SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 475Likes

post #2371 of 2467 Old 10-17-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsnplr2 View Post
I am not officially stumped. I have changed the HDMI ports to enhanced, I have a cable purchased from apple that is Dolby Vision compliant. Running through the HT-St5000 into my Son XBR X950G tv but still no pass through. Also I am on the current firmware.
What are you using for a source ?

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2467 Old 10-17-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Apple TV 4K to the HT ST5000 into my XBR X950G tv plugged into the arc HDMI 3. The cable is a belkin approved for Dolby Vision.
post #2373 of 2467 Old 10-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsnplr2 View Post
Apple TV 4K to the HT ST5000 into my XBR X950G tv plugged into the arc HDMI 3. The cable is a belkin approved for Dolby Vision.
What about the HDMI cable going from the soundbar to the TV? Do you get dolby vision if you plug directly into the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2374 of 2467 Old 10-17-2019, 07:30 AM

Liked: 2
Thanks the one cable I forgot what a Dumb A

Thanks

Tom
Jesse Coane and Burnwood47 like this.
post #2375 of 2467 Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 61
TV HDMI port has to be set to enhanced too

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #2376 of 2467 Old 10-19-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
When playing from an Raspberry Pi , is it possible to see what codec is being used for the movie and what surround mode.
post #2377 of 2467 Old 10-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I have been an AV enthusiast since the 90s and have read this forum continually as I have upgraded and finally decided to join and give my two cents. I have a Sony A8f OLED, Sony x800M2 and Xbox One X currently. I have had a complete Atmos system with very expensive speakers at my old house. We bought a house last year and that system was not an option. In fact because of the layout even wall mounted rears were going to be difficult and only effect the couch are...we have a large family and I like everyone to have the same experience. I started looking at this and the Sennheiser Ambeo but it was too far out of my price range to justify. I have had the St HT5000 for several days now and watched Avengers Endgame and Bumblebee and here is my honest take....the room acoustics have to play a huge part in the experience because my wife, kids, and I were blown away. I could hear sound from all directions...even behind me. In some cases the atmos effect was more pronounced than when I had a whole system which totally surprised me. With that being said the way this room is set up the TV and sound bar are positioned in a corner and it's only 11 feet to the back wall, 6 feet from soundbar to ceiling, and about 2 feet to the side walls. On 26 volume this bar bounces sound all over this room and I am very impressed. I read alot of negative comments which is why I wanted to post an honest review on my experience. This bar surpassed my expectations and I honestly dont miss the complete set up anywhere near what I thought I would and am thoroughly satisfied with this bars performance.
realife3 likes this.
post #2378 of 2467 Old 10-20-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azagoth13 View Post
So I have been an AV enthusiast since the 90s and have read this forum continually as I have upgraded and finally decided to join and give my two cents. I have a Sony A8f OLED, Sony x800M2 and Xbox One X currently. I have had a complete Atmos system with very expensive speakers at my old house. We bought a house last year and that system was not an option. In fact because of the layout even wall mounted rears were going to be difficult and only effect the couch are...we have a large family and I like everyone to have the same experience. I started looking at this and the Sennheiser Ambeo but it was too far out of my price range to justify. I have had the St HT5000 for several days now and watched Avengers Endgame and Bumblebee and here is my honest take....the room acoustics have to play a huge part in the experience because my wife, kids, and I were blown away. I could hear sound from all directions...even behind me. In some cases the atmos effect was more pronounced than when I had a whole system which totally surprised me. With that being said the way this room is set up the TV and sound bar are positioned in a corner and it's only 11 feet to the back wall, 6 feet from soundbar to ceiling, and about 2 feet to the side walls. On 26 volume this bar bounces sound all over this room and I am very impressed. I read alot of negative comments which is why I wanted to post an honest review on my experience. This bar surpassed my expectations and I honestly dont miss the complete set up anywhere near what I thought I would and am thoroughly satisfied with this bars performance.
Thank you for your review. It is very helpful for a person like me who is considering a sound bar solution and looking for personal experiences.

Jamese777
Perpetual Newbie
post #2379 of 2467 Old 10-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello ! This might be a stupid question but I will give it a try I live in a 4 unit condo and soundproofing is not so great when using subwoofers I am used to watching movies with a minimum to no base , I have a Yamaha sound bar with built in subwoofers that I always keep at minimum for respect of the neighbors and never had any issues. I just purchased a 75x900f and a ubpx700 uhd Blu-ray and now I’m interested in purchasing the ht-st5000 to upgrade my current sound bar and to get the full Atmos effect , I was asking my self if this sounbar will still perform well without the subwoofer connected or this will be a waste of money ? Thanks in advance for the replies
post #2380 of 2467 Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max4swag View Post
Hello ! This might be a stupid question but I will give it a try I live in a 4 unit condo and soundproofing is not so great when using subwoofers I am used to watching movies with a minimum to no base , I have a Yamaha sound bar with built in subwoofers that I always keep at minimum for respect of the neighbors and never had any issues. I just purchased a 75x900f and a ubpx700 uhd Blu-ray and now I’m interested in purchasing the ht-st5000 to upgrade my current sound bar and to get the full Atmos effect , I was asking my self if this sounbar will still perform well without the subwoofer connected or this will be a waste of money ? Thanks in advance for the replies
Like any system, the subwoofer is an essential part of the experience. You can do it, yes but not using it will make everything sound flat.

Spoiler!
post #2381 of 2467 Old 10-21-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

Personally, the 5000 sounds amazing, even at 20 volume, the thing is, the sub really packs a punch, you could try to lower the dB to keep it at bay, if you plan to keep it, and maybe move to another place in the future, and don’t like the hassle with cables, go for it.
post #2382 of 2467 Old 10-22-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnwood47 View Post
Quote:
Hello ! This might be a stupid question but I will give it a try I live in a 4 unit condo and soundproofing is not so great when using subwoofers I am used to watching movies with a minimum to no base , I have a Yamaha sound bar with built in subwoofers that I always keep at minimum for respect of the neighbors and never had any issues. I just purchased a 75x900f and a ubpx700 uhd Blu-ray and now I’️m interested in purchasing the ht-st5000 to upgrade my current sound bar and to get the full Atmos effect , I was asking my self if this sounbar will still perform well without the subwoofer connected or this will be a waste of money ? Thanks in advance for the replies

Personally, the 5000 sounds amazing, even at 20 volume, the thing is, the sub really packs a punch, you could try to lower the dB to keep it at bay, if you plan to keep it, and maybe move to another place in the future, and don’️t like the hassle with cables, go for it.
What a coincidence there has been a 500$ price drop today here in Canada so this is my chance to try it out , I will make the most out off the 30 day return period to see if this is for me or not , thanks for the advice !
Burnwood47 likes this.
post #2383 of 2467 Old 10-25-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Currently have a HT-X9000F Soundbar mounted on a bracket underneath my Sony X900F in my small bonus room upstairs.
How much of an improvement will I see moving to the ST5000 (besides the dent in my wallet)? Primarily watching AppleTV (YoutubeTV and some 5.1/7.1/Atmos Movies on Netflix) and do a lot of Xbox One gaming. The downfall with the current soundbar is that it only has 1 HDMI jack, and I need to run my xbox one THROUGH the soundbar......

Thanks in advance.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #2384 of 2467 Old 10-25-2019, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Currently have a HT-X9000F Soundbar mounted on a bracket underneath my Sony X900F in my small bonus room upstairs.

How much of an improvement will I see moving to the ST5000 (besides the dent in my wallet)? Primarily watching AppleTV (YoutubeTV and some 5.1/7.1/Atmos Movies on Netflix) and do a lot of Xbox One gaming. The downfall with the current soundbar is that it only has 1 HDMI jack, and I need to run my xbox one THROUGH the soundbar......

Thanks in advance.

Hi!
I did this and the upgrade is great! Music sounds better, movies sound great, and the sub it’s really on point.
The addition of the Atmos speakers makes a little difference though (but it depends on your ceiling and preference un audio).

Personally I really liked the ST-5000 regarding sound.
Cheers!
post #2385 of 2467 Old 10-29-2019, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post

Thanks in advance.
Huge boost in power. Physical Atmos. Wi-Fi streaming. High res audio. 3 HDMI inputs. Definitely worth it if you want more range.
bodean likes this.

Spoiler!
post #2386 of 2467 Old 11-05-2019, 06:26 AM

Is there a way to use arc and the optical input? In the settings seems like you have to choose one or the other.
post #2387 of 2467 Old 11-11-2019, 01:30 PM

Liked: 0
I am experiencing an odd issue.

Purchased soundbar in 2018.

At times, the soundbar puts out a lot of static. So much so, that the entire sound field sounds garbled / muffled.

Resetting the soundbar by turning it off and on does nothing.

Usually that next day, the soundbar returns to normal and sounds find.

I've tried turning the TV off and on, as it's using ARC, no change. I've tried different devices (cable box, AppleTV, PS4) and the static remains.

Perhaps it's an overheating issue? It's the only thing I can think of as it seems to clear up the following day.

Has anyone else run into this?
post #2388 of 2467 Old 11-12-2019, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just pulled the trigger on this sound bar on greentoe.com and I hope its still worth the hype 2 years later?
post #2389 of 2467 Old 11-14-2019, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsamp View Post

At times, the soundbar puts out a lot of static. So much so, that the entire sound field sounds garbled / muffled.

I've tried turning the TV off and on, as it's using ARC, no change. I've tried different devices (cable box, AppleTV, PS4) and the static remains.

Perhaps it's an overheating issue? It's the only thing I can think of as it seems to clear up the following day.

Could be interference with WiFi, when it happens, try to power off the sub and see if there is any difference. If no static after that you may consider to change the sub connection frequency and channel or try to use secure connection.
Bigmizzoufan likes this.
post #2390 of 2467 Old 11-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Is this soundbar overkill when used only for TV shows on Netflix?
No need for Dolby Atmos, powerful explosions, network features etc.
I have projector and big surround for movies
post #2391 of 2467 Old 11-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Got the same issue, though mine is from 2017. Pretty annoying and it seems to create the static sound if the volume is too high and stays for a few hours after shutting down. In my case, above 25.
post #2392 of 2467 Old 11-19-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thats a little disturbing to hear. I just bought mine and hope I don't experience that issue.
TheDuke1980 likes this.
post #2393 of 2467 Old 11-30-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just picked up this soundbar, its ok so far. Not as good for surround as my Yamaha YSP-2500 anyway...

I have a problem that everytime I turn it off and back on the spekaer+hdmi fuction keeps getting turned on and I get muting flashing on the screen and if i turn muting off i get double sound until i go back in the settings and set it for speaker only again.

Anyone have this happen? I assume its some wierd CEC thing. Its connected to a sony x900e and nvidia shield.

65" Sony A9G | 49" Sony X900E | Sony HT-ST5000 SB | 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro | Xbox One X
post #2394 of 2467 Old 11-30-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Does anyone run their ST5000 with the sound effects OFF? Disabling the sound fields?

65" Sony A9G | 49" Sony X900E | Sony HT-ST5000 SB | 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro | Xbox One X
post #2395 of 2467 Old 12-05-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are their discreet IR codes available (Harmony) for the ST5000's HDMI inputs?
post #2396 of 2467 Old 12-06-2019, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

Purchased in 2019 and I'm also experiencing this issue. Also leaning towards an overheating issue. For me it affects only the center speakers of the soundbar. Watched Casino Royale last night at 35 (DTS-HD MA). And already during the movie the voices started to become garbled. Today it was back to normal again.

I'm not 100% sure but last time this happend to me I had watched Mad Max Fury Road (also a loud movie) which is also in DTS-HD MA.

Last edited by jaqb; 12-06-2019 at 03:26 AM.
post #2397 of 2467 Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeirnes View Post
I just put in Looper on Blu Ray. Within 20 minutes the sound is distorted. I the played a segment from an episode of Mindhunter that prior to starting Looper sounded just fine, and now I can here distortion.

This is the second ST5000 that this has happened with.

Aaron
Have you solved your issue ? Funnily enough Looper is also in DTS-HD MA.
post #2398 of 2467 Old 12-06-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
Are their discreet IR codes available (Harmony) for the ST5000's HDMI inputs?

Yup. Also discreet ir codes for the sound profiles. So you can program it for music or movies etc.
post #2399 of 2467 Old 12-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
this may have been answered in the thread, but i could not find it. I am coming from a sony ht nt5 with two sony srs zr5 speakers in the rear.....are the zr5 compatible;e as rear speakers for the st5000? If not i was thinking of just going with the samsung q90r instead.
post #2400 of 2467 Old 12-07-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
this may have been answered in the thread, but i could not find it. I am coming from a sony ht nt5 with two sony srs zr5 speakers in the rear.....are the zr5 compatible;e as rear speakers for the st5000? If not i was thinking of just going with the samsung q90r instead.

The rears don’t work with the st5000 (no rears work with it). Have been happy with the sony, but now that the Q90R is out it’s probably a better buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page