post #31 of 170 Old 02-04-2017, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dow View Post
Hey Luis,

I just purchased this soundbar. It's awesome, but I have an LG OLED B6b55" and I can't seem to get ARC to work. Right now, I have a cable box, PS4 and Apple TV connected through HDMI into soundbar amp, and I have an HDMI cable from the amp output to the HDMI2 (ARC) input on the TV. When I put the amp to "TV" as the input, I'm getting picture but no sound. I tried to redo the initial setup, but in the "Audio Return Channel" display it says "TV may not support ARC." On the LG side, I have the "Sound Out" set to "Audio Out (optical/HDMI ARC)," "Digital Sound Out" set to "Auto" and SIMPLINK "On." Any help?
I have the Oled65B6P. Make sure under the soundbar settings "Hardware" HDMI CEC is on. If that doesn't work turn HDMI CEC under general setting on the oled. Let me know if this helps. If not I'll post pics of each screen to see if we have the same setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 170 Old 02-04-2017, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Has anyone else tried out the 3D sound effect yet and if so what's your thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
post #33 of 170 Old 02-04-2017, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
I have the Oled65B6P. Make sure under the soundbar settings "Hardware" HDMI CEC is on. If that doesn't work turn HDMI CEC under general setting on the oled. Let me know if this helps. If not I'll post pics of each screen to see if we have the same setting.
I had that on earlier, but tried again, still no luck. I also tried changing the HDMI cable and resetting/powering off the unit. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, I'm so confused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 170 Old 02-04-2017, 07:53 PM

I had that on earlier, but tried again, still no luck. I also tried changing the HDMI cable and resetting/powering off the unit. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, I'm so confused!
post #35 of 170 Old 02-04-2017, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If everything is going through the sound bar, select the appropriate input on your onkyo remote. Only select the tv Input on your onkyo remote when using your apps from the tv itself. That is when arc is activated.
hingerson likes this.
post #36 of 170 Old 02-04-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
If everything is going through the sound bar, select the appropriate input on your onkyo remote. Only select the tv Input on your onkyo remote when using your apps from the tv itself. That is when arc is activated.
I finally gave in and went out and bought a digital optical cable. The suggestion you just gave of only using the Onkyo "TV" input when I'm using Netflix or Amazon from the LG worked, but I can't get ARC to work to save my life. Maybe I should just call it a day and be happy with the optical out working? In the end, it's just to get the 4K content from the LG apps...

I wish I could get ARC working, but I just can't. Screen shots of your settings on the LG sound and the Onkyo setup would be amazing... it feels to me like the LG and Onkyo just aren't playing well together. Did ARC just work for you out of the box?
post #37 of 170 Old 02-04-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I finally gave in and went out and bought a digital optical cable. The suggestion you just gave of only using the Onkyo "TV" input when I'm using Netflix or Amazon from the LG worked, but I can't get ARC to work to save my life. Maybe I should just call it a day and be happy with the optical out working? In the end, it's just to get the 4K content from the LG apps...

I wish I could get ARC working, but I just can't. Screen shots of your settings on the LG sound and the Onkyo setup would be amazing... it feels to me like the LG and Onkyo just aren't playing well together. Did ARC just work for you out of the box?
Wait I'm confused if his suggestion worked then arc should be working?

Luis A Romero likes this.

LG 65 B7A
post #38 of 170 Old 02-04-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
Wait I'm confused if his suggestion worked then arc should be working?

No, ARC is through HDMI. I shouldn't need an optical cable, it should all work through the HDMI (ARC) port. It's more a convenience thing than anything.
post #39 of 170 Old 02-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Okay this is my second post, but I am very very interested in possibly purchasing this system in a couple of weeks or so. Originally I was looking at purchasing the Onkyo tx-nr656 and was going to pair them with the polk tl1600, but space became a factor and is not a viable option.

So now after much research I am eyeing this system, but I do have a question I would like to ask. Currently I watch alot of movies on Vudu, and most movies are encoded in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. I was really wondering does this soundbar do a decent job of still creating the surround effect when playing a 5.1 soundtrack despite the lack of rear speakers? Any input on this is highly appreciated.

I know this is like Deja-vu lol but I am dying to get some input on how this thing does with 5.1 audio, and the surround effect this unit provides when playing 5.1. Anyone? Input is highly appreciated. :-) I'm going crazy trying to figure this out lol. Right now it is what most of my Vudu movies are encoded in, really hoping it does decent, until I get more atmos encoded movies in the future.
post #40 of 170 Old 02-05-2017, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am also looking at this system or the identical Pioneer Elite FS-EB70. This is one of the few systems that has a subwoofer out port. I already have a very nice HSU subwoofer that I use for music and it has two line level inputs.

Can the wireless sub that comes with it and a wired sub both work at the same time or is it one or the other? I might just use the HSU, my guess it is the better of the two subs.

Word has it that the Pioneer product will start shipping the first week of February.

Can the volume on the subwoofer out port be adjusted?

Last edited by HendersonD; 02-05-2017 at 04:13 AM.
post #41 of 170 Old 02-05-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
No, ARC is through HDMI. I shouldn't need an optical cable, it should all work through the HDMI (ARC) port. It's more a convenience thing than anything.
Oh right I thought you were saying it worked with the HDMI, I ordered this system last week still waiting. I also have a 55" OLED I can see if it works for me I'll post the results.

LG 65 B7A
post #42 of 170 Old 02-05-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phibes View Post
Okay this is my second post, but I am very very interested in possibly purchasing this system in a couple of weeks or so. Originally I was looking at purchasing the Onkyo tx-nr656 and was going to pair them with the polk tl1600, but space became a factor and is not a viable option.

So now after much research I am eyeing this system, but I do have a question I would like to ask. Currently I watch alot of movies on Vudu, and most movies are encoded in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. I was really wondering does this soundbar do a decent job of still creating the surround effect when playing a 5.1 soundtrack despite the lack of rear speakers? Any input on this is highly appreciated.

I know this is like Deja-vu lol but I am dying to get some input on how this thing does with 5.1 audio, and the surround effect this unit provides when playing 5.1. Anyone? Input is highly appreciated. :-) I'm going crazy trying to figure this out lol. Right now it is what most of my Vudu movies are encoded in, really hoping it does decent, until I get more atmos encoded movies in the future.
I'm am still waiting for my unit to arrive and I'll gladly report here my thoughts on that. For what it's worth the OP Luis stated earlier that he was impressed with the 3D sound field this thing creates, not sure if you saw that. He said it made tomb raider come alive. So it sounds like it does a pretty solid job with virtual surround.

Dr Phibes likes this.

LG 65 B7A
post #43 of 170 Old 02-05-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post
I am also looking at this system or the identical Pioneer Elite FS-EB70. This is one of the few systems that has a subwoofer out port. I already have a very nice HSU subwoofer that I use for music and it has two line level inputs.

Can the wireless sub that comes with it and a wired sub both work at the same time or is it one or the other? I might just use the HSU, my guess it is the better of the two subs.

Word has it that the Pioneer product will start shipping the first week of February.

Can the volume on the subwoofer out port be adjusted?
Oh very interesting I have a very nice Rythmik sub I didn't realize this had a subwoofer out that's awesome. I ordered mine last Wednesday but some confusion on Onkyo's end it still hasn't shipped so I'm crossing my fingers it'll ship Monday and arrive later this week.

LG 65 B7A
post #44 of 170 Old 02-05-2017, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've posted some pics of the settings. Hope this helps. Also posted picture of TV firmware version.
On the receiver, ARC will light up when active. So are you not getting picture or sound is a better question? What exactly is it you are trying to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1945137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1945145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1945153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1945161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1945169  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1945177  
post #45 of 170 Old 02-05-2017, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh very interesting I have a very nice Rythmik sub I didn't realize this had a subwoofer out that's awesome. I ordered mine last Wednesday but some confusion on Onkyo's end it still hasn't shipped so I'm crossing my fingers it'll ship Monday and arrive later this week.

This unit does not have a subwoofer output. No idea where that info is coming from. spec sheet link below

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...A500_US-02.pdf

Last edited by Luis A Romero; 02-05-2017 at 08:52 AM.
post #46 of 170 Old 02-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I'm am still waiting for my unit to arrive and I'll gladly report here my thoughts on that. For what it's worth the OP Luis stated earlier that he was impressed with the 3D sound field this thing creates, not sure if you saw that. He said it made tomb raider come alive. So it sounds like it does a pretty solid job with virtual surround.

Thanks hingerson, I really appreciate any feedback you could provide. :-) I did see the OP's comment, I just wanted to reiterate that was what he was saying lol.
post #47 of 170 Old 02-05-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
This unit does not have a subwoofer output. No idea where that info is coming from. spec sheet link below

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...A500_US-02.pdf
It's funny because when you look at this product on Onkyo's website, and click on the features tab it says it has a subwoofer pre-out, but looking at pics it showed no indication of having a subwoofer pre-out. I admit I was confused as well for a bit. Now the very very similar Pioneer Elite fs-eb70 does have a subwoofer pre-out though, but I still prefer the Onkyo for whatever reason, regardless.

Last edited by Dr Phibes; 02-10-2017 at 08:30 AM.
post #48 of 170 Old 02-06-2017, 12:15 PM

Liked: 12
I thought that the Onkyo product and the Pioneer product were identical except for badging. Did not realize the Onkyo unit did not have sub line out where the Pioneer does
post #49 of 170 Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
To owners of this soundbar unit. Where did you end up setting the sub level? I ran the auto calibration with the included mic on a tripod as I normally do with any of my audio setups. The software set my sub level to -2db. I normally manually turn the sub level up from what the calibration software does as it is usually too low. I am currently at +3db but it still sounds a bit boomy depending on the source/content I am watching. My room is fairly small at 15' x 12' with hard floors.

Thanks

Randy

Randy J. Fisher, CTS-D
post #50 of 170 Old 02-07-2017, 11:47 AM

I just got mine in and I'm setting it up, I don't have a tripod so I can't do it that way. How much does calibration for a system like this help? Also with no tripod the consensus seems to be to set the microphone on the back of the couch does that seem okay?

LG 65 B7A
post #51 of 170 Old 02-07-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
For those who are just buying this system, it come with a feature called Dolby Surround enhancer which creates virtual rear speakers. Also, it features the DTS neural X which creates a 3d sound field. Once these are activated, they create an awesome surround effect. Great for your movies. I love it for gaming (Especially Tomb Raider on PS4 Pro. The caves, tombs, etc come alive)
When you say Dolby surround enhancer do you mean Dolby enabled speaker? That's the only option I'm seeing?

LG 65 B7A
post #52 of 170 Old 02-07-2017, 01:54 PM

Never mind I see the Dolby surround enhancer option. But when I'm gaming on Xbox you can't have them both enabled I don't think? I have my Xbox audio set to bitstream out but then I have to select bitstream format Dolby Digital or DTS digital surround and depending which one I choose I can get the option of DTS neural X or with Dolby I get the surround enhancer option. How do you have yours set?

LG 65 B7A
post #53 of 170 Old 02-07-2017, 03:09 PM

Sorry for multiple post's so on my Xbox I changed it to 5.1 uncompressed instead of bitstream out and then I get both options, but I don't think they work in tandem as far as I can tell it's one or the other. On the onkyo remote if it hit the movie/TV option it gives me the Dolby options and if I hit the game button on the onkyo remote I get the DTS options, of the 2 I think the Dolby surround enhancer sounds better then the DTS neural X. But you don't use your Xbox one S for playing Blu rays do you Luis?

LG 65 B7A
post #54 of 170 Old 02-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Sorry for multiple post's so on my Xbox I changed it to 5.1 uncompressed instead of bitstream out and then I get both options, but I don't think they work in tandem as far as I can tell it's one or the other. On the onkyo remote if it hit the movie/TV option it gives me the Dolby options and if I hit the game button on the onkyo remote I get the DTS options, of the 2 I think the Dolby surround enhancer sounds better then the DTS neural X. But you don't use your Xbox one S for playing Blu rays do you Luis?

As far as I can tell, its only one or the other
hingerson likes this.
post #55 of 170 Old 02-07-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toesocks View Post
As far as I can tell, its only one or the other
Yea that appears to be correct, so you must have got yours all setup by now? What do you think? How do you have yours set? Any recommendations?

LG 65 B7A
post #56 of 170 Old 02-07-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I've posted some pics of the settings. Hope this helps. Also posted picture of TV firmware version.
On the receiver, ARC will light up when active. So are you not getting picture or sound is a better question? What exactly is it you are trying to do?
I was kinda overwhelmed with a Super Bowl party this weekend, so sorry for the delay. Thanks for the pics! I'll check my settings when I get home. From everything I can tell from your pics, I have tried all those settings, but I will check firmware version as well. Basically, I get picture when I choose the "TV" input on the Onkyo, but I do not get sound. I tried playing the LG apps like Netflix... picture and sound on with optical, picture and no sound otherwise. I have also tried the initial setup multiple times, and it always says ARC is not available. Basically, all I'm trying to do is watch Netflix and Amazon 4k content through ARC.

Luis, do you have all your HDMI devices plugged into the TV, or into the Onkyo receiver? I may have to get on with Onkyo support, it could be a faulty unit.
post #57 of 170 Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 AM

Liked: 10
Sound is off

I have had my A500 for a little over a week. I have played with every setting possible, including the Onkyo Controller App for my phone. While watching TV series and several movies, some scenes are causing an echo/ tunneling effect on dialogue. I think it may be due to the style of the room. The room has a sloped ceiling that is open on the second floor with a railed walkway that runs the length of the room overlooking the 1st floor where the unit is. Kind of disappointed with the sound from this soundbar. I have played with ceiling height, all settings, turned up the center channel to improve dialogue. Still on many programs, the sound has that tunnel effect with dialogue. Any suggestions for settings that may improve this. I have programed using a tripod twice, and I am going to try again a 3rd time. Unit may be going back. Any input would be appreciated.
post #58 of 170 Old 02-08-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpollack View Post
I have had my A500 for a little over a week. I have played with every setting possible, including the Onkyo Controller App for my phone. While watching TV series and several movies, some scenes are causing an echo/ tunneling effect on dialogue. I think it may be due to the style of the room. The room has a sloped ceiling that is open on the second floor with a railed walkway that runs the length of the room overlooking the 1st floor where the unit is. Kind of disappointed with the sound from this soundbar. I have played with ceiling height, all settings, turned up the center channel to improve dialogue. Still on many programs, the sound has that tunnel effect with dialogue. Any suggestions for settings that may improve this. I have programed using a tripod twice, and I am going to try again a 3rd time. Unit may be going back. Any input would be appreciated.
Even with dialogue enhancement on your having a hard time hearing it?

LG 65 B7A
post #59 of 170 Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Even with dialogue enhancement on your having a hard time hearing it?

Yes, even with dialogue enhancement on. Now the remote doesn't want to work correctly either. Changing volume and it put the system into test mode. I think I am going to have to RMA it.

Last edited by dpollack; 02-08-2017 at 09:23 AM.
post #60 of 170 Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
To owners of this soundbar unit. Where did you end up setting the sub level? I ran the auto calibration with the included mic on a tripod as I normally do with any of my audio setups. The software set my sub level to -2db. I normally manually turn the sub level up from what the calibration software does as it is usually too low. I am currently at +3db but it still sounds a bit boomy depending on the source/content I am watching. My room is fairly small at 15' x 12' with hard floors.

Thanks

Randy

I've had the Onkyo for exactly a week and have run the auto calibration a dozen different times as well as experimented with virtually all the settings. I might be wrong, but I believe the -2db sub level is the default. Others should chime-in if otherwise.

If I'm watching a movie on HBO or other surround content, the subwoofer is disappointing. It's often very harsh, "tubby" and way too localized. I've repositioned the subwoofer to all locations in my living room but I'm always annoyingly aware of it's position. The room is 14 x 14 x 9 and sound absorption is good.

Dpollack has mentioned the tunneling effect wiping out dialog. I've also had this experience. It occurs infrequently but it's very disarming and seemingly impossible to remove in all surround modes.

For the time being, I'm using the unit exclusively for 7.1 soundtracks on UHD Blu-ray where it does a very convincing job. Otherwise, my Sony 940c seems better for everyday viewing.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page