Buy yesterday, a Sony rep happened to be in the HT department and we got to talking about the upcoming HT5000.

He claims it will blow away the Samsung because it will be DTS and DTS-X compatable.

And I don't know if I believe this or not, but he claimed that optional wireless Atmos-enabled surround speakers will be available with this system about a month after the bar is released.


I can only hope.


Forgot to ask. Did the rep hint at a release date or was he acting all secret squirrel-ish? B&H says they might have it in stock by end of May but I'm curious if it's being released earlier so it can be possibly snagged elsewhere...
bcourt99 is offline  
post #48 of 2346 Old 03-10-2017, 04:17 AM
Member
 
blackbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
Forgot to ask. Did the rep hint at a release date or was he acting all secret squirrel-ish? B&H says they might have it in stock by end of May but I'm curious if it's being released earlier so it can be possibly snagged elsewhere...
No hints at a release date, I don't think I even asked.
blackbr is offline  
post #49 of 2346 Old 03-10-2017, 05:11 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,689
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9128 Post(s)
Liked: 5857
If it's like the new Sony UHD BD player, BestBuy might be getting it a month before anyone else.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #50 of 2346 Old 03-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Member
 
Jongalt26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbr View Post
No hints at a release date, I don't think I even asked.
B and H has this listed for an end of May release.
Jongalt26 is offline  
post #51 of 2346 Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Northern California
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 63
With the new Denon heos coming out and this, is the annual schedule for Soundbars more or less second quarter?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
eaadams is offline  
post #52 of 2346 Old 03-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Just came back from Best Buy to return the Samsung K950. (I had no clue it didn't support DTS - my mistake.)

If the ST-5000 supports DTS-MA, DTS:X and Atmos along with 3 HDMI ports (as oppose to just 2 like most other soundbars in this price range), I mean geez... this just ticks all the right boxes.

If they release wireless satellite rears after launch, that's just icing on the cake.

Come on Sony! Make our dreams come true!
relaxnl likes this.
Mike.HD is offline  
post #53 of 2346 Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
hsinnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.HD View Post
Just came back from Best Buy to return the Samsung K950. (I had no clue it didn't support DTS - my mistake.)

If the ST-5000 supports DTS-MA, DTS:X and Atmos along with 3 HDMI ports (as oppose to just 2 like most other soundbars in this price range), I mean geez... this just ticks all the right boxes.

If they release wireless satellite rears after launch, that's just icing on the cake.

Come on Sony! Make our dreams come true!
Fingers crossed it will in fact support dts:X in the future. As with many soundbars tho sound quality could depend a lot on your room layout. The calibration feature sounds very promising though.
hsinnott is offline  
post #54 of 2346 Old 03-16-2017, 05:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
The calibration feature sounds very promising though.
I missed that part... are you saying it comes with room correction? Or are you referring to its ability to adjust based on how high your ceiling is?
Mike.HD is offline  
post #55 of 2346 Old 03-16-2017, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
hsinnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.HD View Post
I missed that part... are you saying it comes with room correction? Or are you referring to its ability to adjust based on how high your ceiling is?
I think it does both...
hsinnott is offline  
post #56 of 2346 Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Member
 
Jongalt26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Article posted this week with the expected release date of July (pre-orders open in May).
I dont want to wait that long so I guess its between the W studio, Martin Logan, samsung or yamaha for me.

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-ele...mersive-sound/
Jongalt26 is offline  
post #57 of 2346 Old 03-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Member
 
mafiadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bad news guys i don't think it will support dts or DTS x at all. http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/HT-ST5000 , download the manual and see for yourself.
mafiadog is offline  
post #58 of 2346 Old 03-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiadog View Post
Bad news guys i don't think it will support dts or DTS x at all. http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/HT-ST5000 , download the manual and see for yourself.


It will happen with an update later in the year. Sony reps have stated this in a few blogs/articles here and there. Not definitive but clearly a major issue if they don't, especially when all their AVR's to date have supported DTS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
relaxnl likes this.
bcourt99 is offline  
post #59 of 2346 Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,898
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
This certainly got a lot of rave reviews at CES...
New24K is online now  
post #60 of 2346 Old 03-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiadog View Post
Bad news guys i don't think it will support dts or DTS x at all. http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/HT-ST5000 , download the manual and see for yourself.
I sincerely hope that's not the case. At this price point I really don't see why they wouldn't support DTS:X. At the very least I would think they would support DTS:MA

I've redesigned my whole set up around this sound bar. I'm going to be pretty bummed if there's no DTS support at all.

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Mike.HD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off