SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 448Likes

post #2041 of 2363 Old 11-26-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 134
We have liked our HT-ST5000 but it now seems the sub is not heard. Using Movies, 3D and ClearAudio Sound Fields. Keep Sub set on 9/10. Is that too low?

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2363 Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
We have liked our HT-ST5000 but it now seems the sub is not heard. Using Movies, 3D and ClearAudio Sound Fields. Keep Sub set on 9/10. Is that too low?
I can’t imagine at 9 or 10. Factory 8 is plenty imo and can even go lower.
post #2043 of 2363 Old 11-26-2018, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

I’ve had mine in 5/6 for a while & it was great I believe right now I have it on 7 & it is plenty for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 2363 Old 11-26-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now have it at 11. Maybe it is the shape and layout of our living room.
leojj25 likes this.

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
post #2045 of 2363 Old 11-27-2018, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Samonte View Post
Coming from a dedicated HT, have pretty much decided on this soundbar to tide me over until the new home is up and ready. Needing a player, would you guys recommend an Xbox one X as the UHD player over a stand alone one? Already have a plain vanilla one and upgrading would be pretty much the same price wise as opposed to getting a stand alone UHD player.
No. The Xbox One X can't properly decode color like most standalone players.

Spoiler!
post #2046 of 2363 Old 11-28-2018, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Microsoft fixed it last year.
mtbdudex likes this.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #2047 of 2363 Old 11-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Where do you guys find the sub to be most effective in general? (I know that question has to many variables) I usually like it the sub at the front with the bar but last night i moved my living room around and it no longer can be there so i put exactly across hoping it sounds just as good.

PS4 PRO
post #2048 of 2363 Old 11-28-2018, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
Microsoft fixed it last year.
So good for a player now then?
post #2049 of 2363 Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sub issues

Hi,

So I've had this soundbar since about March. I have it hooked up via ARC to my LG OLED and and Xbox One connected to the soundbar. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it. Over the last few months I have heard a distorted/gurgling sound coming from the sub. It only happens on certain content such as the Youtube TV app, Netflix app on my TV and certain apps on the Xbox. Most movies played from the Xbox via disc play just fine and any Atmos content sounds amazing.

I will say that over the weekend I went out and bought a complete Bose 700 system (soundbar, sub and rears) TV shows you can't really tell but movies you do notice the power of the Sony over the Bose but the rear speakers well lets just say they make a difference but my main point is all content on the Bose is clear and not distorted.

I guess my question is do I have a defective Sony unit or is it something to due with the content from the TV to the Sony?

Any help would be appreciated..

Last edited by cozkay; 11-29-2018 at 07:29 AM.
post #2050 of 2363 Old 11-29-2018, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozkay View Post
Hi,

So I've had this soundbar since about March. I have it hooked up via ARC to my LG Oled and and Xbox one connected to the sound bar. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it. Over the last few months I have heard a distorted/gurgling sound coming from the sub. It only happens on certain content the youtube Tv app, netflix app on my TV and certain apps on the xbox. Most movies played from the xbox via disc play just fine and any atmos content sounds amazing.

I will say that over the weekend I went out and bought a complete Bose 700 system (soundbar, sub and rears) TV shows yo can't really tell but movies you do notice the power of the Sony over the Bose but the rear speakers well lets just say they make a difference but my main pint is all content on the Bose is clear and not distorted.

I guess my question is do i have a defective unit or is it something to due with the content?

That's interesting, so you feel the Sony has more power? I actually bought the Sony on sale a few weeks ago and returned it the same day. I will say it sounded pretty good but I have a Sonos 5.1 system and it was hard to find any comparisons so I wanted to see if it was better. For me it wasn't even close while the Sony sounded good the Sonos setup absolutely blew it out of the water. I turned the Sony to Max volume on some movies and tinkered with different settings it probably would have been acceptable had I not heard the Sonos but I've never come close to turning the Sonos to Max I think it would break my windows. I know I'm missing Atmos but I felt no spaciousness from the Sony and missed my rear surrounds on the Sonos which I have roughly a foot about hearing level and gives amazing sound envelopment. I've heard great things about that new Bose system too which is basically competing in Sonos space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
post #2051 of 2363 Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,
I just purchased the 5000 along with an X940E last week for my new house! The layout of the family room is definitely not optimal - TV has to be mounted between built-ins over a fireplace and angled down, sound bar consequently has to sit on the mantle below the TV, one side wall has several windows, the other side wall has a door and a wet bar, the rear wall is only half height as it is open to a higher split level. A sound bar was a necessary compromise because it would be prohibitively difficult to wire for 7.1 speakers in the ceiling or walls, but this is still a step up from our last house where there simply was no way to have anything other than TV speakers in the room! I'm definitely happy with the overall sound quality, but there doesn't seem to be much of an Atmos effect - I definitely don't expect to have much if any surround sensation given the room and it being a sound bar, of course. I'm not sure if there's any sort of math I can try to do to tweak the seating distance/ceiling height settings to bounce the Atmos sound to the actual seating position better, at the moment I have it set for the real numbers. This means the ceiling height is set from the mantle to the ceiling, as the OSD suggests (ceiling is about 10.5' high, mantle is 5.5', so I set the height to 5'). The mantle height is also a few inches above ear level, but again, no helping that in this room layout. Any suggestions for a formula I could use to get the sound to the right spot? Or are there any Atmos demos that focus more on the upfiring speakers so I have a few minutes to walk around the room and figure out where the sound is arriving currently?

My other devices are an Xbox One S and an Xfinity Xi5 wireless cable box (also too prohibitive to wire ethernet or coax in this room, unfortunately). I originally had both devices connected to the TV and then feeding back audio via ARC to make life easier for wife and kids, but I noticed I had to connect the Xbox directly to the sound bar to be able to set the Xbox sound output to Atmos. It now properly displays Atmos on the sound bar LED, but I haven't tested with anything other than the demo videos on the Dolby app (pretty underwhelming, hopefully adjusting the distances in the soundbar settings will help). I wasn't having any issues with the cable box (not 4k/Atmos capable, trying to figure out if there's a 4k wireless box available because the wired 4k box does support Atmos), but my wife had some issues with pausing on demand shows and then audio being gone when they were resumed. So I've also connected that directly to the sound bar now, haven't tested to see if the on demand issue is gone but I did notice a few brief audio dropouts last night when watching a soccer game. Hoping that was just a feed issue or some quick censorship, though. Anyway, this has been a pretty helpful thread to read through over the last couple of days and see what I missed, looking forward to making a few more adjustments to maximize my experience!
post #2052 of 2363 Old 12-01-2018, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After having this soundbar for a few weeks now. Why does it sound muffled when gaming with Xbox One X using Atmos? Yes I have the settings set properly and yes I only turn it on when playing games supporting Atmos. GOW 4 sounds terrible with Atmos enabled. Sounds muffled.
post #2053 of 2363 Old 12-02-2018, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey everyone. Just bought the st5000. Had some questions. First anyone have any input on what height levels and distance are best? Like adding a bit more helps with atmos.

Second any DB levels work best? Im not to familiar with how DB levels work. Should I just leave at 0?
post #2054 of 2363 Old 12-03-2018, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
After having this soundbar for a few weeks now. Why does it sound muffled when gaming with Xbox One X using Atmos? Yes I have the settings set properly and yes I only turn it on when playing games supporting Atmos. GOW 4 sounds terrible with Atmos enabled. Sounds muffled.

Do you have that drc or something like turned off? It restricts a lot of the sound when it is on and it naturally is on from the factory

PS4 PRO
post #2055 of 2363 Old 12-03-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
Quote:

Do you have that drc or something like turned off? It restricts a lot of the sound when it is on and it naturally is on from the factory

I do have it on default auto. I thought that would be best. I changed it before to off and noticed no difference in sound.
post #2056 of 2363 Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is drc?

post #2057 of 2363 Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is drc?
Dynamic range control.
post #2058 of 2363 Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I do have it on default auto. I thought that would be best. I changed it before to off and noticed no difference in sound.

Keep it off found it’s best imo

Bigmizzoufan likes this.

PS4 PRO
post #2059 of 2363 Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi everyone, possibly a stupid question here and if its been asked and answered i apologize. I purchased a Sony Z9D and more recently the ST5000. Currently, i have the cable box, blu ray player, and playstation 4 plugged into the sound bar and the sound bar connected to the tv through ARC. Is this the best way to connect everything or should i connect everything directly to the TV and then the TV to the sound bar? Any help would be appreciated.
post #2060 of 2363 Old 12-05-2018, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettierej View Post
Hi everyone, possibly a stupid question here and if its been asked and answered i apologize. I purchased a Sony Z9D and more recently the ST5000. Currently, i have the cable box, blu ray player, and playstation 4 plugged into the sound bar and the sound bar connected to the tv through ARC. Is this the best way to connect everything or should i connect everything directly to the TV and then the TV to the sound bar? Any help would be appreciated.
I have the same setup! Don't worry, it's ok. Unfortunately the TV doesn't support eARC like its successor the Z9F, so if you want to get the full sound quality (Dolby True HD, Atmos) then it's best to connect the devices to the soundbar directly. I don't know if they can add eARC to the Z9D by a firmware update, but until then it's best to keep it that way.
leojj25 and Lettierej like this.

Sony XBR-75Z9D | Sony HT-ST5000 | Nvidia Shield TV 2017 | PS4 Pro | PS3 Slim | Nintendo Wii

Last edited by Bisuko; 12-05-2018 at 12:47 AM.
post #2061 of 2363 Old 12-05-2018, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dynamic range control.
Thanks! DRC has been off since set up.
leojj25 likes this.

post #2062 of 2363 Old 12-05-2018, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisuko View Post
I'm having the same problem, but in my case it's the leftmost speaker. User Megalodon also contacted me because of this issue. So at least it seems real. I still haven't gotten in contact with Sony though, because I can't properly reproduce the problem. Meanwhile I suspect it could happen if you simply turn up the volume a tad too much and the vibration kicks something out of its place. About 3 weeks passed since it happened to me last time (using the soundbar daily), but that doesn't really mean much...

Just now seeing your reply. Thanks for the response. I've also noticed it on different speakers (center channel, far right, and the right top-firing speaker). It usually seems to happen when I've had the unit on for a while. For example, I might watch an entire movie without any issues but when I pop in a second movie I start to hear the distortion. Definitely an annoying issue but at least it's not constant.
post #2063 of 2363 Old 12-08-2018, 12:25 AM

I too had the same issue with the subwoofer cutting out frequently. The bass would suddenly drop out, and the green light on the front of the sub would flash slowly as if trying to reconnect. After 10 seconds or so the sub would reconnect and the bass would start playing. It started happening infrequently so was a slight annoyance, but more recently it started happening every minute or so, which was a big distraction. I also occasionally got a muddy thudding / flapping / fluttering sound from the sub, which sounded like it was blown. Turning it off and on again resolved the problem.

I tried all sorts of things to fix the problem. Moved the sub around the room. Plugged it into different outlets. Tried all combinations of the radio channels and frequencies. Enabled secure link. Replaced my WiFi router. Nothing I tried had any effect, which was frustrating.

I took out a 5 year warranty after reading some early reviews, and decided that it was better to get it covered for longer in case any any problems down the road. I dropped off the soundbar and sub at PC World for repair, which took a week. When it was returned to me, it seemed like the sub had a new plug on it, so I suspect they did so something to it. Anyway, as soon as I plugged it in the sub started cutting out again!! There was also some aesthetic damage to the soundbar and sub - a couple of nicks to the soundbar edge and it looks like the sub was dropped on one corner because the metal is scuffed and crushed. Grrr. I take good care of my things, so this is setting off my OCD a little! Might have to get back in touch with PC World / Currys and see what they have to say about it.

As a last gasp attempt to resolve the sub cutting out problem, I wrapped the power cord to the sub around a ferrite core a couple of times and this seems to have resolved the problem. I must have some RF interference on my home power supply which the sub is particularly sensitive to. So if anyone has had trouble with their sub cutting out or making strange sounds, then try putting a ferrite core around the power cable to see if it helps. You can also try a mains conditioner like a Tacima 6 way mains conditioner which you can get from Richer Sounds and Amazon.
post #2064 of 2363 Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 PM

Liked: 2
Hey everyone, sorry if it's been asked previously. I'm currently watching interstellar 4k on a Sony Z9D. Does anyone notice sometimes it seems like you need to bring the volume up higher for the dialogue to be loud enough? Currently i'm on 23 and this is perfect, but now say during the louder space sequences 23 is almost too loud and i find myself turning it down. My sound setting is on movie and the voice is at +2, all components are plugged into the soundbar. Am i nit picking?
post #2065 of 2363 Old 12-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey everyone, sorry if it's been asked previously. I'm currently watching interstellar 4k on a Sony Z9D. Does anyone notice sometimes it seems like you need to bring the volume up higher for the dialogue to be loud enough? Currently i'm on 23 and this is perfect, but now say during the louder space sequences 23 is almost too loud and i find myself turning it down. My sound setting is on movie and the voice is at +2, all components are plugged into the soundbar. Am i nit picking?

It could be possible that’s how the sound was mastered but i know what you mean. I lowered my bass to 5 to even out the dialogue & boom factor but overall dialogue is pretty good for me no matter what

Lettierej likes this.

PS4 PRO
post #2066 of 2363 Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s just how movies are. Low dialogue and BANG scare the crap out of you lol.
Lettierej likes this.
post #2067 of 2363 Old 12-12-2018, 03:01 PM

Liked: 1
Thank you all that have posted here. I just finished reading all 69 pages of this forum on this sound bar. I bought this sound bar at BB Saturday afternoon. I naively thought if I buy a high end Sony sound bar to go with my Sony 930e and X700 that it would be just a plug and play affair. Could not get it to work correctly when I first installed it. Many of you understand obsession. You have at times confused me, scared me, but mostly helped me delay my insanity. Some stuff is still not exactly right, but thanks to this forum it is much better. I like the sound I am getting. Just watched some Blade Runner with Atmos from VUDU. The biggest remaining set up hassle that remains is simply turning the system on to watch TV from my cable box without using the soundbar. I can get it to work, but I got to think about what I am doing. I can't just push the TV button on the original 930e remote. That forces the signal to HDMI 1, instead of HDMI 3 (ARC). I will look for a solution. Not sure about getting a universal remote yet, but probably will since now I have 4 remotes to explain to the rest of the family.
Thanks all!
post #2068 of 2363 Old 12-14-2018, 04:54 AM

So i just got this soundbar yesterday and after messing with it all day im having a odd issue and i searched this whole thread for an answwer but it seems that no one else is experiencing this. So basically i have my HTPC (running kodi for movies) my ps4pro and cable box connected.

HTPC I have spatial sound turned on, dolby atmos for home theater. When i play videos on youtube the sound is crazy loud, like i wouldnt think to go over 25 on volume. When i play movies on kodi which are dolby atmos tracks (the sound bar confirms dolby atmos, (and hdr and resolution all work fine)) the volume seems like it drops like 20 decibles. I have to set the volume to max in order to get something decent but even that isnt very loud, certainly not room shaking like people have mentioned here. Now here is something else wierd, when i play just regular dts tracks like the 4k dark knight the volume seems much louder than movies with an atmos sountrack. I spent the better part of the whole day trying to figure out what was going on becuase it certainly didnt seem correct that i would litterally have to set the volume at MAX for movies via kodi. I have everything in KODI set correctly, im passing audio through. If i disable passthrough the soundbar displays LPCM 7 and the Audio gets a big boost in volume.

PS4pro so i gave up messing with the htpc and switched over to the pro and WOW the sound from the pro so SOO much louder than the sound from kodi (sounds as loud as youtube on htpc) I was seriously impressed with the clarity and bass. Here i wouldnt dream of cranking it all the way. I have my ps4 set to pcm
Im going to assume that this is what the soundbar is supposed to sound like becuase it sounds phenominal, just amazing, i used to have a denon receiver with a 3.0 system and wow this definitely is just as good if not superior.

I unfortunatly dont have a stand alone 4k blue ray player to test, its my suspicion that the sound will be just as loud as the ps4 pro with a stand alone player.

Anyone else running into this sort of situation? forgot to mention i do have DRC disabled.

Last edited by freelancerx8; 12-14-2018 at 05:17 AM.
post #2069 of 2363 Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozkay View Post
Hi,

So I've had this soundbar since about March. I have it hooked up via ARC to my LG OLED and and Xbox One connected to the soundbar. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it. Over the last few months I have heard a distorted/gurgling sound coming from the sub. It only happens on certain content such as the Youtube TV app, Netflix app on my TV and certain apps on the Xbox. Most movies played from the Xbox via disc play just fine and any Atmos content sounds amazing.

I will say that over the weekend I went out and bought a complete Bose 700 system (soundbar, sub and rears) TV shows you can't really tell but movies you do notice the power of the Sony over the Bose but the rear speakers well lets just say they make a difference but my main point is all content on the Bose is clear and not distorted.

I guess my question is do I have a defective Sony unit or is it something to due with the content from the TV to the Sony?

Hey there! So this isn't an issue per say with your soundbar. This is a known issue caused by interference from the wireless sub and the network in your house. I had this issue and it was a muffled, almost sounded like a blown speaker. It drove me to near insanity to find a solution to fix it. I ran across a post on here a while back that solved the issue. Essentially you need to secure-link your system. There are instructions online and in the manual but it's relatively easy, you just need to go into the soundbars settings and find a setting that works. It takes some time and a bit of testing because you'll think you've found a setting that doesn't cause interference and then it does, so just switch to the next one. I haven't had any interference since then, hope this helps.
post #2070 of 2363 Old 12-15-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret Wood View Post
Hey there! So this isn't an issue per say with your soundbar. This is a known issue caused by interference from the wireless sub and the network in your house. I had this issue and it was a muffled, almost sounded like a blown speaker. It drove me to near insanity to find a solution to fix it. I ran across a post on here a while back that solved the issue. Essentially you need to secure-link your system. There are instructions online and in the manual but it's relatively easy, you just need to go into the soundbars settings and find a setting that works. It takes some time and a bit of testing because you'll think you've found a setting that doesn't cause interference and then it does, so just switch to the next one. I haven't had any interference since then, hope this helps.
Same issue but mine was dropping out. Done the secure link and set it on 5.2GHz auto channel. Still a problem and even changed the channels manually. Then changed to 5.8GHz auto channel and no problem since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page