SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 438Likes

post #61 of 2346 Old 03-27-2017, 05:04 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9130 Post(s)
Liked: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.HD View Post
I sincerely hope that's not the case. At this price point I really don't see why they wouldn't support DTS:X. At the very least I would think they would support DTS:MA

I've redesigned my whole set up around this sound bar. I'm going to be pretty bummed if there's no DTS support at all.

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yes. they are crazy if they want me to contemplate spending $1600 for an Atmos speaker Bar without the capability to play DTS:X.

Or even the DTS Adavanced audio codecs. Even my $300 Sony speaker bar from 2012 handled all the Advanced audio Codecs from DTS.

I mean what are you supposed to do with the majority of 2K BD titles? That have a DTS-HD MA audio track.

EDIT: WTF?!?! On page 74 of the manual it says
Quote:
The system does not support DTS and DSD.

That is just absurd in 2017 not to support DTS at all. Or even DSD for the price they want. My 2015 Sony speaker bar does a great job with DSD audio. They better drop the price by 90% if they even want me to think about buying this with crap specs like that.

IF these specs stay like this then I guess I'll definitely continue using my SOny HT-NT3 speaker bar with my SOny UHD TV. And see what some other manufacturers have to offer in the future for Atmos/DTS:X speaker Bars.
relaxnl likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-27-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2346 Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
OK, what would be the logic of Sony not supporting DTS and DSD - and maybe not DTS:X...?
post #63 of 2346 Old 03-27-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And I am confused - as this video/preview of the soundbar says that it WILL get an update for DTS:X...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2346 Old 03-27-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hey guys I was waiting for this and decided to pull the trigger on a golden ear super array X sound bar and paired it with a receiver that supports those. For cheaper then this soundbar, just a thought?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
post #65 of 2346 Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
Hey guys I was waiting for this and decided to pull the trigger on a golden ear super array X sound bar and paired it with a receiver that supports those. For cheaper then this soundbar, just a thought?
That is a great soundbar...

But like you said, it is not self amplified - so you need a reciever (so, another box laying around)

And it doesn't have Atmos or DTS:X
post #66 of 2346 Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The manual, as it stands right now, must say it doesn't support DTS because...well...it doesn't....right now. Again, many sources have pointed to an update. It stands to reason this is the case. If not, then it will be worthless like the Samsung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaronwt and hsinnott like this.
post #67 of 2346 Old 03-28-2017, 06:23 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
The manual, as it stands right now, must say it doesn't support DTS because...well...it doesn't....right now. Again, many sources have pointed to an update. It stands to reason this is the case. If not, then it will be worthless like the Samsung.

At least the Samsung says it can handle Stereo DTS. WHich isn't much better. But certainly better than not handling DTS at all. But when almost half(47%) of all 15.6K BD titles use DTS-HD MA, not handling that format is a glaring omission.

IN contrast to the only 9% of BD titles that have DOlby True HD. And only 1% with Atmos.
relaxnl likes this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-28-2017 at 06:27 AM.
post #68 of 2346 Old 03-28-2017, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I imagine the DTS update will follow very soon, clearly a licensing thing.

I too am looking forward to this, my apartment's room where my TV is just doesn't suit surround sound, so this is my best option.
New24K likes this.
post #69 of 2346 Old 04-11-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone know when this is supposed to be available
post #70 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Anyone know when this is supposed to be available
Pre-orders start in May. On store shelves in July.
post #71 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 739
I'm waiting for this to come out I had the Samsung K950 I returned it it was too buggy and it had no support for DTS at the time it's also the basically the same price except it had 2 rear speakers. If DST is an update I'm sure the Sony unit will get it hopefully otherwise it's no big deal for me I really want it for the Atmos I have a small apt so a soundbar is a good option for me
post #72 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess there was a Sony rep. at a Best Buy that was telling people that there will be two rear speakers coming out sometime for the ST5000 for rear channels.

However, according to the professional reviewers that heard the ST5000 at CES - the sound came from all over - including the rear with just the soundbar.

So, should be very interesting.
post #73 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.HD View Post
Pre-orders start in May. On store shelves in July.
I've seen July. the rep at my best buy i met this past week indicated some retailers will have it in early June. didn't say which ones (I asked).
aaronwt likes this.
post #74 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan View Post
I've seen July. the rep at my best buy i met this past week indicated some retailers will have it in early June. didn't say which ones (I asked).

Any discussion about DTS capabilities?

post #75 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
Any discussion about DTS capabilities?

kind of buried the lead, sorry. i work in news, and should know better...

Anyway, yes, I asked him about it. He said that he was initially told "no" on DTS...but recently he's heard it WILL be updated via firmware with DTS capabilities. But he also didn't sound very sure about this.

Not sure why there is so much secrecy about this, even with Sony's own reps. My guess would have to be that Sony is hopeful to have it - but must still be negotiating over the licensing fee to include it.

And don't even get me started with DTS. Why they're playing such hardball over their licensing fee with all companies (look at Samsung and LG as proof that DTS is playing hardball since they lack DTS in their high-end soundbars) is beyond me. How do you expect DTS:X to compete with Atmos if none of the high-end soundbars include your tech?

Seems like bad business to me...Atmos is winning the war in that regard. But we consumers lose out...I regret my purchase of the Samsung Atmos Soundbar every day for this reason alone. Too many blus only use DTS for high end codecs. It stinks.
post #76 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, yes, I asked him about it. He said that he was initially told "no" on DTS...but recently he's heard it WILL be updated via firmware with DTS capabilities. But he also didn't sound very sure about this.

Not sure why there is so much secrecy about this, even with Sony's own reps. My guess would have to be that Sony is hopeful to have it - but must still be negotiating over the licensing fee to include it.

And don't even get me started with DTS. Why they're playing such hardball over their licensing fee with all companies (look at Samsung and LG as proof that DTS is playing hardball since they lack DTS in their high-end soundbars) is beyond me. How do you expect DTS:X to compete with Atmos if none of the high-end soundbars include your tech?

Seems like bad business to me...Atmos is winning the war in that regard. But we consumers lose out...I regret my purchase of the Samsung Atmos Soundbar every day for this reason alone. Too many blus only use DTS for high end codecs. It stinks.
It would be stupid, stupid, stupid, for Sony to not include DTS:X - plain and simple.
post #77 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
It would be stupid, stupid, stupid, for Sony to not include DTS:X - plain and simple.
stupid? yes. but unfortunately, as we've seen with the Samsung/LG soundbars, a definitely possibility. I'm sure if DTS was willing to charge a reasonable fee, those companies would have included it. It would be odd for those companies not to include it out of sheer stupidly/negligence/ignorance. There has to be a reason for it.

Hopefully Sony can work it out with DTS. Of course this is all just conjecture on my part...could be for another reason entirely. I wonder if its actually Dolby playing hardball - and telling companies making these high-end soundbars "you can have our Atmos tech/codec - but only if you exclude DTS from your product".

Not that would suck. Hopefully that isn't what's happening here - but you never know.
hsinnott likes this.
post #78 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 02:29 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

Are you sure it's DTS and not DOlby? Typically DTS licensing is cheaper than Dolby. I wouldn't be surprised if Dolby wanted a certain amount of time that is exclusive to them. Or they gave them a discount to not include DTS.

All I know is that when almost 50% of all BD titles ever made have a DTS advanced audio format(while around 10% have a Dolby Advanced Audio codec), it is just crazy to have a sound bar not capable of decoding that format.

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-12-2017 at 02:33 PM.
post #79 of 2346 Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Are you sure it's DTS and not DOlby? Typically DTS licensing is cheaper than Dolby. I wouldn't be surprised if Dolby wanted a certain amount of time that is exclusive to them. Or they gave them a discount to not include DTS.

All I know is that when almost 50% of all BD titles ever made have a DTS advanced audio format(while around 10% have a Dolby Advanced Audio codec), it is just crazy to have a sound bar not capable of decoding that format.
Quote:
stupid? yes. but unfortunately, as we've seen with the Samsung/LG soundbars, a definitely possibility. I'm sure if DTS was willing to charge a reasonable fee, those companies would have included it. It would be odd for those companies not to include it out of sheer stupidly/negligence/ignorance. There has to be a reason for it.

Hopefully Sony can work it out with DTS. Of course this is all just conjecture on my part...could be for another reason entirely. I wonder if its actually Dolby playing hardball - and telling companies making these high-end soundbars "you can have our Atmos tech/codec - but only if you exclude DTS from your product".

Not that would suck. Hopefully that isn't what's happening here - but you never know.
your response was the main idea of my second post that I quoted above for you. Yes, I would think that's a possibility.
post #80 of 2346 Old 04-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Is there an official release date for this?
post #81 of 2346 Old 04-18-2017, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
Is there an official release date for this?
No, but many times certain vendors get it before others. For example, best buy got latest sony 4k blu-ray player, a month before others...
post #82 of 2346 Old 04-18-2017, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
No, but many times certain vendors get it before others. For example, best buy got latest sony 4k blu-ray player, a month before others...
Thanks for the feedback. I'm really hoping Sony delivers with this soundbar and that it can also handle dts-X. If so, it could be the perfect all in one solution for my room.
post #83 of 2346 Old 04-18-2017, 06:32 AM
UHD Addict

At this point I'm hoping it at least handles the same DTS codecs that Sony Sound bars have handled for many years. Since the current manual says it doesn't even handle any DTS formats.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

post #84 of 2346 Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
At this point I'm hoping it at least handles the same DTS codecs that Sony Sound bars have handled for many years. Since the current manual says it doesn't even handle any DTS formats.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
Hopefully it will but probably have to wait until it finally gets released- fingers crossed!
post #85 of 2346 Old 04-26-2017, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Necessity of physical Surround Speakers

Someone help me out here.

Upon doing research, I'm finding some sites and some people consider a lack of surround speakers with a soundbars to be a negative and I have even seen CNET go as far as to label any sound bar without physical rear speakers or any surround speakers for that matter as "not doing surround". Is this worth paying attention to?

I was always under the impression that a 5.1 or 7.1 virtual surround bar was built to mimic a physical surround setup with the respective number of physical speakers.

Thanks.
post #86 of 2346 Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Hopefully it will but probably have to wait until it finally gets released- fingers crossed!
They said a firmware update will be coming for DTS:X
post #87 of 2346 Old 04-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Prezbindowski View Post

Upon doing research, I'm finding some sites and some people consider a lack of surround speakers with a soundbars to be a negative and I have even seen CNET go as far as to label any sound bar without physical rear speakers or any surround speakers for that matter as "not doing surround". Is this worth paying attention to?

I was always under the impression that a 5.1 or 7.1 virtual surround bar was built to mimic a physical surround setup with the respective number of physical speakers.

Thanks.
I think they realism of surround sound with this soundbar will greatly depend on your room layout as I think it will be relying of the audio being bounced off the various walls and ceiling to simulate surround sound particularly in the rears. The calibration process built into the soundbar should also help.
post #88 of 2346 Old 04-26-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I think they realism of surround sound with this soundbar will greatly depend on your room layout as I think it will be relying of the audio being bounced off the various walls and ceiling to simulate surround sound particularly in the rears. The calibration process built into the soundbar should also help.
On the left side of my living room when facing TV I have an opening where my kitchen bar is and don't know if that is past where the point of contact would be with the sound path. If not and the sound tries make contact where the kitchen bar is , I'm afraid the sound on that side of the living room will just sail over the kitchen bar on in to the kitchen.

I'll have to take a picture and post on the forum.
post #89 of 2346 Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Two things...

First, according to the professional reviewers that heard this soundbar at CES this past January - this was the best sounding Atmos soundbar at the event.

Second, according to a Sony rep. - there will be rear surrounds available for this soundbar later in the year (take it for what it's worth).
hsinnott likes this.
post #90 of 2346 Old 04-26-2017, 04:17 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

Thanks.
My current Sony sounds bars have always done a great job with surround sound. I still find it amazing that a 2.1 sound bar can make is sound like you hear things over eight feet away from where the sound bar is. It makes it sound like I hear things from behind me and far to the right and left sides. Doing a great job simulating a 7.1 system. So with the addition of the audio coming from the ceiling it should make a an even bigger difference.

And then the St5000 has five more forward firing speakers than my 2.1 speaker bars have. So I would expect that to make a big difference too.

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-26-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page