SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 452Likes

post #1081 of 2390 Old 10-17-2017, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Hopefully Sony releases another update where they fix the Dolby Atmos to where it actually shows on the display of the sound bar and the Sony X800 Blu Ray player. This is really frustrating. I can't even tell if I'm getting Atmos sound. Quite upsetting for the setup I have.
I believe if you set it non-Enhanced in the HDMI settings. Then use the display button, it will show you it's Atmos.

Annoying, but now I just trust it's working.
TheSonyExperience likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2390 Old 10-17-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSword View Post
Got Lone Survivor UHD on right now, sounding good!
Sounding good was an understatement, when the helicopters come on, this is really stunning.

So glad I've stuck with this soundbar (through 2 going faulty, 3rd being repaired. please just don't break on me again).

When this thing is working, it's stunning.

Highly recommend Lone Survivor as a demo for the sound.
post #1083 of 2390 Old 10-17-2017, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Hi everyone,
When you are first setting up the soundbar I believe it asks you to input the ceiling height of your room and distance to your seating position...can someone tell me the minimum and max distances allowed to input for both.
Just want to make sure it would work in my room. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 2390 Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
Hi everyone,
When you are first setting up the soundbar I believe it asks you to input the ceiling height of your room and distance to your seating position...can someone tell me the minimum and max distances allowed to input for both.
Just want to make sure it would work in my room. Thanks guys.
Height: 1-5m (0.1m step) /3.25-16.5 feet (1/4 feet steps)
Distance: 0-10m (0.1m step) / 0-33ft (1/4 ft steps)
post #1085 of 2390 Old 10-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Height: 1-5m (0.1m step) /3.25-16.5 feet (1/4 feet steps)
Distance: 0-10m (0.1m step) / 0-33ft (1/4 ft steps)
Great thanks for the detailed info- just wanted to make sure it would suit my room.
post #1086 of 2390 Old 10-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Spoke with one of Sony’s employees who works with their R&D team at a training event today. I asked about the chance of rear speakers for the unit and he said it’s never going to happen because it’s not capable in this unit and never will be due to some limitations. So it’s not happening at any point. He did say it’s being worked on for future models however. I work for Best Buy by the way, thats what the event was for. He was embarrassed at the answer he gave because he knew it was disappointing to give it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1087 of 2390 Old 10-18-2017, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I've learned hard way today that a product from SONY doesn't support SACD over HDMI.
Idiotic to say the least.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #1088 of 2390 Old 10-18-2017, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 153
HDMI 2 on this sound bar doesn't have HDR passthrough? I tried running my PS4 Pro through it today but it wouldn't work so I had to run it through the TV instead.

Spoiler!
post #1089 of 2390 Old 10-18-2017, 02:11 AM

All of HDMI inputs support 4K/HDR/60Hz 18Gbps.
Check your settings (enhanced on HDMI2) and/or cabling or your unit is defective.
I have X800 conected to HDMI 2 and both Youtube (4k/HDR/60) and movies (4k/HDR/24p mostly) work fine.
PS4Pro is on my HDMI 1 port and again no issues apart of occasional handshake every few hours (I blame it on cabling but cba to check it since it's not an issue).
Also please make sure that the soundbar is connected to the proper HDMI port in your A1 as only 2 of 4 ports support the highest bandwidth.
TheSonyExperience likes this.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000

Last edited by lukv; 10-18-2017 at 02:39 AM.
post #1090 of 2390 Old 10-18-2017, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Leotsakos View Post
Spoke with one of Sony’s employees who works with their R&D team at a training event today. I asked about the chance of rear speakers for the unit and he said it’s never going to happen because it’s not capable in this unit and never will be due to some limitations. So it’s not happening at any point. He did say it’s being worked on for future models however. I work for Best Buy by the way, thats what the event was for. He was embarrassed at the answer he gave because he knew it was disappointing to give it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So this is rather disheartening. No ability to connect rear surrounds to this system.
Can anyone offer insight as to the surround "experience" with this soundbar?

Kev
post #1091 of 2390 Old 10-18-2017, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK KO View Post
So this is rather disheartening. No ability to connect rear surrounds to this system.

Kev
What's the best way to describe it...?

I'm going to go with: Non-existent.

I mean, it's a soundbar. I think of it as a 3.1.2 sound system. So you have a center, left and right channel. And then the atmos speakers which give a little height to the proceedings (content dependent - and volume dependent). And there's the subwoofer. So 3.1.2. Calling it a 7.1.2 system is misleading at best (if you ask me).

You're never going to recreate a surround experience with a soundbar unless there's rear channels. For my bedroom, that's fine, where this soundbar is located underneath a 65" OLED C7. For a dedicated movie room? Well... nope.

Now, are you asking me if I regret the purchase? Well... not even slightly. It's a great soundbar, supports just about every audio format there is (full DTS/DTS HD/DTS: X, Dolby 5.1. TrueHD, Atmos), and every video format available including HDR10 and Dolby Vision passthrough.

It's overpriced at $1.5k in the USA, but it's really easy to get this a LOT cheaper without too much trouble (*cough* Beach Camera *cough*).
fatuglyguy likes this.
post #1092 of 2390 Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I guess I was hoping that it would give a certain surround feel, maybe the speakers are angled to "throw" sound in back, I don't know.

I just know this really sucks lol

Kev
post #1093 of 2390 Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Sounding good was an understatement, when the helicopters come on, this is really stunning.

So glad I've stuck with this soundbar (through 2 going faulty, 3rd being repaired. please just don't break on me again).

When this thing is working, it's stunning.

Highly recommend Lone Survivor as a demo for the sound.
This is a bar that I am contemplating getting soon. It must be a sound bar you think highly of to keep sticking with it after several hiccups. That says a lot. Always hard to pull the trigger when you know upgrades are always months away. This does meet a lot of my needs but I have yet to hear it live. My expectations aren't over the top but would like a high quality sounding unit. Will most likely give it a try. Thanks for all your comments and being up front about the problems too.
post #1094 of 2390 Old 10-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This is a bar that I am contemplating getting soon. It must be a sound bar you think highly of to keep sticking with it after several hiccups. That says a lot. Always hard to pull the trigger when you know upgrades are always months away. This does meet a lot of my needs but I have yet to hear it live. My expectations aren't over the top but would like a high quality sounding unit. Will most likely give it a try. Thanks for all your comments and being up front about the problems too.
Having recently purchased and set one up for a living room OLED (not our more dedicated theater space) it's what I would call "good enough". For the current pricing in the marketplace you get one of the better sounding soundbars available, 3 HDMI ports that support 4k, and some form of height effects for a fraction of a the price and hassle of installing a dedicated separates system. The way I look at it, when paired with our universal remote, it's like a receiver with an entry level speaker system, all in one, for right around $1k that installs in 10-15 minutes.

If I were looking for more from it I'd be disappointed, but with that mentality it suits my purposes fine. Consider your needs and wants then purchase appropriately.
post #1095 of 2390 Old 10-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotics4fun View Post
If I were looking for more from it I'd be disappointed, but with that mentality it suits my purposes fine. Consider your needs and wants then purchase appropriately.
That's exactly right. We are re-doing our Family room, so I am coming from a dedicated 5.1 system. If the sound bar can at least replicate close to what I had, I can live with that. I'm 62 now so my ears cannot discern the sounds like they used to. But, we are audiophiles right to the end (at least I would like to think so). I look forward to tweaking the setup once I get hold of one.
post #1096 of 2390 Old 10-19-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
. If the sound bar can at least replicate close to what I had, I can live with that.
It can't, none of them can. They are not replacements for good speakers or a decent surround system. They are for better sound than the TV. It is good enough for many but if you had a well set up, decent system before these sound bars just can't compete. If you have the sound bars that have surround speakers they come closer but not the all in one units.
post #1097 of 2390 Old 10-19-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
It can't, none of them can. They are not replacements for good speakers or a decent surround system. They are for better sound than the TV. It is good enough for many but if you had a well set up, decent system before these sound bars just can't compete. If you have the sound bars that have surround speakers they come closer but not the all in one units.
You speak truth.
post #1098 of 2390 Old 10-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK KO View Post

Kev
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
What's the best way to describe it...?

I'm going to go with: Non-existent.

I mean, it's a soundbar. I think of it as a 3.1.2 sound system. So you have a center, left and right channel. And then the atmos speakers which give a little height to the proceedings (content dependent - and volume dependent). And there's the subwoofer. So 3.1.2. Calling it a 7.1.2 system is misleading at best (if you ask me).

You're never going to recreate a surround experience with a soundbar unless there's rear channels. For my bedroom, that's fine, where this soundbar is located underneath a 65" OLED C7. For a dedicated movie room? Well... nope.

Now, are you asking me if I regret the purchase? Well... not even slightly. It's a great soundbar, supports just about every audio format there is (full DTS/DTS HD/DTS: X, Dolby 5.1. TrueHD, Atmos), and every video format available including HDR10 and Dolby Vision passthrough.

It's overpriced at $1.5k in the USA, but it's really easy to get this a LOT cheaper without too much trouble (*cough* Beach Camera *cough*).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
You speak truth.
The soundbar does what it does very well- perfect for anyone wanting something more streamlined with great sound. I'm coming from an expensive Atlantic Technology 7.2 set up to this soundbar. The key to getting the best sound is the room needs to suit it- as the upward firing speakers need the ceiling to bounce the sound back down to the listening position. It will work better in some rooms than others.
post #1099 of 2390 Old 10-19-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
The soundbar does what it does very well- perfect for anyone wanting something more streamlined with great sound. I'm coming from an expensive Atlantic Technology 7.2 set up to this soundbar. The key to getting the best sound is the room needs to suit it- as the upward firing speakers need the ceiling to bounce the sound back down to the listening position. It will work better in some rooms than others.
Absolutely. For what it is it's excellent.
post #1100 of 2390 Old 10-19-2017, 03:23 PM

I think accepting this a Soundbar is the way to look at it. It’s not magic.

The issue with this bar seems to be the room it’s in. I have a relatively modern flat with a modern height ceiling (e.g quite low, about 2.6m), flat ceiling, nothing in the way, plenty of flat space for sound to bounce off. I also have the Soundbar quite low, about .4m off the ground.

I get sound above, to the sides and behind at points, so it works really well in my room. From my memory, what differs to when I had a 5.1 setup is I am not consciously going, that’s from rear left, that’s from front right the soundield is more natural, but that may be due to Atmos or DTS:X which I didn’t have.

Lone Survivor was just stunning, the main finale in Magnificent Seven is incredible. But I have seen others state they don’t get this experience, so I guess just try it in your home.

The sound quality is also extremely good, very clear for hi res music.

Like you say, sticking with it through all the faults is because I love it and it’s my best option as separates in my room aren’t an option. People are amazed when they hear it in action in my living room.
hsinnott likes this.
post #1101 of 2390 Old 10-20-2017, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I was tempting to get the HT-ST5000 until I read thru the comments you guys having here. It makes me wonder should I sacrifice for the height element (Atmos or dtsX) in exchange for the discrete rear surround speakers. I guess the 2D surround will be still more important (at least for me) and easier to get it right.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #1102 of 2390 Old 10-20-2017, 08:11 AM

Anyone else finding ARC a bit temperamental?

Seems to sometimes work, sometimes not. And sometimes the Speaker setting reset to Speaker+HDMI instead of HDMI.
post #1103 of 2390 Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
I was tempting to get the HT-ST5000 until I read thru the comments you guys having here. It makes me wonder should I sacrifice for the height element (Atmos or dtsX) in exchange for the discrete rear surround speakers. I guess the 2D surround will be still more important (at least for me) and easier to get it right.
I'm in the same situation. We are trying to de-clutter but at what cost to sound fidelity. The one caveat is we could still try a soundbar and return if it's deemed unsatisfactory. The problem Is you understand what a discrete system would sound like but trying to imagine what a soundbar might sound like in any particular room is near impossible.
post #1104 of 2390 Old 10-20-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
All of HDMI inputs support 4K/HDR/60Hz 18Gbps.
Check your settings (enhanced on HDMI2) and/or cabling or your unit is defective.
I have X800 conected to HDMI 2 and both Youtube (4k/HDR/60) and movies (4k/HDR/24p mostly) work fine.
PS4Pro is on my HDMI 1 port and again no issues apart of occasional handshake every few hours (I blame it on cabling but cba to check it since it's not an issue).
Also please make sure that the soundbar is connected to the proper HDMI port in your A1 as only 2 of 4 ports support the highest bandwidth.
Thank you.

Spoiler!
post #1105 of 2390 Old 10-21-2017, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have just gotten this 3 days back
I am hearing stuttering/popping sounds from the subwoofer

What could be the issue?
post #1106 of 2390 Old 10-21-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideto09 View Post

What could be the issue?
Wireless interference maybe? Try changing the band, oh and definitely put it into secure mode unless you want your neighbours to mess with it

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #1107 of 2390 Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
Wireless interference maybe? Try changing the band, oh and definitely put it into secure mode unless you want your neighbours to mess with it
Doesn’t work despite trying out auto, 1, 2 & 3 for the wireless band. Its already in secure mode
post #1108 of 2390 Old 10-21-2017, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Guys

I just got this sony HTS5000 soundbar, anyone know how come I only can display Dolby HD or DTS-HD but not Atmos or DTS:X even when it supports it?

I am using XBOX one S to play the 4k movies, is there anything I am.missing? Setting I need to play with?
post #1109 of 2390 Old 10-22-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideto09 View Post

What could be the issue?

Had the same issue when I first got my unit. It stopped shortly after. Can't explain what it is or how it went away but I'm glad. I am using a secure frequency as well.

Spoiler!
post #1110 of 2390 Old 10-22-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyko View Post
Guys

I just got this sony HTS5000 soundbar, anyone know how come I only can display Dolby HD or DTS-HD but not Atmos or DTS:X even when it supports it?

I am using XBOX one S to play the 4k movies, is there anything I am.missing? Setting I need to play with?
It should display something like this when you disable enhanced HDMI:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...l#post54939386

When you enable enhanced HDMI it should display nothing at all for 4k/60/HDR sources.

Some soundfields disable ATMOS/DTS:X, described a few pages earlier.

It doesn't display anything on the soundbar itself for HDMI 1-3 sources but it should display Dolby/LPCM for ARC (huge oversight).

XBOX needs to be properly configured (for example you need Dolby Atmos application) and connected to the soundbar, not the TV. XBOX configuration is buggy to say the least, most of the pages 33 and 34 are dedicated to the XBOX troubleshooting, you may give it a try. The config is also described here:https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#6106d8ff7b97

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000

Last edited by lukv; 10-22-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page