SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 454Likes

post #2161 of 2392 Old 01-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z9DAtmosVuduDV View Post
My Roku's HDMI cable connected to Sony 5000 HDMI3 port. I played many VUDU UHD Atmos movies thru the 5000. It displays DD+ in and Atmos out. My G6 OLED also show UHD Atmos. Man. I can't wait for Roku with Dolby Vision
In the interim, what about using a Chromecast Ultra (supposedly is Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos capable?). I mostly use ATV 4K (we have lots of Vision and Atmos content on iTunes).

Also, I am a bit confused by your statement ...”DD+ in and Atmos out.” Can you explain?

For me, now my missing piece is adding those Insignia rears (5.1 only...not DD+ capable). Every switch or splitter I’ve tried with the ATV 4K (to force 5.1 on optical (via 2nd HDMI output to audio extractor) automatically resets the ATV audio/video settings. Even tried direct optical out on TV...only outputs the DD+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2392 Old 01-21-2019, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Dolby True HD is found only on blue ray disc. Its Atmos is not Lossy. Dolby Digital Plus is used by streaming movies. Its Atmos is Lossy. Roku's VUDU sends via HDMI its DD+ with Atmos encoding. From that the Sony 5000 outputs to its upFiring speakers Atmos sounds._____
https://developer.dolby.com/technology/dolby-audio/dolby-digital-plus/
post #2163 of 2392 Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 PM

Digital Optical cannot transmit Dolby Digital plus. Thus with Digital Optical you cannot transmit Atmos elements....
"When the digital optical connection was developed, it was made to accommodate the digital audio standards at the time (mainly 2-channel CD playback). In addition, it also provided enough bandwidth space for basic Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround but did not include the bandwidth capacity for the more advanced 5.1/7.1 channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, or DTS:X surround sound formats."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2392 Old 01-21-2019, 07:33 PM

You need HDMI Cable to transmit Dolby Digital Plus with its Atmos Encode. Vudu 4K UHD can encode Atmos with its transmmited DD+. Beware. A few VUDU 4K UHD Movies transmit DD+ without the Atmos encode... even thru HDMI cable.
post #2165 of 2392 Old 01-21-2019, 07:36 PM

I have Chromecast Ultra. Connected to Onkyo AVR it gives fantastic HDR and Atmos on Sony TVs. CCU connected to Sony 5000 then HDMI to LG OLED gives Crazy colors and brightness... a total Mess.
post #2166 of 2392 Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I have Chromecast Ultra. Connected to Onkyo AVR it gives fantastic HDR and Atmos on Sony TVs. CCU connected to Sony 5000 then HDMI to LG OLED gives Crazy colors and brightness... a total Mess.
What about connecting CCU directly to LG OLED? I’ve seen some posts by LG OLED ‘7’ users reporting success with Atmos passthrough via ARC. Don’t know about ‘6’ series capabilities. Of course, it is lossy, but as an interim solution may be OK?

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-22-2019 at 12:45 AM.
post #2167 of 2392 Old 01-22-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Digital Optical cannot transmit Dolby Digital plus. Thus with Digital Optical you cannot transmit Atmos elements....
My original statement may be incorrect, all I can say is that Sony X900F doesn’t output 5.1 on optical when ST5000 source is Atmos & using ARC. Wasn’t really expecting that to work, but I had to try as I’d exhausted all other feasible options for ATV 4K.
post #2168 of 2392 Old 01-22-2019, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Wow! Sitting at 4.5’ feet from soundbar...I finally was able to hear Atmos. Helicopter was directly overhead.

I can even hear it now at 10-11’ (MLP).

Thanks for all of your help.
Out of interest could you post your settings that work at 10 feet?
post #2169 of 2392 Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisuko View Post
That's exactly the same issue I have, the example you recorded is spot on as well!
I still haven't contacted sony, as the distorted sounds haven't returned for about 2 months meanwhile. I think it has something to do with how you use the soundbar. I happened to me when I turned up the volume more than usual (like when the family wasn't around for some weeks). But normally I can't put the volume higher than 12 (due to sleeping kids) and since then the issue didn't come back.

I don't think it's a firmware issue, had it already before the latest e-arc update.
I'm bringing my soundbar back to the shop where I bought it (2 years warranty), will let you know about the progression/process.
post #2170 of 2392 Old 01-22-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSword View Post
Out of interest could you post your settings that work at 10 feet?
I relied heavily on postings by @Z9DAtmosVuduDV .

Actual Measurements:

Floor to ceiling 11’, Floor to ST5000 (SB) 3’, hence entered Ceiling = 8’
Front (to MLP) 10’9”, entered 5’ (tested sitting at 5’), could also hear the Atmos seated at MLP, I never changed (5’)
Sub Woofer (to MLP), entered 6’ (same logic as Front)

dB:

Front -1.5
Height 6.0
Sub 3.0
post #2171 of 2392 Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello everybody, I really need your help because I currently have a problem (that I think) with the sound bar Sony HT-ST5000.
I hooked up the soundbar with LG OLED65C7P and a TV Shield player in my living room. Every time I'm done and turn it off (through Logitech Harmony Companion All in One), it stays on standby for about 5 seconds and then a message 'Please wait' appears and then my LG TV turned ON again.
That's really weird and I really don't know what's wrong with it. I tried to replace Logitech Harmony Companion by a Logitech Harmony 650 but to no avail. The TV Shield player connects to soundbar at HDMI1 port, and the soundbar connects to TV LG at HDMI out (ARC) port.
Also, every time I turn the system ON, on the TV screen always appears Sony soundbar setup screen that requests me to confirm the HDMI1 port before it turns into Shield screen. Again, it's really weird.
Please tell me why and how I can fix it.
Thank you so much. I much appreciate your help.
post #2172 of 2392 Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey, guys. I didn't know where to ask, so here I am. Weird issue incoming:

I just noticed (because of a new case of RF interference with my sub) that the "RF Band" selector is missing from the "Wireless Subwoofer Connection" settings. The only items there are "Secure Link" and "RF Channel". I could swear that "RF Band" was there as well.

Was it removed in an update?
post #2173 of 2392 Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 PM

My observations so far (remember I’m not an audiophile):

1. When playing Atmos movie tracks I slightly prefer just using the ST5000 soundbar (SB) vs adding the 5.1 rear (non Atmos) surrounds. Of course, this is based on having Atmos settings on SB set up optimally for your listening space. Still a bit front heavy, but I felt the rears did not add appreciably to the experience.

2. On 5.1 tracks...the rear (non Atmos) surrounds do add significantly to the soundfield. By adding the Insignia non Atmos rears...I am pleased with the end result, as I did miss the rear input.

Atmos movies I’ve tested: Skyscraper, John Wick (#1), Everest and Goosebumps 2. Personally, I liked Skyscraper (overhead helicopter) and Everest: had to play in either Atmos or 5.1 (all spks)...couldn’t test Atmos to SB while utilizing 5.1 rears as my only Atmos copy is on iTunes and I wasn’t able to simultaneously output Atmos/5.1 (see earlier posts). While there were some good overhead effects on Goosebumps 2 (Vudu on Roku is capable of Atmos/5.1 output simultaneously, it didn’t WoW me. John Wick rain scene was OK but I didn’t feel immersed with rain from overhead on Atmos.

I also tested several Dolby Atmos demos on You Tube and I was definitely in the Atmos bubble.

My only regret is not being able to test ST5000 vs Samsung HW-N950 (with integrated Atmos rears), although it’s probably better that I couldn’t due to price difference of $600 when I ordered...no way for my budget at the time.
post #2174 of 2392 Old 01-23-2019, 08:52 AM

From HighDefDigest.com GooseBumps 2 review. 4.5 stars **audio** rating_____ "Leave it to Dolby Atmos to bring Goosebumps 2 to creepy crawly life! Dialogue is clean and clear throughout, without any issues. Scoring by Dominic Lewis does a great job of adding mood and punching up the fun. Surround activity is very active with this mix as there are constant little sound sources to keep the channels active and engaged. Levels are spot on without any need for adjustment down the line.

Where Atmos really brings it to the show is with the sense of space and dimension in any given room. From shopping centers to the creepy abandoned house - there is great subtle object-based sound focus engaging the verticals. When the movie is briefly being quiet it helps kick up the spooky moodiness and then when the action gets rolling it's a hell of a lot of fun. The sound of creatures and monsters swirling around and destroying things and possessing the residents is a real riot. It may not have been entirely necessary to have an Atmos mix on a film that is very much directed towards the younger folk in the room - but this movie makes great use of the extra channel spacing."______ My experience on the Sony 5000 is similar on the " engaging verticals". Object based Atmos sounds can appears often from 5000 height all the way up to near ceiling. And as well for the same Atmos object often Horizontal extension. Thus for objects 3D movements can be very strong. On my 5000 the distance settings I use for SB to MLP, to ceiling works reasonably well. But from various blu ray disc Atmos movies I achieved strong atmos object hits directly above the MLP position. Even to its right. And once even from further behind. I believe this allows some my GB2 Objects to have greater 3D depth when traversing in 3D space. ie., panning or object sounds traversing down at angles. THUS in John Wick #1 blu ray disc pouring rain scene for 1 minute the overhead rain objects traversing down extends all the way to the MLP. My MLP is 4.5 feet to the Sony 5000 front speaker plate.
post #2175 of 2392 Old 01-23-2019, 09:23 AM

Blu-ray.com audio review of GB #2 disc. 4.5 stars.____ "Sony's UHD release of Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween is headlined by a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. The extra channels within the Atmos configuration do together offer some added liveliness and immersion in the film's generally boisterous and very active sound elements. Big swirling sounds when Slappy summons some new companions in the Halloween isle at a pharmacy in chapter eight kicks off a fairly steady barrage of fluid, active, and high energy dominant sounds, with various sweeps and swoops and all sorts of chaos spilling from every channel but also traversing through the speakers with impressive ease and precision of movement. Whether taking place during a Gummy Bear attack sequence in a living room in chapter 10 or when various sound details define the chaos erupting outside in the neighborhood, the track offers a nearly endless assortment of enjoyable, rowdy effects and music that pull the listener squarely into the middle of the madness. Discrete overhead effects are not prominent, but the top end does fold nicely into the mix, adding some much appreciated depth and additional detail to score and effects alike, again particularly in that chaotic, sonically relentless third act. The track does lack thunderous bass, whether in support of music or effects, which is the only real downside. Less intense atmospheric supports bear the fruits of the added location detail, such as rustling leaves and wind and slight ominous thunder in chapter eight after Sonny, Sarah, and Sam attempt to get rid of Slappy once and for all. Dialogue is clear, well prioritized, and firmly planted in the center unless the location demands some light reverb." ______ watching GB2 I did put my ears near top of Sony 5000 right side upFiring speaker plate. When I heard loud distinct Atmos objects I matched it to the sequence scene in the movie. Rewind the disc. Watched scene again while SEEING on my Atmos Bubble where the sound atmos object hit. As well I have have also modified my Sony 5000 distance to mlp, distance to ceiling for effect changes. I also did same with blu ray diac Ready Player One. Correlating Many its Atmos object hits on my ceiling. Thus allowing me to Optimize my Sony 5000 settings. Using my ears over the 5000 upFiring speaker plate was integral for my optimizing 5000 3D Atmos Bubble process
post #2176 of 2392 Old 01-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsySnake View Post
Hey, guys. I didn't know where to ask, so here I am. Weird issue incoming:

I just noticed (because of a new case of RF interference with my sub) that the "RF Band" selector is missing from the "Wireless Subwoofer Connection" settings. The only items there are "Secure Link" and "RF Channel". I could swear that "RF Band" was there as well.

Was it removed in an update?

Z9DAtmosVuduDV? [email protected]? Anyone?
post #2177 of 2392 Old 01-23-2019, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsySnake View Post
Z9DAtmosVuduDV? [email protected]? Anyone?
As far as I know that option is only available for US firmware. Although I don't know why.
post #2178 of 2392 Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysheep View Post
As far as I know that option is only available for US firmware. Although I don't know why.

Thanks so much!
post #2179 of 2392 Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 PM

My Wireless Sub Connection has secure link off RF Band Auto. RF Channel Auto. My Firmware version Update includes Sony 5000 display screen upon click remotes Display button SHOWS whether Atmos, DTS:X, Neural X, DD Surround, DD+ is being activated. Software version M40.R.0444
post #2180 of 2392 Old 01-24-2019, 12:48 PM

By this published reviewer the Atmos Bubble is appx 6feet diameter..."This is where I first encountered what ST5000 and Atmos has to offer.

The effects were on point and I was able to pin-point them to within a diameter of around 2 meters inside a room spanning 5x5 meters in width/length and 2.5 meters from floor to ceiling. I encountered something that definitely took advantage of the object-based three-dimensionality of Atmos. I have heard Atmos in the cinema and on far more expensive setups and ST5000 obviously lacks precision compared to such setups but it is also much cheaper.

Another movie that will hardly be remembered as a classic is San Andreas but I like to use it for testing purposes. It is a disaster movie with countless explosions and helicopter sequences. Speaking of, I could clearly hear helicopters approach from a distance and pass over my head. I could also point out on which side of me the helicopter hovered at any given time while the camera was panning over the landscape. To me, this is one area where Sony beats the competition (soundbars) by delivering better precision." from following URL
post #2181 of 2392 Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 PM

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1534502745
post #2182 of 2392 Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted from another Sony 5000 published review_____ "Perhaps what’s most impressive about this soundbar, though, is the level of control you have over the sound. When you first set up the Sony, you specify where the soundbar and subwoofer are located within the room relative to your seating position, and set your room’s ceiling height so Atmos works optimally. And it’s also possible to tweak the levels of the sub and the upward- and forward-firing drivers until you get things just right."______ Last night I was settings testing my Sony 5000 watching the 5 stars audio rated disc Jurrasic Fallen Kingdom in DTS:X. For fun I set my 5000 forward drivers to negative 2.5 DB. Set my upFiring drivers to postive 6 DB. I think I heard every possible overhead Atmos Object sound projected over my 5000 360 degree bubble. Left to right. Back to front. And directly Overhead. And even mid vertical atmos extensions. Granted for DD Atmos discs I prefer Sony 5000 negative 1.5 DB front drivers and positive 6 DB upFiring drivers. Sitting mlp 4.5 feet from the Sony 5000 front speaker plate. But that DTS:X from Fallen Kingdom is Amazing beyond belief with atmos Objects projected from within all over my 360 degree bubble. Again put you right ear over 5000 upFiring speaker plate to know when object ceiling hits occur matched to the scene in the movie. Then rewind disc scene, sit at MLP and watch that scene again. Change Sony 5000 settings for maximum bubble effects as objects hits. Note where they hit overhead. Adjusting 5000 as necessary for where you think the hit position is most correct. For Fallen Kingdom. Try the negative 2.5 DB front driver with positive 6 DB upFiring driver.
post #2183 of 2392 Old 01-26-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi everyone. I'm wondering, for those of you who were able to test both, how much better is the ST5000 compared to the ZF9? Is the price difference justified?
post #2184 of 2392 Old 01-26-2019, 07:52 PM

Tommy tested both ST5000 and Z9F closely... https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1540332912
post #2185 of 2392 Old 01-27-2019, 01:01 AM

Alexious this is from a published review. "During my months with the Z9F, I experienced several occasions where the bar randomly lost connection with either the sub or rear speakers, or both. While simply unplugging the bar from power and reconnecting it generally re-established connection, this was irritating and happened enough that it was worthy of note." Rear speakers if purchased do add several $hundreds$ to Z9F cost. Did you know in the Spring Klipsch will have an Atmos Sound bar with rear upFiring speakers(two front upFiring speakers on the bar).
post #2186 of 2392 Old 01-29-2019, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TV audio disabled?

I just plugged in my ST5000 to my Sony A1.
The volume on the ST5000 can now be changed with either remote. either the TV remote or the Sound bar remote. But the soundbar volume number is always 1/2 of the volume indicated on-screen on the TV.
So it goes in increments of 2 on the TV.

But what i REALLY want to verify is that the speakers+subwoofer (A1 has sub in stand?) on the TV are not in use AT ALL? It's very difficult to hear since it's using the acoustic surface speakers and the soundbar is just in front of the TV. So cannot really tell if any sound is coming from the TV.

Any tips or settings i should check to make sure the TV speakers are 100% disabled? or is this a given and is probably the default behaviour when a soundbar is connected via ARC?
post #2187 of 2392 Old 01-29-2019, 03:56 PM

Hunter Killer 4K UHD Disc. Minute 12:57. Helicopter flys not too high above ground towards the viewer of this movie. You expect Sony 5000 upFiring speakers not be active for this Helicopter traversing to the viewer. For its too close to the ground by viewer's perspective. But the upFiring speakers are active for the whole time. You ask why? that speaker active!!!! Its **mid vertical** engagement by Sony 5000 of the Atmos. By 3D the helicopter appears to fly to the MLP's viewer nose from the TV screen. You really feel like that helicopter is hovering at your nose tip. Makes you wanna grab it with your hand. Of cource you have to calibrate your 5000 Atmos Bubble properly to have good horizontal extension.
post #2188 of 2392 Old 02-03-2019, 12:56 PM

Liked: 12
OK guys, I REALLY need some help on this...
The problem: No ATMOS effects and nothing shown for ATMOS on screen
The setup: 3 different components into SONY 5000 via HDMI. Trying to get ATMOS from my Panasonic DP820 which has separate HDMI cables going into the TV for video and the 5000 for audio. The TV is NOT upgraded yet and is about 5 years old (HDCP 1.4). All other components are HDCP 2.2. Source disks from Panny are Goosebumps & Goosebumps 2. Neither disk is 4K because the TV isn't. I'm getting great sound, but no spatial effects (ATMOS). HDMI are all certified cables. Panny is setup to bitstream. Is ATMOS encoding limited to 4K / HDR disks?
I've played with all settings, including distance and speaker volumes for the SONY - still nothing.
Normally I can figure this stuff out by myself, but this has me stumped. Any thoughts?
post #2189 of 2392 Old 02-03-2019, 06:00 PM

Goosebumps is 1080p blu ray. Its encoded with Atmos. My Lg up970 is hdmi'd to my Sony 5000. I get Atmos on my Sony 5000 display. Sony 5000 audio settings:
DSEE HX on. Audio DRC off. Audio Output speaker. Sound Effect sound field on. Audio Mix neural:X.______ Make sure at movie menu you click Atmos.
post #2190 of 2392 Old 02-04-2019, 12:19 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Goosebumps is 1080p blu ray. Its encoded with Atmos. My Lg up970 is hdmi'd to my Sony 5000. I get Atmos on my Sony 5000 display. Sony 5000 audio settings:
DSEE HX on. Audio DRC off. Audio Output speaker. Sound Effect sound field on. Audio Mix neural:X.______ Make sure at movie menu you click Atmos.
All settings are as you referenced, except for the "Movie Menu". I got two disks with Goosebumps. The one I was using didn't have an ATMOS option, but the other, which had some "bonus" material did. I selected ATMOS and played the same scenes back, with less than dramatic effect. Also, I can't find any reference to ATMOS on the 5000 display when I hit the display button on the remote. Do appreciate your response, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page