SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 453Likes

post #2071 of 2390 Old 12-18-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
No. The Xbox One X can't properly decode color like most standalone players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
Microsoft fixed it last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Samonte View Post
So good for a player now then?
I can vouch for the Xbox One X and Xbox One S as fantastic UHDBR players, fully capable audio and video.
I use the S in my family room 5.1.4 set-up and the X in my dedicated basement 7.2.6 set-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2390 Old 12-18-2018, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I bought this soundbar over the weekend to go with my Vizio P75 (2018) and no matter what I do I can't get my Roku Stick+ to detect 60hz 4k or HDR. Plugged into the TV it works just fine. Absolute no go when run through arc even though I have enhanced HDMI set to on. Xbox One S will detect and play Atmos through Arc but once again, no HDR and won't allow me to enable Dolby Vision even though my understanding is the soundbar now supports it. Anyone else having these kind of issues? Wondering if I got a faulty bar or there is a setting I don't have on with my TV that is causing these issues.

Sony UBX700 4k bluray player is deciding atmos and HDR10 (even though it also supports Dolby Vision) through arc. I don't understand. And I'm not tech deficient in the least.
post #2073 of 2390 Old 12-19-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC42182 View Post
I bought this soundbar over the weekend to go with my Vizio P75 (2018) and no matter what I do I can't get my Roku Stick+ to detect 60hz 4k or HDR. Plugged into the TV it works just fine. Absolute no go when run through arc even though I have enhanced HDMI set to on. Xbox One S will detect and play Atmos through Arc but once again, no HDR and won't allow me to enable Dolby Vision even though my understanding is the soundbar now supports it. Anyone else having these kind of issues? Wondering if I got a faulty bar or there is a setting I don't have on with my TV that is causing these issues.

Sony UBX700 4k bluray player is deciding atmos and HDR10 (even though it also supports Dolby Vision) through arc. I don't understand. And I'm not tech deficient in the least.
I think you did not switch soundbar ports to "Enhanced" in the options.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2390 Old 12-20-2018, 03:11 PM

I figured it out. The enhanced features were on but I had to enable full HDR color from the input controls on my TV. Everything works flawlessly now thankfully.

Now I'm just annoyed at something else, as is everyone. This system DEFINITELY needs rear speaker support. Deadpool 2 actually fairly capably projected some height and a touch of rear surround, but rear speakers would have made it fantasic. I have to believe Sony will eventually alleviate this issue. Maybe..
post #2075 of 2390 Old 12-31-2018, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I had purchased the ST5000 and was awaiting delivery of the new Sony 65" Z9f flagship LED which (like the ST5000) supports eARC. The TV has been set up with this soundbar for 2 weeks, and I just wanted to report that eARC has been flawless since day one. I have a Directv box, UBP-X800 Blu Ray Player, and my son's switch connected to the TV with eARC connected between the TV and Soundbar. I enjoy the convenience of the TV detecting which device is turned on and then turning on the soundbar and sending the signal. I don't need to change any inputs or use the on/off button on the soundbar and only use its remote for volume or soundfield adjustments. I have not experienced any sinc issues either. I also have the option of plugging additional devices to the soundbar, but for now I'm only using the 3 mentioned above. In the event any of you are upgrading your display in the future, just wanted to share that a display and soundbar that both support eARC provides a nice convenience.
leojj25, MechaGodzilla and Rich C like this.

Sony Master Series XBR-65Z9F, Sony ST-5000 7.1 Channel Soundbar, Sony UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray Player
post #2076 of 2390 Old 12-31-2018, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,
I need help with my settings. My TV sometimes stops showing cable content after about a minute after I turn off the soundbar. The TV stays on but says that it is not receiving a signal from HDMI 3. I have a St5000 soundbar getting inputs from an x700 blue ray and a comcast STB and everything outputted via ARC to a Sony 930e. Everything is Sony except the cable box. When I first bought the soundbar over a month ago, I wanted to be able to still watch TV without turning on the soundbar and occasionally just use the TV sound output. I tried every setting I could find, but I got stuck in a loop that everything was fine, except if I turned off the soundbar while watching cable, I would get a message that the TV was switching to TV speakers and a few moments later the cable signal was lost. I eventually got everything working correctly and have loved the set up. Dolby vision and atmos are working and all firmware updated.. Yesterday, I finally put the soundbar's box out for recycling. Of course the problem started up again last night. The only thing that changed was my son connected his Switch via HDMI 2 into the TV (not ARC) and he also watched some streaming content via X700. The only other thing that changed is I briefly unplugged the soundbar and then plugged it back it while swapping outlets. I had the same problem recur. If I turned off the soundbar the sound would automatically change to the TV's speaker but after a few moments the cable signal was lost. I went through the TV 's menu and saw that sometimes the HDMI3 label was grey'ed out. So it seems that the ARC was turning itself off when the soundbar was powering down. I eventually got everything working correctly again. BUT not sure what I did to fix it. I tried the soundbar HDMI options, and the SYNC options. It is not the auto off, because the TV itself always stays on and there is a lag between the soundbar turning off and the loss of the cable box output to the TV. Even though everything is working OK at the moment. Not being able to know what caused it is stressful. HDMI control is turned on. Anybody following this description and have an explanation/ solution. I think maybe the TV is on but expecting the soundbar to be on, or somehow the ARC output is turning off.
Thanks!
post #2077 of 2390 Old 01-01-2019, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysleep View Post
Hi,
I need help with my settings. My TV sometimes stops showing cable content after about a minute after I turn off the soundbar. The TV stays on but says that it is not receiving a signal from HDMI 3. I have a St5000 soundbar getting inputs from an x700 blue ray and a comcast STB and everything outputted via ARC to a Sony 930e. Everything is Sony except the cable box. When I first bought the soundbar over a month ago, I wanted to be able to still watch TV without turning on the soundbar and occasionally just use the TV sound output. I tried every setting I could find, but I got stuck in a loop that everything was fine, except if I turned off the soundbar while watching cable, I would get a message that the TV was switching to TV speakers and a few moments later the cable signal was lost. I eventually got everything working correctly and have loved the set up. Dolby vision and atmos are working and all firmware updated.. Yesterday, I finally put the soundbar's box out for recycling. Of course the problem started up again last night. The only thing that changed was my son connected his Switch via HDMI 2 into the TV (not ARC) and he also watched some streaming content via X700. The only other thing that changed is I briefly unplugged the soundbar and then plugged it back it while swapping outlets. I had the same problem recur. If I turned off the soundbar the sound would automatically change to the TV's speaker but after a few moments the cable signal was lost. I went through the TV 's menu and saw that sometimes the HDMI3 label was grey'ed out. So it seems that the ARC was turning itself off when the soundbar was powering down. I eventually got everything working correctly again. BUT not sure what I did to fix it. I tried the soundbar HDMI options, and the SYNC options. It is not the auto off, because the TV itself always stays on and there is a lag between the soundbar turning off and the loss of the cable box output to the TV. Even though everything is working OK at the moment. Not being able to know what caused it is stressful. HDMI control is turned on. Anybody following this description and have an explanation/ solution. I think maybe the TV is on but expecting the soundbar to be on, or somehow the ARC output is turning off.
Thanks!
Change "standby through" to on for any non-Sony device should make it work.

"Set [System Settings] - [HDMI Settings] -
[Standby Through] to [Auto] (page 59).
The default setting is [Auto].
If the picture of a device connected to the
system is not displayed on the TV, set
[Standby Through] to [On]. If you connect a
TV other than those manufactured by
Sony, we recommend you to select this
setting."
post #2078 of 2390 Old 01-01-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysheep View Post
Change "standby through" to on for any non-Sony device should make it work.

"Set [System Settings] - [HDMI Settings] -
[Standby Through] to [Auto] (page 59).
The default setting is [Auto].
If the picture of a device connected to the
system is not displayed on the TV, set
[Standby Through] to [On]. If you connect a
TV other than those manufactured by
Sony, we recommend you to select this
setting."
Thanks for the reply! I am using a Sony TV (930e) so that setting should have been OK.
post #2079 of 2390 Old 01-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hello,

I'm going to be replacing an LG SK10Y with a new soundbar, and am considering the HT-ST5000. I am looking for advice to see if this replacement will solve all of my current problems.

My current setup:
- LG OLED C8
- LG SK10Y
- Xfinity XG1v4 Cable Box
- Apple TV 4K
- Sony 4K Blu Ray Player

Problem 1 - Lipsync with LG OLED C8: While technically not a soundbar issue, the lipsync problems with the LG OLED TV when used with a cable box seem like they are here to stay. The implication is that I cannot simply hook all my stuff up to the TV and then use ARC to connect to the sound bar. This is a bummer, because if I could, then life would truly be good. Also, optical has the same issue in case you were wondering. (It has to do with when the cable box upconverts a stereo signal to DD but lacks the necessary timing information, and the TV doesn't pass it through properly)

Problem 2 - SK10Y lack of discreet codes - With the LG SK10Y as the hub of the system, it's lack of easy command and control are problems. In particular, the lack of discreet codes for inputs rules out using a Harmony remote to make things work well together.

Problem 3 - SK10Y lack of 3 HDMI ports - Pretty simple, with the SK10Y as a hub it can't handle three different source devices.

So, my question is this: If I use the ST-HT5000 as the hub of the system, will I be able to use a Harmony remote with discreet codes for input selection? Are there any other surprises or concerns I should think about?

In the long run, I plan to replace the C8 with an OLED TV that supports eARC, possibly a Sony. But that won't happen for a while. Possibly when HDMI 2.1 is also a reality.

While the LG OLED has a beautiful picture, I really have to say their software seems to be garbage. I've owned a lot of Sony gear in the past and it almost always seems to hit the mark on software functionality.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
post #2080 of 2390 Old 01-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
Hello,

I'm going to be replacing an LG SK10Y with a new soundbar, and am considering the HT-ST5000. I am looking for advice to see if this replacement will solve all of my current problems.

My current setup:
- LG OLED C8
- LG SK10Y
- Xfinity XG1v4 Cable Box
- Apple TV 4K
- Sony 4K Blu Ray Player

Problem 1 - Lipsync with LG OLED C8: While technically not a soundbar issue, the lipsync problems with the LG OLED TV when used with a cable box seem like they are here to stay. The implication is that I cannot simply hook all my stuff up to the TV and then use ARC to connect to the sound bar. This is a bummer, because if I could, then life would truly be good. Also, optical has the same issue in case you were wondering. (It has to do with when the cable box upconverts a stereo signal to DD but lacks the necessary timing information, and the TV doesn't pass it through properly)

Problem 2 - SK10Y lack of discreet codes - With the LG SK10Y as the hub of the system, it's lack of easy command and control are problems. In particular, the lack of discreet codes for inputs rules out using a Harmony remote to make things work well together.

Problem 3 - SK10Y lack of 3 HDMI ports - Pretty simple, with the SK10Y as a hub it can't handle three different source devices.

So, my question is this: If I use the ST-HT5000 as the hub of the system, will I be able to use a Harmony remote with discreet codes for input selection? Are there any other surprises or concerns I should think about?

In the long run, I plan to replace the C8 with an OLED TV that supports eARC, possibly a Sony. But that won't happen for a while. Possibly when HDMI 2.1 is also a reality.

While the LG OLED has a beautiful picture, I really have to say their software seems to be garbage. I've owned a lot of Sony gear in the past and it almost always seems to hit the mark on software functionality.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
I use Harmony with the HT-ST5000 and you can directly pick inputs. Tend to turn off HDMI CEC when using the Harmony though as it can cause issues.
post #2081 of 2390 Old 01-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSword View Post
I use Harmony with the HT-ST5000 and you can directly pick inputs. Tend to turn off HDMI CEC when using the Harmony though as it can cause issues.
Thanks
post #2082 of 2390 Old 01-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Liked: 12
I simply treat the HT-ST5000 like an AVR - 3 components input to the soundbar, one output to the screen, no CEC, and all inputs and outputs set by the Harmony for each activity.
post #2083 of 2390 Old 01-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My 5000 is connected to my G6 OLED via optical digital cable. G6 VUDU App saids Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. Clicking display on my 5000 remote the soundbar saids Dolby Digital 48 khz/ Dolby Surrond.

Can Dolby Surrond be forced to do Neural:X audio upmix rather than dolby surrond upmix. In otherwords optical dolby digital 5.1 becomes Neural:X outputing from the 5000?

My settings already shows Audio Upmix set to Neural:X.
post #2084 of 2390 Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just setup this soundbar a day ago and still playing around to get used to everything but like the sound so far.

Is there a way to rename the HDMI inputs to certain names/devices?
post #2085 of 2390 Old 01-06-2019, 10:36 AM

For you guys getting Atmos overhead sounds as per https://www.whathifi.com/sony/ht-st5000/review _______ is your Sony 5000 at table height? how far do you sit from the bar to experience good overhead sounds(I don't mean high soundstage effects). Are your distances specifications enter for Sony 5000 calibration true or do you have to enter different lenghts to force good overhead atmos sounds?
post #2086 of 2390 Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by final442 View Post
Just setup this soundbar a day ago and still playing around to get used to everything but like the sound so far.

Is there a way to rename the HDMI inputs to certain names/devices?

Home button, hdmi number you want to pick and press options on remote.
post #2087 of 2390 Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 AM

After much Sony 5000 Audio Setting changes I am getting very good over-head Atmos ceiling bounce. This is quite apparent watching 4K Disc movie Ready Player One. At minute 42:06 transport spaceships are arriving to the planet/dance club. From about 1 feet in front of me(MLP) at top of my ceiling from the right... a large spaceship flys down to the Dance planet. I hear Vivid overhead Atmos sounds from ceiling top(1 feet in front of me) traversing down and forward to mid upper right screen of my 65 inch display. I will post my Sony 5000 Audio settings.
leojj25 likes this.
post #2088 of 2390 Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Sony 5000 Audio Settings:

True 5000
front speaker face plate to mlp
53 inch.

True 5000 atmos speaker top face plate to ceiling 64 inch. 5feet 4 inch

Atmos top face plate to floor
31 inch.

Top ceiling to floor

64 + 31 = 95. .......8 feet x 12 is 96

Speaker Settings
Front
plate to mlp 6.25ft
Subwoofer to mlp 3.5 feet

Level
Front -1.5 DB
Height 6 DB
Subwoofer 6 DB

ceiling Height
table top to ceiling top. Actual is
64 inch + 3 =67 = 5feet 7 inch

I did 4 feet entered not bad!

Entering 3.5 feet ceiling bounce seems louder ( than entering 4) with good placement of sound. Did not like entering 5.5feet which is the actual measured value.

Audio DRC set to off.

My Ceiling is Flat and Horizontal.
leojj25 and flysheep like this.
post #2089 of 2390 Old 01-07-2019, 11:51 AM

53 + 15.5 is 68.5 inch the distance from my OLED screen to mlp. 5feet 8.5 inch.
post #2090 of 2390 Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 AM

Post #2088 above was a cut n paste. Apparrently space lines got deleted. I will repost with periods and some rewording:

Sony 5000 Audio Settings:
True 5000 front speaker face plate to mlp 53 inch. Thats 4 feet 5 inch. True 5000 atmos speaker top face plate to ceiling 64 inch. Thats 5feet 4 inch. Atmos top face plate to floor 31 inch. Top ceiling to floor 64 + 31 = 95 appx. Note 8 feet x 12 is 96._________Sony 5000 Speaker Settings:Front 5000 face plate to mlp 6.25ft. That length is over specified from its True value. Subwoofer to mlp 3.5 feet. Level Front -1.5 DB. Height 6 DB. Subwoofer 6 DB. Ceiling Height table top to ceiling top as actual is 64 inch + 3 =67 = 5feet 7 inch. For settings I did entered 4 feet with very good results! Entering 3.5 feet ceiling bounce seems louder vs entering 4 with good placement of sound overhead. Did not like entering 5.5 feet which is the actual measured value. Audio DRC set to off. My Ceiling is Flat and Horizontal.
post #2091 of 2390 Old 01-08-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 11
CES 2019 is this week. Hopefully Sony unveil support for rear speakers on the HTST5000 !!!??
leojj25 likes this.
post #2092 of 2390 Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lynch View Post
CES 2019 is this week. Hopefully Sony unveil support for rear speakers on the HTST5000 !!!??
Unfortunately that doesn't sound like the case. I'd have gone back and bought the 5000 again.
post #2093 of 2390 Old 01-09-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

Never going to happen.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #2094 of 2390 Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
Home button, hdmi number you want to pick and press options on remote.
Thanks! It worked, wished there was an option to manually type in the name as the options are limited (no streaming device name option).
leojj25 likes this.
post #2095 of 2390 Old 01-09-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Talking Add Rears to HT-ST5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC42182 View Post
Unfortunately that doesn't sound like the case. I'd have gone back and bought the 5000 again.
I added non-Atmos rears to ST5000 using a transmitter/receiver system (suggested earlier in this thread). Insignia (BestBuy) Rear Speakers (NS-HURSK18). Kit includes the trx/rec units. One can use the included speakers or upgrade, if desired.
post #2096 of 2390 Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I added non-Atmos rears to ST5000 using a transmitter/receiver system (suggested earlier in this thread). Insignia (BestBuy) Rear Speakers (NS-HURSK18). Kit includes the trx/rec units. One can use the included speakers or upgrade, if desired.

How do you like it? 5.1 works well?
leojj25 likes this.
post #2097 of 2390 Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Have a link & how does it work? Does 5.1 & Atmos still work as they should but better?

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #2098 of 2390 Old 01-09-2019, 04:37 PM

Huge Revelation as I compared my Sony 5000 with two Front Atmos Channels versus my 5.1.4 Atmos Fronts and Rears from Onkyo TX-RZ830 AVR with Klipsch RP-140sa Atmos Fronts and Focal Atmos rears.

First with my Sony 5000 I listen closely to the Overhead and High Stage Atmos fronts sounds. Wow. So great. For 4K Atmos discs Ready Player One and 4K Atmos disc Valerian. THEN I listened closely the same to my Atmos 5.1.4 setup. To my utter shock many many of Sony 5000 Atmos front two channels sounds did not appear on my Front Atmos channels of my 5.1.4 setup. Most those Sony 5000 Atmos front channels sounds appeared in my Focal L/R Atmos rear top firing speakers. I don't lose any top firing Atmos sounds using my Sony 5000. Apparently some Atmos content designers just simply move rear channels signals to the Atmos fronts if you only have two atmos front speakers. This makes me ask if having two rear channels is even important for the Sony 5000?

I also tested with the Incredible Atmos Goosebumps blu ray movie. This movie has tons of Front Atmos channel sounds and Rear Atmos channel sounds. Lots overhead Atmos Objects hitting the 360 degrees Atmos bubble. Lots Objects panning all over. Lots low frequencies coming downwards from the Atmos bubble. This is an Outstanding Atmos Reference disc. If you want to test out your Front Atmos channels get this disc.
post #2099 of 2390 Old 01-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
Have a link & how does it work? Does 5.1 & Atmos still work as they should but better?
The player need to have both HDMI and optical output. The HDMI output will deliver atmos signal to ST5000 at the same time optical will pass same signal to insignia box to decode the rear channel. Definitely 5.1 will work but I doubt if insignia can decode atmos.
post #2100 of 2390 Old 01-09-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
How do you like it? 5.1 works well?
I am not an audiophile but it works great for us.

See later posts: flysheep and my response
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page