SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 481Likes

post #2431 of 2512 Old 01-24-2020, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by desu View Post
Weird question, did anyone here run the soundbar without the sub? Was the sound still acceptable?

Sounds really thin without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2512 Old 01-24-2020, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
Sounds really thin without it.
Thanks for the reply.
49Merc likes this.
post #2433 of 2512 Old 01-24-2020, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by desu View Post
Weird question, did anyone here run the soundbar without the sub? Was the sound still acceptable?
Sounds very hollow without it. At the very least, I would just turn the subwoofer volume down a bit.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 2512 Old 01-24-2020, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Still loving our 5000

Noob question yet how do I check for 5000 software updates?

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
post #2435 of 2512 Old 01-25-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Noob question yet how do I check for 5000 software updates?
If you are using the HDMI set up, you can press the Home button on the sound bar remote and go to settings. In Settings, there is a tab usually near the bottom that says you can check for system software updates.
49Merc likes this.

Spoiler!
post #2436 of 2512 Old 02-07-2020, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
If you are using the HDMI set up, you can press the Home button on the sound bar remote and go to settings. In Settings, there is a tab usually near the bottom that says you can check for system software updates.
On that screen, my bar shows that it can't connect to the registration server, but it shows no new updates..
post #2437 of 2512 Old 02-07-2020, 09:47 PM

I'm hoping I didn't screw up. I bought this *used* on *craigslist* just last week. I know, sounds bad already! It was a deal - $500 and the person just seemed like an alright dude

So it works, and it is the real deal - I'm almost positive it's not a counterfeit. There are a couple anomalies happening and I'm trying to 'process of elimination' the hell out of them to figure out what is up.

Background, because its important: I have a Sony A9F Master Series OLED (actually 2 of them) and I bought this specifically because of eARC and because of Atmos.

I intend to have all my devices connected to the tv (with the hdmi cables that are ran through the wall to the tv) and this right under the tv. I've connected the eARC port to my eARC port from the tv to the soundbar. The other three hdmi cables coming through the wall are connected to devices that I don't care as much about full hdmi 2.0 (or whatever).. But I think I need the eARC cable to be 2.0 for it to work right. I do have the sony ubp-x800 using one of the cables coming through the wall and it is working with enhanced hdmi setting with one of the three cables, so I think that is ok.

Big issue is this: the tv is randomly having the sound not work on the bar once in a while. It may be plex playing a movie (no hdmi external source here, just a local android app streaming a movie with passthrough audio on) and sometimes it may be the chromecast receiver (also built in). I've seen it happen with netflix too. When it happens, because these devices work well together, I just turn off the soundbar and the tv says "switching to internal speakers" and the sound plays without changing any settings. I think maybe my hdmi cable is not the right rated cable (I wish they said the version on the damn cable), I have a setting that is messing up when certain audio tracks are selected, OR I bought a damn POS off of Craigslist that is out of warranty. In that third scenario, I really hope that Sony will let me send it in for repairs.

Alternately, if anyone has this setup - an A9f with this soundbar, and can talk about proper settings, I'd appreciate it.

I've also noted that a couple of the devices on the other end of those hdmi cables can't seem to operate in enhanced hdmi mode and actually have CEC work to automatically switch the input, etc. I think that may be the cables - they were cheapo cable matter flat HDMI cables from Amazon from a couple years ago. I can completely see these long ass cheap cables not actually supporting enhanced HDMI.

But the issues with play back from sources that are from apps on the TV (like netflix or Plex) cause me to pause and wonder.

Maybe there is a setting on the bar (like upsampling or whatever) that is killing it.

Another note is that the time it happened tonight (wife watching episode two of dr. who's latest season on Plex from the server in my office) was that I could hear some strange artifacting from the speakers as though it was playing like only brief fractions of a second of the audio. I tried changing the audio modes on the tv (action menu, change from dolby to normal) and it had no effect. Then I just turned off the sound bar and the tv started playing the audio just fine.

One other concern is that some of the speakers (the one all the way to the right) you can almost hear some tinniness or crackling on some content when up loud. I think it may just be the content, and its not noticeable by anyone else in my house except me. Probably because I'm the only person in my house with Stax earspeaker at home, Beyerdynamic T1's at work, the list goes on.

If I need to send this thing in, I wonder if Sony has an option to repair speakers that may have crackling issues. All the content about this I've googled mentioned wireless sub issues, which I have none.

Anyways, enough out of me, or I'll never stop.
post #2438 of 2512 Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys I’m really hoping someone can help me out I’m kind of going crazy. I’ve had this sound at for a few months and just noticed something the other day. It appears that if I have it on for a long time the audio quality degrades. I’ve noticed that if I’m using all day for example, but the evening all the sudden the audio almost sounds muffled or staticky. It’s really hard to explain and it’s mostly low dialogue that you notice it. Happens with both my Apple TV 4K and Sony PS4 Pro. I actually just updated all my HDMI cords to see if that did anything and it still does it. Also restored it back to factory settings and still the same. Anyone have any idea wtf is going on??
post #2439 of 2512 Old 03-06-2020, 06:17 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFugazzi View Post
Hey guys I’m really hoping someone can help me out I’m kind of going crazy. I’ve had this sound at for a few months and just noticed something the other day. It appears that if I have it on for a long time the audio quality degrades. I’ve noticed that if I’m using all day for example, but the evening all the sudden the audio almost sounds muffled or staticky. It’s really hard to explain and it’s mostly low dialogue that you notice it. Happens with both my Apple TV 4K and Sony PS4 Pro. I actually just updated all my HDMI cords to see if that did anything and it still does it. Also restored it back to factory settings and still the same. Anyone have any idea wtf is going on??

I've had this too and thought I had a blown speaker - turned out it was the wifi to the subwoofer connection was causing it. I changed to a different frequency and it cleared it up.
post #2440 of 2512 Old 03-07-2020, 06:26 PM

Sony HTST5000 disable sound field for better ATMOS???

Hi All,

First post on here.

Recently I was fortunate enough to purchase a brand new "open box" Sony HTST5000 Atmos Soundbar for only $400. Although it was open box...none of the components were even unpacked from their interior packaging - so it was literally just the box that was opened. Im extremely happy with the sound quality of this bar- it is definitely the highest end soundbar Ive ever heard. I would never have purchased for full price or even $900/$1k just due to budget but for $400 I know I was extremely fortunate.

Now all that aside... like many on the forums with this model- I was not really experiencing a noticeable ATMOS effect. Still extremely happy watching movies and experiencing the top end audio that goes with it, but wouldn't mind getting some more out of the ATMOS either. So, I would like to get some feedback to maybe improve the ATMOS effects.

First off - has anyone tried turning the Sound Field setting to off then watching an ATMOS movie? I recently tried that and I feel that I am getting better more noticeable effect of ATMOS with a more robust sound from all channels. I have Apple 4k tv connected to my ethernet, not wifi, and it is going to my soundbar HDMI 1 port using a 2.1 48gb cable w/ ethernet. Soundbar eARC to my Sony xbr85x850g eARC via same HDMI 2.1 48gb w/ ethernet cable (Oh and the tv was purchased open box along with the bar for $1200 - and again, not even removed from packaging.TV is a beast !!!). So I do see ATMOS when checking display on the bar - Dolby Atmos/LPCM 48khz/DOLBY is what displays to be exact. Wanted to know if anyone else has tried this and if so what your thoughts are.

The other thing was regarding placement of the subwoofer - Does anyone have any recommendations as to where would be best - is it along sided the soundbar or near where you are seated or in the middle somewhere?

Lastly, has anyone had any success with raising the soundbar to decrease distance to the ceiling in hopes of getting better up firing speaker results. Mine is currently 6.5' from ceiling and was thinking of just elevating it 6 - 8inches thinking that would make it easier for the up speakers to reach and reflect off the ceiling. I am going to try but curious if anyone else has already done so. TV is hung on the wall and bar is on stand btw.

If there are any other recommended settings or tips that any fellow owners may have, please share!
post #2441 of 2512 Old 03-10-2020, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sound Bar Firmware Upgrade to version M40.R.0445 for HT-ST5000

Benefits and improvements from the latest update

• Improved connectivity with wireless subwoofer

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...loads/00016644
TheSonyExperience likes this.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #2442 of 2512 Old 03-11-2020, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone experience any popping noises from the main unit most probably caused by thermal expansion? For me it takes usually from 1h-2h before this stops, when the unit has "heated up" properly on moderate to loud volume levels. It's quite annoying sometimes..

I guess there's nothing to do about this, and all manufactures probably see these kind of issues as normal behavior which it is to a certain degree.. Just makes you think that if I just got the next unit after this one from the retailer, maybe it didn't exhibit this issue..

e: Actually it can take much longer time depending on the volume levels. So for instance if I have the volume at 15 for the first hour or two, and then crank up the volume to 25-30, these sounds may appear still within the next 1h-2h or so..

Last edited by LAPAVS; 03-11-2020 at 11:03 AM.
post #2443 of 2512 Old 03-12-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Installed new firmware. Stability with the sub since installing this new firmware has been rock solid since. I have always had trouble with this sound bar system. Reason being it has never played nice with tri band routers. It never played nice with my Linksys EA9500 v1.1 router. And even with my newest router Linksys Velop MX5300 WiFi 6 router. Until now. Irritated Sony did not fix this years ago. But, glad they finally did address the issue.
post #2444 of 2512 Old 03-12-2020, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
Installed new firmware. Stability with the sub since installing this new firmware has been rock solid since. I have always had trouble with this sound bar system. Reason being it has never played nice with tri band routers. It never played nice with my Linksys EA9500 v1.1 router. And even with my newest router Linksys Velop MX5300 WiFi 6 router. Until now. Irritated Sony did not fix this years ago. But, glad they finally did address the issue.
@KoRn - This is really good to hear! Just to be clear, has the new firmware completely fixed the popping issues with your mesh WiFi router? I had to replace my Orbi because of this issue and hope I can use it again 🤞

Would love to hear more on this specific issue from other users too.
post #2445 of 2512 Old 03-13-2020, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertsomethingfunny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
@KoRn - This is really good to hear! Just to be clear, has the new firmware completely fixed the popping issues with your mesh WiFi router? I had to replace my Orbi because of this issue and hope I can use it again 🤞

Would love to hear more on this specific issue from other users too.
Funny you mention that and come to think about it. The minor pops every so often have gone away as well. At least in my case.
post #2446 of 2512 Old 03-13-2020, 11:02 PM

Smooth sailing on my end since the update.

Spoiler!
post #2447 of 2512 Old 03-14-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Smooth sailing on my end since the update.
@TheSonyExperience - Could you please elaborate on that? Specifically, were you having issues with a mesh Wi-Fi system before the update?
post #2448 of 2512 Old 03-17-2020, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I've had my soundbar for over 2 years and it's working better than ever with the exception of one recurring issue--every few weeks (sometimes every few days) when I turn it on I get a "perform easy setup?" notification and I have to go through the initial setup all over again, which includes reconnecting to wifi. I have no idea why my unit keeps resetting itself like this. Anyone else have this issue?
post #2449 of 2512 Old 03-17-2020, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I too have had occasional connection issue with the subwoofer. I just did the firmware upgrade and hope this would fix it.

I use a nVidia Shield Pro 2019 for online streaming. I am watching a Dolby Atmos 4K demo video and when I click Display on the remote, I see “LPCM 480 KHz / Dolby Surround” on the front panel display of the soundbar. Is this right? Should I see “Dolby Atmos”?

My configuration:
Shield connected to TV HDMI
Cable-TV connected to TV HDMI
TV connected to the soundbar via HDMI-3
Soundbar eARC enabled

Last edited by mis3; 03-17-2020 at 06:46 PM.
post #2450 of 2512 Old 03-17-2020, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a little update since installing the new update a few days ago. Almost has been a week now. It has not dropped or cut out once since then. Looks like Sony fixed it.
post #2451 of 2512 Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post
I too have had occasional connection issue with the subwoofer. I just did the firmware upgrade and hope this would fix it.

I use a nVidia Shield Pro 2019 for online streaming. I am watching a Dolby Atmos 4K demo video and when I click Display on the remote, I see “LPCM 480 KHz / Dolby Surround” on the front panel display of the soundbar. Is this right? Should I see “Dolby Atmos”?

My configuration:
Shield connected to TV HDMI
Cable-TV connected to TV HDMI
Soundbar eARC enabled
You should see "Dolby Atmos" if it is an Atmos video while the video is playing. However, if you pause the video and click on display it will revert back to "LPCM 480 KHz/Dolby Surround". This threw me off for a long time as well!
post #2452 of 2512 Old 03-20-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
You should see "Dolby Atmos" if it is an Atmos video while the video is playing. However, if you pause the video and click on display it will revert back to "LPCM 480 KHz/Dolby Surround". This threw me off for a long time as well!
I did not see “Dolby Atmos” even when the video was playing.
The demo clips of YouTube are true Dolby Atmos, right?
I stream from the nVidia Shield Pro and the HDMI cable is the one which came with the Sony soundbar.

Last edited by mis3; 03-20-2020 at 12:30 PM.
post #2453 of 2512 Old 03-21-2020, 06:36 AM

Clips on youtube are only stereo.
TheSonyExperience likes this.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #2454 of 2512 Old 03-22-2020, 05:14 AM
ivu

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Damn, when i saw there is an update i was secretly hoping it would be about adding rear speakers support ^^
Still, good that they addressed the sub connectivity issues. I wasn't much affected about them but many have.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #2455 of 2512 Old 03-22-2020, 06:01 PM

Does anyone else have this issue where I'll wake the Apple TV, thus turning on the TV and sound bar. The TV opens on the Apple TV homepage, only to then switch to the sound bar's home page after about 10~15 seconds?

Quite annoying as I'd have to then press the Apple TV button on the remote to switch it back to the Apple TV again.
post #2456 of 2512 Old 03-23-2020, 11:52 AM

Yes, I have the same lag problem with the Apple TV. Also, when I shut down the soundbar says "Shutting Down" for a very long time before turning off.

Question for the group, is there a setting to turn on the display feature? I cannot get mine to display Atmos, or bitrate data at all. It will only show volume and input selected.
post #2457 of 2512 Old 03-23-2020, 03:13 PM

Do you have the latest firmware installed? Because it worked like that on the early ones.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #2458 of 2512 Old 03-24-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
@TheSonyExperience - Could you please elaborate on that? Specifically, were you having issues with a mesh Wi-Fi system before the update?
I don't use a mesh Wi-Fi system at home. But I did have subwoofer drop outs often. I still get them after the update but they are a lot less often.

Spoiler!
post #2459 of 2512 Old 03-24-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
Do you have the latest firmware installed? Because it worked like that on the early ones.
Yep! I have the latest firmware installed on the sound bar, tv, and apple tv...
post #2460 of 2512 Old 03-26-2020, 08:59 AM

I performed the firmware upgrade last week and the subwoofer connection has been stable so far (via Secure Link).

I was checking the sound bar settings yesterday and I noticed that the HDMI Signal Format screen is now blank (System Settings -> HDMI Settings -> HDMI Signal Formal). I used to select the signal format here to HDMl and HDMI Enhanced for each HDMI connection. Now I see only only the title HDMI Signal Format on top and nothing else (it used to list all the HDMI ports). Do you guys experience this?

Other than this, all seems OK. The sound from TV was getting through to the sound bar properly.

My configuration:
Sony X950G
Sony St5000
Shield connected to TV HDM2
Cable-TV connected to TV HDMI4
Soundbar eARC enabled

Last edited by mis3; 03-26-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page