SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 454Likes

post #151 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 05:20 AM
wht

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
With the UHD player you need to connect to the sound bar first to get the lossless formats, ARC and optical are not capable of carrying the lossless formats.
So i still connect the soundbar and the TV through ARC, but the UHD (and maybe another device that supports lossless formats) i need to connect directly to the soundbar?
relaxnl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Unboxing...

aaronwt and tearfalls like this.
post #153 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by wht View Post
So i still connect the soundbar and the TV through ARC, but the UHD (and maybe another device that supports lossless formats) i need to connect directly to the soundbar?
Yes. ARC is not capable of the lossless formats or Atmos or DTS:X. ARC is capable of Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus but that is a compressed format and not all UHD/Blu-rays can convert to DD+.
relaxnl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
post #155 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallhall View Post
Nice find!

Seriously can't wait for this, wish it would arrive sooner!
New24K likes this.
post #156 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallhall View Post

No mention of DTS update. Shocker. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #157 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 02:46 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9447 Post(s)
Liked: 6133
Because it doesn't even play any form of DTS.

I'm hoping there will be some open boxes of these from best buy returns. When people get it home and find out they can't use it with half of their BD titles. At least that would allow me to get it for a lower price. But then it would need a DTS update within 45 days of my purchase. Otherwise I would need to return it before the 45 day return period expires.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-16-2017 at 02:50 PM.
post #158 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I'm hoping there will be some open boxes of these from best buy returns. When people get it home and find out they can't use it with half of their BD titles. At least that would allow me to get it for a lower price. But then it would need a DTS update within 45 days of my purchase. Otherwise I would need to return it before the 45 day return period expires.

Yep. Just figured they would comment on it at some point during the article. I'm willing to bet that topic was discussed amongst the testers, or at least one would hope they did. I'm about ready to abandon the sound bar idea and get creative with an AVR and surround setup.

post #159 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
Quote:

But unlike the Samsung it will take multichannel PCM... so I think it's not entirely true to say it makes half of your BDs unusable.

Not ideal... but with this bar I can use my PS4 for BR via PCM and my UHD BR player for almost everything else... if I come across the few DTS:X titles I have I can make the switch to PCM.

Just my .02.

aaronwt likes this.
post #160 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
But unlike the Samsung it will take multichannel PCM... so I think it's not entirely true to say it makes half of your BDs unusable.

Not ideal... but with this bar I can use my PS4 for BR via PCM and my UHD BR player for almost everything else... if I come across the few DTS:X titles I have I can make the switch to PCM.

Just my .02.

Everything I have read and heard to date, which may be wrong, indicates that Atmos and DTS:X (object based audio) needs to be decoded and played via bitstream by the AVR/Soundbar. It will still play PCM, but you won't get the benefits of DTS:X. Again, I can't confirm that. I've Just seen that info here and there.

post #161 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
Everything I have read and heard to date, which may be wrong, indicates that Atmos and DTS:X (object based audio) needs to be decoded and played via bitstream by the AVR/Soundbar. It will still play PCM, but you won't get the benefits of DTS:X. Again, I can't confirm that. I've Just seen that info here and there.

You're not wrong.

Buy except for the handful of DTS:X titles, the bar can be used to its full potential upon release... you can bitstream Atmos and TrueHD titles, and decode DTS titles to PCM.... and even DTS:X titles will sound great passed as 7.1 PCM.

Without DTS:X decoding it is a moot point.... if they ever add it down the line, you will be able to bitstream all audio without thinking about the audio on the disc. I was merely pointing out that the bar is still much more useful than the other current choices.

hsinnott likes this.
post #162 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You're not wrong.

Buy except for the handful of DTS:X titles, the bar can be used to its full potential upon release... you can bitstream Atmos and TrueHD titles, and decode DTS titles to PCM.... and even DTS:X titles will sound great passed as 7.1 PCM.

Without DTS:X decoding it is a moot point.... if they ever add it down the line, you will be able to bitstream all audio without thinking about the audio on the disc. I was merely pointing out that the bar is still much more useful than the other current choices.

Let's hope they add support sooner than later. Since it looks like you work in the industry or close to it, much closer than me at least, what is your take on the reasoning for this soundbar, at this price point, to not have any DTS decoding capabilities from the word go? With AVR's across the board having the full range of Dolby and DTS, many for much less money, I can't reconcile the logic.

post #163 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well the first review I could find for this soundbar basically says what we all hoped

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/ht-st5000/review
post #164 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicronic View Post
Well the first review I could find for this soundbar basically says what we all hoped

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/ht-st5000/review

You mean the same review that was posted just a few hours ago in this very same thread? Sorry, couldn't resist. It does sound promising though.

post #165 of 2392 Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
You mean the same review that was posted just a few hours ago in this very same thread? Sorry, couldn't resist. It does sound promising though.

Ooops.

It's glowing review although they skirted over the lack of DTS support.
bcourt99 likes this.
post #166 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let's hope they add support sooner than later. Since it looks like you work in the industry or close to it, much closer than me at least, what is your take on the reasoning for this soundbar, at this price point, to not have any DTS decoding capabilities from the word go? With AVR's across the board having the full range of Dolby and DTS, many for much less money, I can't reconcile the logic.

My MSRP $1500 Samsung Atmos bar only supports 2.0 DTS.

And only 2.0 HDMI.

Logical? Not at all. I suspect it has to do with the design of the bars vs AVRs
(many AVRs have dual DSP chip architecture , which is why the cross post processing limitation took a while to disappear...). In the case of my Samsung I think they simply took the old bars and added a secondary solution for Dolby codecs... there are rumors that say they are adding DTS 5.1 soon..

But it is what it is.

As of right now we know there is no
DTS support.

I would suggest anyone who can't deal with the workaround (PCM switching when they only have a single disc player) to not buy it until firmware that adds the support is released in the wild. .

post #167 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 AM

Fortunately (after confirming the logic in its respective thread), the Panasonic DMP-UB900 allows separate setting for DTS and Dolby tracks, so PCM for DTS and Bitstream for Atmos will do me fine.

Does annoyingly mean for 4 UHD titles I have out of 55 or so (Patriots Day, Lone Survivor, ID4 and Jason Bourne) - I lose out on the DTS:X.

Just wish this came out this week as am away for a while, and eager to get this set up!

The review on WHAT HI-FI seems oddly worded in places, perhaps the review is a little rushed. Annoyed not much shown of the GUI either.

Last edited by CrimsonSword; 05-17-2017 at 05:33 AM.
post #168 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
You're not wrong.

That is a good point about the PCM. Although I would need to constantly change my audio settings, with my devices, between bitstream and PCM to accomplish playback during the course of a normal week of viewing content.

post #169 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 07:56 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
My MSRP $1500 Samsung Atmos bar only supports 2.0 DTS.

And only 2.0 HDMI.

Logical? Not at all. I suspect it has to do with the design of the bars vs AVRs
(many AVRs have dual DSP chip architecture , which is why the cross post processing limitation took a while to disappear...). In the case of my Samsung I think they simply took the old bars and added a secondary solution for Dolby codecs... there are rumors that say they are adding DTS 5.1 soon..

But it is what it is.

As of right now we know there is no
DTS support.

I would suggest anyone who can't deal with the workaround (PCM switching when they only have a single disc player) to not buy it until firmware that adds the support is released in the wild. .

I bet it has more to do with money. Money that Dolby paid these manufacturers to not include DTS.

post #170 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bet it has more to do with money. Money that Dolby paid these manufacturers to not include DTS.

I'll take that bet

post #171 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Yeah. That's been thrown around a lot, even by me, because something needs to explain it. However, it's still total conjecture. Doesn't explain why Sony, and other manufacturers AVR's get the full gamut (Dolby/DTS), while the Sound Bars from Sony & Samsung et. al are half-baked to an extent. There is clearly more to the story, possibly like what Film Mixer mentioned regarding processing, etc. I'd like to hear the real deal from someone in the know. I'd also like to win the lotto as well, though. Absolute wishful thinking on my part. So be it. If it doesn't get an update, I'll go another route. No big deal. Don't feel like switching inputs all the time. Total first world problem, I know, but if I'm laying down the cash, might as well get what I'm paying for.

post #172 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 11:47 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Yeah. That's been thrown around a lot, even by me, because something needs to explain it. However, it's still total conjecture. Doesn't explain why Sony, and other manufacturers AVR's get the full gamut (Dolby/DTS), while the Sound Bars from Sony & Samsung et. al are half-baked to an extent. There is clearly more to the story, possibly like what Film Mixer mentioned regarding processing, etc. I'd like to hear the real deal from someone in the know. I'd also like to win the lotto as well, though. Absolute wishful thinking on my part. So be it. If it doesn't get an update, I'll go another route. No big deal. Don't feel like switching inputs all the time. Total first world problem, I know, but if I'm laying down the cash, might as well get what I'm paying for.

I don't see how processing could be an issue. Except maybe for DTS:X. Not when my Sony Speaker bars have been decoding the DD and DTS Advanced Audio Codecs for over five years.

EDIT: When a 2011 Sony Speaker Bar, that cost under a third of what the ST5000 costs, can decode Advanced audio codecs from DTS and DD. Something is wrong when a 2017 speaker bar, that is so expensive, doesn't decode DTS formats. That is not a processing issue.

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-17-2017 at 12:35 PM.
post #173 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I don't see how processing could be an issue. Except maybe for DTS:X. Not when my Sony Speaker bars have been decoding the DD and DTS Advanced Audio Codecs for over five years.

EDIT: When a 2011 Sony Speaker Bar, that cost under a third of what the ST5000 costs, can decode Advanced audio codecs from DTS and DD. Something is wrong when a 2017 speaker bar, that is so expensive, doesn't decode DTS formats. That is not a processing issue.

I hear ya. Nothing makes sense, at least on the surface. The comment on the "processing" was in reference to a comment made by "Film Maker" above. The whole money thing is just a guess on everybody's part. I can't speak to the tech side of things as that's not in my wheelhouse. Maybe someone will eventually drop a comment in this thread that will explain things, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

post #174 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Aaron.... there just isn't any basis to accuse Dolby of doing what you suggest.

I have a bit of background on the launch of the codec and how and why some of the early issues existed in the Denon AVRs for exapmle... like how you couldn't add Dolby Surround to DTS tracks and vice versa. I spoke to people at DTS and Dolby about it... and it was purely a technical issue. Turns out it was a design complication with the internal architecture of how to feed the outputs from the new DSP chips to the other...

Samsung slapped a Dolby processor on room of the guts of other existing products... that's why it is so limited at this point.

I think it's not fair to accuse Dolby of such tactics. Especially after the same nonsense came about with the early AVRs and turned out to not be true.

post #175 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Aaron.... there just isn't any basis to accuse Dolby of doing what you suggest.

I have a bit of background on the launch of the codec and how and why some of the early issues existed in the Denon AVRs for exapmle... like how you couldn't add Dolby Surround to DTS tracks and vice versa. I spoke to people at DTS and Dolby about it... and it was purely a technical issue. Turns out it was a design complication with the internal architecture of how to feed the outputs from the new DSP chips to the other...

Samsung slapped a Dolby processor on room of the guts of other existing products... that's why it is so limited at this point.

I think it's not fair to accuse Dolby of such tactics. Especially after the same nonsense came about with the early AVRs and turned out to not be true.

Of course I'm not saying that is the actual reason. I have no inside info. It could be anything. But to have a device in 2017 that can't decode mainstream codecs that a device in 2011 could, at a third of the cost, seems very odd.

post #176 of 2392 Old 05-17-2017, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Of course I'm not saying that is the actual reason. I have no inside info. It could be anything. But to have a device in 2017 that can't decode mainstream codecs that a device in 2011 could, at a third of the cost, seems very odd.

And those 2011 bars can't do immersive. So it's not an apples to apple comparison in terms of capabilities or the underlying DSP architecture and design.

post #177 of 2392 Old 05-18-2017, 09:13 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
And those 2011 bars can't do immersive. So it's not an apples to apple comparison in terms of capabilities or the underlying DSP architecture and design.

Right which should make it easier. Any device that can do object oriented audio has more processing power. But heck, when a 2017 device can't even decode a 20+ year old codec like legacy DTS, that my 1996 receiver could decode, there is something wrong.

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-18-2017 at 09:16 AM.
post #178 of 2392 Old 05-18-2017, 11:26 AM

Thinking ahead here, the device isn't on the Logitech Harmony's database yet.

But do you think using older remote codes may enable direct input switching?
Had similar instances with commands from older TVs working on newer ones (Sony anyway).
post #179 of 2392 Old 05-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

My 5-year-old Yamaha soundbar can do immersive.

It supports everything up to DTS-HD and TrueHD. It also supports 5.1 and 7.1 through its reflective surround system. It just doesn't support ATMOS and 4k pass through.
post #180 of 2392 Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right which should make it easier. Any device that can do object oriented audio has more processing power. But heck, when a 2017 device can't even decode a 20+ year old codec like legacy DTS, that my 1996 receiver could decode, there is something wrong.

Atmos required new DSP solutions.

A vast majority of "legacy" products used one DSP chip that supports Dolby and DTS decoding, among other things.... that isn't the case any more.

I've spoken to DTS and Dolby about this... it's not as simple as you make it out to be... it doesn't matter.

Again, in the end, your speculation about Dolby having anything with the lack of DTS on this bar at launch, or the Samsung, is wrong....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page