SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 481Likes

post #2491 of 2506 Old 05-13-2020, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the chromecast functionality working for other people? It disappeared from my casting targets a couple months ago, looking at the firmware version I seem to have to latest, but it won't appear as a target regardless of wifi/soudbar restarts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2506 Old 05-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Hi! I am looking to pick this soundbar (either this or the Q90r soundbar). I am wondering what are real user impressions of the soundbar, how well does this work with a Sony 4k TV set, whether people enjoy it or not. I'm aware that rear speakers are not available with this set. Just hopefully will get people's feedback. Thank you in advance!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #2493 of 2506 Old 05-16-2020, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My opinion is that this is one of the best soundbars available. IF I count out few issues I've been having lately, sound is gorgeous, sub is powerful and despite living in a house (no neighbours) I have never ever volumed it more than 50%. It so strong. Interesting though, no successor of this model yet...
Damar1979 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2494 of 2506 Old 05-16-2020, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozi_SLO View Post
My opinion is that this is one of the best soundbars available. IF I count out few issues I've been having lately, sound is gorgeous, sub is powerful and despite living in a house (no neighbours) I have never ever volumed it more than 50%. It so strong. Interesting though, no successor of this model yet...
Thank you so much! I will admit at first I was a bit leery of the fact that there were no rear speakers for surround sound, but the fact that this soundbar hasn't had a successor yet after a couple of years speaks for itself..... especially with eARC capabilities before it was even a thing to look out for and eventually need. And great to know that the sound is on point! Looking forward to picking this up soon.

post #2495 of 2506 Old 05-16-2020, 06:34 AM

I had 5.1 surround years ago when soundbars weren't even close to what offer today. But when ATMOS kicks in and sound gets "somehow" filled all around you. I must addmit that I don't miss anything at all. This soundbar will get your room filled with the sound - no worries there!
Damar1979 likes this.
post #2496 of 2506 Old 05-16-2020, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had 5.1 surround years ago when soundbars weren't even close to what offer today. But when ATMOS kicks in and sound gets "somehow" filled all around you. I must addmit that I don't miss anything at all. This soundbar will get your room filled with the sound - no worries there!
Very true. It's definitely has bass and LFE covered. Haven't really tried it with average listening volume.... but it definitely kicks in with Atmos/DTS:X. A very full sound. Liking it so far.

kenk64 likes this.
post #2497 of 2506 Old 05-19-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Having trouble with the subwoofer randomly turning off lately. Any ideas? It’s one thing to drop/cut out but turning off has me a bit worried. I did buy the Best Buy extended warranty at the time of purchase over a year ago.
post #2498 of 2506 Old 05-19-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2689 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Is Sony ever going to get a new flagship soundbar with rear surrounds?

This bar has now been out for, what, 4 years?

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #2499 of 2506 Old 05-22-2020, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Who knows?... in the meantime, it definitely serves its purpose

post #2500 of 2506 Old 05-22-2020, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
Having trouble with the subwoofer randomly turning off lately. Any ideas? It’s one thing to drop/cut out but turning off has me a bit worried. I did buy the Best Buy extended warranty at the time of purchase over a year ago.
Im having this same issue!
post #2501 of 2506 Old 05-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Do you notice that while streaming with Netflix, the volume is significantly lower?

My streaming device is a 2019 Shield Pro. With Prime, YouTube and CraveTV, I set the volume to maybe 20. With Netflix, I have to set the volume to 35.
post #2502 of 2506 Old 05-27-2020, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
This week is a pain. First, something started to muffle with the sound (explained under KD61A1 owner's thread), few days later (yesterday), after finally called the Sony rep. - who recommended to factory reset all devices, I can't get the soundbar to work properly again. A1 can't detect it from the Sound menu however if I play something from ATV4k, soundbar is working (with the lip-sync issue).

There's something else I did notice though; so far, the device menu (input devices) did show correct device identifications (e.g. AppleTV, Playstation, etc.). Now, it just shows "playback_1", "playback_2", "playback_3"...
I tried everything possible and even unpossible combinations, checked cables, replaced cables, no luck. I have a feeling that more I dig, the worst is comming out. I have all units under factory warranty.

I am waiting for a call back from Sony rep. to see what's their recommendation.
You can try this. Unplug the HDMI cable from HDMI Out on your soundbar, assume this connects to your TV. The next thing you need to do is to restart your TV, however, before you restart or during the restart, please make sure your soundbar is turned on. After the restart and when your TV is back to operation, connect the HDMI cable back to your HDMI Out on your soundbar. Wait for the detection to happen, and check whether you can see the devices now instead of playback_*.

I am current using the above workaround, on my X8500F which seems to have problem with this HT-ST5000. Both are in latest OS and firmware. The problem is reproducible. It is about the detection and identification between the TV and the soundbar. From observation, as long as the soundbar is on prior you turn on the TV, the problem is unlikely to occur. However, if the soundbar is off when you turn on the TV, or the TV is turned on first and then it turns on the soundbar, the problem will happen. Once it happens, unfortunately, you have to carry out the above workaround.

I do not have such problem initially as I recall and I do not think Sony will fix it. Perhaps someone in this forum can share further insight.
ozi_SLO likes this.
post #2503 of 2506 Old 05-27-2020, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My review..

I've owned this device since January.

My unit seems to exhibit very aggressive heat expansion resulting in very annoying cracking and popping noises from the main unit. And this is definitely a mechanical noise, so it's not any electronic interference or nothing of that sort. This usually happens approx 1 hour after the soundbar is set to on and when there's enough volume. These annoying "sound effects" can then be heard for the next hour to three hours depending on your volume level and what you're playing. It is very distracting, and has become more annoying as time has gone by. Imagine for example a quiet scene in a movie and then suddenly the soundbar pops! Unfortunately, I didn't react early enough to this problem and couldn't send the device back since the return period was over.

So I then contacted Sony support and explained the situation. They asked me to send the device for repair, which I then did. My concern was though that they probably won't see (or hear) any issues, since it takes time and specific volume levels before any issues arise. Even though I tried to explain this to them. Lo and behold, the device was sent back to me - "no problems detected".

I then contacted Sony support again and further explained the situation. They then asked me to set the device to factory reset, try different cables etc... which I did but I knew it didn't matter much since the issue is definitely mechanical and is caused by the heat. They also asked me to record a video of the problem and I did that too, I sent them ~3minute video which clearly underlines the issues I was having (though my camera phone sound quality did't really make "justice" for the popping sounds). After this they asked me to send the report from the repair shop and the receipt of the purchase. At this point I was relieved and thought that they are willing to exchange the soundbar for a new one.

I guess it was wishful thinking. Sony contacted me again and said that their "experts" have been in contact with the repair shop and they have come to a conclusion that this is not a defective device and it's functioning within their "technical boundaries" or whatever. So I'm left with with a device that makes popcorn popping noises every time I'm using it!

Device 1/5 (the sound quality is actually good)
Sony 0/5
My wallet -1000 euros (I live in Europe)

PS5 will probably be the last Sony product I will buy ever again.

-L
post #2504 of 2506 Old 05-27-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckl1998 View Post
You can try this. Unplug the HDMI cable from HDMI Out on your soundbar, assume this connects to your TV. The next thing you need to do is to restart your TV, however, before you restart or during the restart, please make sure your soundbar is turned on. After the restart and when your TV is back to operation, connect the HDMI cable back to your HDMI Out on your soundbar. Wait for the detection to happen, and check whether you can see the devices now instead of playback_*.

I am current using the above workaround, on my X8500F which seems to have problem with this HT-ST5000. Both are in latest OS and firmware. The problem is reproducible. It is about the detection and identification between the TV and the soundbar. From observation, as long as the soundbar is on prior you turn on the TV, the problem is unlikely to occur. However, if the soundbar is off when you turn on the TV, or the TV is turned on first and then it turns on the soundbar, the problem will happen. Once it happens, unfortunately, you have to carry out the above workaround.

I do not have such problem initially as I recall and I do not think Sony will fix it. Perhaps someone in this forum can share further insight.
Now... this is EXACTLY the same workaround "solution" i also found myself!

Few days back I took both the TV and soundbar to the service. I did this because when they tested it, they tested with some old Sony TV and everything worked perfect. So I grabbed all my gear and took it there. but everything worked. We assumed this is because "... sometimes you have to turn everything off like plugged it out from the socket for some time - like 30 minutes or more." Okay, I did power-cycle myself but never though that devices needed such reset. But it worked. I got back home, plugged everything back and it worked AGAIN. I though to myself, this is strange but it seemed that it did the trick.

Next day, same thing happened again. So I started back and forth with various on/off scenarios and what it works (most of the time at least), is this:
. both units off
. first turn on the TV so that it gets HDMI2 correctly identified (HDMI2 is my STB and since having it connected this way, all the issues escalated)
. after I get proper sound w/o sync issues to the HDMI2, I turn on the soundbar
. instantly devices gets properly identified; I have all three of the soundbar's outputs connected (ATV, Bluray and PS4P), even if all three devices are in stand-by
. after few second some flickering starts to develop, identification gets lost (like there are not devices connected to soundbar) but HDMI2 gets properly identified as a soundbar's through-put
. if all is well, sound gets stable and devices reapper (or not) after a minute or so or if I turn devices from stand-by
. occasionaly, device's ID gets lost again (like playback_x) but connection is still there and stable

Now, for your opinion guys: where do you think the issue originates? In the TV or soundbar? I have both devices under warranty and I'd like to claim it while I still can. If this is even applicable..

Thank for sharing!
Cheers.
post #2505 of 2506 Old Today, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckl1998 View Post

Forgot to mention in my previous post. 2 more observations when this playback_* thing happens. The volume bar on TV will not turn up when increasing or decreasing the volume of soundbar. When in 'TV' input mode, e.g. watching YouTube from the TV YouTube application, there is no sound output from the soundbar.
post #2506 of 2506 Old Today, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So this is now bricking my wi-fi connectivity. If I have this on with my Xbox 1X, I’m getting d/l speeds less than 10 Mbps. I switch off the soundbar, and lo and behold I’m back over 70 Mbps download. This is the same whether I’m connected wireless or wired to the network on the bar. This is with the Linksys Velop system. Only started having this problem in the last week - any one else had this? If you can think of a solution I’d love to hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page