SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 453Likes

post #1111 of 2392 Old 10-22-2017, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
It should display something like this when you disable enhanced HDMI:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...l#post54939386

When you enable enhanced HDMI it should display nothing at all for 4k/60/HDR sources.

Some soundfields disable ATMOS/DTS:X, described a few pages earlier.

It doesn't display anything on the soundbar itself for HDMI 1-3 sources but it should display Dolby/LPCM for ARC (huge oversight).

XBOX needs to be properly configured (for example you need Dolby Atmos application) and connected to the soundbar, not the TV. XBOX configuration is buggy to say the least, most of the pages 33 and 34 are dedicated to the XBOX troubleshooting, you may give it a try. The config is also described here:https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#6106d8ff7b97
Thank you for the reply, please me test it out again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 2392 Old 10-23-2017, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 154
This sound bar is amazing though, when the sound stage is there for certain movies, the Atmos effect sounds amazing. I just wish it happened more lol.

Spoiler!
post #1113 of 2392 Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
This sound bar is amazing though, when the sound stage is there for certain movies, the Atmos effect sounds amazing. I just wish it happened more lol.
Right now I'm trying to decide between this soundbar and the new Nakamichi 7.2/9.2 (which I have a deposit on). Yes, the Nakamichi is different, but it is an unknown quantity. If only the Sony supported rear speakers...

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 2392 Old 10-23-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 184
How many of you bought the extended warranty from best buy ? Seems like it might be a good idea on this sound bar. Going to buy one Wednesday

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1115 of 2392 Old 10-23-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSword View Post
Anyone else finding ARC a bit temperamental?

Seems to sometimes work, sometimes not. And sometimes the Speaker setting reset to Speaker+HDMI instead of HDMI.

ARC is temperamental by nature. Great feature on paper, usually less so in practice.

Surprisingly, my ST5000 is the first instance of ARC that's actually worked well for me. I have it connected to an "older" Sony 4K TV (XBR-65X850B) thru ARC via the supplied HDMI cable. Turns on and off every time without a hiccup. I can only think of one instance where everything powered up but I got no sound (fixed by a power cycle). I was prepared to switch to optical with no love lost but so far so good. Had the ST5000 for about 4 months now. The thing with ARC is it usually works it or it doesn't.

I had to switch to optical on my other TV because the ARC kept powering my AVR on all day while I wasn't home.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|Sonus faber Chameleon B|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #1116 of 2392 Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
How many of you bought the extended warranty from best buy ? Seems like it might be a good idea on this sound bar. Going to buy one Wednesday
I did. I trust Sony tech but technology is technology. None of it is guaranteed. It's nice knowing that my stuff is covered for the next 4-5 years.

Spoiler!
post #1117 of 2392 Old 10-24-2017, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
ARC is temperamental by nature. Great feature on paper, usually less so in practice.

Surprisingly, my ST5000 is the first instance of ARC that's actually worked well for me. I have it connected to an "older" Sony 4K TV (XBR-65X850B) thru ARC via the supplied HDMI cable. Turns on and off every time without a hiccup. I can only think of one instance where everything powered up but I got no sound (fixed by a power cycle). I was prepared to switch to optical with no love lost but so far so good. Had the ST5000 for about 4 months now. The thing with ARC is it usually works it or it doesn't.

I had to switch to optical on my other TV because the ARC kept powering my AVR on all day while I wasn't home.
Yeah, seems odd, I have a TV from the same year as you, the Sony 79X9005B. Usually with Sony stuff ARC is flawless.

I've tried a different cable now and seems more reliable, but still on occasion drops out. I may properly turn off the soundbar and back on to see if that helps.
post #1118 of 2392 Old 10-24-2017, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How loud does this bar go? Is it possible to play movies clearly around 90-95 decibels ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1119 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 AM

Just tried headphones over Bluetooth. Not great. Kept dropping out which stops the picture as brings up the Bluetooth interface which is sluggish. Headphones were Bose Quietcomfort 35s.

Anyone else tried Bluetooth, be interested in how Sony MDR-1000X get on
post #1120 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Just tried headphones over Bluetooth. Not great. Kept dropping out which stops the picture as brings up the Bluetooth interface which is sluggish. Headphones were Bose Quietcomfort 35s.

Anyone else tried Bluetooth, be interested in how Sony MDR-1000X get on
Wow this thing is a piece of trash.

After the Bluetooth fail, it’s now started cutting out the picture every now and again, and is slow as hell.

And great, now Standy By takes forever. Tried a factory reset, SVC menu reset, issue remains. No doubt the whole thing will fail again.

Sony need to sort these Soundbars out! Clearly something fundamentally wrong with them.

Last edited by CrimsonSword; 10-25-2017 at 09:47 AM.
post #1121 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

After the Bluetooth fail, it’s now started cutting out the picture every now and again, and is slow as hell.

And great, now Standy By takes forever. Tried a factory reset, SVC menu reset, issue remains. No doubt the whole thing will fail again.

Sony need to sort these Soundbars out! Clearly something fundamentally wrong with them.
I've used Bose QC35 and Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones with this soundbar -- both work flawlessly for me.

Question: Is there any way to prevent the soundbar from bringing up its Home screen every time I select its input on my TV? I have an LG C6 OLED. Soundbar is connected to the HDMI 2 (ARC) port. I have a Blu-ray player and an Apple TV 4K connected directly to the soundbar. Say I'm watching something on Apple TV but briefly switch to one of the TV's built in apps. To get back to my Apple TV, I select the HDMI 2 input on my TV. Ideally, the soundbar would bypass its Home screen and bring up the Apple TV right away. Instead, the Home screen immediately appears and I have to use the soundbar remote to select the appropriate soundbar HDMI input.

Not a huge issue, but it gets rather annoying.
post #1122 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotics4fun View Post
I had similar issues, had to try numerous placements of the IR mini blaster for my Harmony before I found one that works consistently every time. Taped it into place and won't be touching it again any time soon, what a headache! FYI mine had to be on the right side (when facing) of the soundbar and in front of the unit itself to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
I've used Bose QC35 and Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones with this soundbar -- both work flawlessly for me.

Question: Is there any way to prevent the soundbar from bringing up its Home screen every time I select its input on my TV? I have an LG C6 OLED. Soundbar is connected to the HDMI 2 (ARC) port. I have a Blu-ray player and an Apple TV 4K connected directly to the soundbar. Say I'm watching something on Apple TV but briefly switch to one of the TV's built in apps. To get back to my Apple TV, I select the HDMI 2 input on my TV. Ideally, the soundbar would bypass its Home screen and bring up the Apple TV right away. Instead, the Home screen immediately appears and I have to use the soundbar remote to select the appropriate soundbar HDMI input.

i have the exact same tv as you. i have an apple tv hooked up to this soundbar, a PS4 Pro, and a Tivo Bolt. The home screen of the soundbar never appears on mine when switching inputs. That does not sound right at all - I would contact sony about that. Because mine has never done that to me - aside from when i hit the "home" button obviously.
post #1123 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan View Post
i have the exact same tv as you. i have an apple tv hooked up to this soundbar, a PS4 Pro, and a Tivo Bolt. The home screen of the soundbar never appears on mine when switching inputs. That does not sound right at all - I would contact sony about that. Because mine has never done that to me - aside from when i hit the "home" button obviously.
Interesting. I'm half-tempted to do a factory reset of the soundbar to see if that solves it. Do you have HDMI-CEC ("Simplink") turned on in the TV's settings?
post #1124 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Interesting. I'm half-tempted to do a factory reset of the soundbar to see if that solves it. Do you have HDMI-CEC ("Simplink") turned on in the TV's settings?
No. I avoid HDMI-CEC like the plague. all it has ever done - with this and any other soundbar I have owned - is screw everything up. Everything runs smoothly without it for me. That's also why I own a Harmony Elite remote - so I can avoid all that crap.
post #1125 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan View Post
No. I avoid HDMI-CEC like the plague. all it has ever done - with this and any other soundbar I have owned - is screw everything up. Everything runs smoothly without it for me. That's also why I own a Harmony Elite remote - so I can avoid all that crap.
Hmm... I have it enabled. That could be the issue. I'll tinker with it tonight and report back.
post #1126 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:

So my issue must be separate, reset a few times now, still sluggish and every now and again cuts out and brings up the home screen. That must have been what was causing the BT drop out. Can’t believe this 3rd one, that’s had a main board replacement is developing a new different fault.

Anyway, for the problem you’re having I have had that on all 3 soundbars. I had to get the Soundbar to press select after changing input, programmed in on my Harmony remote. Seems unavoidable
ryanmcv likes this.
post #1127 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyko View Post
Guys

I just got this sony HTS5000 soundbar, anyone know how come I only can display Dolby HD or DTS-HD but not Atmos or DTS:X even when it supports it?

I am using XBOX one S to play the 4k movies, is there anything I am.missing? Setting I need to play with?
Try checking your sound field setting. I had the same issue and discovered that if my sound field is set to music, it won't display Dolby Atmos. Once I changed the sound field to something else, Dolby Atmos shows up.
post #1128 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:

I've got to say it. Something HAS to be killing your soundbars. How many have you had, now? I mean.. this goes waaaay beyond coincidence at this point.

Either figure out what cables are shorting the system, what power is frying the bar, what device is frying the bar etc - or get a refund and move on. NO Soundbar is worth this amount of hassle, and I'm absolutely CERTAIN (or as certain as I can be) that something is going on beyond the soundbar itself.

Like others, no issues with Bluetooth here, either (BOSE QC35).
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #1129 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
FYI, consider this a PSA:

Don't bother using Atmos for games. Why? Because a/v sync issues. It's really obvious how much a/v sync lag there is with Bitstream enabled. You can even test for yourself. Currently, EVERYONE connecting an XBOX One S to their TV via the HT-ST5000 should not be using Bitstream. I have mine set to PCM 7.1.

Test for yourself: Leave the XBOX One S set to PCM 7.1, and move the controller around the menu options so you can hear the little sound effect "BLIP" as you move between tiles, options etc. See how it's dead on perfect?

Now switch the XBOX One S to Bitstream/Atmos, and do the same thing. See how the sound now lags behind the video by.. (I'm guessing) 30-50ms? If you're not sensitive to this, then - fine. But I am, and it's really frustrating.

Be nice if we could have separate audio settings for Blu-ray MOVIES vs games. Then you could get Atmos from the 4K UHD Blu-rays, but not deal with the audio lag for games. Currently, the only way to deal with this is to switch Atmos/Bitstream on for 4K UHD Blu-rays, and then turn that OFF when playing a game. Ugh..

Media should never have any issue with the above mentioned a/v sync lag with bitstream, because non-interactive media (i.e. movies in this case) is synced up at the start of the stream. For games, this isn't the case.

Frustrating, right?
post #1130 of 2392 Old 10-25-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked mine up from Best Buy tonight......got the 9 year extended warranty for 60 bucks. Can't go wrong with that. Should have her up and running Friday night

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1131 of 2392 Old 10-26-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I've got to say it. Something HAS to be killing your soundbars. How many have you had, now? I mean.. this goes waaaay beyond coincidence at this point.

Either figure out what cables are shorting the system, what power is frying the bar, what device is frying the bar etc - or get a refund and move on. NO Soundbar is worth this amount of hassle, and I'm absolutely CERTAIN (or as certain as I can be) that something is going on beyond the soundbar itself.

Like others, no issues with Bluetooth here, either (BOSE QC35).
Completely agree, have emailed Sony, I am now outside the normal return window, so will see what they say.

All HDMI cables replaced and on third power socket.

This issue seems software related as after leaving it off a while the cut outs stopped. Will check today if it’s still sluggish.
post #1132 of 2392 Old 10-26-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Completely agree, have emailed Sony, I am now outside the normal return window, so will see what they say.

All HDMI cables replaced and on third power socket.

This issue seems software related as after leaving it off a while the cut outs stopped. Will check today if it’s still sluggish.
Sluggish behaviour gone. Perhaps I overreacted as so paranoid with this thing, but expect more of a £1500 device. Will see what Sony says.
post #1133 of 2392 Old 10-26-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What do you guys have it set for to pass through the best 4K picture from a 4K cable box ?

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1134 of 2392 Old 10-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
What do you guys have it set for to pass through the best 4K picture from a 4K cable box ?
From the manual:

Select the setting you want.
• [Standard format] (default
setting): Select when the
connected TV and devices support
standard bandwidth video
formats.
• [Enhanced format]: Select when
both the connected TV and
devices support high bandwidth
video formats such as 4K 60p
4:4:4 etc.

They are referring to the HDMI port that you have connected to your cable box.
Good Luck.
post #1135 of 2392 Old 10-27-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 273
So does this pass through Dolby Vision? I realize it's probably already been answered but it's a long thread.

I don't know why you guys are paying for an extended warranty for something with no moving parts or lamps/bulbs, etc. In 9yrs you'll probably want a new soundbar anyways.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #1136 of 2392 Old 10-27-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
So does this pass through Dolby Vision? I realize it's probably already been answered but it's a long thread.

I don't know why you guys are paying for an extended warranty for something with no moving parts or lamps/bulbs, etc. In 9yrs you'll probably want a new soundbar anyways.
Really ?? Its 60.00 bucks.

Its a piece of electronics. They fail. Some guys are on their 3rd one...........
TheSonyExperience likes this.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1137 of 2392 Old 10-27-2017, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, after the latest update.
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #1138 of 2392 Old 10-27-2017, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
How loud does this bar go? Is it possible to play movies clearly around 90-95 decibels ?

Yes
PSBMAN likes this.

Luke
post #1139 of 2392 Old 10-27-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:

Huh? Modern TVs don't have any moving parts or replaceable bulbs either, but it's still not a bad idea. Since when is this stuff infallible? If the warranty is reasonably priced, I'll buy it.

The manufacturer only believes in this stuff for a year. if something goes wrong 18-24 months in wouldn't you be pissed if you had no recourse?
PSBMAN likes this.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|Sonus faber Chameleon B|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #1140 of 2392 Old 10-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Sluggish behaviour gone. Perhaps I overreacted as so paranoid with this thing, but expect more of a £1500 device. Will see what Sony says.
Yes you're non stop whining about this soundbar is getting a little tiring tbh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page