SONY 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000 - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 448Likes

post #241 of 2365 Old 05-29-2017, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourt99 View Post
Yeah. Was commenting as well. Ha. He said DTS was coming in the early winter months. And stated that it will DEFINITELY have DTS:X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read your convo with him and he stated that no other soundbar decodes both Dolby and DTS? I believe the Pioneer bar decodes both. Unless he means both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 2365 Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I'm familiar with having either the player or the AVR do the decoding. Atmos, needs bitstream. So, I assume you could leave your player sending bitstream to the bar, and if it's a DTS codec the bar will covert it to LCPM so it can be played. Will have to listen carefully to confirm though.

Wait. My comment didn't make sense. Sorry. Half-asleep. I'm assuming one would have to constantly change outputs on the player. One can't send a DTS bitstream to the player. Only way the bar could play LPCM from there would be to covert it. Ha. But it can't because it doesn't have the DTS codecs. So it would need to receive LCPM from the player. Thus, we will have to change outputs like I originally thought. I'll have to listen to what he says again. Basically, a DTS soundtrack = making player send PCM to Bar. Dolby Soundtrack = send it Bitstream for Atmos.

Sorry for the confusion. Got caught up in something shiny.

aaronwt likes this.
post #243 of 2365 Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
The Yamaha 5600 also decodes them as well and it has been out for a while. Unfortunately, it has the older lower bandwidth 10.2gbs HDMI chips instead of the newer 18gbs chips. So while it has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and handles 4K it can't handle 4K with HDR. You can work around this limitation if your Blu-ray player has two outputs or adding an HDMI splitter to your player if it only has one output. Anyway, thevrep was incorrect that there are no other bars that decode Atmos and DTS:X.

Also, while you can have the player decode the lossless format to LPCM and you will still get lossless sound but you will not get Atmos or DTS:X. To get those the sound bar needs to decode the bit stream version of those formats, Atmos/DTS:X information is not converted to LPCM.
pjtoadie97 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 2365 Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Wait. My comment didn't make sense. Sorry. Half-asleep. I'm assuming one would have to constantly change outputs on the player. One can't send a DTS bitstream to the player. Only way the bar could play LPCM from there would be to covert it. Ha. But it can't because it doesn't have the DTS codecs. So it would need to receive LCPM from the player. Thus, we will have to change outputs like I originally thought. I'll have to listen to what he says again. Basically, a DTS soundtrack = making player send PCM to Bar. Dolby Soundtrack = send it Bitstream for Atmos.

No worries! Yeah I figured that would be the case. I'm tempted to get the Pioneer bar because it's $500 less and it decodes both Dolby Atmos and all of the DTS streams (not sure about DTS:X).
post #245 of 2365 Old 05-29-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
The Yamaha 5600 also decodes them as well and it has been out for a while. Unfortunately, it has the older lower bandwidth 10.2gbs HDMI chips instead of the newer 18gbs chips. So while it has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and handles 4K it can't handle 4K with HDR. You can work around this limitation if your Blu-ray player has two outputs or adding an HDMI splitter to your player if it only has one output. Anyway, thevrep was incorrect that there are no other bars that decode Atmos and DTS:X.

Also, while you can have the player decode the lossless format to LPCM and you will still get lossless sound but you will not get Atmos or DTS:X. To get those the sound bar needs to decode the bit stream version of those formats, Atmos/DTS:X information is not converted to LPCM.

Yeah. Bitstream for Atmos. I believe he was just speaking about LCPM for the missing DTS formats until DTS:X gets added. He was rambling around at the end and made it sound like the Bar would accept anything and be able to play it. Not sure that's possible unless we fumble around with the player outputs all the time. Unless some new crazy tech just came out. Ha.

pjtoadie97 likes this.
post #246 of 2365 Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Looks like the X800 (which is in the mail) has an auto setting (apparently) which will either send Bitstream or LCPM depending on the formats of the disc. Not exactly familiar with the nuances of this, but it will alleviate having to switch output format all the time, manually.

post #247 of 2365 Old 05-29-2017, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great find, thanks
post #248 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Enjoyed the video lots of coverage about the features and setup details. Did I miss the part where he talked sound quality and atmos effects?
post #249 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 02:08 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9308 Post(s)
Liked: 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtoadie97 View Post
I just read your convo with him and he stated that no other soundbar decodes both Dolby and DTS? I believe the Pioneer bar decodes both. Unless he means both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X?
Yes they must mean Atmos and DTS:X. Because Sony soundbars have decoded Dolby and DTS for many, many years. And decoded the advanced codecs for five or six years.

My 2008 Sony soundbar decodes both Dolby and DTS and also handles 7.1 pcm. My 2012 and 2015 SOny sound bars do the same and also decode the advanced audio codecs for DTS and DD.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #250 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 02:13 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
No worries! Yeah I figured that would be the case. I'm tempted to get the Pioneer bar because it's $500 less and it decodes both Dolby Atmos and all of the DTS streams (not sure about DTS:X).
I keep going back and forth between the two. I'm sure the Sony will sound fantastic. But I would get killer bass with the Pioneer since I could use my SVS subwoofer with it. But I have no way to hear a demo of it since I don't see where Best Buy is selling either system yet.

post #251 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 02:15 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Looks like the X800 (which is in the mail) has an auto setting (apparently) which will either send Bitstream or LCPM depending on the formats of the disc. Not exactly familiar with the nuances of this, but it will alleviate having to switch output format all the time, manually.

I have the X800 and it has an auto function for which HDMI output to send audio with. But I've never seen where it will automatically switch between bitstream and PCM. You need to set that manually.

post #252 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is this soundbar out yet?

How much clear space above the soundbar is needed for Atmos to work? Planning on having it on the inside on the edge of my cabinet which will have a hole inside the height of the Sony ZD9 75" with stand.

I can connect everything to my ZD9 and have one HDMI out and use "ARC" correct? Are there pros and cons on connecting everything to TV or everything to soundbar?

Can I use wireless bluetooth headphones with the box?

Do I use the TV remote to control the soundbar(does it raise volume when I use raise volume on TV remote)?

Thanks in advance.

Birgir "keyser"
post #253 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
On the DTS and Atmos note. The Panny UHD player allows you to individually set bitstream or PCM so least you dont have to keep disabling or enabling bitstream globally incase that info is of any use. Obviously not DTS:X still
post #254 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have the X800 and it has an auto function for which HDMI output to send audio with. But I've never seen where it will automatically switch between bitstream and PCM. You need to set that manually.

My X800 is en route. I looked at the manual and it references that when set to auto it will play whatever depending on the connected device. The guy from the YouTube video said he played Logan (DTS) soundtrack on 7.1 with his X800 set to auto. So I'm assuming it will detect what the player can do and accommodate.

post #255 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
My X800 is en route. I looked at the manual and it references that when set to auto it will play whatever depending on the connected device. The guy from the YouTube video said he played Logan (DTS) soundtrack on 7.1 with his X800 set to auto. So I'm assuming it will detect what the player can do and accommodate.

**detect what the bar can do.

post #256 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 07:26 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

I'm not seeing that. If I switch my video and audio output to just my TV, I will get no audio since my TV can't do anything with Dolby True HD or dTS- HD MA. It doesn't auto switch to PCM or DD or DTS, which my TV can handle. But I on!y tried it a couple of times. And my TV is from 2015. So maybe it can work with the speaker bar and x800 since both Devices are newer?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #257 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Yes they must mean Atmos and DTS:X. Because Sony soundbars have decoded Dolby and DTS for many, many years. And decoded the advanced codecs for five or six years.

My 2008 Sony soundbar decodes both Dolby and DTS and also handles 7.1 pcm. My 2012 and 2015 SOny sound bars do the same and also decode the advanced audio codecs for DTS and DD.
Right.....I initially thought he meant that no other soundbar can decode Atmos and any stream of DTS. He meant Atmos and DTS:X.

Quote:
I keep going back and forth between the two. I'm sure the Sony will sound fantastic. But I would get killer bass with the Pioneer since I could use my SVS subwoofer with it. But I have no way to hear a demo of it since I don't see where Best Buy is selling either system yet.
I'd rather get the Sony but with the Pioneer being $500 less and able to decode Atmos and DTS out of the box (I think I read that DTS:X is coming later in the year?) might sway me to get the Pioneer.
post #258 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I'm not seeing that. If I switch my video and audio output to just my TV, I will get no audio since my TV can't do anything with Dolby True HD or dTS- HD MA. It doesn't auto switch to PCM or DD or DTS, which my TV can handle. But I on!y tried it a couple of times. And my TV is from 2015. So maybe it can work with the speaker bar and x800 since both Devices are newer?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well, count me in on one of the testers. I'll tool around and report back. I pre-ordered from B&H

As long as I know DTS:X is coming, that's good enough for me. I can deal with switching inputs for a little while. It's not like I have a massive library of discs I'm constantly playing anyways. Ha.

post #259 of 2365 Old 05-30-2017, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The Onkyo and Pioneer soundbars already support DTS:X. These sound bars doesn't simulate rears' you have to connect wireless rears for that.
post #260 of 2365 Old 05-31-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
The Onkyo and Pioneer soundbars already support DTS:X. These sound bars doesn't simulate rears' you have to connect wireless rears for that.

I heard the Onkyo bar is feature packed but sounds pretty bad. Can anyone confirm this?

post #261 of 2365 Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
I heard the Onkyo bar is feature packed but sounds pretty bad. Can anyone confirm this?

can't attest to the SQ but I thought I read that the Pioneer is just the rebranded Onkyo model?

here is Cnet's review of the Onkyo, they are saying poor sound quality
https://www.cnet.com/products/onkyo-sbt-a500/review/

Last edited by NorthJersey; 05-31-2017 at 08:20 AM.
post #262 of 2365 Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
can't attest to the SQ but I thought I read that the Pioneer is just the rebranded Onkyo model?

The Onkyo, pioneer and Integra are supposed to be similar, but there are supposed to be differences between the three. But when I looked at the specs for all three, it seemed like the actual speaker bar was the same. But only the Integra and pioneer allowed you to use your own subwoofer. Plus each one had different auto calibration. Each one used their own brand of auto calibration. And things like soundfields were different between all three.
And I think the Integra had higher quality DACs.

I expect the Sony to sound better than any of those but I know the pioneer got good reviews at CES or some other show. But I would like to be able to get a demonstration of both the Sony and Pioneer before I decide which one to purchase.
Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-31-2017 at 08:27 AM.
post #263 of 2365 Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

Yeah I saw that review, thanks! I didn't know that about the Pioneer and Onkyo bars...

post #264 of 2365 Old 05-31-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
The Onkyo, pioneer and Integra are supposed to be similar, but there are supposed to be differences between the three. But when I looked at the specs for all three, it seemed like the actual speaker bar was the same. But only the Integra and pioneer allowed you to use your own subwoofer. Plus each one had different auto calibration. Each one used their own brand of auto calibration. And things like soundfields were different between all three.
And I think the Integra had higher quality DACs.

I expect the Sony to sound better than any of those but I know the pioneer got good reviews at CES or some other show. But I would like to be able to get a demonstration of both the Sony and Pioneer before I decide which one to purchase.
Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm expecting the Sony to sound the best as well. For me it's between the Sony and Pioneer. I wish there was a way I could demo both of them.

post #265 of 2365 Old 05-31-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Does anyone know if this will support Dolby Vision as well as HDR? I imagine It will if not now eventually with an update considering the Sony Z9D will get the DV update soonish...
post #266 of 2365 Old 05-31-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Does anyone know if this will support Dolby Vision as well as HDR? I imagine It will if not now eventually with an update considering the Sony Z9D will get the DV update soonish...
I believe it will support HDR but not sure about Dolby Vision?
post #267 of 2365 Old 05-31-2017, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 46
according to the amazon product page for this soundbar, a sony rep states the soundbar does not support Dolby Vision. It does support HDR 10.

Thats according to the q and a on the product page - a sony rep responded to a question with that answer.

only thing that confuses me - i thought dolby vision wasn't dependent on a certain chip for vision to be passed through by a soundbar?

i am probably wrong - just stating that's what i thought i remembered reading somewhere.
post #268 of 2365 Old 06-01-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan View Post
according to the amazon product page for this soundbar, a sony rep states the soundbar does not support Dolby Vision. It does support HDR 10.

Thats according to the q and a on the product page - a sony rep responded to a question with that answer.

only thing that confuses me - i thought dolby vision wasn't dependent on a certain chip for vision to be passed through by a soundbar?

i am probably wrong - just stating that's what i thought i remembered reading somewhere.
Could you get around this and play Atmos on a DV Discs by putting the player first in the chain b4 the bar? You have the audio out on these players or am I wrong on how this works? Also a lot of new receivers can't pass it either!
post #269 of 2365 Old 06-01-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan View Post

http://postperspective.com/this-audi...rs-at-ces2017/

Apparently, Dolby Vision passthrough will be coming, like DTS, with updates. Technically speaking, HDMI 1.4 can pass DV.

Practically speaking though, HDCP 2.2 and 2.0 is needed for UHD content (2.0a for HDR10) so the whole 1.4 thing is meaningless.

However, despite what HDMI can do, DV still needs the AVR to have a special update to process to signal properly for passthrough so the AVR recognizes the signal as DV and handles it correctly. Just a summary from what I've read.

kinglm likes this.
post #270 of 2365 Old 06-01-2017, 12:14 PM

It seems that the only Atmos bars that can currently decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are the Pioneer and Onkyo. Am I missing any?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page