SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 470Likes

post #2401 of 2435 Old 12-09-2019, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Whats everyone's preferred Sound Field?

Or do you leave it OFF?

Do you rely on ClearAudio to choose?

65" Sony A9G | 49" Sony X900E | Sony HT-ST5000 SB | 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro | Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2435 Old 12-09-2019, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalsor View Post
Whats everyone's preferred Sound Field?

Or do you leave it OFF?

Do you rely on ClearAudio to choose?
I leave it on 3D for movies/TV watching. Swap between sports or 3D when watching football. I don't trust it to pick the right source on its own. Not sure how well that works

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
jbalsor likes this.
post #2403 of 2435 Old 12-09-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke1980 View Post
I leave it on 3D for movies/TV watching. Swap between sports or 3D when watching football. I don't trust it to pick the right source on its own. Not sure how well that works

Have you tried turning the sound field OFF, it actually sounds very good, less processing effect. I am still experimenting. I wish they had a button to turn it off instead of burying it in the menus.

65" Sony A9G | 49" Sony X900E | Sony HT-ST5000 SB | 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro | Xbox One X

Last edited by jbalsor; 12-09-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 2435 Old 12-09-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Have you tried turning the sound field OFF, it actually sounds very good, less processing effect. I am still experimenting. I wish they had a button to turn it off instead of burying it in the menus.
What do you mean by "off" like using the standard mode?

jbalsor likes this.
post #2405 of 2435 Old 12-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by "off" like using the standard mode?

"Standard" is still a sound field as far as i can tell.

In the Audio Settings you can turn "sound field" OFF. So I assume the bar just processes the signal as it is without applying any "effects". In my dedicated receiver days I never used any effects like "movie" "3D" "virtual surround" etc..

I assume the Sound Fields are for people that dont have the capability of sending this bar advanced codecs like atmos or DD etc... but those that do may want to turn this extra processing off?

post #2406 of 2435 Old 12-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
"Standard" is still a sound field as far as i can tell.

In the Audio Settings you can turn "sound field" OFF. So I assume the bar just processes the signal as it is without applying any "effects". In my dedicated receiver days I never used any effects like "movie" "3D" "virtual surround" etc..

I assume the Sound Fields are for people that dont have the capability of sending this bar advanced codecs like atmos or DD etc... but those that do may want to turn this extra processing off?
The 3D sound field is what you want for dolby atmos content I believe

49Merc likes this.
post #2407 of 2435 Old 12-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I dont think so , but I could be wrong.

post #2408 of 2435 Old 12-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

This mode, for me personally, sounds best for everything besides music.

Spoiler!
post #2409 of 2435 Old 12-10-2019, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqb View Post
Have you solved your issue ? Funnily enough Looper is also in DTS-HD MA.

Yes I did. And some may laugh at how I fixed it, but it IS fixed. I read somewhere online ( can't remember where ) that the problem could be the small speakers themselves vibrating and making the distortion sound. So.... I 'massaged' all of them. I just kind of lightly ran my finger around the mesh of each speaker. And VOILA, problem solved. And it's stayed solved. And I would swear that the problem always begins with watching one particular 4k Blu-Ray, The Dark Knight Rises. Which is in DTS-HD MA 5.1.

So... I don't watch that movie anymore - easy enough since it kinda sucks.

Hope this helps,
Aaron
post #2410 of 2435 Old 12-10-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I got a super hot deal in Switzerland and I booked this soundbar (ST5000) on BF from 599 CHF (the equivalent of 550 EUR). I think it is a very interesting price and I have a few days more until I make the payment but I am not sure because there are a few questions in my mind.

1. To be honest, I was expecting to get a good deal for ZF9 (Z9F) around 350 - 400 EUR. After a short while, I could invest in the rear speakers. It is nice having an opportunity to buy the top model of Sony soundbars with a close price for sure but I need to sacrifice the rear speakers.
2. It doesn't support rear speakers and nobody not expecting anymore that Sony will release an update to support rear speakers.
3. ST5000 is released in 2017 and it is older than 2 years already. Considering Dolby Atmos available models of Sony, it is the oldest one. So, maybe the new model should be arriving soon.
4. I am not sure I need a soundbar with that price tag. I have a 2yo son sleeping in the next room and I can't use it with high volume. I can count myself a tech geek and I can't resist to not buy especially if there a hot deal on the table.

Considering these questions and the price and my situation, what would you recommend? If you were in my shoes, would you buy it?

A question about the soundbar: I am playing PS4 Pro with Razer Kraken 7.1 Gaming Headset in late hours. I connect it to PS4 via USB port and have another cable connected to optical digital audio at the same time to have 7.1 feature.

So, If I connect my headset to the soundbar via USB port, do you think that I can still use the microphone of the headset in the game? I guess it is impossible but as there is an HDMI arc connection, it would be awesome if there is a chance to do it.

Thank you for your feedback and answer the question about microphone.
post #2411 of 2435 Old 12-10-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egolgeli View Post
Hi everyone,

I got a super hot deal in Switzerland and I booked this soundbar (ST5000) on BF from 599 CHF (the equivalent of 550 EUR). I think it is a very interesting price and I have a few days more until I make the payment but I am not sure because there are a few questions in my mind.

1. To be honest, I was expecting to get a good deal for ZF9 (Z9F) around 350 - 400 EUR. After a short while, I could invest in the rear speakers. It is nice having an opportunity to buy the top model of Sony soundbars with a close price for sure but I need to sacrifice the rear speakers.

2. It doesn't support rear speakers and nobody not expecting anymore that Sony will release an update to support rear speakers.

3. ST5000 is released in 2017 and it is older than 2 years already. Considering Dolby Atmos available models of Sony, it is the oldest one. So, maybe the new model should be arriving soon.

4. I am not sure I need a soundbar with that price tag. I have a 2yo son sleeping in the next room and I can't use it with high volume. I can count myself a tech geek and I can't resist to not buy especially if there a hot deal on the table.

Considering these questions and the price and my situation, what would you recommend? If you were in my shoes, would you buy it?

A question about the soundbar: I am playing PS4 Pro with Razer Kraken 7.1 Gaming Headset in late hours. I connect it to PS4 via USB port and have another cable connected to optical digital audio at the same time to have 7.1 feature.

So, If I connect my headset to the soundbar via USB port, do you think that I can still use the microphone of the headset in the game? I guess it is impossible but as there is an HDMI arc connection, it would be awesome if there is a chance to do it.

Probably way overkill if you can't turn it up loud. I'd save the money and get something cheaper like the Yamaha YAS-207. I have that in my bedroom and it's a good soundbar for the price. Not in the same league as the Sony but not bad.

egolgeli likes this.
post #2412 of 2435 Old 12-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
This mode, for me personally, sounds best for everything besides music.
I assume the music setting is what you like for music? It's odd to me it only uses the two outside speakers on the bar in music mode. I keep it on 3D even for music but may try the music mode next time.

post #2413 of 2435 Old 12-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I assume the music setting is what you like for music? It's odd to me it only uses the two outside speakers on the bar in music mode. I keep it on 3D even for music but may try the music mode next time.

The farther the left and right speakers are from each other (within reason) the better the stereo image. That’s why you don’t want the speakers in the middle for music.
post #2414 of 2435 Old 12-14-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Yes because typically music is engineered in stereo mode. Which is the use of just two speakers. So, Music mode on this sound bar will default to just two speakers. Multiple speakers being used to listen to a song can be done but it just sounds muddied.

Spoiler!
post #2415 of 2435 Old 12-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egolgeli View Post
I am playing PS4 Pro with Razer Kraken 7.1 Gaming Headset in late hours. I connect it to PS4 via USB port and have another cable connected to optical digital audio at the same time to have 7.1 feature.

So, I can answer my question. No, it doesn't work. The USB port is only for playing media, not for audio transmission. So I keep my USB plugged in ps4 pro while gaming in the night.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #2416 of 2435 Old 12-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Hello
Apologies if this is the wrong thread to post this in...

I am looking to purchase a Sony X900F 75". I want a soundbar to go with it and I am debating between the HTST5000 and the Samsung HWQ80R.

Newbie question but since I am going Sony TV should I stick with the HTST5000 or either would integrate without issue.

Thanks!
post #2417 of 2435 Old 12-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocksolid View Post
Hello
Apologies if this is the wrong thread to post this in...

I am looking to purchase a Sony X900F 75". I want a soundbar to go with it and I am debating between the HTST5000 and the Samsung HWQ80R.

Newbie question but since I am going Sony TV should I stick with the HTST5000 or either would integrate without issue.

Thanks!
This is the same decision I'm trying to make. I have an LG Oled 55C7 and have been reading reviews on both of these as well as some others. The Sony is an older (almost 3 years I think) model but has been updated along the way...has EARC and Dolby Vision. It also has 3 inputs and you're able to tune it to your environment. Also included is a 3.5 analog input for legacy devices.
The Samsung is a newer model, has side firing speakers that the Sony lacks and is several hundred dollars cheaper depending on sales at any given time. However, it doesn't have EARC or Dolby Vision, and people say it's difficult to adjust to different room sizes. Also only has 2 HDMI inputs.
There have been reports of some problems with both of these bars which in some cases are actual hardware or software issues and others where some users didn't perhaps set them up correctly.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but hopefully it points out a few things to consider and that some users will chime in with their opinions.
post #2418 of 2435 Old 12-20-2019, 03:34 PM

Sounds very similar.
I also wonder if eARC in my soundbar is even relevant or used given that my tv X900F is only ARC capable.
post #2419 of 2435 Old 12-21-2019, 08:35 PM

Ok I've read through most of this thread am about ready to try this one but wanted to ask about my specific room size and whether it's the best choice.
I sit about 8.5 feet from where the bar would be. Ceiling is 8 feet, side walls about 10 feet to each side. room is open concept, so it's basically open behind the sitting area to the kitchen/dining area.
Existing equipment is an LG OLED 55C7, Oppo 203 and HD Cable Box.
With the room size and distance to the bar I know I won't get a surround experience. I can't use rears since there's no way to plug them in. I listen to music (mostly classic rock), movies, from disc on the Oppo or Netflix via my App on the LG, or cable news and tv. Considering APTV 4K for Netflix, etc instead of the onboard app.
Thoughts and advice are appreciated.
post #2420 of 2435 Old 12-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatkinson View Post
Ok I've read through most of this thread am about ready to try this one but wanted to ask about my specific room size and whether it's the best choice.
I sit about 8.5 feet from where the bar would be. Ceiling is 8 feet, side walls about 10 feet to each side. room is open concept, so it's basically open behind the sitting area to the kitchen/dining area.
Existing equipment is an LG OLED 55C7, Oppo 203 and HD Cable Box.
With the room size and distance to the bar I know I won't get a surround experience. I can't use rears since there's no way to plug them in. I listen to music (mostly classic rock), movies, from disc on the Oppo or Netflix via my App on the LG, or cable news and tv. Considering APTV 4K for Netflix, etc instead of the onboard app.
Thoughts and advice are appreciated.
I have an open floor plan and can't say the surround effects work much with the Sony ST5000. It's a good soundbar don't get me wrong. But unless your room is perfect - and an open floor plan is not perfect lol, you aren't going to get great surround effects, if any. I just ordered an Ambeo soundbar. Expensive as hell, but hoping with it's ability to to calibrate for your room it may improve the surround effects.
post #2421 of 2435 Old 12-23-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I have an open floor plan and can't say the surround effects work much with the Sony ST5000. It's a good soundbar don't get me wrong. But unless your room is perfect - and an open floor plan is not perfect lol, you aren't going to get great surround effects, if any. I just ordered an Ambeo soundbar. Expensive as hell, but hoping with it's ability to to calibrate for your room it may improve the surround effects.
I realize it wouldn't be a surround effect, but was hoping that with the measurements I can put into the 5000's setup for height and distance that I would have a reasonable sense of immersion. Otherwise, it may not be a the best choice.
post #2422 of 2435 Old 01-02-2020, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Mine just recently started crackling, first time in my life I've needed Best Buy Extended warranty. Be interesting to see how they handle it.
TheDuke1980 likes this.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
post #2423 of 2435 Old 01-04-2020, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a decorative rock wall and I bought one of those hanging brackets that screws into the back of the TV to hold the sound bar but its too heavy and bending the metal backing bracket. Do they make a good universal wall mount that I can screw into the studs and then attach the bar holes to the bracket?
post #2424 of 2435 Old 01-04-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
Mine just recently started crackling, first time in my life I've needed Best Buy Extended warranty. Be interesting to see how they handle it.
Mine has done that randomly but not all the time. I can't figure out what's making it do it.

post #2425 of 2435 Old 01-09-2020, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello
I have questions tto you which version of Chromecast built-in is installed on yours devices? I got the latest firmware instaled and chromecast built-in version is 1.21.76349. Its too old.
And i have problem with TIDAL HiFi application i can not cast music form newest Tidal app for android to my HT-ST5000 because since that TIDAL support cast verion 1.36.159268 or higher. confirmed by TIDAL SUPPORT)
post #2426 of 2435 Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
No new version of this now 4 model year old soundbar...?

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #2427 of 2435 Old 01-11-2020, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
It's that good...
But seriously, I am surprised how quiet Sony is with soundbars and wireless systems. Every other company is releasing new soundbars.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GM1903 met Tapatalk
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #2428 of 2435 Old 01-11-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone21 View Post
It's that good...
But seriously, I am surprised how quiet Sony is with soundbars and wireless systems. Every other company is releasing new soundbars.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GM1903 met Tapatalk

No... it has needed the addition of rear surrounds for years now.

I can't believe they haven't updated this bar with rear surrounds.

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #2429 of 2435 Old 01-15-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
The sound bar is actually only just over two and a half years old. But yeah, a refresh is due in my personal opinion.

Spoiler!
post #2430 of 2435 Old 01-24-2020, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Weird question, did anyone here run the soundbar without the sub? Was the sound still acceptable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page