Onkyo SBT-A500 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Senior Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
Honestly this one doesn't really have flaws I can point out. It's one those more complete sound bars out at the moment. For the money, you are not going to find anything better in my opinion. It is a steal for $899. Believe me I've been through a hand full and I have a lot of needs and this pretty much fulfills my needs. The one things I don't like lol is that the connection for the calibration is on the back and not in the front. What will you be using it for?
Lol okay the mic input for calibration on the back is a ding haha

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
hingerson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
Lol okay the mic input for calibration on the back is a ding haha

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
when I calibrated it for a second time with a different crossover, I was so annoyed reaching in the back trying to find it lol. I had it placed nicely in the entertainment unit. I guess when you are always testing and calibrating, simplicity is best. Below is a pic when I had the bose and yamaha going toe to toe. I would switch everyday and test with so many movies, games, etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1957681  

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS

Last edited by Luis A Romero; 02-10-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Luis A Romero is offline  
post #93 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 02:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
Honestly this one doesn't really have flaws I can point out. It's one those more complete sound bars out at the moment. For the money, you are not going to find anything better in my opinion. It is a steal for $899. Believe me I've been through a hand full and I have a lot of needs and this pretty much fulfills my needs. The one things I don't like lol is that the connection for the calibration is on the back and not in the front. What will you be using it for?
Primarily, for now, for TV and movie watching in a medium size room with flat 8' ceilings. Seems nearly ideal for the environment.

Long term I'd like to integrate additional speakers around the house and outside for music like you can with Sonos, and it sounds like this will be capable of this at some point if not right now.

Thanks for the insight, I am definitely leaning towards this. I might go for the Pioneer Elite twin if it is released prior to me pulling the trigger.
woolooloo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolooloo View Post
Primarily, for now, for TV and movie watching in a medium size room with flat 8' ceilings. Seems nearly ideal for the environment.

Long term I'd like to integrate additional speakers around the house and outside for music like you can with Sonos, and it sounds like this will be capable of this at some point if not right now.

Thanks for the insight, I am definitely leaning towards this. I might go for the Pioneer Elite twin if it is released prior to me pulling the trigger.
Let me know how you like the pioneer. I personally think it is ugly lol. But supposedly same guts and all. Couple of differences and options. Wish I had one to test side by side with the onkyo

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
Luis A Romero is offline  
post #95 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
when I calibrated it for a second time with a different crossover, I was so annoyed reaching in the back trying to find it lol. I had it placed nicely in the entertainment unit. I guess when you are always testing and calibrating, simplicity is best. Below is a pic when I had the bose and yamaha going toe to toe. I would switch everyday and test with so many movies, games, etc
Just curious luis what happens with all the other soundbars?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
hingerson is offline  
post #96 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
Just curious luis what happens with all the other soundbars?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Bose is gone. Yamaha is in the living room at the moment. family is using it for their shows since I'm using the onkyo. Samsung was returned since I couldn't use it because of its size.

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
Luis A Romero is offline  
post #97 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
Bose is gone. Yamaha is in the living room at the moment. family is using it for their shows since I'm using the onkyo. Samsung was returned since I couldn't use it because of its size.
Ahhh okay lol, so earlier you said you like to sit about 7' from the screen, is that from your 65"? I'm actually thinking I can go bigger this year I'm sitting just over 8' right now couch to screen and from your comment and I've been in the OLED forum as well and somebody went from a 50" to a 65" OLED and their viewing distance was 6'6" and they love it so it's got me thinking now lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
hingerson is offline  
post #98 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo o samsung

Friend I am undecided between samsung HW K950 and Onkyo SBT A500, samsung is 5.1.4 onkyo is 3.1.2
Luis Alberto Tua is offline  
post #99 of 170 Old 02-10-2017, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
Ahhh okay lol, so earlier you said you like to sit about 7' from the screen, is that from your 65"? I'm actually thinking I can go bigger this year I'm sitting just over 8' right now couch to screen and from your comment and I've been in the OLED forum as well and somebody went from a 50" to a 65" OLED and their viewing distance was 6'6" and they love it so it's got me thinking now lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
yes, it is a 65". It is very immersive.

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
Luis A Romero is offline  
post #100 of 170 Old 02-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Member
 
sweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
when I calibrated it for a second time with a different crossover, I was so annoyed reaching in the back trying to find it lol. I had it placed nicely in the entertainment unit. I guess when you are always testing and calibrating, simplicity is best. Below is a pic when I had the bose and yamaha going toe to toe. I would switch everyday and test with so many movies, games, etc
Much has been said about adjusting the crossover frequency of the subwoofer. Please indicate where you're finding this adjustment. I can locate the LFE dB settings that adjust the output of the sub but not the crossover.

Jim
sweeney is offline  
post #101 of 170 Old 02-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dow View Post
I was kinda overwhelmed with a Super Bowl party this weekend, so sorry for the delay. Thanks for the pics! I'll check my settings when I get home. From everything I can tell from your pics, I have tried all those settings, but I will check firmware version as well. Basically, I get picture when I choose the "TV" input on the Onkyo, but I do not get sound. I tried playing the LG apps like Netflix... picture and sound on with optical, picture and no sound otherwise. I have also tried the initial setup multiple times, and it always says ARC is not available. Basically, all I'm trying to do is watch Netflix and Amazon 4k content through ARC.

Luis, do you have all your HDMI devices plugged into the TV, or into the Onkyo receiver? I may have to get on with Onkyo support, it could be a faulty unit.
Thanks for all help Luis!

So I finally had to call Onkyo support to deal with the ARC issue. Took over 30 minutes to get a human, but the tech rep was nice and helped me understand some things.

Unfortunately, she said ARC sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (as many sites and articles have said.) She said that is largely the reason they supply the Optical In option, because ARC can be hit or miss. She was happy to take back the unit, but she said even getting a new one doesn't guarantee success.

Though the Optical connection is working great, I did decide to buy some top of the line HDMI 2.0 cables, only 3 feet, so I can see if that may be the problem and because I get OCD about these things . Doubtful that my old HDMI cables are the issue (I've already tried two different ones out of the ARC port) but who knows? I'll let you all know the results, as I 'm sure I won't be the only person to run up again this problem.
Mike Dow is offline  
post #102 of 170 Old 02-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dow View Post
Thanks for all help Luis!

So I finally had to call Onkyo support to deal with the ARC issue. Took over 30 minutes to get a human, but the tech rep was nice and helped me understand some things.

Unfortunately, she said ARC sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (as many sites and articles have said.) She said that is largely the reason they supply the Optical In option, because ARC can be hit or miss. She was happy to take back the unit, but she said even getting a new one doesn't guarantee success.

Though the Optical connection is working great, I did decide to buy some top of the line HDMI 2.0 cables, only 3 feet, so I can see if that may be the problem and because I get OCD about these things . Doubtful that my old HDMI cables are the issue (I've already tried two different ones out of the ARC port) but who knows? I'll let you all know the results, as I 'm sure I won't be the only person to run up again this problem.
Dang man that sucks your having this issue, I never use the TV apps I use the new 2017 Nvidia shield TV ( highly recommend btw ) but for the sake of testing I tried the TV apps and arc worked no problem. The attached picture is a little blurry but you can see it says arc


Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
hingerson is offline  
post #103 of 170 Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been meaning to ask, has anyone tried this unit with music? Just curious how it does and sounds with music.
Dr Phibes is offline  
post #104 of 170 Old 02-15-2017, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phibes View Post
I've been meaning to ask, has anyone tried this unit with music? Just curious how it does and sounds with music.
It's not bad. stereo mode works best. I wouldn't call it great though.

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
Luis A Romero is offline  
post #105 of 170 Old 02-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
It's not bad. stereo mode works best. I wouldn't call it great though.
Thanks Luis, I really appreciate the feedback. :-)
Dr Phibes is offline  
post #106 of 170 Old 02-19-2017, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
steevo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Bought the onkyo. 7.1 sources sound great. 5.1 not so much. Flat even with "surround" on.

Also - ARC is sporadic. More troubling are second long to a few seconds dropouts that occur. Seems like an hdmi handshake thing. This is going back to the store.

Some guy
steevo123 is offline  
post #107 of 170 Old 02-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
Bought the onkyo. 7.1 sources sound great. 5.1 not so much. Flat even with "surround" on.

Also - ARC is sporadic. More troubling are second long to a few seconds dropouts that occur. Seems like an hdmi handshake thing. This is going back to the store.
Where did you buy it from?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Luis A Romero likes this.

LG 65 B7A
hingerson is offline  
post #108 of 170 Old 02-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
rfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Whitehall, PA.
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Bought the onkyo. 7.1 sources sound great. 5.1 not so much. Flat even with "surround" on.

Also - ARC is sporadic. More troubling are second long to a few seconds dropouts that occur. Seems like an hdmi handshake thing. This is going back to the store.
I haven't noticed any dropouts in the few weeks I have had this soundbar and the arc has been working perfectly (so far). I wonder if it's a cable or display compatibility issue.

Randy

Randy J. Fisher, CTS-D
rfisher is offline  
post #109 of 170 Old 02-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
Bought the onkyo. 7.1 sources sound great. 5.1 not so much. Flat even with "surround" on.

Also - ARC is sporadic. More troubling are second long to a few seconds dropouts that occur. Seems like an hdmi handshake thing. This is going back to the store.
I'm returning mine as well this thing is flat most of the time

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
hingerson is offline  
post #110 of 170 Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: California
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Exclamation

I bit the bullet and ordered one of these this week, figured it was 50/50.. just set it up..

.. and there is a firmware update!

SBT-A500
(Current Version 2001-0010-1010-0001)
The 2/23/2017 update will address the following:
1. Minor bug fixes and performance updates.
2. Adds baseline support for FireConnect.
This update will enable streaming from Network Services /USB/
Bluetooth/Music server.
*Sampling rates of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz are supported.(USB/Music
server)
*Onkyo Controller App is required to enjoy FireConnect.
*Note for Bluetooth pairing: If Bluetooth devices were previously
paired, you must pair the devices again after the Firmware update is
complete.

I can't post links yet, but it's on the Onkyo site.

I was playing around with it before the update and it seemed to be a little touchy with ARC/switching audio modes. I had to turn the unit off and back on to get a picture. I was having some audio dropout issues too.

After the update I haven't had any of those issues (yet). Trying to play around and see how it goes.

Otherwise.. the sound is nice. I'm coming from an old Yamaha 2.1 soundbar (YHT-S400 I think) so this seems very nice.

Popping in my Oblivion UHD disk to test out Atmos..

But everyone should check out the firmware, took maybe 10 minutes to download and install.
EnemyNSA is offline  
post #111 of 170 Old 02-25-2017, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyNSA View Post
I bit the bullet and ordered one of these this week, figured it was 50/50.. just set it up..

.. and there is a firmware update!

SBT-A500
(Current Version 2001-0010-1010-0001)
The 2/23/2017 update will address the following:
1. Minor bug fixes and performance updates.
2. Adds baseline support for FireConnect.
This update will enable streaming from Network Services /USB/
Bluetooth/Music server.
*Sampling rates of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz are supported.(USB/Music
server)
*Onkyo Controller App is required to enjoy FireConnect.
*Note for Bluetooth pairing: If Bluetooth devices were previously
paired, you must pair the devices again after the Firmware update is
complete.

I can't post links yet, but it's on the Onkyo site.

I was playing around with it before the update and it seemed to be a little touchy with ARC/switching audio modes. I had to turn the unit off and back on to get a picture. I was having some audio dropout issues too.

After the update I haven't had any of those issues (yet). Trying to play around and see how it goes.

Otherwise.. the sound is nice. I'm coming from an old Yamaha 2.1 soundbar (YHT-S400 I think) so this seems very nice.

Popping in my Oblivion UHD disk to test out Atmos..

But everyone should check out the firmware, took maybe 10 minutes to download and install.
no other notes on the performance updates or bug fixes?

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
Luis A Romero is offline  
post #112 of 170 Old 02-25-2017, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
I'm returning mine as well this thing is flat most of the time

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
do tell. What happened?

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
Luis A Romero is offline  
post #113 of 170 Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Senior Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
do tell. What happened?
It did okay with actual Atmos content but as much as I wanted to be impressed with it the sound was just lacking for me, they did a good job with all the audio formats it could handle but seemed more concerned with a low profile soundbar then actual quality sound. I'll admit it's probably my own fault I had a receiver with 2 separate speakers and honestly it sounded way better. Sooo I'm pretty much done with powered sound bars they to me are still light years behind being able to compete and I've tried a quite a few. The good news is I did find a passive soundbar the GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D array X and it absolutely has stunning sound and an awesome sound field I was able to listen to a demo setup at the local dealers I found via GoldenEars website and he's placing an order for me Monday. The bar is 999.00 which is quite a bit but the return of the Onkyo covers that and as mentioned I already have a receiver and my Sub is amazing it's a Rythmik audio sub needless to say I'm very excited for my new bar to arrive. Sorry for the wall but seriously read the overview of this soundbar they put some serious work into it
https://www.goldenear.com/products/supercinema3d

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
hingerson is offline  
post #114 of 170 Old 02-25-2017, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
It did okay with actual Atmos content but as much as I wanted to be impressed with it the sound was just lacking for me, they did a good job with all the audio formats it could handle but seemed more concerned with a low profile soundbar then actual quality sound. I'll admit it's probably my own fault I had a receiver with 2 separate speakers and honestly it sounded way better. Sooo I'm pretty much done with powered sound bars they to me are still light years behind being able to compete and I've tried a quite a few. The good news is I did find a passive soundbar the GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D array X and it absolutely has stunning sound and an awesome sound field I was able to listen to a demo setup at the local dealers I found via GoldenEars website and he's placing an order for me Monday. The bar is 999.00 which is quite a bit but the return of the Onkyo covers that and as mentioned I already have a receiver and my Sub is amazing it's a Rythmik audio sub needless to say I'm very excited for my new bar to arrive. Sorry for the wall but seriously read the overview of this soundbar they put some serious work into it
https://www.goldenear.com/products/supercinema3d

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Just curious. I'm in it to test them as they evolve the tech. I come from a series of JBL studios 5.1 so I know the feeling. How was the return? I thought getting to the right channel to request a return was a hassle. If you ever go to a bose store, demo the full setup of the sound touch 300 with sub and wireless rears. Tell me what you think.
ohiocanefan likes this.

LG OLED65B6P
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
PS4 PRO
XBOX ONE S
VERIZON QUANTUM FIOS
Luis A Romero is offline  
post #115 of 170 Old 02-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
hingerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
Just curious. I'm in it to test them as they evolve the tech. I come from a series of JBL studios 5.1 so I know the feeling. How was the return? I thought getting to the right channel to request a return was a hassle. If you ever go to a bose store, demo the full setup of the sound touch 300 with sub and wireless rears. Tell me what you think.
Honestly I was super worried it would be a major hassle, I got in touch with there returns department and explained that I just wasn't satisfied with the sound, they told me they just need to run it past the supervisor and they would E-mail me. A few hours later I got the email with my RA number and packed it up. FedEx sent me a shipping label and I took it down and dropped it off. Onkyo paid return shipping which I wasn't expecting. I'll have to give that Bose a listen I haven't heard there stuff in awhile I wrote it off after 2 different systems from them that I found lacking

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
hingerson is offline  
post #116 of 170 Old 02-26-2017, 01:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
Honestly I was super worried it would be a major hassle, I got in touch with there returns department and explained that I just wasn't satisfied with the sound, they told me they just need to run it past the supervisor and they would E-mail me. A few hours later I got the email with my RA number and packed it up. FedEx sent me a shipping label and I took it down and dropped it off. Onkyo paid return shipping which I wasn't expecting. I'll have to give that Bose a listen I haven't heard there stuff in awhile I wrote it off after 2 different systems from them that I found lacking

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


I also returned it. It was super easy.
ohiocanefan is offline  
post #117 of 170 Old 02-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: California
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A Romero View Post
no other notes on the performance updates or bug fixes?
That was the extent of the details in the PDF, not sure if there is anywhere else to get more in depth detail.

Had some friends over yesterday and watched:

Hacksaw Ridge UHD (Atmos), Star Trek Beyond UHD (Atmos), Oblivion UHD (Atmos), and Big Trouble in Little China Blu-ray (DTS-MA).

Sound was pretty good throughout. I had it turned up louder than I normally would, and it was pretty rocking. Dialog was clear, bass was decent. Need to play around with the different settings and modes, but the normal stock settings seem fine to me.

My phone could not find the soundbar to connect via Bluetooth, but I am not sure if its the bar or my phone, I didn't really dig into it too much. Will try again this week.

Pandora over Wi-Fi sounded good, super easy to use and get started. Nice to have so many different things built in.

My only repeatable issue is with UHD Atmos.. but I am not sure if its the Xbox One S beta software or the soundbar. When I start a UHD disk with Atmos audio, I can hear the menu audio fine (It's not atmos for that audio), but when the movie starts there is no sound. The soundbar shows no audio is being outputting. If I go back to the menu and start again, the proper Atmos audio is outputted for the duration of the movie. It's not deal breaking, but it's a little annoying. I don't have another UHD player to test so I guess I'll wait and see if there is an update for the Xbox software. The issue didn't happen with DTS audio on Blu-ray.

It would be nice if the microphone input was on the front or side.. it's a little bit of a pain to pull the unit out of the entertainment system to connect it.. but that's a bit of a nitpick because I'm lazy!

ARC/CEC seems to work fine, this is my first time using it, as I've always had devices that didn't want to get along. Trying to get the Xbox+Kinect get along with ARC/CEC flawlessly.

So far I'm happy.. It was $899 which was more than I wanted to spend, but so far it is fitting my specific needs! I can't mount speakers, there isn't really any room for a 3 speaker setup on the entertainment center either.
EnemyNSA is offline  
post #118 of 170 Old 03-29-2017, 06:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I have just purchased this, a few things I wanted to confirm,

Are all the HDMI ports 4K 60hz with HDR or just 1 port, I have read conflicting reports.

Now with the latest firmware update is it possible to add wireless rear surround speakers or is this something we are still waiting for, if this is enabled what speakers would you suggest.

I know onkyo are releasing there own wireless speaker but it doesn't seem to be available in the uk.

Cheers.
speighty1 is offline  
post #119 of 170 Old 03-30-2017, 09:45 PM
Newbie
 
obidow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
Dang man that sucks your having this issue, I never use the TV apps I use the new 2017 Nvidia shield TV ( highly recommend btw ) but for the sake of testing I tried the TV apps and arc worked no problem. The attached picture is a little blurry but you can see it says arc


Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hey all,

Just wanted to send a quick update. I finally fixed my ARC issues by buying a new 3' HDMI cable. I purchased a "high-end" cable (though pretty much everyone claims there is no such thing), but I truly think it was the distance that made the difference.

So if you're having ARC issues, consider a shorter cable!

Mike
theike likes this.
obidow is offline  
post #120 of 170 Old 03-31-2017, 09:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone else having a similar issue, with my old soundbar (a vizio) connected via arc the TV turned the soundbar on and off automatically. With this Onkyo bar connected the same way it turns off when I turn the TV off, however it does not turn back on. Worse yet if I turn the TV on before the bar sound did not work, so I now have to keep two controllers around.
Bobbum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off