SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 453Likes

post #1141 of 2390 Old 10-28-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
Yes you're non stop whining about this soundbar is getting a little tiring tbh.
Fair enough.

In case anyone gets sluggish behaviour or random cut outs (mine started doing that, which seemed to drop the BT connection).

Sony got back to me after the issue had gone, their recommendation for the issue is to power down and unplug for a minute to fully discharge then plug back in. Neither a full reset from settings or Service Menu did the trick.

I’d unplugged mine overnight so that seemed to solve it.

On another topic:
Anyone with Logitech Harmony added this lately? Wondering if they added the Display button or the 3D Surround field, seems missing on mine (can learn the Display command, for 3D I created a sequence that does ClearAudio then SoundField which jumps to 3D Surround).

Last edited by CrimsonSword; 10-28-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 2390 Old 10-29-2017, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
So does this pass through Dolby Vision? I realize it's probably already been answered but it's a long thread.

I don't know why you guys are paying for an extended warranty for something with no moving parts or lamps/bulbs, etc. In 9yrs you'll probably want a new soundbar anyways.
Doesn't need moving parts to fail. You should know this. I wouldn't buy any tech for $1500 and not protect it.
aaronwt and PSBMAN like this.

Spoiler!
post #1143 of 2390 Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Extended warranties are like insurance. If you use it then it was worth it, if you don't you wasted money but had piece of mind. The reason it is sold is that more people don't use it then people that do. Otherwise these extended warranty companies would go out of business just like insurance companies would if they had to pay claims on most policies. It is up to the individual if they want to save some money but take the chance they might have to spend more if they have a problem. It is not something to argue about, it is a personal decision.

BTW, with HDMI and all its versions you will probably need to upgrade one well before 9 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 2390 Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Extended warranties are like insurance. If you use it then it was worth it, if you don't you wasted money but had piece of mind. The reason it is sold is that more people don't use it then people that do. Otherwise these extended warranty companies would go out of business just like insurance companies would if they had to pay claims on most policies. It is up to the individual if they want to save some money but take the chance they might have to spend more if they have a problem. It is not something to argue about, it is a personal decision.

BTW, with HDMI and all its versions you will probably need to upgrade one well before 9 years

Absolutely. However, even if the warranty was for an extra year for 60 bucks I would've taken it. 9 years is just icing on the cake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1145 of 2390 Old 10-29-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
I almost never get them and I can't remember ever getting burnt and wishing I had. Maybe it is because I work in this industry and see very few problems in general. I do get the warranties on phones that cover physical damage or have an inexpensive replacement if broken. Those I have used several times as I am tough on phones. But let's face it, phones manufacturing cost aren't anywhere near what they charge for them. So when you get a $100-$150 replacement on a phone they are probably still making money plus they made money on the warranty. It just allows me to get a less expensive phone if I break it.
post #1146 of 2390 Old 10-30-2017, 01:44 AM

Anyone using Google Home with this?

Really impressed with the Spotify functionality (finally got round to cancelling Apple Music). Trying to explore all features now.

The other thing I’d like to check is if there’s a Sony app that allows you to control the bar? Like TV SideView for their TVs.
post #1147 of 2390 Old 10-30-2017, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey guys, been a while since I was in this thread. In fact it was when this unit first came out. There was a lot of disappointment with this soundbar due to the lack of some audio formats. Just curious what the overall consensus is with this thing now that some updates have been released and it looks like this unit supports more audio formats.

I am really interested in upgrading from my old Sony blu ray home theatre system and I love the simplicity and elegance of soundbars. I was also looking at the Samsung one (HW-K950) but that unit was lacking in some audio formats.

Just wondering for those that own it, how impressed are you with the sound and functionality? It's a pretty sizeable investment here in Canada ($1999) so obviously I am exploring all channels first before committing to anything.

TV: LG 55E6P
HT: Sony BDV-IZ1000W
UHD Player: Samsung UBD-K8500
post #1148 of 2390 Old 10-30-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSword View Post
Anyone using Google Home with this?

Really impressed with the Spotify functionality (finally got round to cancelling Apple Music). Trying to explore all features now.

The other thing I’d like to check is if there’s a Sony app that allows you to control the bar? Like TV SideView for their TVs.
I stream Tidal to the bar using Chromecast. Works fantastic and never had a drop out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr View Post
Hey guys, been a while since I was in this thread. In fact it was when this unit first came out. There was a lot of disappointment with this soundbar due to the lack of some audio formats. Just curious what the overall consensus is with this thing now that some updates have been released and it looks like this unit supports more audio formats.

I am really interested in upgrading from my old Sony blu ray home theatre system and I love the simplicity and elegance of soundbars. I was also looking at the Samsung one but that unit was lacking in some audio formats.

Just wondering for those that own it, how impressed are you with the sound and functionality? It's a pretty sizeable investment here in Canada ($1999) so obviously I am exploring all channels first before committing to anything.
I think the sound is incredible for a bar. I'm really enjoying it.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1149 of 2390 Old 10-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I am really interested in upgrading from my old Sony blu ray home theatre system and I love the simplicity and elegance of soundbars. I was also looking at the Samsung one (HW-K950) but that unit was lacking in some audio formats.

It's a great sounding system.

I've incurred issues, but seems only very few are getting this (I've only seen UK users like myself, and to have 3 with issues is probably just bad luck on my end). However, that leads me on to say: if I've had 3, and the 3rd repaired, it's because the sound is incredible, and works really well in my setup. I can't get sound like this without having separates installed, and that just won't work in my living room as there's no where for them.

The fact you get 3 inputs, all HDCP 2.2 HDR/Dolby Vision compatible, and Atmos and DTS:X (now with the update - Lone Survivor sounds immense!) all in a soundbar is pretty damn good, but that's why it's expensive.

It's worth being aware though that sound performance in terms of Atmos (height, surround etc) seems dependant on the room it's in.
Some report great 3D effects (for example for me in Magnificent Seven, bullets are all around me, impacts behind, bullets whizzing above - it's quite incredible).
Others seem not get such a pronounced effect.

I'd say go for it though, the sound quality alone is great.
TheSonyExperience likes this.

Last edited by CrimsonSword; 10-30-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #1150 of 2390 Old 10-30-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSword View Post
It's a great sounding system.

I've incurred issues, but seems only very few are getting this (I've only seen UK users like myself, and to have 3 with issues is probably just bad luck on my end). However, that leads me on to say: if I've had 3, and the 3rd repaired, it's because the sound is incredible, and works really well in my setup. I can't get sound like this without having separates installed, and that just won't work in my living room as there's no where for them.

The fact you get 3 inputs, all HDCP 2.2 HDR/Dolby Vision compatible, and Atmos and DTS:X (now with the update - Lone Survivor sounds immense!) all in a soundbar is pretty damn good, but that's why it's expensive.

It's worth being aware though that sound performance in terms of Atmos (height, surround etc) seems dependant on the room it's in.
Some report great 3D effects (for example for me in Magnificent Seven, bullets are all around me, impacts behind, bullets whizzing above - it's quite incredible).
Others seem not get such a pronounced effect.

I'd say go for it though, the sound quality alone is great.
Good to know

my current home theatre system only has 2 HDMI imputs, and obviously being an older unit does not support 4K passthrough or any of the newer audio formats. Hence the reason for the upgrade. However I don't want to do a traditional setup as I hate to have wires everywhere, and going through the walls isn't exactly an option for me. My setup is in a finished loft, so I would be interested to see how the sound deflects off the ceilings as the one above the TV is slanted forwards. Could result in some awesome atmospheric audio from the atmos speakers.

Question, is there a possibility to add any more wireless speakers to this setup at all in case you wanted to have any rears?

post #1151 of 2390 Old 10-30-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to know

my current home theatre system only has 2 HDMI imputs, and obviously being an older unit does not support 4K passthrough or any of the newer audio formats. Hence the reason for the upgrade. However I don't want to do a traditional setup as I hate to have wires everywhere, and going through the walls isn't exactly an option for me. My setup is in a finished loft, so I would be interested to see how the sound deflects off the ceilings as the one above the TV is slanted forwards. Could result in some awesome atmospheric audio from the atmos speakers.

Question, is there a possibility to add any more wireless speakers to this setup at all in case you wanted to have any rears?
No, unfortunately it can't be done.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1152 of 2390 Old 10-30-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
No, unfortunately it can't be done.
The only drawback I guess.

post #1153 of 2390 Old 10-30-2017, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I’m have the same problem as CrimsonSword. My unit takes several minutes to power on and off. On screens display does not work. It gets hot on the top in the center. Bought it from Best Buy four months ago. Sony wants me to mail it in. Told them I have no wait to package it up. Going to speak with customer relations department tomorrow. I am really concerned now because I did not buy the extended warranty.
post #1154 of 2390 Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJ2173 View Post
I’m have the same problem as CrimsonSword. My unit takes several minutes to power on and off. On screens display does not work. It gets hot on the top in the center. Bought it from Best Buy four months ago. Sony wants me to mail it in. Told them I have no wait to package it up. Going to speak with customer relations department tomorrow. I am really concerned now because I did not buy the extended warranty.
Hi Sean, have you tried full reset from SVC menu?

Didn't work for me when mine had this issue, but worth a try.

To access the service menu, press the following buttons in order, quite quickly:

STOP
Display
Pause
Direction Up

There's a Factory Reset option somewhere. If the blue menu screen doesn't come up for a while, press DISPLAY to force it up.

In the end I had 2 like this replaced, and the 3rd one - had to get main board replaced, has been working fine (so far). Not as hot as the old one, but could be unrelated.

Last edited by CrimsonSword; 10-31-2017 at 09:53 AM.
post #1155 of 2390 Old 10-31-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Mine gets hot in the center too. They all do (neighbor got one as well). Not had one issue with the unit. Occasionally it will take a bit to fully go into standby but that’s it (scrolls “Standby” on the display longer than usual).
post #1156 of 2390 Old 10-31-2017, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
FWIW, I also had the exact same issues recently (slow boot/shutdown, home menu never accessible, etc) after two months. Factory reset or service menu resets (multiple times) did not help. Contacted Sony, said (after pleading multiple times) my only option was to send in for service (if it was a TV, they had 27 locations I could drop it off in California, but it's not a TV). Box was long gone, so packed up the bar (bought box and bubble wrap) and sent to United Radio in NY (Sony emailed a Fedex shipping label for them).

United Radio was very communicative during the repair process and that they had diagnosed and ordered a replacement main board. However, they said the replacement board Sony sent them also did not work. So to mail in the subwoofer and remote to them (another box, more bubble wrap, more hassle - they also sent me a Fedex packing label). They would then send it all to Sony and Sony would directly deal with me (gee, thanks Sony). That was a few days ago, supposedly Sony will contact me when they receive it. Hopefully they just send me a replacement, will see.

I told Sony multiple times (including a supervisor) that for one of their "flagship products" this was a pretty horrific customer experience. They agreed, but "that's the way it is". Remains to be seen how it goes from here.

All that said, it sounded great when it was running, though I could never apply the DTS:X update since I could never get to the Home screen (and the firmware update from the Service menu via USB never worked). I really like the unit, specs, and most importantly the sound, but this support and shipping hassle has soured the experience.
post #1157 of 2390 Old 10-31-2017, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Sounds great to me.

Spoiler!
post #1158 of 2390 Old 10-31-2017, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Spoke with Sony’s customer relations today. Explained that I had just purchased this a few months ago and now it’s having the same issues as others have reported online. Told them that I do not have the means to package up such an expensive unit and that I was concerned about damage during shipping. They said that they would reimburse me for packaging cost up to $50 and that if it was defective, they would send me a replacement.
post #1159 of 2390 Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Spoke with Sony’s customer relations today. Explained that I had just purchased this a few months ago and now it’s having the same issues as others have reported online. Told them that I do not have the means to package up such an expensive unit and that I was concerned about damage during shipping. They said that they would reimburse me for packaging cost up to $50 and that if it was defective, they would send me a replacement.
I'm also now having this problem you and CrimsonSword has experienced. I'm in the US. This is pretty frustrating considering the expense of this kit.
post #1160 of 2390 Old 11-01-2017, 06:11 PM

Liked: 2
Just received email from Sony.

Summary: "We have ordered a brand new HTST5000 as a replacement for your Sound Bar. You should receive an email in the next 5-7 days with the tracking information".

This time I'm keeping the box for a while

Spoiler!
aaronwt and SeanJ2173 like this.
post #1161 of 2390 Old 11-02-2017, 01:37 AM

So looks like the issue isn’t isolated to the UK models.

Sorry to hear you guys have got this issue too. Main board replacement seems to be the only fix by repairers so far.
post #1162 of 2390 Old 11-03-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, How do you rename the HDMI inputs on this thing. Whats in the manual and listed in the settings menu are two different things. I've been all through it and can't find how to do it........what am I missing ?

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1163 of 2390 Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
Ok, How do you rename the HDMI inputs on this thing. Whats in the manual and listed in the settings menu are two different things. I've been all through it and can't find how to do it........what am I missing ?
This was from an earlier post #969 by ryanmcv:
"You can already do this to some extent. From the Home screen, highlight the input you want to label and then click the Options button on your remote. The choices are limited but it's better than nothing."
post #1164 of 2390 Old 11-03-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This was from an earlier post #969 by ryanmcv:
"You can already do this to some extent. From the Home screen, highlight the input you want to label and then click the Options button on your remote. The choices are limited but it's better than nothing."
Thanks

I'll give it a go this evening.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #1165 of 2390 Old 11-03-2017, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No HDR

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and did they fix it. I originally thought it was the windows 10 creators update on my computer graying/dull picture and not registering HDR on my LG OLED as I had read this was happening with Nvidia cards (I have a 1080) but noticed PS4 Pro did not register HDR either. I turned off Dolby Vision which did passthrough to my TV on my Apple tv (All 3 connected to my HT-ST5000) and set it on HDR and it also had graying. So i plugged all three directly to my OLED and Bam all 3 perfect HDR. So by deduction it was clearly not my TV, Cables or Devices causing the problem it had to be my soundbar. I called Sony Canada who were very helpful the 1st level guy put me on hold to go try it on the same soundbar they had and confirmed that they also were not getting HDR and that I would be moved to second level and from there they set up a time for me to bring the sound bar in to get fixed. I have to drive an hour and a half away but its better then a courier service. I prefer not to make the trip. I was thinking of re-doing the update via USB but I do not want to mess things up as I would like to see what the problem really is. Any suggestions. Will re-updating it via USB cause further corruption. Thanks so much in advance.
post #1166 of 2390 Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hdr

Hi All

Just to follow up i played around some more with my bar. I left it off overnight plugged back in all the HDMI cords and all of a sudden everything worked perfect again. I noticed that arc was turned off when is powered down and on again grey screen happened again. I turned off the arc and powered on and off again and i was back in business with HDR. I tried to repeat everything again but everything arc worked fine. This time only used original remotes not the Harmony app. So who knows what the problem is but all is stable and i am back loving my sound bar again.
post #1167 of 2390 Old 11-06-2017, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
For anyone with the HT-ST5000 AND Oppo UDP-203, could you share your settings on both? I'd be interested to see what is working for you.
post #1168 of 2390 Old 11-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Mine gets hot in the center too. They all do (neighbor got one as well). Not had one issue with the unit. Occasionally it will take a bit to fully go into standby but that’s it (scrolls “Standby” on the display longer than usual).
I'd be concerned about that as the heat, over time, may do some damage. Maybe not next week, or next month but worst case after the warranty has expired in a year or two. Onkyo had a problem with some of their receivers years ago which ran very hot. Everyone commented on it but Onkyo insisted it was not an issue...then a year or two later when everyone's units started breaking down due to the prolonged exposure to heat, it was only then the seriousness of the issue was realized.
post #1169 of 2390 Old 11-07-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
I'd be concerned about that as the heat, over time, may do some damage. Maybe not next week, or next month but worst case after the warranty has expired in a year or two. Onkyo had a problem with some of their receivers years ago which ran very hot. Everyone commented on it but Onkyo insisted it was not an issue...then a year or two later when everyone's units started breaking down due to the prolonged exposure to heat, it was only then the seriousness of the issue was realized.
Personally not concerned.
hsinnott likes this.
post #1170 of 2390 Old 11-08-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Onkyo had faulty HDMI boards. The issue wasn't heat related.

The Sony Bar packs quite a bit of power, so heat is to be expected. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page