28Likes

post #61 of 170 Old 02-08-2017, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpollack View Post
I have had my A500 for a little over a week. I have played with every setting possible, including the Onkyo Controller App for my phone. While watching TV series and several movies, some scenes are causing an echo/ tunneling effect on dialogue. I think it may be due to the style of the room. The room has a sloped ceiling that is open on the second floor with a railed walkway that runs the length of the room overlooking the 1st floor where the unit is. Kind of disappointed with the sound from this soundbar. I have played with ceiling height, all settings, turned up the center channel to improve dialogue. Still on many programs, the sound has that tunnel effect with dialogue. Any suggestions for settings that may improve this. I have programed using a tripod twice, and I am going to try again a 3rd time. Unit may be going back. Any input would be appreciated.
slopped ceiling is a NO when it come to reflecting sound upwards then down. Take it back. You are better off with something that provides separate rears to get surround. The room just isn't right for this type of setup. Unless you leave it in 3.1, then you should be ok. But you payed for atmos/dts x, so I wouldn't bother with this setup. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 170 Old 02-08-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
slopped ceiling is a NO when it come to reflecting sound upwards then down. Take it back. You are better off with something that provides separate rears to get surround. The room just isn't right for this type of setup. Unless you leave it in 3.1, then you should be ok. But you payed for atmos/dts x, so I wouldn't bother with this setup. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.
Thanks. Still finicky with the remote too. Gave it a shot, back to Onkyo it goes. Guess I will pick up either a Bose Soundtouch 300 or Sonos Playbar. Any suggestions between the 2?
post #63 of 170 Old 02-08-2017, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
I've had the Onkyo for exactly a week and have run the auto calibration a dozen different times as well as experimented with virtually all the settings. I might be wrong, but I believe the -2db sub level is the default. Others should chime-in if otherwise.

If I'm watching a movie on HBO or other surround content, the subwoofer is disappointing. It's often very harsh, "tubby" and way too localized. I've repositioned the subwoofer to all locations in my living room but I'm always annoyingly aware of it's position. The room is 14 x 14 x 9 and sound absorption is good.

Dpollack has mentioned the tunneling effect wiping out dialog. I've also had this experience. It occurs infrequently but it's very disarming and seemingly impossible to remove in all surround modes.

For the time being, I'm using the unit exclusively for 7.1 soundtracks on UHD Blu-ray where it does a very convincing job. Otherwise, my Sony 940c seems better for everyday viewing.

Jim
adjust the crossover setting for the sub in the settingS menu. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 170 Old 02-08-2017, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. Still finicky with the remote too. Gave it a shot, back to Onkyo it goes. Guess I will pick up either a Bose Soundtouch 300 or Sonos Playbar. Any suggestions between the 2?
Go bose. I actually used to own one lol. don't forget to purchase the sub with it. Without it, just not that good in my opinion.
post #65 of 170 Old 02-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Go bose. I actually used to own one lol. don't forget to purchase the sub with it. Without it, just not that good in my opinion.
Thanks for the input. No sub in my future. Wife can't stand the base. Running an old Logitech Z5500 in my office (Best system I have ever owned, especially for PC speakers) and a Dayton Audio SUB-1000 on my outdoor porch system. I get complaints about the 'thumping' from her, so I am just going to keep it basic. Looked at the ZVOX SB500 too. Trying to find a sub $1000 solution for the family room that everyone can enjoy and fits between the leg of my Samsung 55" KS8000. The more input the better. The size and low profile of this system was perfect for the space, just not for the room layout. Packing this up is going to be fun.
post #66 of 170 Old 02-09-2017, 06:54 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
I just received my STB-A500 still in the box actually and have sloped ceilings also. Was hoping I would be able to adjust the system to somewhat compensate for the ceiling shape but it appears not.
So should I just return it before even opening it or try it out and see how it does? And if it goes back what would be a replacement?

Unfortunately the wife wouldn't be happy with wired speakers so I was looking for something simple.

Thanks
post #67 of 170 Old 02-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I had the Sonos playbar I definitely would say if you go that route then get the sub with it. My big issue with Sonos is the fact that it's basically just stereo it bugged me to much so I sold it not sure on the Bose soundtouch. If your not in a huge hurry you could get the new Sony HT St 5000 Atmos sound bar it's 800 watts and supposedly will accommodate ceilings up to 17 feet high.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
post #68 of 170 Old 02-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspock View Post
I just received my STB-A500 still in the box actually and have sloped ceilings also. Was hoping I would be able to adjust the system to somewhat compensate for the ceiling shape but it appears not.
So should I just return it before even opening it or try it out and see how it does? And if it goes back what would be a replacement?

Unfortunately the wife wouldn't be happy with wired speakers so I was looking for something simple.

Thanks
It's a tough call you may love it or it might not cut it, an optional replacement like I told dpollack could be the new to be released Sony Atmos sound bar. I'm so far loving this sound bar.

LG 65 B7A
post #69 of 170 Old 02-09-2017, 06:31 PM

Luis it seems you've had a lot of different sound systems, do you plan on trying anymore this year?

LG 65 B7A
post #70 of 170 Old 02-09-2017, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Hingerson. when you have time I would be very interested in hearing your input and thoughts about this system, particularly with the surround effect, with and without Atmos.
post #71 of 170 Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
I had the Sonos playbar I definitely would say if you go that route then get the sub with it. My big issue with Sonos is the fact that it's basically just stereo it bugged me to much so I sold it not sure on the Bose soundtouch. If your not in a huge hurry you could get the new Sony HT St 5000 Atmos sound bar it's 800 watts and supposedly will accommodate ceilings up to 17 feet high.

The problem isn't the height. It's the slope. The sound has to bounce off a flat surface. So atmos is out of the picture unless ceiling mounted speakers are used and aimed to the seating position. I don't think he wants to do a home theater so I think the Bose would be a great fit (with sub ). There is a Yamaha yas-706 you should try. Heard good things about it.
post #72 of 170 Old 02-09-2017, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Luis it seems you've had a lot of different sound systems, do you plan on trying anymore this year?

😂 funny you say that. I'm waiting on the Sony atmos and lg sj9. I'll buy both and see which one I prefer and return one of them. I want to have enough Money for another lg oled. Not sure if new ones would be worth the upgrade or buy another b6 for less money.
post #73 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
😂 funny you say that. I'm waiting on the Sony atmos and lg sj9. I'll buy both and see which one I prefer and return one of them. I want to have enough Money for another lg oled. Not sure if new ones would be worth the upgrade or buy another b6 for less money.
Yea I want to get a 4K OLED this year I have the last 1080p model they released. Not sure if I should just jump on the b6 also I think the new ones are almost identical but can get a little brighter.

LG 65 B7A
post #74 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea I want to get a 4K OLED this year I have the last 1080p model they released. Not sure if I should just jump on the b6 also I think the new ones are almost identical but can get a little brighter.

So how are you enjoying the soundbar?

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
post #75 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
So how are you enjoying the soundbar?
I really like it, I love the little receiver box makes it nice and clean. The sound I find is very good while calibration definitely helps a lot ( I bought a tripod lol ) with Surround enhancer or DTS neural X enabled it gives you a very good immersive sound field. Haven't had a chance to test an Atmos Blu ray yet that will be my next test. I think it's a keeper I am curious about the Sony soundbar though when it's released although the reviews for their last flagship the st9 are pretty horrible.

LG 65 B7A
post #76 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I really like it, I love the little receiver box makes it nice and clean. The sound I find is very good while calibration definitely helps a lot ( I bought a tripod lol ) with Surround enhancer or DTS neural X enabled it gives you a very good immersive sound field. Haven't had a chance to test an Atmos Blu ray yet that will be my next test. I think it's a keeper I am curious about the Sony soundbar though when it's released although the reviews for their last flagship the st9 are pretty horrible.

The one I liked the most, believe it or not, was the Samsung HW-K950. The 2 things I didn't like were the size of the bar and the DTS limitations. The sound was awesome though. The oled sits low on the stand so the sound bar blocked the bottom and it was a no go. And since I like to sit 7 feet away from screen, I did not want to mount the screen just to accommodate the sound bar. The Onkyo is at its best with atmos. I'm impressed with the little guy

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS

Last edited by Luis A Romero; 02-10-2017 at 06:47 AM.
post #77 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
The one I liked the most, believe it or not, was the Samsung HW-K950. The 2 things I didn't like were the size of the bar and the DTS limitations. The sound was awesome though. The old sits low on the stand so the sound bar blocked the bottom and it was a no go. And since I like to sit 7 feet away from screen, I did not want to mount the screen just to accommodate the sound bar. The Onkyo is at its best with atmos. I'm impressed with the little guy
Yea the DTS limitations are kind of baffling on that, I recently changed my entertainment stand it's 20" tall and 70" wide I and I put my TV on a little riser so no sound bar should ever be an issue for me 🙂 I'll post a picture when I get home later. I have a feeling the Sony is going to be fairly huge same with the LG I want to be covered either way in case I switch things up later this year lol.

LG 65 B7A
post #78 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 07:05 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
The problem isn't the height. It's the slope. The sound has to bounce off a flat surface. So atmos is out of the picture unless ceiling mounted speakers are used and aimed to the seating position. I don't think he wants to do a home theater so I think the Bose would be a great fit (with sub ). There is a Yamaha yas-706 you should try. Heard good things about it.
Don't think I can talk her into a full home theater. I will take a look at the YAS-706 and the Bose which was on ,my short list before the Onkyo.
Has anyone tried the Yamaha YSP-2700?

Thanks

Last edited by nspock; 02-10-2017 at 07:14 AM.
post #79 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Don't think I can talk her into a full home theater. I will take a look at the YAS-706 and the Bose which was on ,my short list before the Onkyo.

Thanks
If you go with the Bose and not the sub, they have the wireless rears that sound amazing with the bar alone. I tested them out, just wasn't satisfied with the options.
post #80 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've got mine set up

Finished setting mine up, and I love it. I've been using it for general/everyday TV, Gaming, movies, and PC. Only thing that I find weird, is occasionally when I pause or FF TV there is a split second echoing after play has stopped. Not a reason to return though. Anyone else see this?
post #81 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 08:23 AM

This unit sounds almost perfect for what I am looking for. I also do not want to mount my tv just to make a soundbar work without obstructing the view, and if the sound quality is very good, and immersive I'm sold. The only thing I kind of wish it did have is rear surrounds though. Otherwise this looks great, and looks like will be what I go with.
post #82 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks
I own the ysp-2700 also. That's my baby when it comes to surround sound. Go to their website, download their manual and see if you have the right environment for their unit.

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
post #83 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phibes View Post
This unit sounds almost perfect for what I am looking for. I also do not want to mount my tv just to make a soundbar work without obstructing the view, and if the sound quality is very good, and immersive I'm sold. The only thing I kind of wish it did have is rear surrounds though. Otherwise this looks great, and looks like will be what I go with.
The onkyo will be playFi ready when firmware releases. This mighty be the answer to adding rears to this unit. Crossing fingers that they release their own playFi enabled rears for this unit.
hingerson likes this.

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
post #84 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
The onkyo will be playFi ready when firmware releases. This mighty be the answer to adding rears to this unit. Crossing fingers that they release their own playFi enabled rears for this unit.
Indeed that would be great. Fingers crossed as well!
post #85 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phibes View Post
Indeed that would be great. Fingers crossed as well!
Check out play-fi.com knowledge base and read about creating surround sound system with playFi . The onkyo unit will be the main hub and so forth. It's a good read.
hingerson likes this.

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
post #86 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Check out play-fi.com knowledge base and read about creating surround sound system with playFi . The onkyo unit will be the main hub and so forth. It's a good read.
Will do. thanks Luis, I really appreciate it!
post #87 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I looked it up that's pretty cool stuff, would be way sweet if Onkyo releases there own wireless rears 😀

Dr Phibes likes this.

LG 65 B7A
post #88 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do you feel there are any drawbacks to this speaker? Seems like every one I look into I end up finding something I'm unhappy with. Sonos and it's lack of good surround format support, Bluesound and their lack of Pandora, etc. I also dislike the ones that did not use HDMI and just relied on optical. So far, this Onkyo seems to support everything I want and have decent sound quality. Beyond it being a soundbar and not discrete speakers - is it missing anything?
post #89 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolooloo View Post
Do you feel there are any drawbacks to this speaker? Seems like every one I look into I end up finding something I'm unhappy with. Sonos and it's lack of good surround format support, Bluesound and their lack of Pandora, etc. I also dislike the ones that did not use HDMI and just relied on optical. So far, this Onkyo seems to support everything I want and have decent sound quality. Beyond it being a soundbar and not discrete speakers - is it missing anything?
Honestly this one doesn't really have flaws I can point out. It's one those more complete sound bars out at the moment. For the money, you are not going to find anything better in my opinion. It is a steal for $899. Believe me I've been through a hand full and I have a lot of needs and this pretty much fulfills my needs. The one things I don't like lol is that the connection for the calibration is on the back and not in the front. What will you be using it for?
hingerson, Dr Phibes and woolooloo like this.

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS

Last edited by Luis A Romero; 02-10-2017 at 01:57 PM.
post #90 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolooloo View Post
Yea I think Luis said it nicely, I've personally been though quite a few soundbars myself and this really is one of the few that's in my opinion a complete package. I'm thrilled that this decodes pretty much all of the major audio codecs which up until now that was almost always lacking and to top it off this thing has 4 HDMI inputs which is great!

LG 65 B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page